28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-1999, 12:16 PM
hyghlndr
Visit my Photo Gallery

HI! I am 27yo.
I have wanted a Cobra since I was 12 or so. I was fortunate to find a very cool guy at a local car show who let me sit in his real 427 Cobra and started it up !! The rest is history....

Old 03-11-1999, 01:23 PM
Velvet Hammer
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 21 and picked up my Cobra kit back in October. I've been playing with older Fords and late model Mustangs since I was 16 and figure I better have fun with the cars now so when I get old like all of you I can go fishing. Just some humor.
Old 03-11-1999, 01:42 PM
DAVID GAGNARD
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hey lets not knock the forties. My dad always said I was the biggest kid he ever saw and would never grow up. I told him that I hoped what he said was true. Age is what you make it. The cars actually keep me young and in touch with the younger kids especially at the car shows. Just ask Art, he knows exactly what I mean. It is a good feeling when a bunch of teenagers come up to my car and say how cool it is. My thirteen year old daughter begs me to pick her up at school only in my Mustang and not the Toyota, and I always ablidge.

David 43 going on 19
Old 03-11-1999, 03:27 PM
Scott Smith
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neal - A tip of the hat to you of the "old guard".
Old 03-11-1999, 03:28 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

hyghlndr,

Welcome to Club Cobra!

Your story about Cobras is similar to mine - I too only sat (and rode) in one kit Cobra and was hooked on getting one. But I have been admiring them for decades.

Enjoy the Club!

Neal

Velvet Hammer,

Welcome to Club Cobra!

How nice that you are able to have a Cobra kit at your age! Maybe all of us "old" people should start a "Tips On Fishing" thread, for the benefit of others.

Enjoy the Club!

Neal
Old 03-12-1999, 02:51 PM
rklein
Visit my Photo Gallery

This website continues to be a candy store; even has some great humor except from "Velvet H" . FISHING? FISHING! It's a great past time, but it's awfully low speed! Although I love the smell of the outdoors and the sound of flowing water, I think that blowing off doors and the smell of rubber burning is also "poetic" in it's own way.

Glad you found this Velvet, it should make for some lively discussion with us old guys!

Randy Klein
Los Altos, CA
Old 03-12-1999, 04:03 PM
jpp
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thank you all for the welcome and you bet your boots that car or not I will be at run and gun.
Old 03-13-1999, 02:03 AM
Lance Mussler
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thought I would jump in here. I'm 43 and first fell in love with cars when my Dad took me to a sprint car race at Winchester in Indiana when I was 10 years old. That's when I became a race car fan. I go to Indy every year (although it's not the same now!) and the era of the 60's is my interest, hence the Cobra. Lance
Old 03-22-1999, 11:40 AM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Just thought I'd bring this thread back up to the top since we have a whole bunch of new members since the last post here.

Maybe they'd like to add to this interesting thread?

Thanks!

Neal
Old 03-22-1999, 12:00 PM
poorboy
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 53 have loved cars since I was a kid have dun a little drag racing in the sixtys at detroit dragway. tried a little roundy round on dirt in mt.clemons mi. tried a little off road racing dunebuggy type in fl. road course racing at road atlanta so farI like the road course the best.
Old 03-22-1999, 01:49 PM
Dennis Mosley
Visit my Photo Gallery

Hi all, I'm 32 years old and have great memories of my Dad rebuilding cars when I was young.

I always wanted to build a car myself but never did because I never found that "right car".....that is until about 4 or 5 years ago when a friend called me to come to Dallas and see his new toy. He said it was a Cobra and I instantly thought Mustang Cobra. When I got to Dallas we went to his garage and there sat the most AWSOME car I had ever seen....a blue ERA Cobra with white stripes, chromed roll bar, 5 point belts and a 427 side oiler. Until then, I can't really say that I had even seen a Cobra before. I knew then what I needed to build.

After 4 or 5 years of off and on research and prodding by my friend, I bought my engine block (428) Feb 6 of this year and my frame was delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks Steve E. for helping me find my way...to Cobras
Old 03-22-1999, 05:15 PM
Nels Prario FFR 1389
Visit my Photo Gallery

I am 43 and have had a soft spot in my heart for the Cobra since my teens. Thrilled to have the chance to finally own one. Just began driving around the neighborhood, and it is as much fun as I thought it would be. Actually a little scary at first.
Old 03-22-1999, 06:36 PM
Art Colley
Visit my Photo Gallery

I hope this thread never ends.

Some of the stories here are the best, hearwarming, and enjoyable look into our collective personality. Me, I'm feeling younger all the time.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE (that enough?)

