Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default For CSX 2000 and 3000 Series Cobra Owners Eyes Only

Ok this is one of two questions that I've wanted to ask for some years now. I use to be a member of SAAC over 25 yeaars ago and it was during that time I would ask this question. Now with more replicas on the market and being out in Cali driving a real S/C model it does get a bit bothersome.

Guys with original Cobras(either 289 or 427) how many times do you get asked is it a real Cobra, a kit or replica by guys that have no or little clue...and does that bother you?

I usually like to take a ride through the Malibu canyons and usually get asked when in the beach areas when stopped for lunch or going home. Without taking time I just say it's the real deal and keep it moving, unless someone really wants to be educated and I take the time to do so. I really love this car because of several reasons.

1) It belches, really has no idle and scares small children and dogs. lol

2) I love annoying my former neighbors by the beach by driving by at three in the morning rattling windows.

Ok I'm being sarcastic but it's true. When I had my house on Malibu Beach (1980's) there seemed to be parties going on everywhere. Maybe people complained about me because I had professional musicians throw parties with professional equipment. Well anyway I built a 12 acre compound on the beach in Malibu several years ago and solved that problem. But I still like cruising my old area. lol

Does it annoy you guys being asked if it real or replica?

I own many cars and another one I get asked about is my McLaren F1. Some are clueless and think it's a kit. As Leno says you get it or you don't. Love the seating since I can drive this one with my twin girls.

The one that I have been driving lately is my TVR Tuscan because you can hear that from around the corner and not many know what it is.

Ok I'll post my other question another day. Sorry for the title "eyes only", I'm former USN & NRO, old habts die slowly.

Last edited by OnyxRider; 06-19-2013 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: spelling of course
Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great story. Nice to read stuff like this on here. Your TVR Tuscan...... Is it a 1960s V8 or a modern Swordfish type car.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Given that reproduction Cobras outnumber real cars by a factor of maybe 20:1, it's understandable that people might ask the question. I get it while driving in southern California all the time. It doesn't bother me. I respond truthfully, but often add "Seriously, what is the point of even asking the question? Do you think if it were a copy I'd tell you? Of course not. I'd say "Oh yeah, this baby's REAL," like - be honest - most replica owners do. If the person asking the question really wants to know, they'll follow up with the right questions. If they're just asking for the hell of it, they'll usually leave it alone.
A-Snake likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Replica

Very well put Ned, I have found that most people that ask are shocked when I tell them it is original because many have never seen one and only ask the question to be polite.
A-Snake likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

A funny flip side to this scenario. I was at a cruise night awhile back with my slab replica, and this fellow comes over and while looking over my car says, you often don't get a chance to stand next to an original. I said you still haven't. A number of my friends have replicas and not one of them say's that their's are originals. So in that respect, I humbly disagree with Mr. Ned.

John O
joyridin', dallas_ and Lenni-65 like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

John, I agree with you about the real vs replica. I never say mine is real. I don't think I would have the guts to drive a 2000 series or 3000 series on the street. You are at the mercy of the least intelligent person in your general area.

Jim
Old 06-20-2013, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsel View Post
It doesn't bother me. I respond truthfully, but often add "Seriously, what is the point of even asking the question? Do you think if it were a copy I'd tell you? Of course not. I'd say "Oh yeah, this baby's REAL," like - be honest - most replica owners do. If the person asking the question really wants to know, they'll follow up with the right questions. If they're just asking for the hell of it, they'll usually leave it alone.
Maybe it's just me but that kind of statement is what makes the rest of us look like real a--holes. Why the sarcasm? Answer the question and be nice about it. Not everyone has your extensive knowlege about classic cars.

