Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Superformance

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

BTW,

They are "V" rated DOT and in stock @ Sasco Sports 434-822-7200

$317 - 245's
$373 - 295's ......uh, that's each.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default I love my Pyrometer

My little Extech Pyrometer from Lowes cost me about $75. Instant, accurate temps on the fly, and in real time (or with max and min) with a pull of the trigger and it has a little red laser pointer so I know where I'm shooting. I take the temps in the middle of the tire and about an inch in from each side. If the center of the tread is hotter than edges, the pressure is too high. If the edges of the tread are hotter than the center, pressure is too low. You can also see the effects of camber. For instance, if the inner edge is hotter than the outer edge, the suspension has negative camber. I adjust the tire pressure so that the middle of my tire has a temperature that is mid way between the two outer temperatures. Other fun things to do with a pyrometer on your Cobra: Check the efficiency of your radiator, check when your thermostat is opening, check the efficiency of your oil cooler, check the temps of each one of your header tubes, see what temp your brake pads are running, and so on, and so on. You can also use it to check the temperature of the stove, refrigerator, the kids when they come down with a fever, etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

For what it is worth........I have been down to Hillbank Motorsports in Irvine , Calif.....and they have different tires available for their cars. One of the new options are the Avons! They actually sell their cars with them if that is your preference. Also, long ago, probably early last year, I had the info on the Avons....and had brought it up on this site, and FFR's. Not much knowledge at that time from most , but after extensive research, I found they have been using them in Europe for awhile, and they are 'the tire' there for racing enthusiasts!! I know they are expensive, but when your only insurance and defense are........your shoes.........you just deal with price and rest knowing you have the best you can get. Now, 17's are a different matter. I, however, like most of you, like the 15' look. I am waiting to see if, or when, they might offer these with raised white letters. Once that happens.......they will be mine.
fred z
ps. It looks like Amer. Racer might have the tire and the lettering in development. Not sure, but would guess they would.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default Avons

Can someone post the measured outside circumference of the front and rear 245 and 295 Avons, preferably mounted (at the center of the tread)? Thanks
Old 04-29-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.rogerkraustires.com/Avon/AVCR6ZZ.shtml

Here ya go.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Avons on an SPF.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Dan here's a link to a pic of my car http://www.eurosunday.net/sacramento...s/100_1212.htm

245 fronts and 295 rearsl
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbullet View Post
Dan here's a link to a pic of my car http://www.eurosunday.net/sacramento...s/100_1212.htm

245 fronts and 295 rearsl
Link says "Not Found"

I went back and altered the link and this worked.

http://www.eurosunday.net/sacramento...-steve/slides/

Last edited by Silverback51; 04-29-2008 at 11:17 AM..
Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default Avon diameters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Thanks Bret, but Roger just posts the numbers from the manufacturers, which are often not exact. For example, I recall the "billboard Cobra tires" show as having the same height front and rear, when in reality there is about a 1/2" difference in diameter.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/atta...1&d=1209490049
DSC01001a.jpg

hope this worked
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2008, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061 View Post
That would be me.
I have my second set of Avons in the garage ready to mount as soon as the weather turns (probably late March). I have right at 6000 miles on the first set and they are pretty much ready to be put out to pasture. I competed at Run-n-Gun on these tires (took first place in big block street - Road Course, second place - Autocross, second place - drag race). I also participated in four days worth of open track events at VIR and have 2 dozen or more 1/4 mile passes on them. My street driving style could be described as "spirited".
I put around 30,000 mile worth of street and track wear on Yoko Avids before switching to the Avons. There is absolutely no comparison between these two tires. The Avids are a great value highway cruising tire. That's about all I can say good about the Avids when comparing them to the Avons.
I expect that one could get around 10k miles out of a set of Avons if they drove only on the street, but I'm not sure that they would be worth the extra $$ if the car isn't pushed towards it's limits occassionally. On the street the car handles like a true performance vehicle instead of like a 60s muscle car.
At the track the Avons come within a hair of keeping up with full on racing slicks. They are not cheap, but in terms of grins, they are worth every penny. I'd say the performance difference is similar to giving your engine a nice extra 50/75 hp jolt. There's my .02.
Be safe and have fun.
-steve
Do you recall the 60ft time for the drag race and your starting technique? Trap speed? Just currious to get an idea of power vs ability to hook on hard acceleration.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #113, 482 aluminum FE 601hp
Not Ranked     

I just got the Avons last week from Roger Kraus. Same price as Bret. Then spent another $70 for 24 hour shipment to Las Vegas. I was running Goodyear Billboards and was tired of the bounce and the tracking every groove in the road. Wow, what a difference.

Next week I will be at Willow Springs for the COCOA event. I'll be there Friday for test and tune day. I'll run the Avon for a couple of laps then change to the Goodyear slicks. When I get home I'll give you a report.

