26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

David: If you're leaning towards the SA CSX car then you better make a decision FAST. They are supposed to go up 2500 bucks November 1st (tomorrow!). "Deposit today, car by JUNE"? What happened to their turnaround?? I was told delivery by Feb just a few days ago! Some people are supposed to be getting their cars by the end of this year! They couldn't have sold THAT many cars already, to back them up THAT much.
I have to say, if you're considering going with a SB then you may want to check out SPF. A SB wouldn't look right in a CSX car (or ERA), but they are right at home in an SPF. Great handling car.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

I think the $2500.00 it will cost me to wait and make an informed decision is a wise investment. I was told 40 cars have been ordered so far. I imagine there were probably a few fence sitters that took the plunge today for the $2500.00 dollar savings (Marketing ploy) I am just not ready to blindly sign up for something I have not seen or touched in person let alone not even personally meeting with the guy I am sending my check to. I may also be better served by waiting until the first 50 cars hit the streets and get the bugs worked out of them. I also look at CSX700?'s problems and have to ask Where would my car go if a problem surfaced?? who pays for transport etc.?? and that goes for any of the top 3 manufacturers for that matter. I have to ask why do you think the 351 looks better in a spf, than ERA or SAI???
Old 10-31-2003, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

Well, looks are in the eye of the beholder, of course. But some engines do or don't go well in this or that replica. For instance, i think an ERA has to have a FE. FFR cars are often best with the 302 motors. SPF's are most commonly running around with Windsors, or 460 motors. Of course, i have seen SPF's with everything from 302's to Clevelands, to FE's, to even EFI Chevy motors, not to mention 460/514 ci motors. Have seen them with EFI, Stack EFI's, and even full Weber set-ups. But a motor that sells well in one Replica might not be so smart in another.

An ERA, CSX, KPM has to have a traditional 427 or 428 motor, or a look-alike 390.

SPF's and others, whatever your wallet can afford.

Personally, i feel a Windsor, stroked, is best in the SPF's, especialy if you have the money to have an alulminum block done right.

A sneaky attempt to hijack this thread to BB vs SB!!!

The right motor is a big part of the decision as to which replica might be best for a purchaser.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 10-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hal's right about what motor seems to "fit" which car. Weird isn't it? How did that happen? I guess it's just something you kind of figure out after being around the replicas for awhile.

Of course there are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. I JUST heard SAI has some kind of "package deal" for motor, trans and installation that is right at $10K? Sounds like a very good deal to me!

I wonder WHAT motor there using????? I'd be tempted to use a 351W myself, but I would always feel like somehow I "missed the boat". And no doubt re-sale WOULD be a problem down the road.

Ernie
Old 10-31-2003, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I would not put a SB in a CSX. C'mon David the whole point is the authenticity. If you are gonna do it, do it right. Then again, I like 'em all with BBs.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Big Block

I have to agree. CSX should come with Big Block. FE Big Block. Authenticity being the case. The 428 PI in my GT 500 runs real nice and pulls that car (which I believe is heavier than a CSX rather fine. I have to liken a small block in a 427 body to a GT 500Eleanor with a small block! it just does not make "Authentic" sense. of course to listen to the "Authenticity Police" we are all guilty unless the car was made in the 60's..........I gotta say I am enjoying this forum immensely and could not imagine not having it as a research tool in the pursuit of the proper choice. I know this much. after 1 week on here, I am more confused than ever...But that is a good thing! I know continued visits here will guide me to the right move. whatever that may be!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These guys all hit the nail on the head, concerning what I meant by a SB "looking" better in an SPF vs. a CSX. Small Block SPF's sell pretty well on the used market. I have yet to see a SB CSX car forsale, and the only time I saw a SB in a ERA was on CC and it DID'T sell (plus it was MUCH lower priced compared to BB ERA's). I think one of the main reasons why people go with ERA is because of it's "authentic" looks. They also want to build a "authentic" looking / performing engine to go with the chassis. I would think the reason for buying a CSX would be the same (along with the "name factor" of course). Going as far as buying a Shelby........and NOT putting an FE in it would be a waste (IMO).
SPF's are a little different. They feel right at home with a nice SB stroker, and it doesn't hurt the re-sale of the car (in fact a lot of people look for SB SPF's). Like Hal, I have seen just about every engine imaginable in a SPF, so they are by no means "SB only" cars. I have a buddy in Ohio with a 408 stroker; one with a 522 / 650HP BB stroker; one here in Illinois with a original 60's FE427SO (pentroof valve covers, Stellings & Hellings air cleaner / turkey pan, etc), and also one with a 392 crate engine. All these guys love their cars and they all handle like they are on rails (yes, even the 522 car!). Just food for thought!

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 11-08-2003 at 10:20 PM..
Old 11-01-2003, 06:53 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I think what you guys are kinda getting at, and I've said it before here, is that, unless someone wants to recreate the most authentic Cobra possible, in which case motor choice is obvious, the first question to ask might be, "Which motor do I want to use?" Shop around for motors and motor builders and, after you make that decision, then shop for a car. Looking "right" can be the biggest criterion for some owners, especially guys who don't drive their cars as much as some do. On the other hand, streetability, accessibility around the motor, initial cost and even fuel economy may be more important to someone who racks up the miles. I didn't want to pay collector prices and deal with other issues for a 427-428 and didn't want a 390, so that left me with 460 variant or Windsor. I narrowed that down to a Windsor motor of some sort, which helped me to decide which cars to concentrate on. Then I spent a long time talking with Eric Hinderberger at Performance Engineering and decided on a 418W in a SPF. This has turned out to be an ideal combination for me.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

David D

I'm not sure if Newtown Square is in Eastern PA, but if it is, you are not that far from ERA. Take a trip up and take the tour and on the way back you can make a short detour to HRE (Shelby dealer) in Long Island. HRE was supposed to have a SA Shelby by the end of Oct. I went up to take the ERA tour a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. I couldn't wait for HRE to get their car because the weather was still good enough to take a test ride in the ERA and I didn't want to miss the chance. Of course, you will owe us a detailed report of your comparison when you get back.

