LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2021, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX2345 View Post
Is it possible to equip an ERA 289 Street with the outboard brakes and have the exhaust exit ahead of the rear wheels?

Cheers
Sorry, no. In order for the hub carrier to fit, I'd have to make some major changes.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA 626 View Post
Yes I completed the DMV. It was easy PM me there are DMV trolls here.
PM sent
Old 08-26-2021, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX2345 View Post
NKB, if you are located in the Bay area, send me a PM and we can meet up with my ERA 289 FIA. It's not a 289 Street but you'll get a sense of what all this ERA praise is about.

Cheers
PM sent
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
PM sent
In in the east bay I can meet you guys and show you my CSX...
Old 08-26-2021, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

Quote:
PM sent
i did not get your PM... call me 650-222-5838 (text first so I know its you...
Old 08-26-2021, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

nkb

Welcome to Club Cobra.

I have been following this thread and you are certainly doing your homework and have a very good sense of what you are looking for in a Cobra. Lots of good advice, suggestions and options here. Kirkham, Shelby Continuation, Superformance, ERA and many other companies offer a great many choices at different price points. They all have their strengths & weaknesses and people tend to recommend what they own or have experience with. Keep in mind, that no matter the make or who builds the Cobra, these cars do require work from time to time and things will come up that need to be addressed or improved upon.

Like several folks here, I too can recommend ERA, they make an excellent Cobra and their customer service is first rate. One reason I went with ERA is their ability to make modifications (within reason) to customize the Cobra to better fit the customer’s needs. I went with the FIA body but with no hood scoop, oil cooler scoop or trunk bumps, but with a grille. The car also has a few modifications to accommodate my height and has two different roll bar configurations, details are in my build log.

ERA 2136 Build Log

Many people don’t need or want modifications like these, but for those that do, ERA is great to work with.

That said, this type of customization takes time and ERA is busy, but well worth the wait. My experience 10 plus years ago with SB-100 was fairly straightforward, but good job in seeking current information as things can change.

If you would like to look at another ERA, I am in the SF Bay Area as well and would be happy to show you my Cobra, just send me a PM.

Good luck with your project.

tkb289
Buzz likes this.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
nkb

Welcome to Club Cobra.

I have been following this thread and you are certainly doing your homework and have a very good sense of what you are looking for in a Cobra. Lots of good advice, suggestions and options here. Kirkham, Shelby Continuation, Superformance, ERA and many other companies offer a great many choices at different price points. They all have their strengths & weaknesses and people tend to recommend what they own or have experience with. Keep in mind, that no matter the make or who builds the Cobra, these cars do require work from time to time and things will come up that need to be addressed or improved upon.

Like several folks here, I too can recommend ERA, they make an excellent Cobra and their customer service is first rate. One reason I went with ERA is their ability to make modifications (within reason) to customize the Cobra to better fit the customer’s needs. I went with the FIA body but with no hood scoop, oil cooler scoop or trunk bumps, but with a grille. The car also has a few modifications to accommodate my height and has two different roll bar configurations, details are in my build log.

ERA 2136 Build Log

Many people don’t need or want modifications like these, but for those that do, ERA is great to work with.

That said, this type of customization takes time and ERA is busy, but well worth the wait. My experience 10 plus years ago with SB-100 was fairly straightforward, but good job in seeking current information as things can change.

If you would like to look at another ERA, I am in the SF Bay Area as well and would be happy to show you my Cobra, just send me a PM.

Good luck with your project.

tkb289
Tim,
I read through your build thread with much interest. What is clear is that ERA can readily accommodate various mods as per the customer needs.

I was intrigued by your creation of an FIA "street" version. The ERA website refers to such a version as historically in existence. The reference on the ERA website is to "a British street 289 officially manufactured by AC, as opposed to Shelby. It retained the flares and doors of the 289FIA." Also, the website references an illustration in "the Rinsey Mills book" (which one I don't know).

I would be very interested if you or others could shed light on such an original 289FIA street car having been produced. I couldn't find anything (yet) on the web. What I found were AC 289 Sports models, but these don't have an FIA body/doors.

I note that it took you about three years from order to "completion" for your car. As you say, the journey is part of the fun. I am familiar with this after a 5 year restoration of my (original owner) '69 Lotus - to get it exactly to where I wanted it. As you further note, the process never really ends as there is always something to fiddle with.

