Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up The way I see it !

I hope this comes out the way it's meant to.
I'm probably one of the oldest participants on this board. I have gone to 20 NSRA nationals with my 34 Vicky and countless other events. Super Chevy, Street Machine Nationals. SAAC, and 5 Run & Guns. None of these events , and I mean none , gave me the enjoyment per dollar as the DVSF III. I truley can't say that the others were as much fun as this was. Run and Gun is a close second only because the Fling has a charity added bonus that I like. It helps kids and that makes me feel good. The Run & Gun event is probably the best venue you'll ever find for good safe "get it on" fun. Wayne Turpin and his associates do a fantastic job it that way.
Now ED Combs has turned a little picnic into a wonderful fun charity event where we get to meet and visit friends we don't see everyday. I met new friends and saw many of the guys I know through this board. What all this is about is exactly what several members have stated, it's about the people. Now keep this thought and you will come away with a better perspective about what it's all about. The formula Ed as used is working and he will improve it with proper critique. Knocking things does not help. Offer good honest input and this event will become a thing of beauty for CF and the Cobra family. The exibhitions with our cars is not intended to be any thing like a compitition. It's an oppurtunity to share fun and exitment that we have for these little mighty mites. The smile on those faces that rode in these cars are priceless. All they can say is WOW!!
Ed, if you change the venue other than to improve on what you already have then you will be allowing the negetive input to effect a great event. I have been to every one of the Flings and I will continue to only because you have made a supreme effort to make this a worth while event for all. Your family and friends have also gone way beyond the call to make a great event better.
I do read most of these post and I must say that some are very disappointing in that they are ragging on something that could be brought to light in a more diplomatic way. The worst thing is how Ed and his family may take these comments. I don't want these few to effect the majority. All I can say at this point is BRAVO! to all that had a hand in what I consider to be the best. I'll be there next year and the year after that. The 4,000 mile round trip is a piece a cake for the fun and enjoyment I get.

Hersh
Old 06-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Well said buddy. Those of us who have promoted ideas in the past (I pushed hard for the autoX that I think was fun for folks this year) did so in the spirit of evolution, not revolution--and continue to do so.

I'm damn tired of the b!tchin and moaning that folks just seem too eager to engage in as soon as the Fling ends.

Last edited by Jamo; 06-27-2003 at 07:23 PM..
Old 06-27-2003, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Another voice with a sane perspective on things....To bad you're in the minority....
Old 06-27-2003, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Great post, Hersh! Nice post without all the negative crapola that seems to be floating around. I hope to meet you at the Fling next year.

Jim
Old 06-27-2003, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

What makes you think you will get your car done by then.

You better plan on an earlier event and meet some of us who have been looking for you...

TURK
We are thinking Gasholes Do New Orleans!!
Old 06-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Assolutely...with Flyin_Fredrick in charge of beads!
Old 06-28-2003, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Turk, when my car is done I will have the good sense not to swap it for a Volkswagon and a Cobra to be named later(next time I need a bowtie I am coming to your store).

Jamo, does Flyin' Fred pull 'em out fast or slow?

I've heard rumors of the LA thing, will it be a Cobraless gathering of the thundering herd, or wilst the cars be shipped to the Quarter? See ya'll in New O-leanz.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

We'll need a local translator. None of the Gasholes (except David) speak Southern.

We won't even be able to order food.
Southhernfried, how's your drawl?

TURK
Old 06-28-2003, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Yet another thread Hijacked by the Gasholes....
CURSES!!!!

Hersh
Old 06-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was there and had a great time.....
I agree with Hersh 100% on what he said.Keep it the same and mybe add a little if you like.

THANKS D.V.

Eric
For those who dont like it ,dont GO!
Old 06-28-2003, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Cobra SC, 514CID
Not Ranked     

Ahaaa…. Love it!! Great note Hersh!!

And I do not believe this is a minority view. The majority just does not engage as the bashers seem to.

I’d like to add some input from the other side. Input from those you will likely never hear from on CC.

In all, I probably gave a dozen rides during the fling. Without exception, the riders could not thank us enough. I almost felt guilty because I was having such a blast and they were thanking us?