Dreamer
Old 11-02-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am just outside of Philadelphia. ERA is probably only 3 hours away. I am giving them serious thought all of a sudden. Of corse ANY encounters with ANY Cars will be brought to this table!!
Old 11-03-2003, 08:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Engine choice: What doesn't look right!

In reply to what engine looks better in a Cobra or Cobra replica:

First it seam that you all have forgotten about the CSX 7000.
You know they originally came with a small block Ford! I keep thinking down the road it would be COOL to have the CSX 7000 parked next to my CSX4000 (that will not get here until December, so they say). In addition, there is the FIA (race version with small block).

NOW HERE IS WHAT I THINK DOES NOT LOOK RIGHT IN A COBRA!

1. A CHEVY MOTOR, and anyone who put a Chevy in a Cobra replica is either going to keep the car forever or planning to take a big financial hit when he sells it!

2. Any wheel combination other than a Halibrand style pin drive wheel or wire wheels on the CSX 7000. These guys that install wheel on a Cobra replica that are better suited on a lowered Chevy pick up or Honda, Please someone call the fashion police.

3. Wood dashboards, come on, this is not a wagon or stagecoach.

4. A/C units, HELLO, Cobras do not have side windows!

5. Cobra's or replicas with any color interior other than black.

However, This is just my opinion and we live in America where everyone has freedom of choice no matter how bad it looks.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham or the Evil Empire. Do kids NEED college?
Not Ranked     

er some street 427 (428s actually) had "side curtains" (right Ron?)

and 289s had red as a interior color option.

other then that I agree with your post. Screw live and let live

pk
Old 11-03-2003, 09:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think it goes without saying that a small block IS the proper choice for a FIA style or "street" style early (289 cars) Cobra. I would feel right at home using a 351 in such an application.

Kirkham has turned out some "Hy breds" which are 289 style body with 427 suspension. In that case, I guess you could go either way!

Ernie
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.......Sorry to bring this TTT but, has anybody heard if they raised the price of the SA CSX cars to 42.5K this month (like they were advertising they would)? For those of you looking for one, I saw an ad in this months duPont Registry (Nov) from a place called: Cobra & Shelby Classic Cars Inc. Ad read: "Special" - One Only, 427 Cobra Painted Roller...... $39,900
Didn't give the CSX number. It's on page 205 if interested.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I talked to the Newport Bch Dealer and he said the price was extended through the month. Apparently, no dealer has received a car yet. This continued delay in getting cars to the public just to kick tires is making it less likely that I will continue to consider Shelby an option.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Hey Dreamer,why not stop dreaming and join your Bros in line at ERA?A modest(refundable)deposit secures your spot,the impeccable quality is well established,and friendly folks are always available to help in any way they can.Best of all,you will be in great company!
Old 11-09-2003, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 fia kmp#325
Not Ranked     

The Newport Beach website has pricing for what they call a component car @ something like $42.5K and the roller @ $53K. I wasn't aware there was a component car available, I thought there was only rollers and turn-keys. Huh...learned something new.

By the way, I went to SEMA and saw the Kirkham car in the Ford display and was able to talk with the Kirkhams. What nice and humble people!

The Ford GT didn't look too bad either...awesome!!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gary,

You must have missed a couple of my posts on this tread. I placed my ERA order about a month and half ago. I was up at ERA about two weeks ago taking the tour. I was impressed with the operation and I got a nice long ride in one. I wanted to consider the Shelby, but I need to examine one in person to really consider it. Maybe, it would sway me to purchase it instead. Having seen a couple ERAs up close and having seen an American built glass Shelby up close, I doubt that would happen. They all were high quality cars and I would be very blessed to have either, but I actually see no reason to doubt Bob (ERA) when he indicates that the ERA chassis was designed to improve rigidity over the original cobra chassis. That is the advantage of starting with a new design. The biggest advantage to me of the Shelby is I would get the car sooner, but ERA is giving me a 8 to 9 month est and the Shelby delivery dates are looking softer than expected. So, that is a little of my rationale and I'm pretty sure that I'm an ERA customer even though the deposit is refundable. In fact, that is another reason I went with ERA, the 100% refundable deposit while the Shelby deposit was twice the price and 100% NON-refundable (according to the fine print I've read).

Caustic,

That component info is old stuff taking about the Las Vegas glass car that were available from Shelby. I don't know if any of those are still available.

Still Dreaming until I'm Driving
Old 11-10-2003, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Yep,Dreamer,I guess i did miss that post(I'm so ashamed!)Glad to hear you are still in line,I'm no doubt a ways behind you.I have not regretted for one second deciding on an ERA.The longer wait allowed me to order more car,because I have the extra time to save.At this point in my life I put a very high priorty on honesty and service in a business,and I have every confidence ERA will deliver that.Still dreamin' too-that's half the fun!
Old 11-10-2003, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with Mike C in Tucson. If you want appreciation buy an old Vette. If you want fun at a great price the FFR is a nice set-up. Aluminum Shloominum, so are beer cans and DeLoreans...