Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fuel injection is far superior to any carb. for HP and MPG. It is easily tuned for perfect A/F ratios under all loads, that can't be done with a carb. There is a reason that although F.I. is more expensive, carbs. haven't been used in new cars for over 20 years.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
Fuel injection is far superior to any carb. for HP and MPG. It is easily tuned for perfect A/F ratios under all loads, that can't be done with a carb. There is a reason that although F.I. is more expensive, carbs. haven't been used in new cars for over 20 years.

That's complete Bull Sh!t. There are many offers up and I'll put up my own. Send me a set to "bolt up" and I'll "easily tune" per the claims and I'll be their biggest proponent. Ford crate 392W. No mods.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
There is a reason that...F.I. is more expensive...
I believe that is part of the fundamental issue being discussed/brought up. With 20 years of EFI technology behind us, it doesn't make sense why these systems continue to be out of touch for most enthusiasts? I understand supply and demand curves, so I don't need schooling on limited production = higher fixed costs per unit = more $$$ per unit sold to make a profit.

It's just that this particular manufacturer is making some pretty bold claims. And, I might add, at 10X the price that a good, prepped carb would cost. I won't fully pic on them for price...seems like ALL of the stack EFI set-ups get a healthy premium for the cool factor.

They need a guinea pig in So Cal to prove them right? Bring it on! I have over 1,700 posts here and I'm not afraid to write-up full reports on other mods that I have performed in the past (good, bad or indifferent). Check my history to verify. I'd give them an honest test in real world conditions on a motor that is around 470-480HP at the flywheel. That covers 90% of the known Cobra universe (the other 10% being for the real HP junkies). Testimonials sell systems, not print advertising.

-Dean
Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick
That's complete Bull Sh!t.
What part are you calling B.S. on? I'm not saying this particular vendor's claims are true. I'm only saying that F.I. is far superior to any carb. Do you remember the 70's? With pollutions standards enacted, HP dropped to less than 200, performance cars were gone and gas mileage sucked. F.I. was invented and guess what? We now can go to the dealer and buy a car that has 400-500 HP, gets 25+MPG and now meets even stricter emission standards. Why you ask? BECAUSE OF FUEL INJECTION.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd

Catagorically false.There are even dyno pulls that show a DROP in HP going to FI.
Although,there will be a increase in fuel milage,(but no-where near the 300% claims)there will be NO HP increase over a PROPERLY sized & set-up carb.

And yes,there is a reason there are no more carbs.It's called EMMISSIONS.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd
What part are you calling B.S. on? I'm not saying this particular vendor's claims are true. I'm only saying that F.I. is far superior to any carb. Do you remember the 70's? With pollutions standards enacted, HP dropped to less than 200, performance cars were gone and gas mileage sucked. F.I. was invented and guess what? We now can go to the dealer and buy a car that has 400-500 HP, gets 25+MPG and now meets even stricter emission standards. Why you ask? BECAUSE OF FUEL INJECTION.
JWD-you are an example of how dangerous a little knowledge can be.According to you multi valve heads,roller cams,scienced out heads,10 cylinders,crank trigger ignitions had nothing to do with the power increase-the magical FI did it all by it's lonesome.

Dean,i just looked at the site again.From what i can tell,YOU supply the manifold.There's more money.Another thing that makes me chuckle:The self tuning computer.Un-huh,like i'm going to spend $6,000 and not be able to tune the system?

And for you FE guys looking at this,you'd need the 10 degree Webber manifold for these TBs(or Webbers) to clear your hood.And then enjoy the fun trying to get filters to clear.

Last edited by Cobrabill; 10-12-2007 at 09:04 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I know this is a old thread, but I have Keith Craft Racing building me a 302/306 with the DynaTek system and will let you know what I think of it next summer. Pending my GT40 is finished by RCR by then.

Last edited by ALLEN ENGLISH; 10-11-2008 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I may be a relative newcomer to the site but do all of you only care about assasinating the opinions of others or about the cars? Since when does anyone know what is better for someone else? none of you knwo what is a better system for my car any more than I could say I know what is better for your car.

When I first got my cobra and joined this site I was excited becuase it seemed to be about the cobras, regardless of carb versus fuel injected, small block versus big block (although that debate will never end) If no one else will tell you then I will - you all are full of yourselves and just like hearing yourselves spout what you think is incredibly intelligent words of wisdom. when all most of it is CRAP!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factroy Five MKIII Roadster/ FMS 302 engine Mass-Flow injection
Not Ranked     

Perhaps they will be at Sema next month and someone can report back more. Looks nice but their claims are hard to believe. I'd have to see the system installed and talk to a satisfied owner before dropping $6K. I hope it lives up to the claims.... time will tell.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I may be a relative newcomer to the site but do all of you only care about assasinating the opinions of others or about the cars? Since when does anyone know what is better for someone else? none of you knwo what is a better system for my car any more than I could say I know what is better for your car.

