12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

What is the cost comparison between the SA CSX and the ERA roller?

I haven't priced an ERA roller in years but its got to be in the $35k to $37K range.

I personally think the ERA are tremendous cars. I love them and have a particular soft spot for ERA. I loved mine.

I will tell you that a close friend of mine, who has built two ERA's and an ERA GT40 (sold to BLACK JACK last year) and has built multiple FE BB's and a 302 Boss for the GT40, examined the CSX's at HRE when he went with me to pick up my car last spring. I will only tell you what he told me, and he is very knowledgable and skilled. He told me that he felt the suspension on the CSX was superior to the the suspension on the ERA's and felt the chasis was a much nicer chasis and very well constructed. He also pointed out specific items when looking at a SPF at Carlisle why the ERA chasis was in his opinion superior to the SPF. He did think the glass work on the SPF was outstanding. He also feels the ERA bodies are outstanding.

This is not to say the SPF or ERA are not quality products, it was just his comparison of the two to each other and the Shelby. He would absolutely qualify as an expert based on his experience and qualifications.

I will also tell you he has just finished building another FE BB (428 PI) which he was planning on putting into another Cobra. He looked at SPF again. Ruled it out for the ERA again, to which he is very partial. I will also tell you he has just ruled out the ERA now knowing he can buy a completed Shelby CSX roller for $40K. His words were "I like Peter but if its a choice between the CSX and the ERA for that difference the choice is easy".

He plans on ordering the CSX. He is doing a street spec Cobra with not scoop, side pipes or roll bar. He is also looking for Sunburst wheels, so if anyone out there knows where to find a set....

According the Billy Andrews at HRE in LI N.Y. who has inspected the prototype SA CSX very closely it is a high quality product all around and the production units are going to be even nicer.

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-23-2003 at 04:02 PM..
Old 10-23-2003, 04:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

.....was the one you guys looked at red? ha ha

Ernie
Old 10-23-2003, 04:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

No.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Shelby Automobiles, Inc.
news...

"Many people are still having a difficult time believing this isn't a Shelby hoax"

(this in regards to the news of a $39.999. roller)

Funny that people are first inclined to think that everything Shelby does is a hoax!!!!!

A choice between a CSX and and ERA?? That would require a moment of thought but I think I'd go with the ERA 289. Yep, no doubt about it... ERA
Old 10-23-2003, 04:22 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well thats why there more than just one flavor in of ice cream.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I wish there was more than One crossmember under the tranny on the SPF. Actually, I wish there were another crossmember away from the tranny altogether, and the one under the tranny was a bolt on, so removal of the tranny didnt require removal of the seats or engine.(just a thought)
Old 10-23-2003, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Real 1,

It all good...

" examined the CSX's at HRE when he went with me to pick up my car last spring. I will only tell you what he told me, and he is very knowledgable and skilled. He told me that he felt the suspension on the CSX was superior to the the suspension on the ERA's and felt the chasis was a much nicer chasis and very well constructed. He also pointed out specific items when looking at a SPF at Carlisle why the ERA chasis was in his opinion superior to the SPF."

Boy this sounds familiar, where have I heard this before?

But Hey I am no expert!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

reply #12. and deja vu, not the nude dancer types, but been down this road before , too many frickin times. reply #17 too. bill, flush
Old 10-23-2003, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mr. Real 1:

Don't you ever get tired of trying to "push" your views on other people. Unless your friend's last name is Elliott, Andretti, Unser Jr., etc... his opinion is just that, an opinion. Why doesn't the CSX clan quit trying to "tell" everyone how special their car is and how "ok" the other manufacturer's Cobra's are and provide a "standard" new CAV CSX Cobra and Superformance will do the same for a magazine "test" in a magazine like Car And Driver.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default DO NOT SELL THAT GT-500

Quote:
Originally posted by daltondavid

I am leaning towards getting one after Visiting the Factory, Meeting Shelby and yes, I think they will hold value. I have a 68 Shelby GT 500 now and am thinking about selling it and putting it towards a CSX
ARE YOU CRAZY? YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR GT-500? I WOULD TAKE THAT CAR TO THE GRAVE WITH ME!
Old 10-23-2003, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

johan has a bunch of sunbursts, at least more than 4.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Evan: You say the "production cars are going to be even BETTER than the proto-type"?? Are you suggesting that they didn't go over that proto-type with a fine tooth comb making sure it was as perfect as they could get it, so they could excite people about the project and makes some sales off of it!? ...I'm sure they did (even though someone on one of these post said they saw it in person and noticed some "flaws" in the 'glass).
-Hey, pull my other leg........it plays jingle bells!

