LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
Larry, it’s a process of making male and female molds from an existing body. Here is a link to a book chapter that discusses various techniques for doing it. I would bet Tjd could give us a doctoral dissertation if he felt like it, though.

https://books.google.com/books?id=il...20mold&f=false
Thanks! I actually knew what it meant, I wondered if others did and that we were all on the same page, so to speak. In the case of Hurricane molding an original car, a damaged oil cooler scoop on CSX3235 made it's way to the mold and bodies cast thereafter. It's slight but we had a discussion about it way back when I had my Hurricane. We concluded it just added to the original look!
Larry
Old 02-25-2020, 06:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Larry, it’s a process of making male and female molds from an existing body.
Well that explains why some of the cars around here look masculine and some look feminine.
snakeeyes likes this.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Thanks! I actually knew what it meant, I wondered if others did and that we were all on the same page, so to speak. In the case of Hurricane molding an original car, a damaged oil cooler scoop on CSX3235 made it's way to the mold and bodies cast thereafter. It's slight but we had a discussion about it way back when I had my Hurricane. We concluded it just added to the original look!
Larry
That reminds me of Gus Macrae in “Lonesome Dove”, commenting that the scar on Lorrie’s face made her more attractive, not less. Sometimes imperfections make us more perfect, I guess.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
Great info here. I appreciate the responses. This confirms what I suspected in looking at SPF vs. CSX cars. And also where part of the price difference comes in. Not only are you paying for the CSX number but a more accurate body line and also the chassis with a round tube frame.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause waves amongst the members. But if I am spending $50K+ I want to get as accurate a car as I can.

Tom
$50k will not come close to a SPF or a CSX or an ERA sorry man.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
$50k will not come close to a SPF or a CSX or an ERA sorry man.
There was a "+" on there.

I'm seeing plenty of ERAs in the $60s. SPF start in that range and higher. I struggle with their low profile tires which are common with them and lack of an FE in many. CSX in the lower 6 figures other than the recent anomaly in CA for $99,000 that someone reported was an estate sale, purchased and now for sale much higher.

Tom
Old 02-26-2020, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

There are good cars to be had in the price range that you are looking for. Just take your time and look around. The typical cobra owner is aging and every now and then you see a member posting here saying that they have to give up their cobra for health reasons.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

I picked up my Hi-Tech last year right in the price range you’re looking in. It’s a very, very nice car that needed nothing at all. Prior to that I was looking at a very nice early ERA with a side-oiler that needed nothing except a fresh set of tires and maybe a little detailing. That one was for sale in the low 40s and could probably have been picked up for around 42. It just takes a little looking and maybe visiting sites like Auto Trader and for sale forums on sites like this, rather than relying exclusively on Cobra Country. Patience is obviously key.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
What do you like better....real tits or fake tits.
Fred
Well, I never touched fake tits.

Actually, other than TV and pictures, I never laid eyes on fake tits.

No doubt I have to have been in a room at some time, where some fully dress lady had fake tits, but I was unaware.

Oh, there was this strip club once, but none of them said one way or the other if they had fake tits.

Then there was my neighbor's funeral, where her brother who had surgically become her sister, was there. I assume those were fake tits.

On the other hand, I have stood next to several original Cobras and hundreds of replicas.

That all said, I prefer a Cobra over tits. Fake or real. Tits are too easy to come by, and you only want to play with em for so long. I can ride in my Cobra all day long and never loose interest.
Anthony, rads42 and 1795 like this.

