17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2017, 05:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Dang, I just spent some time on the hillbankusa.com site. I don't see how you can get a new SPF now with a small block 427 for anywhere near $70k.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:22 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Dang, I just spent some time on the hillbankusa.com site. I don't see how you can get a new SPF now with a small block 427 for anywhere near $70k.
There are other engine choices than Roush, etc. It IS possible to do a basic spec car for about 75K but it will be just that, basic. Notice that I had suggested the OP stretch his budget number a bit to get a better specification? Nowhere did I say a 427W for $70,000.

Jay,

We do not have a defined "territory" as such and I don't market at Barrett-Jackson type events as the cost to benefit ratio does not work for us. We leave that to you high roller, shooter types!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 06-27-2017, 05:47 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
You're not going to get a new turnkey car with a 427 FE for that price. Either a 427W for that price, additional $$ for an FE or you can look for a used one. Your call.
Brian's right. All one has to do is look at 427 block prices and the folly of that becomes apparent. An FE is possible at that price point but it won't be a 427 block. Not that that is a huge bad thing as many "real" 427 Cobras came with a 428 anyway. That's what I did with my last one, found a 428 block (lots cheaper than a 427) and built a very nice engine on that platform.

BTW, + 1 on going with VMS for a new build.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:57 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default The sad thing...

The sad thing is that the price point for a nice turnkey SPF, ERA, KMS, SAI has moved well north of six figures. This puts the new turnkey Cobra hobby out of reach for most guys and, unfortunately, the subset of those buyers that were also wrenching on cars is becoming smaller and smaller (because if you were spending your time working on cars in high school you have a smaller probability of being able to piss away a hundred grand on a toy 30 years later). The result is that the car gets bought, parked in a garage, a speck of dirt clogs the carb, and the car rarely, if ever gets driven, and then gets sold to a new guy that does the same thing.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The sad thing is that the price point for a nice turnkey SPF, ERA, KMS, SAI has moved well north of six figures. This puts the new turnkey Cobra hobby out of reach for most guys and, unfortunately, the subset of those buyers that were also wrenching on cars is becoming smaller and smaller (because if you were spending your time working on cars in high school you have a smaller probability of being able to piss away a hundred grand on a toy 30 years later). The result is that the car gets bought, parked in a garage, a speck of dirt clogs the carb, and the car rarely, if ever gets driven, and then gets sold to a new guy that does the same thing.
While that maybe true for some it's not the reality I see in the majority of my customers.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

I managed to find some actual Superformance package pricing online so here's something to reference: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ce4c70...db04220d96.pdf

The only reason I make a point of this is because the OP set the ceiling at $70k.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We can supply a base MK III with a Windsor 427 and new TKO 600 for $71,500. The chassis will have the stainless header tank and tonneau cover. The SPF comes with a limited slip, heater/defroster and leather seats which may be optional on some other cars. All of the standard goodies like 15" knock-off wheels, Wilwood brakes with booster, etc. And that is choice of "Roadster" (undercar exhaust, no roll bar, etc.) or "S/C"(sidepipes, roll bar, etc.)

The engine is a Windsor stroker 495 HP aluminum head single 4 BBL with aluminum bellhousing (steel is $300 extra) and professionally installed by a third party shop.

And note that the OP has not posted or responded to any of the posts regarding this so we are most likely in mental masturbation mode here.
cycleguy55 likes this.

Last edited by Mark IV; 06-27-2017 at 07:50 AM..
Old 06-27-2017, 08:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just did some figuring and we can supply a 428 FE dressed as a 427 for that same price. Look here: Southern Automotive

Old 06-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV View Post
Just did some figuring and we can supply a 428 FE dressed as a 427 for that same price. Look here: Southern Automotive
Uhhh, their "428 Engine Specs & Prices" page has not been updated in 14 years. Now, maybe prices and iron block availability has remained the same....
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Uhhh, their "428 Engine Specs & Prices" page has not been updated in 14 years. Now, maybe prices and iron block availability has remained the same....
That would explain why I feel like I am in a time machine.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"Fake News"
Buzz and 1795 like this.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:47 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan parham View Post
"Fake News"
And you need to know who Susan is to appreciate.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Susan is a quality person and I have no complaints.
Buzz likes this.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

So a 427W on a production block?

Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Or on a Ford Racing block for additional cost. There are a lot of "seasoned" Windsor blocks running around in the mid to high 400 HP range and if you don't need to spin 7500 RPM they will work well enough.

I know of many factory blocks in Cobras and other cars that do a fine job of what is asked by reasonable power levels. I still love the guys with 600++++HP in their Cobra and BFG TAs on the wheels!

Old 06-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And note that the OP has not posted or responded to any of the posts regarding this so we are most likely in mental masturbation mode here.
He/she probably decided to go out and buy a C7 Corvette. I was going to suggest it, but I'm trying to be nicer these days.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The result is that the car gets bought, parked in a garage, a speck of dirt clogs the carb, and the car rarely, if ever gets driven, and then gets sold to a new guy that does the same thing.
The story of my life. I keep promising myself to get the pile of $hit out of the garage, but....
Old 06-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
An FE is possible at that price point but it won't be a 427 block. Not that that is a huge bad thing as many "real" 427 Cobras came with a 428 anyway.
That's what 428 replica owners, like Patrick, keep telling themselves to continue the delusion that their cars are just as good as any replica with a real FE, er, 427.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Or on a Ford Racing block for additional cost. There are a lot of "seasoned" Windsor blocks running around in the mid to high 400 HP range and if you don't need to spin 7500 RPM they will work well enough.

I know of many factory blocks in Cobras and other cars that do a fine job of what is asked by reasonable power levels. I still love the guys with 600++++HP in their Cobra and BFG TAs on the wheels!
A 408 perhaps but a 427 just is asking too much of a stock block IMO.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MidStates, 351C, 4spd, 9"
Send a message via AIM to krausewich
Not Ranked     

Hit up CobraKiwi ! Craig - 1.434.465.9493

He currently has a few Aluminum builds going on right now for forum members. Car will be made YOUR way, and he uses all the good ingredients! Certainly worth the call to discuss options!!

Mike.

M. Krause