12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
During those 4 years I have put 23,000+ miles on it, and the only thing holding me back from more miles is the crappy weather we get here in Washington state.
That does it, I'm shipping you an FE engine. That kind of reliability is simply unacceptable.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, Patrick had his balancer and clutch go bad amongst a few other things over the years. He still gets alot of guff for the $1,000 +/- Centerforce clutch he used for replacement. Then there's the extracurricular activities like the LED 3rd brake light that looks like a small sideways Christmas tree. Then there's the once per year oil samples that he sends out for analysis. I could go on.

With the various tools and testing equipment he owns and gets each Christmas from his kids, he can create problems where none exist.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

I'm not trying to be a smartass but based on your criteria I'd say a Corvette would be a better pick for you.

Frank
Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
I'm not trying to be a smartass but based on your criteria I'd say a Corvette would be a better pick for you.

Frank

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Remember, these cars are basically from the age of iron. Engineering consisted of "it it breaks, make it: thicker, heavier, wider, etc."

They are simple until one adds a modern fuel injection system, six piston brakes and so on.

Any decent mechanic (and I mean a "mechanic", not a parts changer and not a knuckle dragger) can fix these.

And remember, take all of the suggestions here with a grain of salt. If YOU are stroking the check, buy what makes YOU happy.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's the unknown problems that are the real nuisance. But ITSTOCK is basically right. Most of our cars are just barely street legal race cars. Seriously, if you can be dissuaded from buying one, then you probably shouldn't buy one. The guys that do the best with these cars have generally wanted them for decades and could not be talked out of them come hell or high water. Conversely, this site is replete with stories, heartbreaking stories, of guys who "kind of think the Cobra would be cool to own," and then they buy one... and the nightmare begins. Seriously, take your time, read every post on this site for the last few years, and, above all, don't buy anything until you've driven one.
My car was not factory assembled like the ones Scaramanga mentioned, but it does illustrate Patrick's point. It was a pure race car until it was retired and converted into a street car. It went through two financially secure owners in less than six months as each discovered it was not very civilized. I've owned it for more than ten years because it is not my daily driver. It is an occasional track car and a fair weather cruiser. I often think it is as practical as a four wheel Harley Davidson motorcycle.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That does it, I'm shipping you an FE engine. That kind of reliability is simply unacceptable.
Thanks Patrick.

I can use it as a base for a glass coffee table.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Scaramanga,

All three vehicles you have selected for your short list are excellent. The CSX car will have noticeably less room in the foot wells than either the Kirkham or the Superformance (SPF).

My short list came down to the same three and I ended up with the SPF. The CSX was problematic for me because of the foot wells and at the time it was extremely difficult to get the Shelby gang to actually talk to you about buying one. I think that problem has since been put to bed with a much improved distribution model.

My first love was the Kirkham and still is today. The price of the finished Kirkham and my choice of engine made the SPF a more practical choice for me - if you can use practical in the same sentence with one of these cars.

Although you didn't ask, someone else did comment on under car vs side pipes. Perhaps the consideration you want to have foremost in your mind during the exhaust style selection process is the fact the side pipe exhaust exit is 24 inches from your ear. This is non trivial! Try to find an under car exhaust version to ride in. The sound difference is impressive.

Your short list as I said at the beginning has three great choices.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

What about a Unique?
$36,000 plus or minus for a painted roller with a Jaguar rear end.
Pick a motor, trannie, tires and rims. I would think the total would be $55K maybe $60K.
New car the way you want it.
They are one of the oldest Cobra manufactors and great customer service.

Dwight
Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

A lot of good advice here. But the formula is really simple:

1. Drive one.
2. Find a different brand and drive that one, too.
3. If it's still for you, then seek the most Cobra that you can afford (albeit with compromises worked into the equation).
4. If your choice is not the ones that you test drove prior, then drive that, too.
5. If you can live with those same certain compromises, revert to #3.
6. If it's not for you, then seek the Corvette/Porsche that best suits your style and tastes.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
A lot of good advice here. But the formula is really simple:

1. Drive one.
2. Find a different brand and drive that one, too.
3. If it's still for you, then seek the most Cobra that you can afford (albeit with compromises worked into the equation).
4. If your choice is not the ones that you test drove prior, then drive that, too.
5. If you can live with those same certain compromises, revert to #3.
6. If it's not for you, then seek the Corvette/Porsche that best suits your style and tastes.
... not trying to be a jerk or highjack the thread, but am I the only one who would NOT let someone test drive my car, were I to sell it? Maybe it's just me, but there's no way I'm going to let a stranger with unknown background & driving experience get behind the wheel of my little 615 hp monster. I never drove a Cobra (replica or otherwise) until 3 days AFTER I bought mine. It did not leave the garage until registration and insurance were fully in place. It's surprising what you can learn from the passenger seat. I zeroed in very quickly on what I wanted after a few "test rides".
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
... not trying to be a jerk or highjack the thread, but am I the only one who would NOT let someone test drive my car, were I to sell it?
A lot of us feel that way. But he needs to find some sap, somewhere, that will let him drive one, because, when he does, I have a hunch it's not going to be what he thinks it's going to be....
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, the only three cars that look truly *right* are the Shelby, Kirkham, and ERA. I think Superperformance makes a terrific high quality product, but to my eyes the look isn't correct.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Hi
I am planning on buying a cobra by the end of the year & am starting to do my research & was hoping to get some advice from current owners.

currently, I am looking at the Superformance, Kirkham & Shelby continuation

I love the GT coupe & GT40 for their originality & style, but prefer convertibles & why I am looking for the more traditional models like the MkIII etc.