Your build log was highly informative and helpful. Thank you.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another differentiator between the SPF and the ERA is the ability to control the painting process. In that vein, SPF states that it provides a "show quality" paint job. With the ERA one would be able to specify whatever level of quality (and money) you wanted to achieve.

Clearly, the best way for me to judge this is to see a "new" superformance which I have not yet experienced. Also, this assumes that there is consistent quality from the factory (seen one seen them all).

Knowing first hand what goes into the prep and painting of a fiberglass car, I wonder if the SPF factory finish is truly "show quality" or just "good". Show quality means different things to different people, but true show quality is not usually easy, or inexpensive, to achieve. Especially in fiberglass.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have never had anything but significant praise for the quality of the paint job on my SPF. Even after 5 years of racing abuse, the paint still gleams (where it has not been chipped by rocks, nuts, bolts and whatever else comes flying at it on the race track). The color you choose will come into play regarding how well it shines. Some colors are naturally more brilliant than others. Irrespective of the gleam, the body is smooth as glass, you can find no seams, and there are no blemishes in the paint.

But seeing is believing, so take your time and continue your research. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Another differentiator between the SPF and the ERA is the ability to control the painting process.
You do know that if you change your mind before ERA starts the actual build process Peter just gives you your check back. I did the entire build process, from start to finish, on nothing more than a hand shake... and there was never even a single blip along the way. Even if you end up going with SPF, which I doubt you will, you should reserve your queue spot now with ERA.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
I have never had anything but significant praise for the quality of the paint job on my SPF. Even after 5 years of racing abuse, the paint still gleams (where it has not been chipped by rocks, nuts, bolts and whatever else comes flying at it on the race track). The color you choose will come into play regarding how well it shines. Some colors are naturally more brilliant than others. Irrespective of the gleam, the body is smooth as glass, you can find no seams, and there are no blemishes in the paint.

But seeing is believing, so take your time and continue your research. Good luck.
I'll add praise to the Shelby CSX paint job too. My car was a carbon fiber HST-built car. The paint won't look good unless the base is perfect, and in my case, both were. The British Racing Green paint had a depth I've never seen before or since.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

As a Dude sitting down here in Texas, I’d go ERA all day every day, made in USA trumps South Africa . Something about seeing your Cobra cracked out of the mold and built from scratch to your specs is pretty cool. Your money, your decision, they both build a damn nice Cobra.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 08-27-2021 at 07:55 PM..
Old 08-28-2021, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Yup, I'd go ERA all day every day too, but then again I am a little biased having owned my ERA 427 since 2003. My ERA has been flawless since day one.

ERA has a well-earned reputation in the market for a reason. They make a fantastic product and their customer service is second to none.

I haven't seen the SPF sladside in person, but I am sure it is nice. But I guess my question is this:

Since it is a replica, is the original buggy style suspension of the SPF really a selling point?

IMO, I'd rather have a well built, well engineered car that visually looks like the real thing but with the best possible suspension under it The ERA will be a better driving and handling car because it doesn't have a buggy style suspension.

At the end of the day, no one is going to look at your replica slabside and say "Gee, that's a beautiful, well built car that handles and drives great, but too bad it doesn't have the buggy suspension on it."

But some people are OCD when it comes to originality of their replicas (and we shall not mention their names here). I guess the question for the OP is this: Is having a car with an original style suspension more important than having a car with better suspension and handling? If the answer is yes, then the ERA is not the car for you.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 08-28-2021, 10:06 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFdriver View Post
Something about seeing your Cobra cracked out of the mold and built from scratch to your specs is pretty cool.
My ERA-732 right out of the delivery room and still wet behind the ears. Kinda looks like a Bugeye Sprite.

sgianino likes this.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Since we’re showing baby pictures, here’s my UCC Cobra fresh out of the mold in Texas!
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2021, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin View Post
Yup, I'd go ERA all day every day too, but then again I am a little biased having owned my ERA 427 since 2003. My ERA has been flawless since day one.

ERA has a well-earned reputation in the market for a reason. They make a fantastic product and their customer service is second to none.

I haven't seen the SPF sladside in person, but I am sure it is nice. But I guess my question is this:

Since it is a replica, is the original buggy style suspension of the SPF really a selling point?

IMO, I'd rather have a well built, well engineered car that visually looks like the real thing but with the best possible suspension under it The ERA will be a better driving and handling car because it doesn't have a buggy style suspension.

