Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
Well anyone sitting or trying to sit on a fender needs an ass-kicking.

Not sure what it is called but there is a "paint" that gives that metal look but it flows just like water. You have to get the body perfect because the smallest imperfection will show up. Usually on high end cars. What does the brushed alloyluminum lol look like up close?
There's a definite grain that flows over the body...enough for static cling numbers to fly off at about 5mph. I s'pose if you put a trowel to some of that paint before it dries?

Some folks take it down to more of a satin finish...almost no grain.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

Are they?

Bill S.
Bite me.

...but you know that.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
I'm also pretty sure by "kit" they mean assembled in someone's garage from a pile of parts.
I'm starting to be of the opinion that the term "kit" is becoming generic for any and all Cobras that are not of 60's vintage. Perhaps owners should use the term component car, as Shelby American does, as that might help in defining the new cars.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

I'm going to promote the use of the term 'Tribute Cobra'. After all, you've got your 'tribute' rock bands that are ever-so-nearly the real deal - but not.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

"Tribute" sounds too Romanesque. Makes me think of Bath, the worst combination of Roman and English meddling. I keep getting lost in Bath. Bunch of wankers laid it out, and then a bunch of wankers forgot to put up street signs.

...just sayin
Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Here we go again. Oey vey.

"CSX owners are the greatest offenders" .....Really Patrick? And from where does your empirical data come from? Would love to review it. They certainly do not offend if they say it's a real Cobra. The question is whether there is there some further moral imperative to go further and say it is of the Continuation series. You can debate that all day.

As many here can appreciate its very hard to go through the entire history of original vs. continuation series verses completions series blah, blah blah when I have the average Joe approach at the gas station and ask the usual question "is it real?". I give them the answer SAAC tells us from the Registry.

My answer is "Yes, its a real Shelby Cobra but not an original. It's a continuation series". That I believe satisfies the question truthfully and fully knowing many likely are really asking is it original. Today many know what a Continuation series Cobra is but some don't. If I have time and am engaged further I explain what they are. If not I don't and don't care and go about my business having given a truthful answer. Whether they understand it is their problem.

There.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
I'm going to promote the use of the term 'Tribute Cobra'. After all, you've got your 'tribute' rock bands that are ever-so-nearly the real deal - but not.
Or perhaps spelled with a 'K', Kobra as is done with imitation Krab made from Surimi.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
I believe the correct terminology is "cover band." Cover Cobra? Nope.

Just my opinion, but these "Is it real?" threads are boring.

Now give me a good "FE vs Windsor" thread or maybe a good "build" thread where the OP posts some bodacious pics of their just received ARP rod and intake bolts and now we're talking "Game 7 NBA Finals" type excitement.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
I'm starting to be of the opinion that the term "kit" is becoming generic for any and all Cobras that are not of 60's vintage. Perhaps owners should use the term component car, as Shelby American does, as that might help in defining the new cars.
Lets be clear, since we have this on the table.

"Cobras" are limited to original series, completion series, continuation series, COB, COX and Kirkham Cobras. I refer you to the SAAC Registry which is universally considered the Bible on all things Cobra.

The rest are generically referred to as "Cobras" by Joe public and our hobby community but technically are not legally or otherwise. They are "tribute Cobras" to coin a phrase just used.

The term "Kit" I believe is also dealt with by the Registry and does not include Shelbys either original or continuation.

I don't consider my Shelby a "kit" and never will. I serious doubt many CSX owners would either nor do I see or get the sense that the term "kit" is or is beginning to generically include them. Quite the contrary. I see and get the sense that over the years they have been accepted and considered genuine Cobras.

Disclaimer: This was not started by me so don't go there.

Last edited by REAL 1; 06-20-2013 at 02:39 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

More importantly, in Season 5 Episode 1 (6/12) of Royal Pains on the USA Network, the character Paige, Evan's new wife, drives a Cobra, which manufacturer is it? Let's be more productive with our time.

I know Patrick will figure it out. He's smart.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I know Patrick will figure it out. He's smart.
Of course he will. Now, whether he chooses to share it with others, probably not. But, we all know that when a neophyte asks "Is it real?" they are asking if it is one of the 1960 jobs. They are not looking for an interpretation of the SAAC registry, a splitting of the hairs here, or dodging of the hairs there. Any answer that does not begin with "No, it isn't, but..." creates the appearance of impropriety, even if the response is not technically incorrect to those of us who "know the procedural rules."
A-Snake and saturnkk like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Lets be clear, since we have this on the table.

I don't consider my Shelby a "kit" and never will. I serious doubt many CSX owners would either nor do I see or get the sense that the term "kit" is or is beginning to generically include them. Quite the contrary. I see and get the sense that over the years they have been accepted and considered genuine Cobras.
You may have missed this page in the Registry on component Cobras.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Of course he will. Now, whether he chooses to share it with others, probably not. But, we all know that when a neophyte asks "Is it real?" they are asking if it is one of the 1960 jobs. They are not looking for an interpretation of the SAAC registry, a splitting of the hairs here, or dodging of the hairs there. Any answer that does not begin with "No, it isn't, but..." creates the appearance of impropriety, even if the response is not technically incorrect to those of us who "know the procedural rules."
+1, well said Patrickt
Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Snake View Post
You may have missed this page in the Registry on component Cobras.
Evan knows about that passage, since I've quoted it to him in threads like this one years and years ago.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Evan knows about that passage, since I've quoted it to him in threads like this one years and years ago.
I guess this thread gives us more insight into the reason for the OP question.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxRider View Post
Does it annoy you guys being asked if it real or replica?
Here's the OP's original question. I mean really, what do you expect the answer to be?

They're all very excited and happy to be asked the question every time they take their cars out of the garage.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

They're all very excited and happy to be asked the question every time they take their cars out of the garage.
But you skillfully avoid that conundrum.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
But you skillfully avoid that conundrum.
Gotcha.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I believe the correct terminology is "cover band." Cover Cobra? Nope.

Just my opinion, but these "Is it real?" threads are boring.

Now give me a good "FE vs Windsor" thread or maybe a good "build" thread where the OP posts some bodacious pics of their just received ARP rod and intake bolts and now we're talking "Game 7 NBA Finals" type excitement.
REALLY???
Have a look at all the heavy hitters this thread has brought out to play...
Nedsel
A-snake
Mr Mustang
Real1
ERA Chas
Patrickt

Even Jamo's back joining in the fray, and launching the three ball...

Have I missed anyone?

This is more like a "Getting-the-band-back-together" Blues Bros. style thread, rather than a "Cover band" thread

I say Game on...

...and PS: GO SPURS!! My fingers are crossed for game 7.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Let's face it, if someone can't tell it's real, then they're probably asking for "all the wrong reasons"
Nedsel likes this.