But what do I know, I drive a REAL, replica Cobra.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Given that reproduction Cobras outnumber real cars by a factor of maybe 20:1, it's understandable that people might ask the question. I get it while driving in southern California all the time. It doesn't bother me. I respond truthfully, but often add "Seriously, what is the point of even asking the question? Do you think if it were a copy I'd tell you? Of course not. I'd say "Oh yeah, this baby's REAL," like - be honest - most replica owners do. If the person asking the question really wants to know, they'll follow up with the right questions. If they're just asking for the hell of it, they'll usually leave it alone.
I've seen hundreds of replicas from all makes and talked to most of the owners and soo far, not one of them has ever tried to pass their car off as anything but a replica........
And I do know a couple of original owners who from time to time when asked say their car IS A replica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked one guy WHY??? he said I don't want certain types of people to know I own an original for security reasons....
Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

I can only respond to my own observations, and they are that it is common to get an evasive answer to the question, for a variety of reasons, some of which - like David's prior comment - I would not have expected. As for the thought that I am being sarcastic, the situation determines the response. "Often" doesn't mean "always" and "often" is usually when you're stopped at a light and someone hollers out from another car or the sidewalk. On those occasions, the person asking really doesn't care, so they get a response that says neither do I.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
I've seen hundreds of replicas from all makes and talked to most of the owners and soo far, not one of them has ever tried to pass their car off as anything but a replica........
David, It might just be the way you approached the owners and ask the question.

Several times I've been told about a Cobra that was at a show in the area and asked if I know the car. I explain it was a replica and with some disbelief the reply is, "No, the guy said it was real."
Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

I think it is a rhetorical question intended to serve another all to obvious purpose.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I think more replica owners "fudge the truth" rather than tell it (CSX owners tend to be the greatest offenders). Personally, I go out of my way with any serious questioners to let them know that the only parts on my car that are even close to an original's time period are the block, alternator, and starter motor. I think every other part on the car was made after the year 2000.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

.......but anything that was not not built in the sixties is a replica.

Last edited by CHANMADD; 06-21-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
David, It might just be the way you approached the owners and ask the question.

Several times I've been told about a Cobra that was at a show in the area and asked if I know the car. I explain it was a replica and with some disbelief the reply is, "No, the guy said it was real."
Could be ,but I never approach a vehicle/owner and the first words out of my mouth are: "Is it real?" to some,that is somewhat insulting,be it a Cobra or Shelby Mustang and I'm more respectful to the owner than that..

I look at the car and if the owner is there, I say something like: "Nice car" or " I really like your car" and while looking at it, look for the manufacters ID plate or something that would tell me what make it is...or I'm looking on the footbox for the CSX #.....

There are some makes/models I don't care for but I ALWAYS tell the owner "Nice car" whether I like it or not, it's his/her car and they built it the way they wanted to please themselves and I respect that......

I have a 66 GT350 clone/tribute/replica/etc. whatever you want to call it and I've literally been cursed and told how I ruined a perfectly good Fastback to make it into something it can never be...to each his own, I didn't let it bother me......

David
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know that ratio was 20:1 with original and replicas or continuations. I've had various reactions but you can usually tell by a persons reaction. I had one teenager that was really excited to find out it was real and spent the time showing him various areas of the cobra. I just don't have the extensive knowledge on replicas like many here to teach the differences other than obvious details.

Knowing LA/Santa Barbara/Malibu area and traffic that is why I take it out when areas are clear late night. It's for my enjoyment and sort of a meditation at times. I don't really drive it fast, I like cruising at 30-40 and let the beast lead me. Not like when it was garaged in Greenwich CT (if you know the area) and take the Parkway from NY/CT border going north into Fairfield and returning through that no mans land straight between fairfield and exit 42 in Wesport. Use to love that quick trip.

I understand security reasons but I would neverv say it was a fake cobra. Security reasons is why my families(grandfather) name really never appears in any registry unless it was before 1950.

I actually forgot there was a Tuscan in late 60's, mine came after the Swordfish Tuscan and is a convertible.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by OnyxRider; 06-20-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
"often" is usually when you're stopped at a light and someone hollers out from another car or the sidewalk. On those occasions, the person asking really doesn't care, so they get a response that says neither do I.
I have to disagree once again. You are assuming a defensive posture and presupposing that the person asking the question is disingenuous. Why not approach the question neutrally and deal with what actually happens? Not all questions arise at car shows. If the person posing the question turns into an a--hole, then respond accordingly. You don't have to beat him to the punch.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

As the owner of a continuation Cobra, I have a hard time giving a simple answer to "Is it real or a kit?". I'm quite certain the inquirer's definition of "real" is original 1960s. I'm also pretty sure by "kit" they mean assembled in someone's garage from a pile of parts. Since it is neither the question usually leads to a discussion about the continuation series and other roller brands like Superformance and BDR. But I never lead them to believe they are looking at a true original.

