Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2021, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Haa! I remember back then meeting Walt Senior and the son...I think Junior was spraying back then but i could be wrong.I think my car was done around 2005 and has held up well...If i was to do it again i would eliminate the Heating system being i never have used it and maybe would of considered a Borla EFI webber look instead of Carb...
Old 08-29-2021, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

All things considered, pretty much everything you can see without going under the car looks the same on a ERA and SPF. I would take the much stiffer ERA frame and much better suspension every time, a far superior driving experience. Just my opinion.
sgianino and cycleguy55 like this.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:36 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TNCRZY View Post
All things considered, pretty much everything you can see without going under the car looks the same on a ERA and SPF.

Uhhh, windshield wipers parking on the wrong side, radiator slant looks funky, pedals aren't coming up from the floor and more.... But you didn't hear that from me.
sgianino likes this.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 8000/Kirkham, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, windshield wipers parking on the wrong side, radiator slant looks funky, pedals aren't coming up from the floor and more.... But you didn't hear that from me.
Can you clarify your comment on the pedals? Looks to me that both the SPF and ERA slabsides have the clutch and brake hinged from the floor. Not sure about the gas pedal. Just looking at pictures.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Both the SPF and ERA 298 cars have the clutch and brake hinged at the floor. I cannot speak for the ERA 289 from first hand knowledge, but the SPF 289's have the Gas pedal hinged at the top like the originals.

People sometimes get mixed up between the SPF cars and think that they are all alike frame and suspension wise like the ERA cars. The 427 cars are similar to the ERA with a box frame and the 289 cars have the 3" tubular frame.

What ever decision you make, will be the right one for you. Both are very good cars. Good luck.

Jim

Last edited by 1795; 08-30-2021 at 04:52 AM..
Old 08-30-2021, 04:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
Can you clarify your comment on the pedals? Looks to me that both the SPF and ERA slabsides have the clutch and brake hinged from the floor. Not sure about the gas pedal. Just looking at pictures.
No, I was speaking generically about 427 cars.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I still don't understand how a topic that is titled "Kirkham vs Shelby" transformed in to SPF vs ERA
sd427 likes this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 08-30-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Old 08-30-2021, 10:18 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
I still don't understand how a topic that is titled "Kirkham vs Shelby" transformed I to SPF vs ERA
It seems Kirkham was much much more expensive than originally thought. He wants a 289 slabside. The SPF slabside is extremely similiar (if not identical) to the Shelby version, so why not consider it. Even in the first post he mentioned considering the ERA slabside. So this seems like a perfectly normal progression to me.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, I was speaking generically about 427 cars.
What's your point? The OP opened up this thread about a small block genre.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:30 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
What's your point? The OP opened up this thread about a small block genre.
Yes, but my reply was to 6TNCRZY's post which was commenting on ERA's and SPF's similarity generally and not distinguishing between big block or small block.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF832, 466cid
Not Ranked     

Well the OP needed clarification of your off track comments. Did you help his cause or your posting count?
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NROTOXIN View Post
Did you help his cause or your posting count?
How could I do one without doing the other?
Old 08-30-2021, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 8000/Kirkham, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Yes, this topic has evolved from the title. Apologies. But, it was a progression as more information unfolded. Especially the unexpected high cost of the Kirkham (~$250K).

The continuing interest is in a small block Cobra. Primarily a Slabside or perhaps an FIA.

I suppose I can stop writing to this thread because of the now potentially misleading title and create something new as needed.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:21 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkb View Post
I suppose I can stop writing to this thread because of the now potentially misleading title and create something new as needed.
That, or just announce that you've decided on an ERA. The latter will provide additional fodder for irritating NROTOXIN.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The down side of shifting the discussion is that it had just as well been posted in Alpha Centauri. (Only old people will get the reference.)

Some searches may discover it, but there is lots of good information on both paths here, but only the Kirkham/Shelby info will bubble to the top in a year or two. So then we can come back and have a brand new topic about the merits of SPF vs ERA. But that's OK, this forum thrives on lather, rinse, repeat.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

It's unfortunate that threads can't be re-titled. Perhaps "Small Block Cobra Comparison / Recommendations"
Old 08-30-2021, 12:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Perhaps "Small Block Cobra Comparison / Recommendations"
... or instead, "Why I'm Right and the Rest of the World is Wrong."
sgianino likes this.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... or instead, "Why I'm Right and the Rest of the World is Wrong."
But then that would be the title of every topic.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

While researching the small block ERA cars, and backdating one to 260 specs, I stumbled on a English company Hawk Cars. They make kits of the small block Cobras, plus the 2.6 Ace, which is the car that became the Cobra , plus the Barchetta 166M Ferrari Mustache AC Ace cars. Like the ERA, they all have coil over suspension. I then discovered a sight where an enthusiast is building an Ace, and going over board trying to make it perfect. Below is an article on adding dummy leaf springs, which might also be used on the ERA, so when you pop the bonnet, you will see the correct springs! Oh, and don't forget to wrap your leaf springs with Drevo tape, like the original cars. https://aceac.weebly.com/dummy-leaf-spring.html https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...evo-denso-tape
ALF likes this.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
It seems Kirkham was much much more expensive than originally thought. He wants a 289 slabside. The SPF slabside is extremely similiar (if not identical) to the Shelby version, so why not consider it. Even in the first post he mentioned considering the ERA slabside. So this seems like a perfectly normal progression to me.
it is not,

Kirkham vs Shelby is about original specs of chassis and body and about the question if the csx tag and the fact that the car turns into a genuine “ Shelby Cobra” is worth some ten thousand bucks

SPF vs ERA is about which lookalike is better

complete other discussion