16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Old 01-18-2004, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Question for you audio geeks,

First off I know nothing about audio equipmwnt. What I do know is that I have installed speaker wires in movie theaters that go from 2000 watt amplafiers to speakers in the front of the theater about 250-300 ft. and the wire that we use is commercial speaker wire 2 # 12 unshielded. I can tell you the sound is great, a little loud. What makes this high tech Siltech wire better.

I am not trying to bust chops, just curious.

Cranky
Old 01-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

rdorman,
If you built a Hafler, it wasn't much of an amp. Not a Heathkit, I hope.
I did do a search on Heath and Hafler, and could find no earlier references on any of the threads.
Another Audio nut here.

I should have been more specific. While I know the kits you are refering to I was more into cabinet and cross over design and construction and played with passive imaging systems. I have never been able to buy the dream amps. He!! old faithful, a Harmon Kardon PM650 just died after OVER twenty years of faithful service. Mass for the recently departed was just today.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Say Hal,

I'm a kind of particular sort when I work too, but I draw the line at lining up my cookies and carrot sticks in neat little rows before I eat them. I hope you do too.... Just teasing

Al
Old 01-18-2004, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Ohhhh man, don't be picking on my Haflers!

I started with some of David's mono blocks (dynaco 70's I think), and have been a fan ever since. Nice warm tube sound. I forget what dynaco preamp/tuner I had back then... I know it has some serious 'drift' problems!

As far as a nice rack I think I have at least 5 of the DH200's, a couple of which I built (although it was more 'assembly' than build), a couple with VanAl's mods, and a pair of newer vintage XL600's. The power supplies in these rascal's is hard to beat, enough current to drive even difficult loads. Heck, I think the damping factor in the smaller amps is around 330 - not shabby by my standards. Personally, I think they were a great value for the money - and then came Rockford Oh well. And in defense of others out there that have a fire extinguisher in their listening room (Class A fans), I built a couple of those once upon a time, although I could never find the current I liked without going A-AB.

So, why a need for current? I'm also guy that likes some of the non-traditional air motors too. I've had a a pair of the three panel Magie's (Tympani II's I think) for a long time - and absolutely love them. No arcs yet, and they have seen some work in their days. I built a DVC sub for them a few years back, which is crossed at about 38Hz, that I power with one of the big Haflers in 'bridged' mode. The combo just works - at least in my ears. To take things a little more off the purist track, I also like the Carver pre-amps (yes, the sonic hologram is 'on'!).

I played with the Dahlquist DQ10's for a while too (Turk, next time you are at Dan's house notice his speakers... they are a set of DQ10 phased array tops, the cap mods, and a little help on the bottom end from some good 'ol German Peerless 12's in a 6 cube vented box).

I also like some of the other non-traditional drivers, like the EMIT's and EMIMs (anyone have a pair of diaphrams for full emim's - I need a pair ) and the ESS AMT's, for which I would like to find some drivers that actually still have foam surrounds in tact! Call me lazy, I should just send them for new surrounds...

End of the day, it comes down to what seems right to 'me' that counts. Much like the content of these threads. Some appeal to me, others don't. Besides, the decision to invest the spare change in a Cobra gives me much more pleasure than the braggin' rights of owning a pair of amps of the same value Besides, since the Cobra, I don't hear as well as I used to anyway...

Last edited by DaveSemko; 01-18-2004 at 07:54 PM..
Old 01-18-2004, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb So - Rich H.

Seems to be that we're headed for freekin huge stereos in our Cobras.

Maybe.

Or maybe it's just Cobras in our freekin huge stereos.

I'm so confused.....
Old 01-18-2004, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

Just one answer for your situation.

Citation.

Play It Again Sam is still in business (Lakewood Ohio), he (Bernie) used to have a really good HK tech - I think his name is Scott. Since they deal with older used 'stuff' they usually have all the repair manuals etc. There may be life for your HK.. don't bury it yet!

www.playitagainsam.com

Last edited by DaveSemko; 01-18-2004 at 08:09 PM..
Old 01-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter FIA style body with Ford suspension, 351W/396 by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

In answer to the original question, "where is CC going and what is the future", if this thread doesn't exemplify something of a problem, I don't know what does. Someone asks a legitimate question about the direction the Club is taking, inviting what could be some serious discussion about the evolution of Club Cobra. The thread turns into Club Audio. I think the original question has its answer.

I've never complained about anything that's ever been posted on Club Cobra, and I don't plan to, ever. When the Club has nothing to offer that interests me, I will find a forum that does. I don't believe it should change according to any member's taste. There is a current thread about original members who no longer contribute and are missed. I wonder when I will join them and for what reason.

Bumpster
Old 01-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After a thread starts and the issue has been covered, often it's friends kicking back and making small talk. Happens at my place a lot, at work, where ever. Happens here, kinda nice that way, I like it.

,,,,,and I'm with Kobra Karl on this one. More h.p. than I know what to do with and to deaf to appreciate good sound these days!

Ernie
Old 01-18-2004, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

David you had a PAT-5.

TURK
Old 01-18-2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Bumpster,

You win the $64,000 question. To me, the original question had little merit once the poster admitted his own assumptions were a little off base. Once things start getting negative, its only a matter of time before members intentionally switch gear to something more fun and positive to discuss.

Its about members, and this is where CC is going IMHO.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is called conversation.
if every thread ended at the point of deviance, all threads would be short and there would be a lot more of them.

I am sure we all will move away from this place, and someone else will take our place. I doubt it that they will miss us.

Kind a curious why you read it all the way thru where the subject became something totally different?

