17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

I can only give you my experience. Mine is a Roush 427SR, it burned quite a bit of oil. I pulled the heads, and had them checked. The valve stems were worn, and could actually see a "lip" at the beginning of the worn area. I had the valves replaced with feria's (sp) that were slightly larger. The heads were cleaned, new valve seats, up put back on the engine, and all is fine, no oil consumption, no smoke when letting off the throttle. Runs really good, and I have no complaints.

Wish you the best of luck on your situation!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

And here's my update from my 2011 post.
The oil consumption got progressively worse. At 13,500 miles intake gasket let go. After replacement and new valve guides and seals, oil was blowing out the breather and dipstick tube. Piston blowby. Leak down test showed two cylinders excessive. Tore down the engine. Two pistons had small cracks in the ring lands. Lifters worn, cylinders showed no crosshatch. Looked like the engine had 100,000 miles on it. Total rebuild and valve job needed to the tune of $15,000.
After the rebuild and a good dyno tune, runs stronger than it ever did.

Would I ever recommend or buy another Roush product? Nope. This is a total street engine and was maintained meticulously. My feeling is that it should have lasted a little longer. But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Are you going to use Joe Gibbs oil? I think that is what Roush recommends.
Maybe this after break in period.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I was hoping that Roush would have taken care of the on the first rebuild.. isn't that what a rebuild is for? they are the "experts" on thier engines I thought they would have noticed or tried that. Thanks for the input it will be one of my questions to them when I return it.!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Just my 2c........If the block they supplied had oval cylinders ..how did they re-use the pistons?
The block should be bored sleeved or replaced. Did they reuse the old block??? After the amount of money that was paid for the motor.........actually regardless what you paid it should not have oval bores.
A normal rebuild might burn a little oil whilst it is running in and how that happens depends on your driving. A high performance motor does not do well at traffic.....
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by james911pro View Post
My dilema is what to do. I dont want this engine back it has a bad omen to it.
My suggestion? Put it in the back of an airplane, fly over Roush HQ and push that POS out.

But that's just me, I have "issues."
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Well, I was considering a Roush Motor for my AC Cobra build. Now I will have a motor built for me close to where I live. The allotment is more than enough to build a 460 to produce over 700 HP. Besides most state-side builders of engines think that Canadians are so far behind the times than we are barely out of the Model "A" stage of engines.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Can your Roush 427 engine (Dart Block 9.5" deck?) be rebored?

I see how popular their 402" motors are so I was wondering about your situation.

Keep us posted, please. Is your engine 427R, 427SR or something else and what compression?
Good luck on this go around!

Last edited by rpatton3; 01-29-2013 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
Just my 2c........If the block they supplied had oval cylinders ..how did they re-use the pistons?
The block should be bored sleeved or replaced. Did they reuse the old block??? After the amount of money that was paid for the motor.........actually regardless what you paid it should not have oval bores.
A normal rebuild might burn a little oil whilst it is running in and how that happens depends on your driving. A high performance motor does not do well at traffic.....
MADD, the original block "1 engine" that I returned to them was reported (by Roush after thier tear down) to have oval cylinders. They recommended that i change the block with the new version (steam drilled) kepp the original pistons and change the rings instead of boring, and oversizing. I realized an "older style high performance block" can burn some oil... but NOT 1/2 pint per tank! PS... I'm not driving in traffic..jsut cruising.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
My suggestion? Put it in the back of an airplane, fly over Roush HQ and push that POS out.

But that's just me, I have "issues."
The engine is ready to ship. I will be visiting Roush myself this time! Face to face!!..POS is out.. and the reason why I was put off for so long and ran out of warranty.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatton3 View Post
Can your Roush 427 engine (Dart Block 9.5" deck?) be rebored?

I see how popular their 402" motors are so I was wondering about your situation.