I would hope some of you guys (and girl(s)) would visit my "Cars For Kids Volunteer Network" site at www.cobra65.org and put some of these stories in the feedback page. They would do a lot to jumpstart my new (non forum-Club Cobra is it) site!

This is really great stuff!

Regards, Art in Baton Rouge
Old 03-22-1999, 07:25 PM
Neal Jackson
Visit my Photo Gallery

Art,

Make ya a deal - if I don't bring this thread to the top every so often - you do it! And vice reversa!

Deal?

Neal

(this message edited by Neal Jackson 3-23-99)
(this edit edited by Neal Jackson 3-23-99)
Old 03-23-1999, 02:28 AM
Ken Oikawa
Visit my Photo Gallery

My wife says I'm stil going through mid-life
crisis and I'm 61 yrs young. Probably will
never get over it! I've owned at various
times a TR3,TR4,289 65 Mustang conv (not the
Hi-po version) and a 68 390 GT Mustang fskbck
that I bought new and sold in 91 to finance
my Cobra. The Cobra was finished in 92 and
driven every year except during the winter
month. The Cobra is like a yacht, a botom
less money pit with the on going modification
and performance improvements.

Old 03-23-1999, 04:34 AM
russ thompson
Visit my Photo Gallery

OK,OK,I may be 50,my problem is I still think I'm 20.My love for cobras started when I used to walk by the Ford dealer on the way home from school.They finially got tired of me sitting in the showroom cobra and kicked me out.It might have ended there except around 71 I met a guy that took me for a ride in the Sausalito hills in a jet black 289 #50 Shelby,I was hooked.
After restoring and selling a 65 mustang,I started on a 67 fastback when I realized for about the same money I could build my dream,so I bought a ffr.
Life is sweet,now all I need is a GT-40.
PS anybody want to buy a 67 fastback?

[This message has been edited by russ thompson (edited 03-23-99).]
Old 03-23-1999, 11:37 AM
Matt M FFR 1502
Visit my Photo Gallery

The average age so far is 41.93 years. The standard deviation is 9.69 years. The youngest is velvet hammer at 21 and the oldest is Ken at 61. Thanks. Matt (not feeling like working, and purveyor of useless information) M cheers
Old 03-23-1999, 12:15 PM
Greg Dunn
Visit my Photo Gallery

I'm 44, have a great wife and 5 kids (4 boys) three of which will be driving by next summer (we don't agree as to whether or not they'll be driving the cobra).
I've owned a 65 Jag XKE Coupe, 70 and 72 Opel GT, 1974 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, 75 CJ5, 78 Trans Am and then kids...Vans (4), Mercury Montego, Caprice, Chevette, Corsica etc. Originally was going to buy a kit car in 1980 but the one I liked turned out to be about $50k, too rich for my blood...when I heard about the F5R I figured the price was right and (like my brother allways says) "I deserve it!"...so...it's at the paint shop now. Curious can see some build pictures at
http://members.aol.com/gjdunn5895/auto/index.htm
Oh, and to the Velvet Hammer...I don't blame you a bit...I'll be taking my Cobra to the dock, do a little morning fishing and then back to the car for an afternoon and evening blast. I wish I could have afforded a Cobra, Fishing and had the time to do both when I was 21...your a lucky man.

[This message has been edited by Greg Dunn (edited 03-23-99).]
Old 03-23-1999, 12:51 PM
scootr451
Visit my Photo Gallery

just had to throw in my two cents worth here. i'm also a member of that mid life (crisis? what crisis?) group at 41. i first got the cobra bug back in the seventies when attending Southern Maine Voc Tech school. My instructor told us the story of his experience with an original 427sc belonging to his former boss. he would visit the local drag strips and run the quarter mile, from a standing start in 4th gear, and burn rubber the whole q mile! ever since that day i've wanted one of these cars of my own. that realality is now taking shape this year...starting with a visit to the FFR factory open house 4/10. soon...my cobra will start taking shape.....soon

scootr
Old 03-23-1999, 04:42 PM
Brett99
Visit my Photo Gallery

Ken,
I'm with you, since I finished my car I've driven it everywhere on every sunny day, but I still have the need to spend more money on it.....one more piece of chrome......a few more #of torque here, horsepower there, change gears for town, gears for trips, more chrome, then start over again with a bigger engine. It is great stress relief to work on it, and even better stress relief to drive it! I'm 47, one teenager driving,one BMX racing, and a wife with a closet that is never full.....I need the stress relief.
Brett