• 1 Post By patrickt
  • 1 Post By twobjshelbys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Has anybody ot anything good to say about Hydraulic Throw out clutch bearings?

Hi guys

I am looking at actuating the clutch between my FE and TKO 600 with a hydraulic throw out. However, all I have read is negative reports on these units. Many people have experienced seal failure, yet most modern small cars utilise this form of clutch operation.
I am wondering if the failures are caused by not having a precisely adjusted clutch pedal stop??
In any case can anybody recommend these as truly reliable and which unit/manufacturer would that be?
Old 10-09-2017, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Well, I am not running an FE or a TKO, but rather a 289 with a close ratio top loader. However, I am using a Mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing and I have had no clutch problems. I never shift below 5,00 rpms and typically am shifting at around 6500-7200 rpms with no problems on the race car. Typically these shifts are occurring around bevy braking and cornering, so a lot of external forces going on with no problems.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

The reasons an external slave cylinder with clutch fork could be preferred over an internal throw out bearing are:
1)No hydraulic fluid near the clutch.
2)Don't have to remove the transmission in the event of failure.
Mark
Gaz64 and Joey.S like this.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Any slight misalignment will eat the HTOB and the cost of finding all of the issues far exceeds the gain. After it failed the second time I just went with the classic external slave and fork.
4pipes likes this.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Use Tilton.....they have been around a long time with Hyd. TOB......
legenmetals likes this.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I've had a McLeod in my Cobra for 18 years behind my 427 with a toploader first and now a TKO 600 No problems. I also have a Tilton in my Daytona Coupe behind a Coyote and a T56.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-10-2017, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 B&B cobra
Not Ranked     

I have a Tilton in my cobra with a 525hp Windsor, TKO 5 speed, no problems, be sure to put in a pedal stop and will last for years!
legenmetals likes this.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

But, if you are a regular "shade tree" mechanic, with a nice, but not professional grade, garage, then servicing a HTOB that is leaking, misbehaving, etc. becomes a weekend killing PITA. If you have the room in the tunnel to install a traditional fork and slave, then do it.
twobjshelbys likes this.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cars Limited, 302 EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Thanks guys

Seems as suspected, external slave and fork if possible. If not Tilton, perfect line up and clutch pedal stop.

I have new FE/Quick Time RM 6057/ short shaft 600 TKO + McLeod 12” Street Pro, awaiting installation, once the current engine comes out.

Can anyone please suggest an off the shelf, aftermarket clutch fork and slave cylinder that is intended as a bolt in for this set up?
Old 10-10-2017, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Ventura View Post
Thanks guys

Seems as suspected, external slave and fork if possible. If not Tilton, perfect line up and clutch pedal stop.

I have new FE/Quick Time RM 6057/ short shaft 600 TKO + McLeod 12” Street Pro, awaiting installation, once the current engine comes out.

Can anyone please suggest an off the shelf, aftermarket clutch fork and slave cylinder that is intended as a bolt in for this set up?
Someone here has a kit that fits into a Quicktime bell housing. I think it is Mike Forte. If it isn't someone will correct me. It's the one I used on mine and I loved the feel of the clutch afterwards.

I have a list from the guy that installed it:

Parts required: External slave kit
Clutch fork
Release bearing
Adjustable fork pivot ball
Tremec trans. front bearing retainer
13/16 Master cyl. to replace current 3/4

Like I said I'm pretty sure he got the stuff from Forte after I got them together but my pack-rat email doesn't show it since I just got them together for it. Note the change to the master cylinder...

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 10-10-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Old 10-10-2017, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I knew there was something about this already. Goes way back.

Start with this one:

CNC Clutch Master Cylinder

There are several discussions about the cylinders themselves. Lots of cars use the CNC cylinders.

CNC, Inc. - Manufacturers of Quality Pedals & Brake Components

Be sure to get the steel sleeved cylinders. The aluminum only ones fail rapidly if things aren't perfect. My clutch fluid was gross because of the aluminum in the fluid and once it starts, the metal becomes a file and things go down hill quickly!

Good luck!
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Contact Mike Forte, I believe he is an advertiser here, he will set you up with everything you need.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The most common point of failure for the early hydraulic TOBs was their banjo fittings which used o-rings to provide a seal. They looked cool but the clutch heat in the bellhousing would deteriorate the banjo fitting o-rings over time and the TOB would begin to leak.

When McLeod went to their second generation hydraulic TOB they eliminated the banjo fittings and used plain fittings with NPT threading to go straight into the TOB. Once the banjo fittings and their o-ring style seals were gone so to were the leaks.

The external slave cylinder with a mechanical throwout bearing arm is by far the most straight forward clutch release mechanism. More importantly if the hydraulic paraphernalia does go kaput, for whatever reason, it is easily serviced on the outside of the bell housing.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

I bought a McLeod HTOB. One of the newly designed "fixed" units. Installed it in front of my TKO 600. Pedal stop is a must. Was able to go to a smaller master cylinder for easier pedal effort. Nice and smooth clutch, easy to push. Loved it right up until it started leaking. Had to take off the transmission to fix it. As stated, not an easy fix. Now it sits on my shelf gathering dust. I'd rather deal with a harder, less smooth pedal than have to do that again.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Swivel fitting

The early Tilton were leaking around the swivel fitting - 20 years ago.
I would consider this fixed ;-)

I actually used a copper ring conversion which I tightened through holes which I drilled into the bellhousing.

It is very helpful if your chassis is close to the clutch slave cylinder or TO bearing lever. If you don't have a supplier for that slave cylinder bracket, it takes a bit of fabricating.

Time you can save by using the internal version.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

I have a tilton I never used if interested $150 plus shipping. It's what I paid for it.................