At the end of the day, no one is going to look at your replica slabside and say "Gee, that's a beautiful, well built car that handles and drives great, but too bad it doesn't have the buggy suspension on it."

But some people are OCD when it comes to originality of their replicas (and we shall not mention their names here). I guess the question for the OP is this: Is having a car with an original style suspension more important than having a car with better suspension and handling? If the answer is yes, then the ERA is not the car for you.
I have already crossed this "originality" bridge before when restoring (restomodding) my Lotus. I took a "time-capsule" original car (original owner of 52 years) and upgraded the car throughout including suspension, engine, transmission, etc. Many would howl at this in that I did not heed the mantra: "the car is only original once". But, my goal was to make the car that much more enjoyable, better looking, and with enhanced performance. But, still true to the original.

The difference I suppose with my Lotus and the discussion here on building Cobra replicas is that most everything I did was done with a period correct modification (usually borrowed from the racing Lotus 26R). So, no third party parts (except for what Lotus originally borrowed from). Except for the upgraded "racing" parts, the car is largely still original (body, no flares, original interior, ...). So, the car while not original, as delivered to me at the factory, it is still "correct".

In any event, I take your point about having a more modern and better performing suspension with ERA. I can see a possible advantage to the ERA in this respect. However, this fact alone is probably not a deal breaker either way at the moment in my thinking between SPF and ERA.

What is coming to the forefront, after reading through the extensive ERA manual, is the attention to detail and level of support provided by ERA. When I embarked on my research into building a Cobra one of my objectives was to have a "project" as a follow-on to the extensive restoration and recent "completion" of the Lotus. I like the idea of being able to build the ERA and be familiar with its construction just as I have done with the Lotus. The ERA seems to “feed” my hobby in more depth than the turnkey-minus SPF might. A lot of potential owners probably just want to get their car and drive it. While I also look forward to the driving, it is the process that is also very important.

On the Lotus I know the car intimately, throughout. Not only useful for maintaining and repairing the car on my own but also providing a great sense of satisfaction that the car has been rebuilt by me.

I have an near-term rendezvous with a local ERA FIA owner that will further inform my looming decision.
Chaplin and tkb289 like this.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

nkb:

I can't speak for you - this decision is yours and it appears you're weighing the various choices to make the decisions that are right for you. Best wishes for that process as well as the car you'll eventually receive. I suspect either will be quite enjoyable.

Regardless, I'll provide my thoughts if I were facing the same decision, even if it runs the risk of enraging fans of either (or both) marque.

I've heard nothing but praise for ERA, but Superformance has its supporters as well. Both manufacturers have made changes over time but it appears to me that Superformance remains more committed to retaining the original lineage and legacy, perhaps due to their licensing agreement with Shelby as much as anything else. ERA appears to be more inclined to maintain the visual originality while evolving more when it comes to updating and improving key elements like suspension.

Certainly the original Mark 1 and Mark II (rack and pinion steering) Cobras used the leaf spring 'buggy' suspension and there are many who appreciate cars that replicate the original design - warts and all. Mark III (or Mark II according to some) cars not only changed the body and chassis design, but also the suspension. There were reasons for that and, like many other aspects of evolution, I appreciate the benefits that offered.

The net of this rambling is that I'd go with the ERA if it were me. YMMV.
sgianino likes this.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
...even if it runs the risk of enraging fans of either (or both) marque.

The net of this rambling is that I'd go with the ERA if it were me. YMMV.
You have only enraged the SPF owners... and only a few of them.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 08-29-2021, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Patrick you had Conn Customs do your car by the looks of the building outside?
Hey Patrick can you work your computer magic skills and post a photo of my car in Primer from my gallery? Every time i try to attach a pic i blow something up
Thanks

Last edited by sgianino; 08-29-2021 at 02:01 PM..
Old 08-29-2021, 02:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post

Patrick you had Conn Customs do your car by the looks of the building outside?
Yes. Walt & company did an absolutely perfect job for me. Now, that was fifteen years ago so some of the faces have changed and I think I heard that the son was now running it, but I really couldn't have asked for more.

One funny anecdote from when I first contacted Walt and told him that I wanted my car painted beige. He said, "jeez Pat, are you sure about that? Why don't you think it over some more." I then told him that the paint name had beige in it but it really wasn't a beige color. In the end he agreed that the color was one of the nicest that had ever come out of his shop.
sgianino likes this.