LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Oil cooler for Tremec TKO600 ?

Hi guys,
does anyone of you use a oil cooling System for the TKo600 tranny ? If so, which System do you use and can you post a Picture from Installation with Location in your cobra ?

Thanks from Germany,
Stephan
Old 08-10-2018, 05:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Are you racing your car with the TKO600?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

65,000 miles of street and HPDE - no cooler for the trans. But for the next build with the same engine / trans combination I will install temp sensor to evaluate. Same for the diff this time.
I'll always run a temp controlled cooler for engine oil.
Jim
Old 08-10-2018, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Stephen

This is going to be a long Post .... so sit back and study the photo's so you can understand why we did what we did.

First we'll start with a old saying I've taught many folks
"A switch controls a relay .... and a Relay controls a Load"

So here is the Fire wall of KMP259 so you can see the Relays and another fuse distribution center. to power the loads on the Relays, Fuel Pumps, Differential Pumps and Transmission Pump. Also you can see the Transmission pump mounted on the side of the Tunnel behind the Bell Housing.

Here is the Top of the TKO 600.... You'll see that we installed a 90*degree fitting in the vent area for the Transmission so we can use a Aeroquip hose up to the Catch Can. Also you can see the second Plate for the shifter we removed and welded a 1/2" NPT Bung in the plate for filling the Transmission from the top.

eschaider likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the photo of how we mounted the Weldon Pump on rubber Isolaters on the side of the Tunnel to tuck it out of the way yet make it close enough to plumb the Pump/Filter/ Cooler.

Here's the input and mounting bracket for the filter.... You will notice since we mount sending units with teflon we have to use safety wire to ground the sending unit to the chassis. No they don't ground themselves thru the NTP....

Then on the output side of the Filter we turn the output around and head back to the input side of the pump... notice the the level of the Transmission Fluid is above the pump and that makes it easy on the pump as the fluid is all ready at the input level of the pump when activated and the pump does not cavatate with any air in the lines.
eschaider likes this.

Last edited by Morris; 08-10-2018 at 02:09 PM..
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's where we mounted the cooler ... we take the air that is coming down the tunnel and exit the air out the cooler. work like a champ.

Here's the Brackets we made to hold the cooler and mount it on rubber Isolaters and the hole in the bottom Torsional Plates to evacuate the air coming down the tunnel.... Remember the area under the car is a Low pressure area.

Here you can see the Plumbing of the Transmission from bottom of the transmission to the filter then to the Weldon Pump, and then to the cooler then back to the transmission. I had Liberty modify my transmission so we could bring the fluid back into the Transmission at the Meeting point of the Input main shaft and the Counter Shaft where most of the heat is generated.

eschaider likes this.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

However, you can just run the cooled Fluid back into the transmission where the side of the transmission fill hole normally is. like this. we did this at first untill Liberty Transmission said to weld a bung in the side of the transmission so we can flow cool oil back into the mesh of the Input shaft and the Counter Shaft. That's also why we put the fill hole on the top of the transmission, because we can change fluid quickly by taking off the bottom hose and drain the fluid out .... then fill with the amount of fluid we drained thru the top of the transmission.

This is just a photo of the side of the Transmission showing the filter and plumbing from the top

And just another Top view of the Transmission and how we tucked the Pump and filter and cooler out of the way of the transmission. When we remove the transmission we don't have to disconnect anything but the drain hose and we do that anyway and the input hose to the transmission to be removed.

Hope that helps out ...

Morris/KMP259
AndrewB, eschaider, Gaz64 and 1 others like this.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:37 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Well, Stephan427SC, ask and you shall receive.

It's so awesome to see a Cobra done to the nth degree.

Thanks, Morris.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stephan

I forgot to tell you the temperatures .... I can't say what the temps are without the cooler.... but when we run the first 2 laps it runs around 180*degrees and that's warming up .... when we go up to speed ...the temp goes up with the cooler up to 195*degrees and stabilizes there.... I would say without the cooler it probably is running around 205*-225*degrees which we feel is to high.....plus the shifting is fine .... but we grab the bottom of the shifter to move it..... for some reason with your hand low on the shifter it likes it .... if I shift at the top where the Delrin knob is ...it seems to want to grind the gears....
so we just shift lower on the stick. I think that on the top of the stick ... you just have to much power and start forcing the gears in stead of letting them mesh like they should be... Liberty told me to just use it.... and we did... after the first run the filter was quite dirty .... but now it's clean.... when we check it ....
Old 08-11-2018, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found some better photo's of the Relays

And the Fuse center for the Relays and loads.

eschaider likes this.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Awesome implementation Morris!

Thanks for sharing your experiences and how you addressed the various challenges with the TKO. Pristine falls a bit short of the mark. Very impressive job — as always.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.