One memorable ride at the airport.

A little boy, about 4 or 5 and very timid. He wanted to ride in the worst way, but very apprehensive. His mother asked if it would be OK if her son rode on her lap. Absolutely! This was for CF and contributors were in charge! This was a two ticket ride! With the help Flyin Freddie, working the loading area, Freddie helped the lady enter the car and then lowered the youngster on her lap, hyping the ride all the time. Who wouldn’t be excited with Freddie hyping things up?? We explained that you couldn’t go racing without a seat belt so we buckled the belt around both of them.

Now ready to go, I asked the little boy what he wanted. Drag race or Slalom? “Drag” without hesitation. We approached the start line. I asked if he was ready and he shook his head. You could tell he was still not totally convinced that he was making the right decision. Off we went!! This was not a tire smoking, 90mph ride. It was a fast start, but never braking traction and winding high enough in 1st and 2nd to make lots of noise.

We got to the end and the face on this youngster was priceless. A grin that a surgeon would have trouble removing. He said he was going home to tell his brother HE went drag racing in a Cobra! His mother explained that his 15 year old brother did not come out to the airport because it was going to be boring. LOL

Again, another rider (two in this case) who just couldn’t say thanks enough! This is what I remember most about the fling. The people. Everyone was just so great.

I know some would really like to lock things down with “rules”, but remember why we are doing this. Given tons of rules rather than discretion and this ride never could have happened.

Craig
Old 06-28-2003, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

This was my 1st fling and all I can say is WOW! I had a great time. I had fun putting faces to the names from CC. It's funny how you picture people from their voice and then they turn out to look completely different. I had so many of your wives tell me how much more handsome I was than they had pictured. DV and Diane, Jay, JR., and the rest of the crew did a great job. I really look forward to next year!
Don
Old 06-28-2003, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

craigayl

I love that story about the little kid. THATS what my Cobra is to me. Sharing it with other people. It's such a SPECIAL car, unlike ANYTHING else, we have an OBLIGATION to share it with people. And I do so proudly. Nothing makes my day like letting a little kid sit in it at a car show while all the other cars have "signs" like "Don't Touch" on them! Sometimes people can't believe I'm "serious" when I ask them, "You want to sit in it and take a picture?" To give them a RIDE? Whoa, EXCELLENT, I want to do that!

I feel like a "keeper of the legend", a piece of history, it's not MY car, it's bigger than life. It is a DUTY to share it with others.

Man I am SO bummed I missed the Fling!

Ernie
Old 06-28-2003, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Now, getting back to Mardi Gras...

Hersh...you KNOW you want to go!
Old 06-28-2003, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I kept yelling...."I got beads" at crosscountry, but noone was willing....
Old 06-28-2003, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking WELL SAID, HIRSH - - - - -

HEY HIRSH - - - -

GOOD JOB, AMIGO.

THIS WAS MY THIRD "FLING" AND THEY JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER AND BETTER. MY SIDES STILL HURT FROM LAUGHING. (MY HEAD STILL HURTS TOO - BUT THAT'S NOT FUNNY).

I KNOW DARN WELL THE CAPITAL AREA COBRA GANG(STERS) HAD ONE HELL OF A GOOD TIME - - - AND THAT'S UNANIMOUS. AND WE HAD ABOUT THIRTY PEOPLE THERE. IT SURE SEEMED LIKE THE GASHOLES WERE DOING IT RIGHT ALSO. (THANKS AGAIN FOR THE SIGN, GUYS. MY DECORATOR IS APALLED BUT SCREW HIM - IT'S MY HOUSE AND MY TREASURED SIGN).

IT REALLY SEEMED LIKE BOTH GROUPS WERE TRYING TO "OUT-CRAZY" THE OTHER. BOTH GROUPS BEING RESTRAINED ONLY BY THE CALM GUIDING HAND OF THE REVEREND JAY NORDSTROM.

ANYBODY WHO DIDN'T HAVE A REALLY GREAT TIME SIMPLY WASN'T DOING IT RIGHT.

