LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

As for an ERA trade for a CSX, funny, but I knew someone with a beautiful yellow ERA once who lost a simple, local Mustang Club car show to an equally beautiful (but cleaner and more detailed) Factory Five Cobra. To show his disgust (and perhaps lack of better judgement), in the middle of the awards presentation (after he lost ), he fired up his yellow chariot and proceed to do a large burnout out of the parking lot and on to RT10 west in Randolph, NJ, making a fool out of himself in the process(in front of 200+ witnesses of all age groups). Rumor has it he sold the car soon afterwards and ordered a jet black CSX4000 series in aluminum so that this never happened again..........

Bill S.

PS: The names have been removed to protect the guilty
Kinda puts things into perspective, doesn't it

John O
Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolsen42 View Post
Kinda puts things into perspective, doesn't it

John O
See Bill, your strategy worked. You got a believer already.

When you can't refute facts, throw mud and try and besmirch the other person personally. That was your strategy years ago along with your little group of buddies who would swear to what each of you said about me despite it not being true. But, there were more of you and only one of me. So I guess you win.

All I will say about your little "accusation" backed by the fascinating even numbered and convienent "200 witnesses" is that it didn't happen that way. Further, even if I did a "burn out" in that beautiful ERA it wouldn't be intentional thats for sure. Second, it's absolutely wonderous and "convienent" that even if it did happen as you describe this "big smokey burnout" you can ascribe the exact purpose and motive behind it.

I do remember some guys doing burnouts onto Rt. 10 from that show each year. Gee, maybe everybody was pissed too! But, maybe I'm wrong. Tell us, what were their motives?

I will agree that my ERA was stunning. Believe me, my decision to sell it an buy a Shelby Cobra has nothing to do with "losing some show to a FFR". But I guess you can read my mind on why I sold my ERA too.

This crap is exactly the kinda of crap that made me lose interest in this site years ago so just stop. Ok? Not only is what you are saying inaccurate and wrongly ascribe a motive that suits you it conveniently changes the focus from the subject at hand to a completely irrelevant one.

As to this other CSX owner saying what you say he said, sadly on that your are correct. I know exactly who you are talking about. I have been the receipient of his line of BS also here in NJ. I thought about putting him in his place but stopped as we were in public and I didn't think it would end well.

However, to use his antics as the " measuring stick " for Contiuation owners is extremely unfair, wrong and candidly insulting. In fact, I think the better measuring stick are the Continuation Cobra owners here on this site and all those that have registered their Cobras with SAAC as Continuation Cobras in a public document.

I've heard some FFR owners at cruise night tell the "civilian" that it was a Real Shelby Cobra and/or that the 302 or 351 in the engine bay was a 427. So what does that tell us about the rest of the FFR owners? I don't know. You tell me.

By the way we are still waiting for your CSX#.

Hey, you have a nice day.

Last edited by REAL 1; 06-24-2013 at 06:30 AM..
Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Convenient
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

The OP had kind of an interesting perspective on this question, but this thread has gone to where all of these threads go, which is unfortunate as it's not like any of these perspectives are new......

Now that we have devolved further into more personal attacks, Carnac predicts this thread will be locked like all other previous threads on this subject....

Ps. Evan, I hope you decide to stay around this time. It's been nice to have you around CC again.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
See Bill, your strategy worked. You got a believer already.

When you can't refute facts, throw mud and try and besmirch the other person personally. That was your strategy years ago along with your little group of buddies who would swear to what each of you said about me despite it not being true. But, there were more of you and only one of me. So I guess you win.

All I will say about your little "accusation" backed by the fascinating even numbered and convienent "200 witnesses" is that it didn't happen that way. Further, even if I did a "burn out" in that beautiful ERA it wouldn't be intentional thats for sure. Second, it's absolutely wonderous and "convienent" that even if it did happen as you describe this "big smokey burnout" you can ascribe the exact purpose and motive behind it.

