Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Race Video US Vintage Grand Prix

Finally got around to downloading a video. Weill look to see if there are any other good ones. This one is from early on during the 60 minute enduro. I am battling with a 6 cylinder Porche and a Lotus Super Seven. We were running 2:16 laps at the time, which equates to about an average speed of 92 MPH over the 3.47 mile course. Wish that I had some video of my last race, was running 2:16 laps battling with three corvettes. Passed one of them, then got caught in some traffic and after I got through it closed the distance on the other two but could never gt by them. Lot's of fun.

Here is the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/VMmvpfM8rNA

Jim
Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Very cool Jim, and congrats.

Now that you seem to have the engine dialed in, whats your opinion on the 48 ida weber setup over your old setup?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,

Love them! The car just pulls and is smooth. Pretty much instant acceleration without any stalling. Perfect setup for the track.

Jim
Old 09-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Some pictures of the Time Machines Superformance FIA 289 at the Glen.
Attached Images

1985 CCX and peterpjb like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

Thanks for posting the photos. It is definitely a team effort. I greatly appreciate all of the support, guidance and knowledge that I have received from Time Machines and Olthoff Racing. The person filling the fuel cell during the enduro was Dennis Olthoff, Rick was offering technical assistance from behind the wall. Both the FIA and I have benefitted from it. Looking forwards to next years racing season.

Jim
Old 11-04-2019, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just watched your video and your car looks dialed in nicely. I am sure this has been listed somewhere but what tires and treadwear rating do you have to use? Also, that "porsche" is a 914 - I am a bit surprised it was a quick as it appeared on the straights - they are great in the corners. Looks like fun - good for you!

Tony
Old 11-04-2019, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,

Thanks for the comments. The tires are Hoosier TD-R's and the treadler rating on them is "0". They are a bias ply tire. Yes that 914 was pretty quick. It has a 6 cylinder in it, that is why it appears quicker than you would expect. I almost passed it a couple of times. They switched drivers during their pit stop. The first driver was not quite as good as the second and he trended to break way too hard for some turns; almost ran up his rearend a couple of times. Which then caused me to have to brake hard and throw my rhythm off. Hoping to move forward, correct some mistakes and drive faster next year. Nothing like racing a cobra.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 11-04-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Sounds like fun! I doubt the loss from the Holley vs webers will be huge. Given the complexity of getting the webers right possibly the Holley will actually give more power.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seat of the pants feel is that the Webers have all the torque I need. For the first time I have to modulate the throttle pedal in second gear to avoid breaking the rear end loose on hard acceleration. The Webers are tuned in nicely and fully synced. It is a blast going head to head on the track with other cars. It will get your adrenaline pumping.
Jim Kellogg likes this.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ford Racing 363/8-stack injection, SPFR0012
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Jim on a good season. 0011 is looking and running good.

Mark.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mark. How are things with 0012? Looking forward to next year. Right now trying to finish the exterior work on the new house before the snow starts flying. Have spent the last couple of days putting cedar shake shingles on the sides of the dormers on a 12/12 pitch. Not fun work, especially when it is cold and rainy. supposed to get wet snow tomorrow.

Jim
Old 11-10-2019, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

0012 is doing well, we'v had some problems with vapor lock on hot days. Something you wouldn't think would happen with fuel injection, only seems to happen with someone other then me driving it. ??? Only change to it this year was the addition of driving lights. I too need to do some deck sealing this week, before snow flies here. Maybe today? Next year I'll be doing siding, windows, and repaving the driveway. If it's not one of the cars it's the house in need of work.

Take care, don't slip on the snow.

Mark.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Trying to get out to race

Well, it has been a frustrating race year so far. Finally did the move to the new place and have been seeing up the garage. Nice to have a level floor! Getting the car prepped. Ordered a spare set of Hoosiers and they arrived the next day!

Drained the oil and changed the filter yesterday and today I reset the valve lash. I could hear some rattle at the end of last year, especially 7&8, and sure enough the exhaust valves were a few thousandths loose.

Also added some artwork to the wall.

So far my race season has changed from the original plan. I was going to race at Lime Rock in CT the end of May, but that has been pushed back to the end of July. If Lime rock was going to be cancelled, I was going to do a David Murry track days at Watkins Glen the beginning of June, but that just got cancelled. So far my first race will be with SCCA's Historic Race Group on the July 4th weekend at Watkins Glen. Then planning on doing the vintage race at Lime Rock, followed by the US Vintage Grand Prix at Watkins Glen in September. Might do one more vintage race at the Glen in October depending on the weather.

Just saw that the Governor has opened up horse racing and auto racing as of June 1 with no spectators allowed at this time. Will be kind of weird with no spectators, hopefully that will change by the Vintage Grand Prix because that is such a spectators event. I understand the need and am not complaining, would feel awful if someone went to watch me race and died as a result. Hell, I hate to see people pay to watch me race and will cover their entrance fee.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 05-17-2020 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: new information
Old 05-17-2020, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, congratulations on the move. It's great to see that you are keeping 0011 on track.

Mark.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mark,

Thanks. Yes 0011 will be getting some action in a couple of months, but she is jealous of 0012 and all those other road worthy cobras that have been able to get out and put some miles on. Now that we are getting some sunny days, I do miss driving the back roads.

Jim
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jim - I like the art work back up on the wall of your new digs. Looks good! Best of luck in the new season whenever it occurs. Post lots of pics and videos.
Bill
Old 05-18-2020, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
....she....

Jim
Hi Jim,

Your car's a "she"?? So, a feminine personality, with plenty of muscle, plenty of attitude....and loud exhaust?? Doesn't sound like any ladies I know. Have you checked under the skirts?

Just saying....my Alfa's knickname is "Larry". He's loud, smelly, grumpy, thirsty, demanding....so no feminine characteristics there whatsoever.

The Cobra...he hasn't turned a wheel in anger yet, but I'll bet he has some similar traits to "Larry". I'll have to wait and see how his character develops further before excercising naming rights....but he's definitely masculine.

Cheers
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 05-18-2020 at 10:31 PM..
Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen,

The Cobra is a she so as to maintain my masculinity, because I love her...and she will kill you in a heartbeat, just like any good woman
1985 CCX, LoBelly and Moto One like this.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default HSR race at Watkins Glen July 9-12

Well it looks like I will finally get on the track. Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) is having a race at Watkins Glen from July 9-12. The first day is a test day and for setup. It will be a no spectator event and Rick Muck is going to be one crew member, still looking for a second. Ross Henry would have been the other, but the border with Canada is not opening up until later in July. I have not raced with HSR previously, they seem like an ok group. The head tech person liked what I had done with the car to make it vintage eligible, although he stated that he would have let me still use the Wilwoods instead of having to install the Girlings. It is nice having he Girlings for authenticity, but it is a hinderance when the other cars I am racing against are using modern brakes that stop faster and more consistently, but what the hell, who needs brakes anyhow.

Hopefully I will have some good video for you guys and some nice runs. Reviewed my video from last year and can easily see where I can shave off a couple of seconds with later braking and a better line in a couple of corners.

Am also glad that I get some seat time on a familiar track before having my next race at Lime Rock, where I have never been and right now we are looking at a pretty crowded field of about 35 cars on a 1.5 mile track. That's a lot of traffic on a short course.

Jim
1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Mid -Ohio in two weeks for me, looking at a sizeable field in Group 6, just hoping the weather cooperates.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350