TURK
Old 01-19-2004, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Richard- I'm someone that read that post before this post came out, and printed it out for future reference as I have done on many threads. As a junkyard hillbilly hot rodder, I don't have the slightest what you guys were talking about.
What I did find interesting though was the telementry piece you mentioned, and designing brakes for different drivers. That smacks me as what hot rodders do all the time when rodders try to figger out how to make stuff work. Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,, the more we know, the more we do the same stuff, mistakes included.
I don't think anyone answered your question/idea about a tech. archive section here on CC. As one that's been here a bit, I seem to remember that Brent floated that idea a while back. It's still a good idea IMHO but the problem that Brent ran into, if I remember correct, was no one stepped up to bat to author those articals. And of course said articals will need to be updated from time to time to stay up to date. And by who? Remember too that archive space takes computer space = $$$$$$$.
Thinking about it all at CC, both past and present, my thinking is a bit like Turks. Maybe not perfect but by in large O.K. with me.

cobrashock

Cary tube preamp
Theta Casablanca processor
Logan Monolith 2's
Quads
Quad 2 Diamond Monoblocks
Sunfire Cinema Grand Slam
Nordost
other stuff, but not anything new bought in about 2 years!
Rega Planar 9
Sunfire 10" sub
Old 01-19-2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I never thought the cobrasite would also attract audiophiles.
Go figure!

Sony SCD1/Linn LP12/Theta Basic/Muse II DAC
Wavac MD300 (with upgraded 300Bs)
Koechel 300s and sub
PSC wires, and too much stuff stuck to and around the walls.....
(and looking for a better phono amp than the Antique Audio...)

Tube Guy and Proud of it...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Intentionally switch gears? Who would do that?

I think that may be a good analogy of the situation... if CC had stayed the same as it was with the precious first 12 members - it would have been much like leaving the car in first gear.

Maybe some of the members would benefit from finding 4th gear, and enjoying some of the scenery

Bumpster I see Richards question as more rhetorical. And this thread does exemplfy CC today. A place with life, variety, and something for everyone.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I tend to agree with Turk (scarry isn't it),

It's called conversation!

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-19-2004, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois,
There are dangers in agreeing with Turk.
I just changed my mind. Richard is right. So, now you are out there alone with your silly idea of this place being about conversation.
See what I mean?

TURK
Old 01-19-2004, 08:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

GEEEZZUUUZZ - - - -

YOU TALK ABOUT HI-JACKING A THREAD - - - - - -

I HAD TO GO BACK A COUPLE OF PAGES JUST TO REMEMBER HOW I GOT HEAR TO BEGIN WITH.

THIS ONLY PROVES - BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT - THAT THINGS ARE MORE NOW LIKE TODAY THAN THEY HAVE EVER BEEN BEFORE.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE WE ARE GOING. HELL, I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I'M GOING - OR -WHAT THE HELL I'M GOING TO DO WHEN I GET THERE.

I PROBABLY QUALIFY AS AN "OLD TIMER" (SHOOT - I PROBABLY QUALIFY AS AN OLD "ANYTHING"), AND I GOTTA SAY, I HAVE LOVED THIS SITE SINCE MY FIRST DAY HERE AND I LOVE IT AND THE WHACKY-A$$ED PARICIPANTS EVEN MORE TODAY.

YOU ALL ARE NUTS - - - ABSO-FREEKIN-LUTELY NUTS BUT I NEVER CHECK IN HERE THAT I DON'T LEARN SOMETHING AND - FIND SOMETHING TO LAUGH MY A$$ OFF AT.

I THOUGHT THE BRAKE POST WAS OVER MY HEAD - THEN Y'ALL STARTED ON THE AUDIO EQUIPMENT - - - - -

THE BEST I CAN DO - ON A GOOD DAY - IS SING OFF KEY IN THE SHOWER.

I DON'T THINK IT'S A MATTER OF "WHERE WE'RE GOING" - - I THINK WE'RE "ALREADY THERE" - AND IT'S A PRETTY COOL PLACE.

NOW - I'M GOING TO TAKE A GOOD SHOT OF RAKI AND GO SING IN THE SHOWER UNTIL THE NEIGHBORS CALL THE COPS.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK

Last edited by BLACKJACK; 01-19-2004 at 09:00 AM..
Old 01-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I an WAYYYYYYY out of my league with these guys in audio!

My old IC amp HK has been a trusted friend for many years. I will look up the guys you refer to Dan and give them a ring. It was a heck of an amp for the money in its day.

I think the tech archive thread could be a great addition. Take some of the old threads, cut out the bull and group them. List only problem and solution or tech how to's.

I have three that can be of benefit, I beleive. One is the is about converting Wilwood brakes to fit MG front ends. Another is converting the MG columns (any bushed column really) to caged needle bearings, and the other is the brake work sheet.

By the way, for those who have asked for the brake work sheet, I have created a mailing list. As the sheet changes, improves etc. you will get an update. No additional charge of course! If you don't want to continue to get them just reply and say thanks, but no thanks!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 01-19-2004, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

Thinkin' it might be time to trade the Quads for a set of Maggie's and make the full switch to surround sound. Course I would have to send the Theta Cas. in for a factory upgrade to 7.1. And then there's that junk Zenith projector I now have that is begging for a upgrade,,,,,,,,,,,,,
cobrashock
Old 01-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Is anybody going to answer Cranky? What is the deal with very very expensive speaker wire when ordinary cheap speaker wire works fine? Please use simple English, don't get into all kinds of audio lingo that we won't understand. Can you actually hear the difference?

Wayne