I'm SURE there ARE differences in quality between SPF, ERA, and CSX. Each have their pluses and minuses. I think the ERA looks more "original" than an SPF. I would tend to believe the suspension / ride is a little nicer in the SPF vs. the ERA though (especially with the Olthoff upgraded Bilsteins). Most ERA's are BB / FE cars, while SPF's seem to feel more at home with a stroker (but there are plenty of BB SPF's out there). I've seen fantastic paint jobs on BOTH vehicles, but on the ERA, it can depends on who painted it. I wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed, I'll tell you that! Fact is, the verdict is still out on the Shelby cars. Sure the proto-type looks fairly nice........but they're designed to do that! They want to MAKE sales....not loose them. Before I plop down a hard earned 40K I'd like to see a few on the road first. Some people are so blinded by the Shelby name / mystic, that they will give the guy their money before ever seeing the product (any Series1 guys out there!?). They must have money to burn. Unfortunately, I don't. I'll wait it out.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham or the Evil Empire. Do kids NEED college?
Not Ranked     

I think the SAI will be a great car for the money, but for those of us who treat the # as part of the value, but not all....

-It will have to wait till some of these cars are produced.
pk
Old 10-24-2003, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry,

You really should go out and buy and Superformance or ERA, sound like you are leaning that way. Hey they are great cars can't go wrong. And you know those Shelby guys always have something up their sleave, trying to screw everyone over. Order the ERA now and you might have it buy the end of next year.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The CAV plant in S. Africa sure looks pretty impressive. BASED on the pictures I've seen. The history of the "plant" and the track record concerning their other products is VERY impressive. These guys are NOT some "new kids" on the block.

My FEELING is that the prototype is in fact NOT up to the standards of the final product. Some changes have all ready been discussed as to fit and finish. I am left with the impression that while the prototype is excellent, but it could use further refinement! I think the first batch of cars will be BETTER and that will continue for some time.

Ernie
Old 10-24-2003, 02:33 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bandit 1: The answer to your first question is "no". Seriously, I'm not trying to push my views on anyone. I'm just reciting facts and now have provided the opinion of someone who is very knowledgable on the subject. Some my find it of interest.

In response to the balance of your post I would point out that even if Unser, Elliot (who btw sponsered special edition CSX for HRE) and Andretti stated their view it would stil be an "opinion". It might have more weight to you than someone you don't know which I perfectly understand. However, I will tell you that this person of whom I speak is very well qualified and knowledgable and knows what he is talking about. You can take it and give it any weight you want. He never said the SPf was bad or the ERA was bad. He just opined the CSX suspension and chasis in his view were superior after he examined the CSX's. He said it. Not me.

I'm not trying to prove how "special" the CSX is. I'm just providing a response to the discussion, again on topic which you apparently don't like because I guess you own a SPF. I'm just telling you what my friend said who has no axe to grind, since he doesn't own a CSX and I found compelling for two reasons. One, he is very knowledgeable and second he is very partial to ERAs as you might expect having built two Cobras and a GT40 (all of which were gorgeous and of top workmanship). He also rebuilt an origianal ZF Trans for the GT40 by himself and built the car to impeccable standards by himself. The only thing he didn't do was paint it. Ask BLACK JACK what he thought of the GT40 when he first saw it and even now. I $hit you not.