I do remember some guys doing burnouts onto Rt. 10 from that show each year. Gee, maybe everybody was pissed too! But, maybe I'm wrong. Tell us, what were their motives?

I will agree that my ERA was stunning. Believe me, my decision to sell it an buy a Shelby Cobra has nothing to do with "losing some show to a FFR". But I guess you can read my mind on why I sold my ERA too.

This crap is exactly the kinda of crap that made me lose interest in this site years ago so just stop. Ok? Not only is what you are saying inaccurate and wrongly ascribe a motive that suits you it conveniently changes the focus from the subject at hand to a completely irrelevant one.

As to this other CSX owner saying what you say he said, sadly on that your are correct. I know exactly who you are talking about. I have been the receipient of his line of BS also here in NJ. I thought about putting him in his place but stopped as we were in public and I didn't think it would end well.

However, to use his antics as the " measuring stick " for Contiuation owners is extremely unfair, wrong and candidly insulting. In fact, I think the better measuring stick are the Continuation Cobra owners here on this site and all those that have registered their Cobras with SAAC as Continuation Cobras in a public document.

I've heard some FFR owners at cruise night tell the "civilian" that it was a Real Shelby Cobra and/or that the 302 or 351 in the engine bay was a 427. So what does that tell us about the rest of the FFR owners? I don't know. You tell me.

By the way we are still waiting for your CSX#.

Hey, you have a nice day.
Evan,

The second paragraph was meant as a friendly poke, nothing more. I am sorry you took it that way

No matter the make, anyone who tells someone their car is something it is not, is in the wrong. On this you and I usually agree (semantics aside).

HAve a good day.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
The OP had kind of an interesting perspective on this question, but this thread has gone to where all of these threads go, which is unfortunate as it's not like any of these perspectives are new......

Now that we have devolved further into more personal attacks, Carnac predicts this thread will be locked like all other previous threads on this subject....
You are quite correct, on several fronts...

The OP question:
Quote:
Guys with original Cobras(either 289 or 427) how many times do you get asked is it a real Cobra, a kit or replica by guys that have no or little clue...and does that bother you?
I am looking for only answers to that question from now on...on this thread.

Quote:
Now that we have devolved further into more personal attacks, ...like all other previous threads on this subject
There seems to be a correlation with that and when certain folks return to ClubCobra to deposit two cents again on a tired and worn diatribe.

Not closing it yet... but the original topic needs some attention.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
I am looking for only answers to that question from now on...on this thread.
I wish George would weigh in on this. He drives his original 427 competition Cobra to many of the local events and is always very gracious to anyone with questions. I'm sure he's been asked many times, (especially since he's usually surrounded by replicas).
Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

CW and Jamo

Thanks for letting this thread run. Familiar territory yes, but entertaining and enlightening. Gotta let the dogs off the leash every now and then …
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Come on kids...back on track and Save the Thread!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I get asked the question all the time and it certainly doesn't bother me. I just say yes and explain a little about the car.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     

I really couldn't imagine why it would bother an original owner being asked that question.

Last edited by D111; 06-24-2013 at 11:03 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

I am continuing to delete posts here.

What part of "I am looking for only answers to that question from now on...on this thread." wasn't clear?

I will have to begin deleting user log-ins if this continues.

Most of you should go into read-only mode on this thread.

Thanks.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I didn't realize a thread already existed with a similar question as mine.

First being in a family that have owned original Cobras(including anything with a "Cobra" in the title or a cobra engine) I really never "looked down" on whatever word you choose to use...replica, kit, copy kat...if it has four wheels and drives and you enjoy it that is all that matters.

Maybe I should sign up on the SAAC website because there I'm guessing are owners of 1960's Cobras. I'm still annoyed at Kopec for turning me away at his home when trying to get convention info almost 30 years ago. Yes it was his house SAAC headquarters at the time and told me I had the wrong address. That with a '65 R GT350 in the garage. I still owe him an arse kicking.

