17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-10-2020, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, 428
Not Ranked     

Hi Sydney,

I came across this thread and I too am looking for a cross bar to fit my Everett Morrison SS roll bar to attach my harness to. My roll bar is made of 1.25" SS tubing with an OD of 1.66" or 1 5/8". Did you say that your cross bar had 2" ID clamps and that the difference is made up with a rubber pad?
I have been trying to determine which clamps would actually fit my roll bar - and you may have solved my question.
Do you still have a cross bar for sale with the 2" clamps?

Martin
Old 09-10-2020, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

Tubing is measured Outside Diameter. Pipe is measured by the hole inside diameter = ID. My roll bar is 1 1/2" OD and the clamps for the cross bar are of 2" OD, so with the wall thickness and a rubber strip as a cushion in between it works out. The rubber strips are about 1 1/2" to 2" wide and over 6" long. My roll bar is not shiny or chrome but is was designed to work to protect the driver. taller than my head, thick material with all points anchored to the frame . So many of the roll bars I see are shorter than the driver just sitting sand some are just for looks, some with the rear brace leg just sitting on the rear deck.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

My EM frame was manufactured in 93 and the body in 95. I bought their polished SS roll bar in 95. It is interesting that yours and mine have different OD's, but I am not surprised. The information I provided in my post came from a SS tubing chart, which matches the OD of my roll bar. I would assume that since we both have EM cars, that the mounting of the roll bars would be identical. My hoop bolts to a piece of tube steel that is bolted to the frame on both sides of the frame and the rear brace bolts directly to the frame. My roll bar is taller that my head for protection and is track approved according the EM when I visited the shop in Tampa.
Things have not been the same since the sale and move to Texas, but then again, a lot has changed since the 90's for the replica business.
It sounds like the 2" cross brace will work fine for my roll bar as long as I can find the rubber to match.
Thanks for your response - it's nice to talk to another EM owner.
It's a shame that Buford, Brett, and Bruce chose to sell, I think their product is still one of the best on the road.
Martin
Old 09-10-2020, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, 351W
Not Ranked     

Hi Martin,

The cross bar that I have is made for a 1 1/2" OD roll bar. The clamps are 1 5/8" ID and 2" OD. the rubber insert is 1/16" thick which makes it fit a 1 1/2" bar. I think it would fit a 1 5/8" OD bar without the rubber insert installed if one chose to do that and was not concerned with scratches, or maybe a single layer of electrical tape. I do have one left.

Sydney
Old 09-12-2020, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the offer Sydney - I am going to try and find one a little larger so I can have a little rubber around the roll bar.

Martin