I will go over my "wants" & plans for use- could you please tell me what you would recommend based on your experiences.

1. style & accuracy: I want it to look as authentic as possible- especially the dashboard (detail is very important to me)
2. I will be driving this a a "light" everyday car- I work at home developing apps, so I don't leave the home much, but when I do, I would like to have fun driving.
3. I have no intention on racing- with the exception of taking on the track to experience it's full potential. But I do like to have fun on twisting roads
4. must be able to have a top (demand by wife)
5. I would like to be able to put in a stereo
6. I am 6 foot tall
7. quality & ability to service locally (I live in CA)

Previous owner of a Lotus Elise & various British 60's-70's era cars
Your advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks!
These are questions that you alone are going to have to answer. Every manufacturer has their own set of fanboys whom can sway you one way or the other. You have to decide what is important to you, and what compromises you are willing to make. The manufacturers you're considering are pretty much high-end, so quality issues should be few. That said, if you have a car built, you should expect a few niggling issues as the car gets sorted out. Mine has been trouble-free for the past 4 years... oil changes, plug changes, occasional dyno-tuning... that's about it, tho mine tends to me more of a garage queen as of late. But once you start looking, you should figure out pretty quickly what you really want out of the car.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
... not trying to be a jerk or highjack the thread, but am I the only one who would NOT let someone test drive my car, were I to sell it? Maybe it's just me, but there's no way I'm going to let a stranger with unknown background & driving experience get behind the wheel of my little 615 hp monster. I never drove a Cobra (replica or otherwise) until 3 days AFTER I bought mine. It did not leave the garage until registration and insurance were fully in place. It's surprising what you can learn from the passenger seat. I zeroed in very quickly on what I wanted after a few "test rides".
I think what you're trying to say is represented well in this recent Allstate "mayhem" commercial:

Old 07-13-2012, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427S/C w/ 1968 428 Cobra Jet Holley 750
Not Ranked     

FWIW - my used ERA, built in 1995 with a 1969 428 Cobra Jet w/4bbl Holley, and TKO 5-speed - all looking about as authentic as I've seen on the inside and out, is extremely reliable. Always starts, runs cool, never stalls, no rattles, great throttle response, sounds great at all RPMs. Everthing is 100%. There just isn't that much to go wrong until you start tweaking things. As soon as you get into Webers, dual quads, hot cams and mismatched heads/intake and carbs, that's when things stop working without constant tuning.

It's certainly more reliable and maintenance free than a new Audi or Land Rover
Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA427 View Post
FWIW - my used ERA, built in 1995 with a 1969 428 Cobra Jet w/4bbl Holley, and TKO 5-speed - all looking about as authentic as I've seen on the inside and out, is extremely reliable.
It's the first 5 years/5,000 miles that are the trickiest. A ten year old Cobra with 10,000 miles on it is infinitely more reliable than a brand spanking new, custom-made to your calling, Cobra. Unless you absolutely have to have it made exactly the way you want it, buying used is the way to go.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

my Cobra would be the last one he would want but I will let him drive it. It would have to be in the industrial park (wide roads) with little to no traffic.
I have let a lot of people drive mine. Never had a problem.

Now there are some people I will not let them drive my Cobra.

It's just metal and fiberglass and I have insurance.

Dwight
Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Go to Hillbank in Irvine and you can test drive a Superformance. Go to Vegas and I'm sure there are a few businesses there that will let you rent a Cobra. When selling, put a throttle-stop on the carb to keep the RPMs below 3K. That way one can stilll drive the car without getting stupid and sideways. Many sellers probably won't allow for a test drive, but I'm willing to bet that many others will (and especially in this economy when moving a specialty vehicle doesn't exactly have a large audience to begin with).
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Like everyone else says "it's what you want" I have a Backdraft, I have had many people come up to the car and say boy this is a nice "original car" I correct them that it is a Replica. If you want to look at it and believe that it's an original or identical to one, OK. But most of the public don't know an original from a replica. A new Kirkham, ERA or SPF can cost a lot of money, try looking at good used ones first. As for your wifes wishes for a top, good luck. I built a bimeni top which can handle low speeds. With the windows on, which I also made, I can run the car at 60+ with the top and no problems. Good Luck