I can drive a multitude of automobiles and never get asked the question of original unless I'm driving a Cobra. I drove a Pegaso the other weekend to Naples to visit the museum and not many knew what it was, but I didn't get asked is it original.

Someone made a good point about owning an AC, I'm going to ask my brother he owns a '60 AC Ace Bristol.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     

OnyxRider, recently an aide who I have helping my mother had stopped over my place with her and the garage was open. My car is undergoing restoration and old grungy panels and bits I'm having trouble finding people to straighten/repair (everyone wants to make new) were spread around the place and the chassis and body up on saw horses. The nose is stripped, but not the rear portion. Well, the girl saw the Cobra and asked if it was one of those "fiberglass cars". Aside from her being oblivious to the fact that the nose was exposed bare aluminum with scars showing 40+ years of existence (it's hard to get good help, including caregivers!), my point being aside from the replica question, with so many kit cars around for many years, many laypersons simply think of Cobras now as spiffy kit cars and don't necessarily associate them with actual vintage cars. One more reason to just enjoy the car yourself and not get too engrossed into what others perceive. BTW, are you Geoff C.?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
I didn't realize a thread already existed with a similar question as mine.

First being in a family that have owned original Cobras(including anything with a "Cobra" in the title or a cobra engine) I really never "looked down" on whatever word you choose to use...replica, kit, copy kat...if it has four wheels and drives and you enjoy it that is all that matters.

Maybe I should sign up on the SAAC website because there I'm guessing are owners of 1960's Cobras. I'm still annoyed at Kopec for turning me away at his home when trying to get convention info almost 30 years ago. Yes it was his house SAAC headquarters at the time and told me I had the wrong address. That with a '65 R GT350 in the garage. I still owe him an arse kicking.

I can drive a multitude of automobiles and never get asked the question of original unless I'm driving a Cobra. I drove a Pegaso the other weekend to Naples to visit the museum and not many knew what it was, but I didn't get asked is it original.

Someone made a good point about owning an AC, I'm going to ask my brother he owns a '60 AC Ace Bristol.
You asked a different question than previous threads. The angst of owners of the various reproductions is just something that pops up from time to time under a full moon no matter what the thread is about. Another one is "big block versus small block" even anyone with half a brain knows that big blocks are better.

Good on you for your outlook on folks having fun no matter what they drive.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Another one is "big block versus small block" even anyone with half a brain knows that big blocks are better.
You're right of course but the Mods said you're not allowed to post on here 'less you got an oldtime CSX...
You only have a fakey-doo K-car.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Another one is "big block versus small block" even anyone with half a brain knows that big blocks are better.
So Jamo...want to start that thread? Someone with a 'full' brain may think differently.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hehehehehe....gots to keep the blood flowing.

Chas....assolutely, mine's as "fake" as anything else not built in the 60s. Whatcha all worked up about?

Relax...enjoy...mind the flowers and the birds chirping...have a shot of raki.
ERA Chas likes this.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKIII, SPO2891, SPO1649
Not Ranked     
Default What is it, what year is it?

Late in posting, I know, but here it goes.

I was just asked this question coming back home from the 2013 London Cobra Show, this past Sunday, as I pumped gas south of Columbus:

"Hey man, is it an original or is it a kit, and what year is it?"

My answer: "NEITHER, IT IS A 2008 SUPERFORMANCE MKIII BUILT IN SOUTH AFRICA." At which the curious inquirer scratched his head and said or asked no more and walked away.

Plain and simple truth works best always.

2432 Crittenden Drive, Suite 201
Louisville, KY 40217
http://www.kentuckycobraclub.com
juan@lbrdesign.com
502-558-2904
Old 06-25-2013, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hehehehehe....gots to keep the blood flowing.

Chas....assolutely, mine's as "fake" as anything else not built in the 60s. Whatcha all worked up about?
Well you know us uptight, underachieving ERA owners. We only asspire to be Kirkham owners...