Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI 331 Shelby Engine with Webers
Not Ranked     
Default Differential breather spitting fluid

I have a new (39 miles so far) CSX 7000 series with the Salisbury 4HU limited slip and it is spitting oil out the breather, which is mounted very high up on the passenger side wheel well. I am wondering if this could have been overfilled and that it will stop after 100 miles or so or if something is really wrong and all the fluid will blast out. I understand Kirkham actually makes a catch can for this issue, but surely it can't be normal for this to be happening. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

Remove the fill cap and see if any fluid leaks out, if it does its overfilled.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Where is the breather tube connected? If it's on the 90 degree elbow on the steel cover, then it's still very possible to spit out even with the gear oil level being 1" below the fill plug.
What you want to do, aside from making sure your level, viscosity and anti slip additive are all proper, is to PLUG the breather elbow on the steel cover with a stout rubber plug and rubber cap and clamp it. Then remove the tapped plug on top of the diff and install a 90 degree fitting (I may have an extra if you need it). Connect a hose and route it to the high catch can you mentioned you have in the trunk.
Once you have done all this, go for a drive and monitor the can, especially as you really heat up the diff.
Where the diff is breathing from CAN make a huge difference, believe me. I had this same issue on my CSX roadster (Kirkham diff). PM me for more detail on that.
Good luck!
Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

BTW,
It's possible to do this "top of the diff breather install" from underneath. It's a PITA, but doable.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I will get it up on my lift and check that. I don't have the catch can in the trunk, just the long breather tube with a large KN filter on top.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI FIA, 289HP (5-bolt), 48IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

I thought that this problem had been aliviated over the years of production! If you use the search function you can find previous posts about the same issue. If the differential is equipped with the proper differential cover with the breather tube and internal fluid deflector say like a Jaguar XKE differential cover there should be no reason that a "catch can" should be used in the first place. I know that if you "Google" the part number that is stamped on your differential cover you can get an idea of the original application. The only reason that I see that a "catch can" might be used is in a racing application where higher temperatures and or sloshing of the fluid might cause fluid to escape from the breather and need to be trapped in a container to prevent spillage onto the road surface. A reservoir utilized in a "splash" lubrication system to store fluid is telling me that: 1) the fluid ievel is overfilled causing the fluid to aerate (air bubbles) and expand from the confines of the differential into the reservoir, air bubbles in a lubrication system are not good. 2) the fluid is overheating and expanding into the reservoir, another not so good issue. The only lubrication system where an external reservoir system should be used is in a "dry sump" application where you have a pump that supplies lubrication to the mechanical device and a pump that scavenges the fluid from the device and returns it back to the reservoir. For reuse. Please keep in mind that the "DANA 44" differential both solid axle and independent axle configurations were used in many applications by many manufacturers over the years for both the rear wheel drive as well as 4-wheel drives, I would source a differential cover from a Jaguar application and see if this fixes your problem.

Last edited by CompClassics; 03-28-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

CompClassics,
A different cover must be installed now. I went through this fiasco. Enough gear oil came out, down to 1.250" below fill plug, and it would still want to come out. I copied the routing in my Kirkham and it was 'fixed'.
Is there a 'break in' period on a diffs new gears?
Old 03-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There was an extensive discussion of diff venting on a CSX car when DCDoug "banged his rear" a couple of years ago. Here's the thread, and I believe the venting discussion starts around page six or seven: Need help diagnosing a clutch/tranny problem
Old 03-28-2015, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Differentials unlike piston engines do not have a "break-in" period.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put the car on the lift, yes it is on the plate on the diff. I took it for a 30 miles cruise, and guess what, the leak is much less now. I am going to try another cruise tomorrow and then open the plug to see where the level is, my guess is that it was overfilled.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You might want to check the fluid level before going on the next drive.
rodneym likes this.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

mikyFIA,
Here's a thread not to miss.

Kirkham rear differential query
Old 03-29-2015, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just out of curiosity, what type of gear oil are you using? Is it synthetic or regular?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Just out of curiosity, what type of gear oil are you using? Is it synthetic or regular?
It has to be "just right" for your set up (meaning, not the gear ratios, but the configuration of the rear itself). My rear works best with Moroso Climbing Gear lube with two tubes of the GM LSD additive. Not getting the combination just right results in ratcheting around corners.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To finish this, now with 200 miles on the clock, the problem has stopped. No spitting now. I changed the fluid, at about 130 miles, drained the old fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple 75W90 synthetic. The old fluid, and BTW about 1/3 of a quart was thrown out during the first 130 miles, seemed much thicker and smelled much stronger than the Royal Purple 75W90 replacement oil. I am thinking it was a higher viscosity and not synthetic, which could explain part of the problem. My builder is checking to see what Kirkham puts in these True-Trac units from the factory, but it may be wrong for driving. BTW, my "catch can" during the testing, to keep my wheel well clean, was a freezer Zip-Lock baggie around the vent filter with the corners cut to allow air in and out but block all the spraying. It worked great, but now I don't need it anymore.
rodneym likes this.

Last edited by mikyFIA; 07-15-2015 at 06:35 AM..
Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4987, Shelby Roush 511
Not Ranked     
Default Differential Breather

Going to make the breather/vent modification to my CSX4000 rear diff cover as like the Jag setup.....Is there enough clearance for the cover to come out without removing any other pieces.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is no room for that in my FIA, but I understand the CSX4000s have enough room to do that.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4987, Shelby Roush 511
Not Ranked     

Thanks, greatly appreciated
Old 07-15-2015, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyFIA View Post
To finish this, now with 200 miles on the clock, the problem has stopped. No spitting now. I changed the fluid, at about 130 miles, drained the old fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple 75W90 synthetic. The old fluid, and BTW about 1/3 of a quart was thrown out during the first 130 miles, seemed much thicker and smelled much stronger than the Royal Purple 75W90 replacement oil. I am thinking it was a higher viscosity and not synthetic, which could explain part of the problem. My builder is checking to see what Kirkham puts in these Torque-Trac units from the factory, but it may be wrong for driving. BTW, my "catch can" during the testing, to keep my wheel well clean, was a freezer Zip-Lock baggie around the vent filter with the corners cut to allow air in and out but block all the spraying. It worked great, but now I don't need it anymore.
Carrying over from Team Shelby forum. I have 89 miles on my CSX7994. It is spitting spewing quit a bit of differential fluid. It is a KMS True Track. Hope that it will find it's own level safely, after a few more miles. If not will try some of these fixes.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

SHLBYFIA,
You'll be surprised how much can come out.
May I ask who you bought your roller from?
From what I understand, the breather isn't done at the factory, it's installed when it gets "here".
What I'm really asking is, who installed your breather? "Shelby" or your local dealer?

Last edited by rodneym; 07-15-2015 at 10:33 AM..