Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2020, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don’t forget that Carroll Shelby sued that South African company and its US distributor.
Larry
Old 02-29-2020, 03:41 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Don’t forget that Carroll Shelby sued that South African company and its US distributor.
Larry
And then made nice and hired them to build his cars.......
ERA 626 and LMH like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 02-29-2020, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Can't discount that racing heritage, and Corvette thumping competition success elevated the popularity of the slab side/FIA cars. I'm a fan of the 427 cars and especially street cars, but that 289 racing heritage and success is something they just didn't have a chance to achieve due to evolution of performance.
1795 likes this.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

I always wondered why, of all places, South Africa was the place a lot of these cars come from.

Fred
Old 02-29-2020, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredG View Post
I always wondered why, of all places, South Africa was the place a lot of these cars come from.

Fred
Wouldn’t have anything to do with cheap labor ?
Old 02-29-2020, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

South Africa's Bob Olthoff - Dennis Olthoff's father - drove a Cobra with the Willment Team starting in 1964. Quite likely there are other people and circumstances that influenced the rise of the grassroots Cobra replica industry in that country.
1795 and Alfa02 like this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-29-2020 at 12:14 PM..
Old 02-29-2020, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
South Africa's Bob Olthoff - Dennis Olthoff's father - drove a Cobra with the Willment Team starting in 1964. Quite likely there are other people and circumstances that influenced the rise of the grassroots Cobra replica industry in that country.
I remember attending Shelby Mid America in the 2000s and seeing Dennis driving and racing what I recall was a SPF. I believe he also competed in the Run and Gun competition with the same car. I also knew of the connection of his father racing in the 60s. Was either Olthoff an owner in SPF? What was the connection?

Tom
Old 02-29-2020, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
Hi-tech is the parent company for Superformance. The factory in South Africa builds both the SPF cars and the CSX cars. They are completely different cars.
I am beilng told CS was having quality issues with the other buiders of the continuation cars. So he contracted Hi-tech to build the CSX cars. As a part of the deal (money grab) he had to license SPF. I am in no way saying anything negitive about SPF cars as they are very nice cars, the Quaity on the fit/finish comong from the SA factory is amazing. This is why CS contracted Hi-tech to Build the CSX cars.

I am friends will Bill Denbeste he has several million dollars in Cobras in his showroom (cobra wall) I was able to see the differences on the HST CSX cars, the Hi-tech CSX cars. it becomes obvious the quality differences between the cars. Needless to say I liked the Hi-tech SA car. However that being said the finished car is only as good as the person or company finishing the build. Bill has several Kirkhams several CSX cars and 2 CSX 3000 series cars, the collection of cobras in his windsor showroom is impressive. In the same building is the Shelby engine Co. very nice shop.
Great info and helps fill in the gaps some.

I see Hi-Tech being mentioned here and other responses. Did they exist before SPF? I though SPF was started in South Africa. Which came first?

What does HST stand for? What number did they stop building in the CSX run? I am guessing HT picked up right after?

All I remember is Shelby working with the prison system to build his cars in the 90s(?) and then I read how it went to South Africa and SPF was providing the rollers.

Please correct or add as much as possible. I'm trying to learn this history.

Tom

Last edited by tomshep; 02-29-2020 at 09:38 PM..
Old 02-29-2020, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
I remember attending Shelby Mid America in the 2000s and seeing Dennis driving and racing what I recall was a SPF. I believe he also competed in the Run and Gun competition with the same car. I also knew of the connection of his father racing in the 60s. Was either Olthoff an owner in SPF? What was the connection?

Tom
I believe Dennis was one of the first SPF dealers in the U.S.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomshep View Post
Great info and helps fill in the gaps some.

I see Hi-Tech being mentioned here and other responses. Did they exist before SPF? I though SPF was started in South Africa. Which came first?

Tom
It’s easy to get confused because there are actually two Hi-Techs in Cobra lore. The first was begun by Tom D’Antonio in, I believe, Arizona in the 90s. Tom is actually a Club Cobra member who goes by “Tjd” so maybe he’ll stop in here. THAT Hi-Tech didn’t stick around too long but while they existed they built some of the most accurate replicas out there. They were the first replica to build a frame so accurate that original Cobra parts were interchangeable, and they offered aluminum body options before that became common.

The second Hi-Tech is the South African one. My knowledge about where they fit into things is limited so I’ll let others take up that thread if they want, but I don’t believe there is any connection between the two companies beyond the name.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

The first Hi-Tech company built my replica of CSX 3002 with all the correct details. It is a great car. I was the second owner
Old 03-01-2020, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I don't know that HST stood for anything... It was the name of the company, HST International from San Diego. Their primary business was armor stratified vehicles. HST and Hi-Tech were building cars at the same time. HST also built some carbon fiber cars. (I had one.)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

I think HST cars were being built in Mexico, there were quality issues. Some were very nice some were Bad...
I have seen an example of a CSX HST car where the rear wheels off sets are wrong, the carbon fiber body work is BAD... I think (I may be wrong) but Shelby contracted Hi-tech in SA after the quality issues at HST.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
I think HST cars were being built in Mexico, there were quality issues. Some were very nice some were Bad...
I have seen an example of a CSX HST car where the rear wheels off sets are wrong, the carbon fiber body work is BAD... I think (I may be wrong) but Shelby contracted Hi-tech in SA after the quality issues at HST.
HST was based in San Diego with manufacturing in Tijuana.

This is the first I've heard of quality issues with HST (of course, there can be what some considered quality issues with all of them though), and I'll reiterate that the quality of HST was considered higher than HiTech at the time as dealers requested HST cars.

The carbon fiber body on mine was perfect.

Shelby contracted with HiTech because HST couldn't build enough. They were very small. The Cobra business was in some ways a hobby, er, passion, of the owner of the company, but they couldn't build enough.

I got excellent support from HST. I had a huge door crack due to a rock and sent the door to them for repair. Not only did they have the right color to repaint it, but they had MY PAINT!!! They had some of the original paint still in the can. The match was perfect.

The guy that ran the Cobra portion of the business was a former French race driver.
ERA 626 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 03-01-2020 at 12:30 PM..