Note: The words "assembled in someone's garage from a pile of parts" was not meant in a disparaging manner. I have lots of respect for anyone who has the time, skills and motivation to build their own car.
LMH likes this.

Last edited by Al G; 06-21-2013 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Added note.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Interesting thread.

I always enjoy remembering the lady SCCA Concours judge telling the other judge that Dick Smith's 198 was a replica because it didn't have Shelby's signature on the dash. Several of us witnessed that one.

Same Belmont Concours you were at, 3170, where they tried to park your ass next to the replicas.

The first thing I jump out of my pants (if you can imagine that) saying, usually loudly, is that it's arruminum. At Monterey last year, Brent and Tom Kirkham can attest to me coming close to thrashing a moron trying to sit on my rear fender while his friends were taking a picture...sucker actually tried to argue with me about it. Some folks think the brushed arruminum is a paint job of some sort...I tend to wonder what they drank or snorted.

The second thing is me going out of my way assplaining it's a reproduction...and then going even further out of my way to assplain how it began life in a MiG factory in Poland and on and on. Most folks who ask if it's real or fake know something about Shelby and the story of the Cobra (real or fake stories), but they tend to perk up more than a little when you give them the Kirkham story...a bit closer in time (end of the Cold War) for them to latch onto.

I find that original Cobra owners tend to have a great deal of patience...not sure I would. I get slightly bent when somebody asks if one of my watches is a fake.

Last edited by Jamo; 06-20-2013 at 12:34 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Interesting thread.

I always enjoy remembering the lady SCCA Concours judge telling the other judge that Dick Smith's 198 was a replica because it didn't have Shelby's signature on the dash. Several of us witnessed that one.

Same Belmont Concours you were at, 3170, where they tried to park your ass next to the replicas.

The first thing I jump out of my pants (if you can imagine that) saying, usually loudly, is that it's arruminum. At Monterey last year, Brent and Tom Kirkham can attest to me coming close to thrashing a moron trying to sit on my rear fender while his friends were taking a picture...sucker actually tried to argue with me about it. Some folks think the brushed arruminum is a paint job of some sort...I tend to wonder what they drank or snorted.

The second thing is me going out of my way assplaining it's a reproduction...and then going even further out of my way to assplain how it began life in a MiG factory in Poland and on and on. Most folks who ask if it's real or fake know something about Shelby and the story of the Cobra (real or fake stories), but they tend to perk up more than a little when you give them the Kirkham story...a bit closer in time (end of the Cold War) for them to latch onto.

I find that original Cobra owners tend to have a great deal of patience...not sure I would. I get slightly bent when somebody asks if one of my watches is a fake.
Well anyone sitting or trying to sit on a fender needs an ass-kicking.

Not sure what it is called but there is a "paint" that gives that metal look but it flows just like water. You have to get the body perfect because the smallest imperfection will show up. Usually on high end cars. What does the brushed alloyluminum lol look like up close?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
Ok this is one of two questions that I've wanted to ask for some years now. I use to be a member of SAAC over 25 yeaars ago and it was during that time I would ask this question. Now with more replicas on the market and being out in Cali driving a real S/C model it does get a bit bothersome.

Guys with original Cobras(either 289 or 427) how many times do you get asked is it a real Cobra, a kit or replica by guys that have no or little clue...and does that bother you?
As a long time member of SAAC (30+ years),

When I've had the pleasure to drive an original CSX2000 or CSX3000 series car, I am proud to let anyone who asks know yes, it is an original.

When I have the pleasure of driving the CSX4000 and up "continuation series" cars, again I am proud to let people who ask know it is a continuation series Cobra not produced in the 60's.

When I have the pleasure of driving a Cobra replica, again I proudly let people know it is indeed a replica and if they ask further let them know which brand it is.

Either you enjoy driving the car(s) or you do not. If you do drive them, you can expect to grab a higher than normal amount of attention by doing so. If you cannot mentally handle that, then perhaps selling it and buying a Prius would suit your current temperament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
I get slightly bent when somebody asks if one of my watches is a fake.
Are they?

Bill S.
saturnkk likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Closed Thread