FOR THOSE WHO DID NOT ENJOY IT - - - HANG OUT WITH US NEXT YEAR.

FOR THOSE CHRONIC B1TCHERS WHO CAN'T WAIT TO FIND FAULT WITH EVERYTHING - - - - I CAN ONLY QUOTE MY DEAR SWEET OLD GRANDMOTHER. "IF THEY GOT NO SENSE OF HUMOR - - F^*K E'M".

DV AND THE STAFF ARE TO BE CONGRATULATED, ONCE AGAIN, ON PROVIDING A FANTASTIC WEEKEND OF FUN, CARS, FRIENDSHIP AND GENERAL HYSTERIA.

I JUST CAN'T IMAGINE IT GETTING ANY BETTER - - BUT HECK - - THAT'S WHAT I SAID LAST YEAR TOO.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

"FATHER" BLACKJACK

(THAT' RIGHT - - I WAS ORDAINED BY BISHOP NORDSTROM AT THE FLING. - - - SOME TIME LATE SATURDAY NIGHT , I BELIEVE).
Old 06-28-2003, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Hersh,

You said it!

(just don't miss any puddles next time willya)

Jamo & the SCCA gang,

My first autoX. What a hoot! I'm hooked!

BLACKJACK,

What can I say? All part of a grand ride, indeed

Tom
Old 06-28-2003, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

You guys really crack me up ! Jamo, if you guys go to New Orleans and you drive those naked ladies then I will be there and you can count on it!.
BACKJACK, You got me laughin' so hard I still ain't right. Father Nordstom, He He !! You're one of a kind my friend.
Tom. I'm sorry about them puddles buddy, next time I'm gonna stay behind you so you can pay me back.
You DC and VA bunch are nothing short of a class act. I never recieved such hospitality. I mean all of you were the absolute best. I am so glad I got the oppurtunity to ride 427 miles with you. Stopping for that Bar-BQ was as good as it gets. Beth and Wade were the quintasintial hosts I am totally beholdin' to them for their kind hospitality. This fling thing tends to bring out the best.... That even includes GASHOLES....I think.....
I really enjoyed myself and I am ready for the next Fling. I know it will be bigger and more exciting than this last one. I still think Ed goes way over the top for all of us. To organize something of this calibur is hard work and time consuming. Ed, if you need any thing from me just ask. If I can do it it will be done. I wish I had your patience. Thjere just isn't any events that even come close to this one. I truly feel it is a family thing.
I luv ya' all, see ya' neaxt year..

Hersh
Old 06-28-2003, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

We'll need a local translator. None of the Gasholes (except David) speak Southern.

We won't even be able to order food.
Southhernfried, how's your drawl?

TURK
Turk, that'd be a Cajun Drawl. I'll have to break out my Justin Wilson albums and get back to you.
Old 06-28-2003, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I use to take some of my girlfriends kids friends out to a area buisness park after hours (7:00 PM) for a ride in my Pro street 69 Mach 1 (650+ horsepower 427 "stroked" S.O. engine with 350 horsepower nitrous system). With a new black top parking lot, you could see the tread pattern from the huge Mickey Thompson tires. I would take each kid for a ride, revving the engine to 3,500 RPM and lighting the tires up for a 1/8 mile for them. The speedo would read 160+ mph, but the car was only doing 45 - 60 mph. The engine would sound so awesome and it would be a ride they never forgot. There was never anyone standing close to the edges of the parking lot or anything like that.

There are some "holy" bastards around here that if they had it there way, EVERYTHING would be bad, wrong, and dangerous. I have news from them, there is danger everywhere! These kids are safer than they are riding with their parents during rush hour. They are safer than they are riding with their friends. They are safer than they are when they go boating on the lake, or hunting, or skiing, or a trip to Europe, or Asia. Where does the paranoia stop?

These are really fast cars, that's why we bought them! If it is too fast for some, I suggest purchasing a MG and joining their clubs. While I wasn't at the event, lot's of events have things like this going on. Hell the local KCIR drag strip only has a 5 foot fence protecting the crowd watching the event, should we ban it also...

Last edited by BANDIT 1; 06-28-2003 at 09:58 PM..