Funny, you don't seem to get so upset when someone trys to knock a CSX, or espouse how the SPF chasis is superior in rigidity (without any emperical data or proof) or how a SPF will out handle or perform a CSX yada yada yada. That seems to be just jake with you. Believe me I don't care. I'm just pointing out the obvious.

I'm just pointing out what someone who has tremendous experience in building these cars, FE engines, transmissions and understands the mechanics and technical aspects fully and who very knowledgable as far as these car are concern opined. Some may have an interest in what such an individual has to say, especially those who are contemplating a CSX or ERA or SPF. You obviously don't like it for the shear reason you have a SPF. Sorry.

Terry: Billy Andrew did say that the prototype was excellent in build quality. But as Excalibur pointed out, he did also tell me there are some little things which they want to improve before they go into final production. A prototype by definition is not the final product. Based on the quality of the proto and what Billy said I would expect the production product to be beautiful.

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-24-2003 at 02:38 PM..
Old 10-24-2003, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Evan: Do you know of any shows / events coming to the Chicago area, that Shelby is planning on attending? I really DO want to see one up close. Does anyone know where the proto-type is going to be next? (and what color it will be:-)?? -joke
I don't hate the man (CS), in fact, I met him once at a show (he signed my Franklin Mint Cobra!), and I thought he was very nice. I was a huge fan for many years, and still respect him to this day, for what he accomplished in his early days. I've changed my tune since he has gotten older and "greed" has seemed to consume his life........but that's for another thread......
That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one of his cars! I've never thought about it, simply because they have alway been out of my price range. Now, things are starting to get interesting with his new roller (which is exactly what it was meant to do.....make the people looking to buy a "replica", think twice). I hope it's a great car! But I still need to see some proof that it will: be built better, look nicer - better paint, ride nicer, out corner, out brake, and.....out sell, the competition. Just going by the past few years of Shelby's life, I think his main concern is just the "out sell" part of all that. He counts on his NAME to do the selling. Others, have to rely on their PRODUCT; and the product has to be good in order to beat the competition.
I just want the best car I can get for my money. Period. It doesn't matter to me who's name is on it.
The car I want is going to make me have to come home and change my shorts after a drive! ....I've driven some replica's that don't do that for me. If it turns out that the Shelby car DOES, I'll buy some seat covers and order one! I'll admit, having THE "name" on my car WOULD be a bonus..........but it's not THE biggest selling point for me.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 10-24-2003 at 03:13 PM..
Old 10-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Terry,
Do you want a side by side comparison between a CSX and a SPF ? If so, you are welcome to check both of my cars out and ask whatever questions you like. Drop me a note and we can arrange a time. If I had an AC here, I'd further your education!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 10-24-2003, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan: I would love to! ........but YOUR car is REAL!! CSX4148, I'm sure is a heck of a car.....excuse me, COBRA (and I can say that!). I need to see something I can afford; which is one of those South Africa cars.
Which car did you have first? Can you share the pro's and con's of both? -Private e-mail me and we'll discuss it. Too many cooks in the kitchen, here! I need some honest answers, without holding back, worring about upsetting someone!
Thanks for the offer! Very kind.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Wink

Terry,
My first Superformance, SPF #760 is now owned by Blas Costalgi from Hinsdale, Illinois. It was my first cobra and shortly after I sold it, I realized how much I really enjoyed the car, so Dean Rosen at Dynamic and I picked on each other for a few weeks and finally reached an agreement for another car. During that same period, I was also in active negotiations with Bob Marsh at Shelby American for an aluminum CSX, which came to fruition about 3 weeks AFTER I had already ordered SPF 1568. I originally owned CSX 4308 and my close friend Turk owned CSX 4148. My CSX wasn't completed while Turk's CSX had a custom build. I traded my Eurospec'd 1985 Porsche 930 Turbo and my unfinished CSX for Turk's completed CSX, which should eventually play havoc with the new Shelby Registry. The SPF has a stroked 351 to a 418 and the CSX has a NOS 427 side oiler with dual quads... The best of both worlds. Both are works of art and uniquely different.
You're welcome to visit and check them out closely.
Whatever questions you ask, you will receive truthful answers.

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."