Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
looks great, but still some work for you...
Some work.

That would be an understatement. It will be a busy month or so getting the car easy for the track. Will post photos of the disassembly and re-assembly as it progresses. Just collecting parts and planning at this point.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Jim: I haven't been following your thread, just taking a peek now and then, when it dawned on me that you were going Vintage racing with a REPLICA ! I have been toying with the idea of selling my Kirkham as a vintage racer, but didn't know which racing assoc allowed replicas. Had been trying to contact Ric Parent @ svra, and tried to make contact with him at Sebring last sat, but he wasn't there.(home with the flu I was told)
I just now did a quick review of your thread, and lo and behold, I see that SVRA does allow some replicas. Could you tell me who at SVRA was/is your contact ?
Looks like your car will be something special, good luck with it !

Ted
this is what the FIA says, regarding their HTP (historical technical passport),
the FIA HTP might be the most valuable paper for historic racing:

"The HTP is essentially a sporting document and says nothing about the authenticity, provenance, origins, etc, of a car. It is concerned only that the car’s specification is that of the particular model it purports to be, the whole purpose of the HTP is to try to ensure that cars accord with the authentic specification and can therefore compete with one another fairly.
This HTP must refer to a historic period in the life of the car/model considered (a “snapshot”). This is not necessarily the point of original manufacture. Period Specification is defined as corresponding to the configuration of the model, proven to the satisfaction of the FIA to have existed in the period in which it is classified (Art. 3.3.1 of FIA Appendix K).
Whether the car is wholly original, partly original, assembled wholly or partly out of period components or a copy or replica built recently is not relevant to the issuing of an HTP. The prime criteria to be granted an HTP is that the car represents a provable specification and type that competed internationally in period."
Old 03-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

The FIA "HTP" is important for Europe and some vintage organizations but HSR and SVRA make their own regulations and recognizing the dwindling grids have chosen to allow proper replicas to compete so long as they are done "period correct" (to their definition of "correct" as 65-66 GT350 are so much faster than in the day) and allowing composite vs. alloy body construction.

We have some Cobra owners who are interested in replicating their original CSX/COX/COB cars to race without some of the risk.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 03-12-2017, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Attached are some new photos showing the front transverse leaf spring suspension. Real nice looking work.

Jim
Jim

I sent Ross a note regarding the suspension....before you do anything....you must square up the suspension to the chassis....

Then it needs to be bump steered.....both front and rear....that has been a real issue with these cars since I got involved with them......it will make a huge difference on a race track.....driving on the street verses a track is way different....and the loads You put on the suspension will cause it to do strange things......they can drive ok on the street.....but the track will show a different side to the suspension.......

Just a thought....

Morris
1985 CCX, 1795 and 120mm like this.

Last edited by Morris; 03-12-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris,

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing that information from Ross. I figured that there will be some suspension adjustments required for the track. Plan on doing some corner weights and figuring out best placement for the battery, fire system and fuel cell to try to keep things fairly balanced.

Keep the advice flowing, it keeps me busy and thinking whir I await arrival of the car.

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Ross just forwarded the final set of pictures to me. the car is finally ready for shipping and should be on the big boat heading home soon! Where is a transporter when you need one?! Beam it over here Scotty!

For your viewing pleasure,

My work will be starting soon! Now I have to sit back and wait. Race seat, fuel cell, fuel pump, and a few other parts will be arriving today and the harnesses, fire system, kill and start switches should be arriving by next week.

Jim
I see your's is SPFR 0011, ours is SPFR0012,

It arrives CA. 4/8.

Mark
Jim Kellogg, 1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.

Last edited by Moto One; 03-22-2017 at 10:55 AM..
Old 03-22-2017, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Looks nice. You will be about a week ahead of me; mine does not arrive until 4/17. What are your plans for yours

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

It's going to see a fair number of track days, but mostly road trips (some big mile ones) as you can tell by the bumpers. Then you never know, in time it could go in the direction that you are going.

Would it be to much to ask if you could send me copy the info on the suspension set-up Morris sent you? I'll send you a PM with email.

Thanks

Mark.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Sure, no problem. I will get back to you in a few days. Just got back from a hectic trip to California and have a few busy days ahead of me.

Jim
Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

1795 and MOTO ONE, both of your cars look amazing. I continue to look forward to the finished product.
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto One View Post
Jim,

It's going to see a fair number of track days, but mostly road trips (some big mile ones) as you can tell by the bumpers. Then you never know, in time it could go in the direction that you are going.

Would it be to much to ask if you could send me copy the info on the suspension set-up Morris sent you? I'll send you a PM with email.

Thanks

Mark.
Mark,

You should start a build thread and tell everyone about the particulars of your build. Have you settled on an engine and transmission? What differential are you using, tires, etc.?

What is your timeframe for getting it on the road?

Jim
Old 03-23-2017, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC cox 2699 roadster Riverside FIA RSR2001
Not Ranked     

Mark, Congrats on your purchase and may you have many pleasurable miles behind the wheel. Nice to see your take on the bumpers!
As far as setting these cars up for the track is concerned will depend on the drivers preference ,but we spent a lot of time and effort on the positioning of the rack to do away with bumpsteer as best we could and I`m happy to say the result is good. Did you purchase the manual? because in there I have laid out what is a good base setting.
Please feel free to contact me re any ?`s
Ross
Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the support, the motor is a 363 Ford Racing with Borla injection, coupled to a Tremec close ratio 5 speed, and ZF with 3.45. We will be getting the manual.

I would like to say we were doing the build, but that is being handled by a trusted contractor. Our timeline is to have it on the road by mid May, adding break-in miles/tuning. I will be adjusting the suseptson to our driving preferences, and getting reacquainted with driving a Cobra , with a track day in June, Or so that's the plan for now.

Mark.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Sounds like you will be moving right along. It should be a fun car for you. Just sent an email to you regarding suspension setup. Good idea to get the manual, there is a lot of useful information in it. Post pictures as the car comes together, and good luck.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 03-24-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1950, Roush 402R, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Moto One
What is the colour of your car. It's gorgeous!!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Moto One
What is the colour of your car. It's gorgeous!!
Galaxy Blue.

Mark.

Thanks James, got your Emil...
1985 CCX likes this.

Last edited by Moto One; 03-24-2017 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: brain malfunction
Old 03-27-2017, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Mark,
Your Owner's Manual Package is complete and will be mailed to you early this week. Thanks again, and I enjoyed the stories when we spoke on the phone last week....

Blas
1985 CCX and Moto One like this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 03-30-2017, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Blas.

Mark.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Prep work

Well, it is getting close. The roller should arrive on the 17th and soon it will be here. I re-sealed the rear cover on the differential so that the RTV would have time to cure before placing fluid in it. Had to give a little thanks to Morris and Ross for their work on the rear cover.

The "Th" from thanks did not come out vey well.

The Hoosier's are at Olthoff racing and the engine should be done the end of this week.

Jim
Riverside racer likes this.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Counting down also, MONDAY, MONDAY, we also start the SB100 paper chase next week.

Mark

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: