Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech Cobra Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I thought the car was the one being warranted not the person? You buy an unfinished car for that kind of money it should be transferable. I also think that the warrantee on these components shouldnt start until its registered. I know I'll get a lot of flack on that but its an idea that should be looked into if you want the public to believe in your product. Ive heard a lot of good things about Superformance but this isnt one of em. In a world of misinformation this industry needs to do everything it can to put it all up front. Theres too much money involved not to. If there is anyone that can speak for Superformance in an official capacity let em step up and explain it all so we can hear it from the top. I happen to like their cars so throw your rocks in someone elses direction. Michael
is a just God that presides over the destinies of nations. The battle sir, is not to the strong alone. Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it almighty God. I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."' Patrick Henry.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Michael ~ well said........thanks!!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2275 #50 of the anniversary edition cars. Roush 427R TKO600
Not Ranked     

I am of the same opinion of woodsy. It seems as though all of his post regarding superformance are negative and unnecessary. I for one can't take anymore whining. When I bought my car, I didn't even ask if it had a warranty. In a specialized market like this, the dealers know that they have to take care of the customers. I didn't even buy mine from my local dealer and they still treat me like family. Dealer support is one of the reasons I bought an SPF.

Trig
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you do not like how someone post than do not open their threads. I know one thing for sure, most of us have to much time on our hands for as much time as we spend on this forum LOL. As far as Superformance or any other car which has an MSRP in excess of 40K and does not have AC,PS, engine, transmission, pw, power door locks, cruise control, climate control, anti-lock brakes, power seats, radio, power mirrors, how hard would it be to warrant for 2 years? I am also surprised at the personal attacks in this thread, I guess you guys that go to church can tithe a little more this Sunday and all will be well again!! Let the flames begin, I am sure I will not be alone in Hell!!
TheExtreme likes this.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx
I am also surprised at the personal attacks in this thread...
Yeah...that's got to stop, people.

Either discuss the thread's topic (Warranty terms) or refrain from posting on this one.

It should be easy to verify the terms by one of the recent SPF customers.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, nice bashing. The best part is the bashing without knowing the full story and assuming I'm, how was it put, nice, but dysfunctional?

I haven't posted the full story, because it could hurt some businesses. Let's just say the selling decision was not made on a whim and was not a simple change of mind.

Last edited by rsimoes; 12-06-2006 at 03:57 AM..
Old 12-05-2006, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Forget the full story. I'm going to wait for the movie..
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 514 ci
Not Ranked     

All I know is my SPF is now 7 years old with well over 30,000 miles and I STILL get some things addressed by my dealer (Dynamic) and or SPF in CA for nothing or next to nothing. Granted, they are not big items but SPF nor Dynamic owe me a thing. So, as far as I am concerned, I have received better warranty service from SPF / Dynamic than I do from any of my 6 other cars which include Lincoln, Jaguar, Lexas and GM (Corvette) all of which are high end cars.

That said, I would hardly expect SPF to expose themselves to potential liability for warranty issues on second hand cars by breaking their own written policy and setting the precedent of extending the warranty to a second purchaser. If they do that for one, how can they refuse others? While the car in question as no engine and is unquestionably "new" insomuch as it has never been driven, many new owners might go out and pound the crap out of a car and then sell it and I sure would not want to be holding the liability of warranty issues if I was the manufacturer. I don't know why any of these kit car companies (or factory built replicas or whatever description one wants to use) offer any warranties at all.....but I am glad that they do.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#131 520 cubes; 650 HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimoes
I haven't posted the full story, because it could hurt some businesses. Let's just say the selling decision was not made on a whim and was not a simple change of mind.
Rob,
Admittedly, I don't know all of the circumstances behind your sale, and I do not want to get in on any "bashing" of your personality here. But, what is the purpose of trying to make digs on the Superformance name by even starting this thread in the first place?
As Woodsy pointed out, you are in essence a middle man in your particular car-sale transaction, and thus, the warranty is apparently not extendable to the next owner.... PERIOD! But, on the same token, so what?
I am the second owner of an OLD Superformance generation, but even if I bought it when the car was a year old or less, I wouldn't expect a warranty to follow me as a matter of "law".. Also, as so many others have mentioned here, having a relationship with the dealer, whether Dynamic or whoever, would probably suffice to get any "realistic WARRANTY" work done on the car you just sold anyway...
So, I put it back on you, what is your purpose in this thread?
I also saw your posting regarding the power output of a Keith Craft stroker engine package the other day... I am trying to figure your intent with that one to? Engine builders, even as good as Keith Craft is, can never guarantee EXACT results on every build... You know that right?
Car builders of the "hand made" variety like ALL Cobra replica manufacturers, cannot guarantee the same results twice either. You know that right?
How many Stradivarius Violins or Steinway pianos are "exactly" the same/sound the same?
Look at the ORIGINAL Cobras, those were all over the board in terms of quality/likeness to each other...
Rob, repectfully here, you may not be the kind of guy that would be happy with ANY Cobra replica... They all require some tweaking/wrenching/attention done by THE OWNER that a Ferrari/Porche/Z-06 Corvette owner can have "taken care of" at the local dealership... Warranty period or not...
I actually think that you and I are a LOT alike Rob... I think we BOTH like "perfection".. The difference is that I am willing to accept that "perfection" in my eyes may be unobtainable from anybody else but ME. So, I go about finding something CLOSE to my level of "perfection" and I tailor it MYSELF to my personal level of expectation if need be....
IF your own issue was with a particular SPF dealer, then again, what is the purpose of this thread besides to try and disparage the Superformance name because said "dealer" couldn't meet your level of expectation, even AFTER you had already agreed (by buying the car) to a certain level of "expectation" in the first place?
No offense intended here.. I just think you may be happier with something other than a Cobra replica, UNLESS you want to build it ALL YOURSELF!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I can tell you that my SPF was several years old when I bought it. I can also tell you that the few times I have had dealings with what I would say is the "local" spf dealer, I have had nothing but heart burn. I can also say that when I went to have things fixed here locally and they had to get spf specific parts from that local dealer....their response was....."what an ass".

