Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I went to GTSparkplugs website and their guide said that MOMO, SPSRCO, ISOTTA, and NRG have 6 bolt 70mm PCD. " PCD" kept coming up I still do not know what that means.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
PCD" kept coming up I still do not know what that means.

That's Pitch Circle Diameter. It's the diameter of the circle as it passes through the center of the holes.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you I would never come up with that answer but it makes sense.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 11-28-2020 at 11:05 PM..
Old 10-27-2020, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

FWIW, I think that dished steering wheels were adopted for safety. They give a bit of crush before your chest collides with the hard center. Now we've got air bags...
Old 10-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Remember the cars with the flat wheel, early, had telescoping steering column.
Better for the fat Americans....
Riverside racer likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 10-30-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Old 10-29-2020, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is the first I've heard about telescoping steering columns on any original cobras. that would explain those photos on this thread. Not an original never was. replica with" historically warranted modifications" The fat part is mine. The old steering column and wheel are from a 62-76 Triumph. not telescoping but a flat steering wheel. I'm intent on converting to a Quick release steering hub set up. I've looked around and I want something I'd trust and the spline drive is what I'm going for Besides being fat i also have had knee and hip replacement and that further complicates getting in and out. I never got in and out the way Matt Damen did in the movie but it is now a real chore. I think I could make a great entertaining video of me getting in and out of the car especially now with my new soft top.
As my car sits now The flat Triumph steering wheel misses the cowl by 1 3/4" It fits me driving just great. My snag was I can get the Quick Release Steering Hubs in 3, 5, and 6 bolt patterns The IDIDIT brand QRSH 6 bolt pattern is the MOMO, SPARCO, NRG, SABELT, FLASH POWER, OMP, and FOREVER SHARP,, steering wheel 6 bolt patterns. are the 70mm circle with the top center bolt at 12 O-clock. The minimum dish on a 6 bolt steering wheel seems to be starting at 1 3/4". The Triumph black plastic hub and the QRSH are about the same of 2" ,almost a wash. So my choice is the least dished 6 bolt or a flat 9 bolt and a 1/2" thick adapter spacer to go from 9 to 6 bolt. I'm planning this to death. My Old Triumph steering column has the working turn and headlamp dimmer switches I plan on keeping. The Triumph steering wheel started as a 14 1/2" OD and is leather padded and wrapped almost 15 "OD. the black plastic hub and steering wheel have an odd bolt pattern . three spokes with two bolts per spoke and another empty hole top center so nothing I can use later. I have found steering wheels in 14" =350mm, 14 1/2" =365mm, and 15" = 380mm I need to make some decisions. I'd like to be able to explain why and not say that was the way the coin flip landed. The Quick Release Steering Hubs didn't start with street driven cars so no horns , I want the horn on the steering wheel to work.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The plan is to covert my car to a Quick Release Steering Hub is what this discussion is about. I have looked at the Popular NRG hubs and they have the simple horn wiring issue covered but they also use the steel ball and aluminum hub that seems to have a short life span with use. I'm making changes for my cars future. I have gotten fat and right knee and hip replacement. getting in and out are more challenging than when Me and the started. I have looked around and think the splined center and hub unit from IDIDIT with it's dead spline as a long lasting conversion, If only the horn issue was covered. I want the steering wheel horn to work The steering wheel bolt pattern and the QRSH bolt patterns converge at the 6 bolt 70mm trying to pin down amount of dish, bolt pattern , and now the metal part of the steering wheel is made from. Aluminum is lighter, but may require maintainence. I see chromed , over what is not discussed, is there any steering wheels with SS rim and center?
Old 10-31-2020, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

For the horn challenge, what about a separate horn button on the dash panel?
COB6058 (ie English Cobra) uses a button on the dash, which is what I'm doing as well. Makes it a lot easier than attempting to make it work on the steering wheel.

Here's COB6058...note the button on the right side of the steering wheel....

