19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2008, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Air flow through hood scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a427sc View Post
Ant Compare my ERA w/ large scoop (in front) vs a Contemporary (99's) behind.
a427sc,
Your car looks very good and much better than the one behind!
With my choice of Yates headed race engine, manifold height dictates scoop height and I am another inch of so higher than your car! I could go EFI but I cant really afford that and dont see it as being any great improvement on the track, but it would solve some scoop height and fuel economy!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

This is a most interesting thread for me. I presently have the 9" air cleaner 2 3/4 k+n filter element, turkey pan set up. I love the way it looks. I have found out that this filter is only capable of flowing 470 cfm, clearly not enought for a 428 with a big Holley DP. So I am looking for a way to get a lot more air and keeps the traditional look under the hood and on top of the hood
More research the other day, I found out that the long oval cobra air cleaner flows no better than the little one I have on there now(reduced height for hood clearance). I am shocked no one has designed a drop down base for the big oval air cleaner, I called k+n and the have a 3" filter element for this, it measures 20.81Lx9.5Wx 3H, it will flow 950 cfm, this to me would be perfect! Now, to make it perfect, would be to design a turkey pan to mount to the intake manifold flange(like the present Turkey pan), only shaped to accomadate the long oval filter.
Now, as far as providing air for this much increased cfm potential, I know under the hood air availability is a real question mark, especially at speed. Dyno guys have told me they have much increased numbers just taking the hood off and doing nothing else. I was thinking of a RAM AIR setup coming from the two 7x3 holes in the front, ducting it outside the wheel well and then entering it into the engine compartment thru the wheelwell housing. Location would be about 1/3 of the way back on the valve cover.
Mount a flanged adapter on each side of the new tukey pan that would accomodate a 3 inch brake ducting hose.
I think this could be a real clean, very effective and very good looking set up.
Pegusus has ducting and adapters, I am sure there are more sites that have more choices, this is as far as I have gotten so far.
Has anybody attempted anything like this yet, I don't want to recreate the wheel if has been done already.
To compliment this I would opt for new sidepipes with the spiral core option that I talked to Maurice at Unique about, to free it up so I can take advantage of all that available intake air I would now have. Then of course it would be off to a dyno to dial it all in.
Related Thread On Unique forum
http://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5525
Any input would be appreciated!
Thank You....Dave

Last edited by davids2toys; 10-23-2008 at 11:11 AM..
Old 10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

Take a look in my gallery. I started with a Summit oval aircleaner with a filter top and dropped the base. I still run a turkey pan. The exhaust no longer has that unburnt gasoline smell, so that tells me the aircleaner flows better than the S&H that it replaced.

I'm no expert.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Dave....You are on the right path my friend. Simple evaluation of basic airflow is something most Snake owners don't ever consider. They are so obsessed with being "original" that any change is considered heresy. You might install a set of air/fuel ratio gauges in your pipes to start with. A simple change you might try is to reverse the direction of the hood scoop. There's more air pressure at the base of the windscreen than out on the middle of the hood's surface. (a simple manometer test will prove that) Don't be afraid to go against the majority's opinions....there's little knowledge there..only monkey see monkey do. Badger
Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, 428, 4 speed Toploader, Jag rear, Red with White stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Ledyard View Post
Take a look in my gallery. I started with a Summit oval aircleaner with a filter top and dropped the base. I still run a turkey pan. The exhaust no longer has that unburnt gasoline smell, so that tells me the aircleaner flows better than the S&H that it replaced.
Nice car Lew, yes I saw that aircleaner in Summitt, I think it was an Edelbrock actually. Does it have a drop down base, I did NOT think it did, but you say it does?
I have heard of spurttering issues with the open top air cleaners with our cobras and the scoops we have on our cars affecting the airflow.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP
Not Ranked     

It does not come with a dropped base. The entire base sits above the carb. However, the flat base on it can be modified so that it drops. I think mine is dropped about 3/4". I have no sputtering issues.

I'm no expert.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Dave....You are on the right path my friend. Simple evaluation of basic airflow is something most Snake owners don't ever consider. They are so obsessed with being "original" that any change is considered heresy. You might install a set of air/fuel ratio gauges in your pipes to start with. A simple change you might try is to reverse the direction of the hood scoop. There's more air pressure at the base of the windscreen than out on the middle of the hood's surface. (a simple manometer test will prove that) Don't be afraid to go against the majority's opinions....there's little knowledge there..only monkey see monkey do. Badger
Thanks Badger, but I probably fall into the same crowd, sort of anyway!
I still want it to look very Cobra-ish, I have no interest in turning the scoop around, and I am a working JOE so everything needs to be cost effective.
I figure, if I can at least supply lots of air availability(ducts), CFM availability( much bigger air cleaner), Looks( ducting, cobra oval AC dropped down to accept a 3" element, modified turkey pan or airbox).../then I will have a much improved performing car, and still look great at the car shows and for my own eye!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Hi Lew!
Your car is Sweet!
Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Turn the scoop around... Humm. I aam going to use the Classic Dynatek Direct induction system on my build. (mild 351W w/ 435 // 430 ft) The system would benifit from the reverse scoop with the use of a turkey pan. Hummmmm.
Mother
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