I have not had the favorable SPF support everyone is talking about. I also was thinking of doing a GT 40 and could not even get a test drive in the GT40 when it was here at a local show...even with the wife standing there with the check book ready to go. Everyone else that wanted one did, but they were not even serious buyers that I could tell.

I do like my car. I think it is well made, but I am slowly redoing everything as there are lots of updates for the older cars. I know now that I am going to have to go some where else for parts and info in the future...the guys in OH sound like they are supporting their spf customers well.

But the point is, not all the dealings with SPF dealers are great. I will not be buying any more cars from them based on my lack of service/support.

Buzz
Old 12-06-2006, 08:44 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

PJS50,

The purpose of the thread was to simply point out that the warranty is not transferrable. Something I did not know until yesterday and I thought other potential buyers should know, just in case, since it is quite common for these cars to get sold quickly after purchase.

I can't believe how out of hand this post has gotten and how much people are reading into it.

I don't have a vendetta against Superformance. I just had a very bad experience. Much like you can have a lemon, but it doesn't mean that all the cars made that company are lemons, what matters more than anything is how that company handles your lemon problem. And, No, I did not have a lemon SPF.

Last edited by rsimoes; 12-06-2006 at 08:56 AM..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess pressure applied in the right place works. I just heard back that Superformance will honor the warranty for the new owner, since the car never left the dealership. Good for the new owner! To be fair, I wanted to post the positive as well.

Last edited by rsimoes; 12-06-2006 at 11:30 AM..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Frankly,

I'm surprised any of y'all think there should be any warranty. These things aren't (can't be) sold as completed cars and the expected use may vary significantly. I have heard some say that they paid a lot of money... Who cares... If you paid $250K for a finished race car, what warranty would you get - NONE. I think the sale of rollers or ktis should be as-is, caveat emptor; you never know what someone is going to do goofy after they take it home.

And get off Rob's case. Just because you're in love with Superformance doesn't mean he has to be and he does have a right to voice HIS complaints here. Frankly, if I didn't know better, from listeniing to y'all, I'd think owning an SPF resulted in y'all not putting your pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. Not sure I could be hung-up on the brand enough to join your elite group.

Just my $.02
Old 12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

"from listeniing to y'all, I'd think owning an SPF resulted in y'all not putting your pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. Not sure I could be hung-up on the brand enough to join your elite group."

I have not seen SPF owners refer to themselves as an elite group. It seems non SPF owners are the ones thinking that SPF owners are somehow different.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Funny, I thought it was Shelby owners who thought they were an elite group?

Kidding, kidding, kidding... sorry, the devil made me do it

Just curious; what type of warranty would one expect to get from a car manufacturer such as Superformance, or their dealership network?

The only thing that I can think of, given the way these cars are intended to be driven, would be the quality of the paint job and maybe the durability of the fiberglass body (i.e., no premature cracks). Any drivetrain issues, (engine and transmission), would probably be covered by the builder, as would electrical components.

I don't remember any discussion with Everett-Morrison regarding warranty issues, I was just happy to get the parts that I ordered in a reasonable amount of time. I knew it was a component vehicle and have never, ever thought of it in the same terms as any other new car purchase.

- Dan
Old 12-06-2006, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     

What a thread.....

SPF evidently has a warranty that goes with their new vehicles (term applied liberally; forebearance required here, please). They do this, likely because they have confidence in what they create, and want that known. Like any warranty, it covers some aspects of their creation and does so for a specified limit. What's not clear here is just how that limit is defined, start & stop.

Other mfgrs don't offer warranties, for many of the reasons stated in prior posts. Maybe they are afraid of direct product liability; maybe they are afraid of end-user application; maybe they are afraid of......hell, you pick the reason. The simple fact is they don't.

RSimoes angst was SPF's decision, now modified, not to extend their provided warranty to the new owner of this unused car - seemed unjustified to him. Now SPF does also. And I think that says truly positive things about them.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"RSimoes angst was SPF's decision, now modified, not to extend their provided warranty to the new owner of this unused car - seemed unjustified to him. Now SPF does also. And I think that says truly positive things about them."

Yes it does. I also got a personal call from Lance today saying that if the dealer did not come through (they did) he would. Also he said that he would like to make my situation right and asked me to call him when I am ready. He gave me his phone number and asked me to call him directly, anytime. That was impressive.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stryffeler
Funny, I thought it was Shelby owners who thought they were an elite group?

- Dan
OUCH!

jdog
Old 12-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Rob, glad to hear that things are getting resolved to your satisfaction. Amazing what basic communication and a couple phone calls can accomplish, huh?

People are basically decent. It's the exceptions you read about in the newspapers everyday.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

RNT,

That is the beauty of being IN a group that thinks itself elite: The insiders never know it but everyone else does...

Actually, most SPF folks are great, but some will just not allow anyone to have a negative expression of opinion and since all SPF owners share something in common, they may tend to stick together as human nature dictates. My grandpappy always told me to be careful of who I align myself with...

And Dan, you're right, it did sound like I was talking about Shelby owners... Hahaha. I wonder why? Maybe the similarity in behaviour that evokes a similar judgement by the bystanders???

I better lay low for a while now...
Closed Thread