Last edited by olddog; 02-26-2020 at 08:47 AM..
Old 02-26-2020, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Larry

Truth. I can walk down a row of cobras and look at the oil cooler opening and pick out the Hurricanes. Kind of cool !
LMH likes this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I picked up my Hi-Tech last year right in the price range you’re looking in. It’s a very, very nice car that needed nothing at all. Prior to that I was looking at a very nice early ERA with a side-oiler that needed nothing except a fresh set of tires and maybe a little detailing. That one was for sale in the low 40s and could probably have been picked up for around 42. It just takes a little looking and maybe visiting sites like Auto Trader and for sale forums on sites like this, rather than relying exclusively on Cobra Country. Patience is obviously key.
If any of the older pre-Kirkham brands deserved the title of "most accurate Cobra replica" it probably should've been Hi-Tech (The Tom D'Antonio cars - not the SPF parent company). Absolutely beautifully executed - especially with the aluminum hood, door and trunk lid options.
snakeeyes and ERA 626 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 02-26-2020, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
If any of the older pre-Kirkham brands deserved the title of "most accurate Cobra replica" it probably should've been Hi-Tech (The Tom D'Antonio cars - not the SPF parent company). especially with the aluminum hood, door and trunk lid options.
Yep Flew out to phoenix , and almost put a deposit on one, but had cold feet. they went ? bankrupt shortly there after. I think the guy who owned the company also owned autotrader at some time. I still have the brochure somewhere.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-26-2020, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yep Flew out to phoenix , and almost put a deposit on one, but had cold feet. they went ? bankrupt shortly there after. I think the guy who owned the company also owned autotrader at some time. I still have the brochure somewhere.
As a long-time ERA fan I remember being “jealous” of the High-Tech cars when they came out, because to my eye they looked as good as an ERA plus the frames allowed interchangeability with original CSX parts. Took me years to get behind the wheel of one but I’ve been very impressed.
Buzz likes this.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Fake T.....

If you haven't touched them, you should give it a try unless you are gay but I always thought gay meant happy. As far as the real, fake, original, replica banter..... who really cares except the people who's ego's get in their way about it. Seems to be a lot of that around here. The only thing I know for certain is that the original cars weren't very good and they weren't very well made and the first ones were flat out ugly. Except for value, which is meaningless to most people, the modern replicas are better than the originals in every way.

Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Well, I never touched fake tits.

Actually, other than TV and pictures, I never laid eyes on fake tits.

No doubt I have to have been in a room at some time, where some fully dress lady had fake tits, but I was unaware.

Oh, there was this strip club once, but none of them said one way or the other if they had fake tits.

Then there was my neighbor's funeral, where her brother who had surgically become her sister, was there. I assume those were fake tits.

On the other hand, I have stood next to several original Cobras and hundreds of replicas.

That all said, I prefer a Cobra over tits. Fake or real. Tits are too easy to come by, and you only want to play with em for so long. I can ride in my Cobra all day long and never loose interest.
rads42 likes this.

Last edited by FredG; 02-26-2020 at 02:54 PM..
Old 02-26-2020, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just to be pedantic; the original definition of the word 'replica' was a copy of an original item made by the manufacturer/creator of that original. Hence a Frazer-Nash Le Mans Replica was an FN copy of their Le Mans team cars. Made by another company and it's a copy.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I always wanted to ask this! What the definition of “Splashed”?
Larry
Here's a picture of the mould that was made from the front section of my car.....

edit: ....and the second picture (added) is what the underside of the mould looks like. Obviously, if the surfaces being "splashed" are well prepared, then the mould is just as good.

Cheers,
Glen
Attached Images

snakeeyes and LMH like this.

Last edited by xb-60; 02-26-2020 at 07:29 PM..
Old 02-26-2020, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Boy, this one really fired up the base. So much activity I'm surprised the site hasn't crashed again.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think I've ever seen a flat out ugly original Cobra ( got any pics?); and for lightweight, limited production, hand-built 1960's sports cars they weren't that badly made.
I have seen plenty of butt-ugly abominations from the replica industry though . I can agree however, that some modern replicas are pretty high quality cars. They're definitely not all created equal.
snakeeyes likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 02-27-2020, 07:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a flat out ugly original Cobra ( got any pics?)
No, but there are aspects of originality that a lot of us just don't like. For instance, the missing little hub cab on the rear. I just think it looks funny. Yes, I know they aren't needed on the originals, and they're not needed on my ERA outboard braked rear, but I have them there nonetheless. I can think of a couple of other things as well.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:23 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and I don't like a dash, any dash, that doesn't have a glove box.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And that godawful single roll bar?