(I have details of the button, if interested - it's the one I'm using on my car)

Cheers,
Glen
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2020, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My replica is an old replica. I can't get in and out as well as I once did. I figured that a removable steering wheel is a solution. My cars builder used a 62-76 Triumph steering wheel and column. The column has the turn signal and head lamp dimmer switches built in to the column. The Triumph steering wheel started as a flat 14 1/2" , three chromed spoked . The three spokes land on the black plastic splined hub forming an almost even seven bolt pattern. I have decided to buy an IDIDIT Quick Release Steering Hub, replacing my Triumph hub and steering wheel. IDIDIT offers a six bolt pattern. QRSH and that is my direction. The steering wheel I have chosen is a 15" OD riveted wood flat 9 bolt steering wheel from Flash Power. The three spokes are polished aluminum with slots. I also bought their polished 1/2" thick converter to bolt the 9 bolt steering wheel to a 5 or 6 bolt pattern for my QRSH, and their horn button kit. Their flat 15 "OD steering wheel has 18 rivets and grip notches on the back side. I bought their 9 bolt horn button kit and it fit great. I managed to adapt a Scott Drake Cobra 1 3/8" OD emblem to the steering wheel horn button center. It looks great and I think it will be admired and should make getting in and out better.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did buy a 15" flat nine bolt riveted wooden steering wheel from "Flash Power", along with their horn kit and their 1/2" thick adapter from to go form 9 to 6 bolt (70mm- MOMO, etc.) The "Flash Power" steering wheel has 18 rivets. I have bought and installed a Scott Drake 1 3/8" OD Cobra emblem to the horn button center. I expect to commit to the "IDIDIT" Quick Release Steering Hub soon. Hopefully, they will have a horn connection crafted by then. I'm working on other points and will then begin taking the existing steering wheel an splined hub off and determine the exact IDIDIT hub assembly to purchase. Ultimately I want the splined quick release and to have the horn button on the steering wheel to work as normal. What I have so far looks great. The electric connection through the QR HUB is the question at this point. I have contacted IDIDIT and was told they expect to have that worked out by the first of the year.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 12-29-2020 at 04:26 PM..
Old 02-17-2021, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now I have the Flash Power 15" flat 9 bolt steering wheel, their 9 to 6 bolt adapter, and their big horn button. I now want the IDIDIT 6 bolt Quick Release Steering Hub.. I haven't jumped yet , I'm waiting for IDIDIT to come through with a working horn solution. Last summer IDIDIT said the first of the year now they are saying this summer. I just read that a couple of years ago they merged with NRG tech, That may be why they are dragging their feet. In 2019 SEMA they showed their QRSH with a horn connection in a GM upper. The nearest IDIDIT dealer is Speed Factory Racing just a few blocks away from me. They do not show or mention IDIDIT or any of their products. Speed Factory builds and modify Hondas.
Does any body know some body that has knowledge of IDIDIT QRSH and or horn modifications. They have a catalogue but what will work? I started this as a DIY but want a conclusion and would be willing to farm this out. I do not want to be ordering stuff and then more stuff and mote stuff. I'm handy and have some resources but I'm guessing what I want is going to be store bought.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 02-17-2021 at 09:22 PM..
Old 02-27-2021, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I bought the Flash Power flat 9 bolt 15" wooden steering wheel with 18 rivets. Their 9 to 6 bolt 11/2" thick adapter and their horn button kit. It kind of stalled there. The Covid has slowed or stopped everything. The IDIDIT dealers have gone out of bussiness or closed for now. The closest is a number no longer in operation and the next is only available on Instagram. Everything at IDIDIT comes down to staffing. Their 2019 announcement at 2019 SEMA of a GM quick release steering hub WAS A ONE OFF Conversion for a horn connection. Summit Racing says they only have four of the (no horn) GM 6 bolt QRSH left in stock. So I have my old steering wheel removed to take pictures and have some ideas but will need center hub adapter blanks to have the rest of a conversion. machined. So I'm done until Covid is over.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 02-27-2021 at 09:46 PM..