Keep us posted, please. Is your engine 427R, 427SR or something else and what compression?
Good luck on this go around!
Surely I can be rebored but its a new block,,, I am thinking the problem is at the intake or valves. Its a 427R. I dont have the compression numbers handy.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatton3 View Post
Are you going to use Joe Gibbs oil? I think that is what Roush recommends.
Maybe this after break in period.
done!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

The reason that the bores where oval was because when they bored the block it was without "stress plates" being bolted to the top of the block first, which simulates the stress that the heads put on the block when they are bolted down. Also the main bearing caps should be in place at the same time, all torqued up, if you are going to do it right.
Depending on your piston type too, a lot of builders are building extra clearance into the motors becuase of the ring land problems that have happened.
What it really takes is to properly 'Blueprint " the motor, and for the money that you paid, that is what you should have got!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
The reason that the bores where oval was because when they bored the block it was without "stress plates" being bolted to the top of the block first, which simulates the stress that the heads put on the block when they are bolted down. Also the main bearing caps should be in place at the same time, all torqued up, if you are going to do it right.
Depending on your piston type too, a lot of builders are building extra clearance into the motors becuase of the ring land problems that have happened.
What it really takes is to properly 'Blueprint " the motor, and for the money that you paid, that is what you should have got!
The reason I bought a Roush was for their "Great Reputation" .. thats why I paid MORE instead of going "No Name" crate.

Now that I am ready to send it back let's see what happens.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Somewhat disconcerting that an outfit like Roush won't stand behind their product regardless of "warranty" with only 3000 miles on it provided it has been normally maintained and not abused.

Certainly does not reflect well on them in my book.

Thats BS in my book.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Somewhat disconcerting that an outfit like Roush won't stand behind their product regardless of "warranty" with only 3000 miles on it provided it has been normally maintained and not abused.

Certainly does not reflect well on them in my book.

Thats BS in my book.
Well the Have one more chance to make it right. Just spoke to warranty on the phone today... apparently he needs to check with the boss if their offer was still valid... not sure why it wouldn't be I was told to drive the car til the end of the season then remove and ship back this winter. I surely wasn't driving it around Montreal since October with the winter we've been having.

I also had to remove the engine and crate it myself... I am very comfortable with that but was short on time and that was impossible before the holidays. I can't sink any more money into this engine!

I would really love to come back on here with a post bragging how anxious they are to get my engine redone and make sure I'm satisfied!

Then let you all know how its running perfectly in the spring!

... the ball is in their court!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just another quick note, this will be the SECOND rebuild. Because Roush did NOT warranty the first rebuild I had to pay 4800$ to have it redone and get a 3 month "warranty" + my time to re-re + shipping to Roush. So this wll be the second time I send it back.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Just curious why you are letting Roush touch your engine for a third time?
And they only give you a three month warranty? What happens if you have to have more work done after it is returned? Is it up to you to pull it and ship it again at your expense?
When mine went south, I chose a well known local engine builder to rebuild my 427SR. He pulled it, rebuilt it and gave me a one year warranty. At least he's local so if a problem arises, I can take the car to his shop without having to pull the motor and ship it out of State.

I also replaced both valve covers and the air cleaner so the Roush name is not immediately visible when anyone looks at my engine compartment.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
And they only give you a three month warranty? What happens if you have to have more work done after it is returned? Is it up to you to pull it and ship it again at your expense?
When mine went south, I chose a well known local engine builder to rebuild my 427SR. He pulled it, rebuilt it and gave me a one year warranty. At least he's local so if a problem arises, I can take the car to his shop without having to pull the motor and ship it out of State.

I also replaced both valve covers and the air cleaner so the Roush name is not immediately visible when anyone looks at my engine compartment.
+2 Why?
I wouldn't give them another cent! (or whatever Canadians call it)
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post

Call me naive but I figure they will be the best to fix their own product, also they HAVE to fix it its une the second warranty I already paid for. If its still chugging oil after that God only knows what I can do.

How much mileage did yours have before you had it rebuilt locally? What did the re-bulider say was they problem?... Yes it also crossed my mind to have it locally rebuilt but again I was hopefull Roush could fix thier own engine.

Tags
consumption, oil, roush 427r, superformance, warranty issue