About the only thing my hood scoop does, that I can think of is: allow clearance, and let heat out when you turn off the car. I tried the yarn on the scoop trick, and the big opening in the front of the car was just forcing hot air out of the scoop while driving. LOL
Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Double Venum
Nice use of "Duponts Croman Illision" on the build. I have no concerns about changing the looks of the hood to an improved air flow question.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried adding vents to the hood? If the air coming through the radiator is causing air to flow out the scoop, what if we gave the air another place to go?
Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Problem is the Turkey Pan, with it on, the scoop cant flow enough air for a 500CFM much less a 750 or 780CFM Carb! Do a full bore accceleration run and shut the key off at about 6000RPM and take a plug reading - They'll be black with the pan on. Take the Turkey pan off and do the run again - if the carb is jetted properly, the plugs will read perfectly! We proved this out while tuning for a Run & Gun many years ago.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercory View Post
The Problem is the Turkey Pan, with it on, the scoop cant flow enough air for a 500CFM much less a 750 or 780CFM Carb! Do a full bore accceleration run and shut the key off at about 6000RPM and take a plug reading - They'll be black with the pan on. Take the Turkey pan off and do the run again - if the carb is jetted properly, the plugs will read perfectly! We proved this out while tuning for a Run & Gun many years ago.
Also, if the filter element can only flow 470 cfm(mine)
Old 01-04-2012, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Cobra / B&B 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Question Take the Turkey pan off

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercory View Post

So you're saying if I'm running an 850cfm holley on a 427 so I should take the turkey pan off.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     

dls141

notice this thread started in Feb 2004 and stayed active till 2008. Lots of good info in this thread.

The turkey pan is killing your hp.

I did the cal's on an 8" S&S air filter on a 351W with 400 flywheel hp. At 4000 rpms it was losing 97 hp because of the filter.

use this link to cal your air filter. You can not get the proper size filter in the turkey pan.

Second Strike Air Cleaner Calculator

Dwight
Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I read this thread from the first to the last post, what I see is a bunch of guys try to explain and calculate fluid dynamics.

What I don't see, are any real numbers - like dyno sheets. With or without turkey pan / larger or smaller filter.

To bust some of the bubbles here, the efficiency of an air filter is altered by 25% in the first 6 month (not in Nevada or West Texas - more like 35%).

Many numbers swirling around about CFM and RPM. All manufacture numbers are based on a stoichiometric air–fuel mixture. Well, most carburetor guys just can dream of it. So, take 25% of the number and let this the base of the calculations.

A good motor performance is not created on the internet nor just on paper. Many "internet engineers" don't realize that. They even believe Wikipedia is correct in all fields.
Trial and error is the key, so if someone would provide some numbers here to make this thread more substantial.

Thanks
DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with you to a point, but as a start in the right direction, the airflow is what it is. So if my K+N filter wont flow more than 450 cfm brand new(per K+N tech dept), and engine needs 750cfm to perform to its intended potential, at this point it is not rocket science!
I love the look of the turkey pan and I have the biggest filter (height and width) I could possibly run with the turkey pan. I will be going with the spiral flow exhaust this year which will flow much more than my present setup, this will further exaggerate the starving for air in high performance situations. I will most probably go to a cool looking ram-box setup and a dyno service to get it all perfect!
Dave
Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SO
Not Ranked     

G-Pete, I thought I posted some "real-world" results on this thread early-on, but maybe not. Here you go:

I have a mild 2x4 sideoiler with 2 600 CFM Holleys. The guys in Houston all decide to do a "dyno day". I put mine on it, did two back-to-back pulls and got 394 RWHP with stock paper filters on the S&H housings, and 402 RWHP with just the base of the S&H housings on the carbs (I've been told that without the base of the housing the airflow into the carb gets disrupted).

That makes 7 RWHP difference between paper elements and no elements, up through 5500 RPM. The reason I run paper elements is because the K&N elements let way more fine particles through, and for 7 HP, it isn't worth it.

Now for the guys with one big carb, the single S&H filter seems way too small, but for me, it works. And FWIW, Double Venom's tuft work confirms what I had always suspected, the hood scoop is good looking, but fairly worthless, and any benefit you'd get from cool air by sealing your carb to the hood would be lost by starving the engine for air (at higher RPM). JMHO.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Cobra / B&B 427 SO
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
dls141

notice this thread started in Feb 2004 and stayed active till 2008. Lots of good info in this thread.

The turkey pan is killing your hp.

I did the cal's on an 8" S&S air filter on a 351W with 400 flywheel hp. At 4000 rpms it was losing 97 hp because of the filter.

use this link to cal your air filter. You can not get the proper size filter in the turkey pan.

Second Strike Air Cleaner Calculator

Dwight

Thanks Dwight. I've seen the TP setup before on a small block but thought it looked odd - and constricting on the 427.

We'll be installing the new Holley next weekend and I'm dropping the turkey pan. It's great to live 30 minutes from Summitt too!