Scott
Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott,

Thats the kind of testing feedback we REALLY need, good luck and god speed.
This aughta be great!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg schroeder View Post
Do you recall the 60ft time for the drag race and your starting technique? Trap speed? Just currious to get an idea of power vs ability to hook on hard acceleration.
Greg,

Producing a smooth burnout with no wheel hop was easy with the Goodyear Eagle II's. Not so with the Avon's, this tire hooks, and trying to do smokies creates hop.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Greg,

Producing a smooth burnout with no wheel hop was easy with the Goodyear Eagle II's. Not so with the Avon's, this tire hooks, and trying to do smokies creates hop.
I've got Avons on my car and do not get any wheel hop when doing a burnout.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmmmm, only tried once, hot day, asphalt surface, tires were brand new (but heat cycled). Hopped so bad I had to get out of it. You could actually see small pieces of chunked rubber still sticking to the tire. Wont do that again!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I promised you a report regarding the Avon Tires on the track.

We arrived at Willow Springs late Thursday night in preparation for the "Test and Tune Day" on Friday. The plan was to test the Avons Friday morning compared with the Goodyear Slicks and spend the rest of the day practicing with the Godyear slicks for the COCOA event on Saturday and Sunday.

Well, here is the report but not with the outcome I personnally wanted.

We pulled the car off the trailer at 8:30 am Friday morning. The Avons were already on the Cobra. The tire pressures were checked. 29lbs in the rears and 29.5lbs in the fronts. Because these tires are still a street tire and not a track only tire, we felt that the tire pressure should not be less that that.

The Cobra was on the track by 9:00 am with a six (6) lap warm-up. On the second lap, the Cobra spun-out at the bottom of Turn #5. For those who have not been to Willow Springs, this is a rather sharp downhill with a turn to the left at the bottom. You can develop some good speed down the hill with braking as you approach the bottom of the hill to make the turn. Tires were still a little cold and the car did a 360 but never left the pavement. Back in first gear and up the next hill to Turn #6 and the continuation of the test. Top speeds on the back and front straight-aways were about 125. The remainder of the first session was uneventful.

Upon arrival in the pits we examined the tires. They showed some scuffing but not excessive. Tires were warm but not hot. Tire pressure went up a couple of pounds. Did not check temps for this session. It was planned to do that after the next session.

About 10:00 am we left the pits for the second session. On the third lap after coming out of the wide sweeping Turn #2, I shifted into fourth, lost power and had smoke billowing out from under the hood. Had the tow truck pull me back in to the pits. We pulled the plugs to examine them. The first two had water on them. OK, so maybe it was only a blown head gasket. Nope! The third plug was broken with half of the center porcelian gone.

Long story short...........we pulled it back on the trailer and headed back to Las Vegas. Drove straight to Tom's Motorsports and pulled it off the trailer. Tom took his scope and we looked throught the spark plug hole to see the piston and cylinder walls. Much to our surprise, there was no piston. Just the connecting rod and the piston pin. Looks like it's time for a new engine. We'll get more information after we tear down the motor.

OK, so back to the tires. Here are some of my impressions of the Avons.

1. On the street, these tires are very smooth, do not track every rut in the road and have very good grip. My rear end has not slipped sideways like it did when I had the BFGs on.

2. I have no trouoble with the 245s on the front and 295s on the rear.

3. Although I did not get a chance to run the Goodyears this weekend, I have run them on this track numerous times.

4. On the track, the Avons have good grip, however, if the tire looses it's grip there is no warning. The car will slide out quicker than you can adjust or catch it. The Goodyear slicks will give you an indication that they are going just before they leave. In some cases, you can compensate and save the car from the skid. Part of this is that the Avons are a radial tire and the Goodyears are bias.

5. Because these tires do grip and get scuffed, the longevity of the tire and the tread will be greatly reduced. And at the price these tires cost, you need to consider the track tire you will use.

6. To a point, the comparison is not fair because the Avons has 29lbs and I run the Goodyears at 23lbs.

7. My conclusions are that if you have the money and storage space, you should have two sets of tires. One for the street and one for the track. If this is not feasible, then the Avons could be a good compromise for the one set of tires.

Thats' my two cents!!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Scott, good info on the tires (excuse me, "Tyres"), but BUMMER on the motor! Between you and Terry...
Let us know what you and Tom find, OUCH! Sounds like it might be time for you to talk to one of the CC engine guys about a side oiler, eh?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken,
If it's not repairable I will probably switch from the CO to an aluminum SO.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear about your motor, Scott, hope things are not as bad at it sounds.
Thanks a bunch for your tire report, very informative. Will have to pay CLOSE attention during track events and behave on the street.