21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2022, 07:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
One photo is out of focus so it's hard to tell.
Wait a minute... if you sharpen that photo up with PS, you start to see some faces hidden in the pic. Here, see?

Old 04-19-2022, 08:07 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

After sharpening the picture, I see Patrickt as the 'Walrus', Buzz as the 'Sea Lion' and is that Dan Gurney as the 'Eagle'
hauss likes this.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That's why you always tried it out on your friend's record player, not your own. Same thing with hi-revving neutral drops on light duty transmissions. You always tested that bright idea out on your friend's car, not your own.
My older brother used my father"s station wagon. After that we all got our own cars I thought that was a good trick at the time. Now I see farm kids at tractor shows pulling unbelievable amounts of weight in their fathers 100,000 stock trucks,also will race them through mud bogs totally beating the hell out of them. wounder what"s going to happen to those boys when they get home.
Old 04-23-2022, 12:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

FYI - this pic was posted to the thread on Nextdoor. Still no clue who was owner/driver - regardless, it does not look good...

Old 04-23-2022, 02:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
FYI - this pic was posted to the thread on Nextdoor. Still no clue who was owner/driver - regardless, it does not look good...

Looks like the rollbar folded towards the driver, a sad day for all.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 04-23-2022, 04:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

There is one thing cleared up, when I asked the Police records lady about an accident on ElCamino Real + Bevme. Looks like the Plaza name is Bevmo, not a cross street named Bevme. Yes Bill, the roll bar folding forward how unusual, you would think it would have folded backwards. Forward momentum?
Old 04-23-2022, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa02 View Post
Yes Bill, the roll bar folding forward how unusual, you would think it would have folded backwards. Forward momentum?
Car probably went airborne and landed trunk end first then folded roll bar in direction of contact.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #870 Salsa Red w/White stripes Roushcharged 4.6L 3V
Not Ranked     

This was also posted on nextdoor. My understanding is that the Cobra hit this car leaving Bevmo after it sheered the hydrant.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2022, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes Bill, the roll bar folding forward how unusual, you would think it would have folded backwards. Forward momentum?
With the triangulation, the backwards brace is pretty strong in compression. Yet, if the bolt used to connect the two roll bar pieces was low grade, it could easily shear, letting the pieces pull apart and the hoop bend forward...

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 04-24-2022, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

That fire plug obviously jumped out of the ground and assaulted the SUV. The Cobra is gong to need to be extensively detailed before it goes out again.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-24-2022, 02:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

At least this gentleman left this world doing something that brought him great pleasure. I can think of worse ways to go. (Lying in a nursing home bed) Years ago we loss a fellow FF racer, he was kinda the leader of us FF guys (He had a fast Ford) First lap @ Westwood (Canadian track) he was leading the pack down the back straightaway in the rain, and as we came to 'Deers Leap' there was a deer in middle of the track, by the time his Formula Ford rolled to a stop, we had lost Steve. At the services Steve's wife told us don't feel bad for Steve, he was doing something he loved. That stuck with us to this day. Every time we got in our Fords after that Steve rode with us. Cheers Gentlemen
Buzz, MaSnaka and eschaider like this.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Deer's leap

I got both wheels in the air going over deer's leap with my motorcycle then it's hard on the brakes for the corner.:MECOOL
Perry.
Alfa02 likes this.
dual 2" roll bars, warmed up 302, E Street aluminum Heads, Comp cam and roller rockers, AOD, 4.10 Eaton Possi, Power Baer/disc brakes, block hugger headers, 2 1/2" under car exhaust, F500 18" black spoke wheels.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 manowar forged crank roller rockers . BIG CAM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
I got both wheels in the air going over deer's leap with my motorcycle then it's hard on the brakes for the corner.:MECOOL
Perry.
I had a Yamaha v max that had the most insane power band. I thought I was going to do a burnout but the tire was warm and sticky. I hit the rear fender ,said a quick prayer and God saved me. All I could see was the blue sky. It was on that day I learned throttle control . That"s why I am able to not wreak my cobra, it is all about throttle control.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I managed to scratch up some "unscratchable" flooring by pushing one of my kids around in a Big Wheel and sliding it sideways at a high rate of speed.
hauss likes this.
Old 04-25-2022, 11:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Perry, I keep forgetting other people here, know 'Mountainhigh racing' I loved Westwood, my first SCCA senior race (Licensing) I felt like a Pro No more yellow tape on my roll bar I remember mid-60's a V-8 Elva or Genie V-8 going upside down at deer's leap. I took my 'New' Girlfriend to watch me race my FF there, I got her out on track (Turn worker) coming out of the hairpin and up the hill, and would go down and flag with her, at the edge of the track between my races WELL my buddy (Brad) thought it would be fun, to toss his RX-3 (IMSA car) sideways coming out of the hairpin, so he was pointed right at us Since I was looking up the hill and her down the hill, she would grab me to pull me out of harm's way, I finally told Brad to knock it off my right arm had bruises Good Times!!!! Cheers Tom.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
At least this gentleman left this world doing something that brought him great pleasure.
I once read a racer that said "If I die on track, don't let anyone say I died doing something I loved because I would have been crashing and I f'n hate crashing."

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 04-30-2022, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
and as we came to 'Deers Leap'...
You may recall that is where 2459 met its demise with Jim Bargelt behind the wheel, Tom.
Alfa02 likes this.

Paul

1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 05-01-2022, 04:37 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Paul, do you have more details on Jim's accident in 2459, I'm drawing a blank?? But then most everything now-a-days take a lot more thought to remember Cheers Tom.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:22 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Paul, do you have more details on Jim's accident in 2459, I'm drawing a blank??
Maybe somebody was being mean to him and calling him names. That caused him to take his eye off the road.
Old 05-03-2022, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy Well, Tom...

my understanding, from talking to his son Jamie, is that he went airborne over the leap, lost control, went end-over-end, and balled it up pretty good. He broke is collar bone and got bruised up, but was alright, otherwise. I actually have a couple of pieces of that car... of course, it is not as much as Bill has of it!
Alfa02 likes this.

Paul

1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear

Last edited by PDUB; 05-04-2022 at 10:15 PM..