When I first got my cobra and joined this site I was excited becuase it seemed to be about the cobras, regardless of carb versus fuel injected, small block versus big block (although that debate will never end) If no one else will tell you then I will - you all are full of yourselves and just like hearing yourselves spout what you think is incredibly intelligent words of wisdom. when all most of it is CRAP!
It's threads like this that make this site great.

I'm sure your 511 stack injected motor is impressive, looks impressive and makes alot of power, but I would guess it's $6K more than a carbed engine, and although it likely makes more low and mid range torque (HP) than a carbed engine, if you're running less than 58mm throttles bodies, it likely loses power from 5000 rpms up compared to a carbed engine. Not every mechanic on every corner can fix it either, and without some higher priced tools/computer, you can't tune it yourself either.

I see you're having problems as well.

Roush 511 problems

maybe you'd have been better off with a carbed engine? naw. The stacks are worth it.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I know there was a lot of negative talk on this thread and I brought it back up to later provide a report on my experience with this system. I know Keith Craft Racing is building my 302/306 and they are building two other big block motors with the system, so I'm not the only one out here trying the system. I hope to have my car on the road by next April, but this all depends on Race Car Replicas who is building it for me.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

(It's threads like this that make this site great.

I'm sure your 511 stack injected motor is impressive, looks impressive and makes alot of power, but I would guess it's $6K more than a carbed engine, and although it likely makes more low and mid range torque (HP) than a carbed engine, if you're running less than 58mm throttles bodies, it likely loses power from 5000 rpms up compared to a carbed engine. Not every mechanic on every corner can fix it either, and without some higher priced tools/computer, you can't tune it yourself either.

I see you're having problems as well.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...threadid=91793

maybe you'd have been better off with a carbed engine? naw. The stacks are worth it.)

Anthony -
You missed the point of my post. I am not defending the stacks. Yes I have had problems with it. I am sure plenty of people have had problems with carbs as well. And I am not arguing the cost difference between the 2. In spite of what other people post on here, I bought the car and motor combination because it was I wanted. Not to look impressive, sound impressive or brag about it. I bought it because of my personal needs, reasons and taste. I love all of the cobras. I am just tired of hearing all of this BS with everyone trying to justify why their system or engine is better than everyone else's. If you have that low of an inferiority complex or self esteem that you have to bash someone elses car - go to another site please

Personally I am impressed by all of these cars and how each one is unique. I refuse to join in the pissing contest over whose is bigger/better. I would humbly submit that most of the people here enjoy any/all types of cobras like I do. I thought that was supposed to end once you graduated from high school! Grow UP

Last edited by csx4910; 10-11-2008 at 08:29 AM..
Old 10-11-2008, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I have twm injection tuned by Kroyer engines Las Vegas. They have lots of small and big blocks running just fine. I like because no matter what angle or how hard turn there is no stumble. I run fuel injection on my sand car, I would hate to have engine quit going up 800' sand dune or hanging on side of big bowl. Video at buckshot racing.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you have any pics of your car to share?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I don't have a dog in this fight, however after reading this thread, one thing became obvious. Price wise people kept comparing this system to a single carb. How lopsided of a comparison? There are several EFI systems out their designed to look like a single carb at 1/2 to 2/3 the price. On a system designed to look like a weber set up, the price should be compared to the cost of a complete weber set up.

At least make the right comparisons!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4xxx, Alum. Shelby 427 w/ Webers,
Not Ranked     

Anybody road tested their Dynatech Injection set-up yet?

Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

Different strokes for different folks. These "arguements" are for show and for discussion. When ever 2 guys get together there will always be discussions of who's is faster, better looking, bigger etc: it's car talk. I for one always enjoy a good debate, even political, you share ideas, opinions and hopefully both will walk away with more knowledge than before entering the fray. I for one always learn something or at the minimum the urge to do more research. Then I do or beleive what I want.

One comment, in one of the post a person said all the emissions standards came out and then FI was born. FI has been around since the 50's and maybe earlier, the computer is what made FI work.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

csx4910 pic. at www.buckshotracing.com scroll down to white and red x-5 model, then click for pic, 2nd col, 9th pic down, blue with green accents. Most sand cars run fuel injection now, sand ruff ,steep, watch 200 foot jumps and 90 m.p.h. wheelie.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

Different strokes for different folks. These "arguements" are for show and for discussion. When ever 2 guys get together there will always be discussions of who's is faster, better looking, bigger etc: it's car talk. I for one always enjoy a good debate, even political, you share ideas, opinions and hopefully both will walk away with more knowledge than before entering the fray. I for one always learn something or at the minimum the urge to do more research. Then do or beleive what I want.

The Feb. 2009 Kit Car Builder magazine has an interesting article where the Dynatek FI is compared to carburation on the same motor; mileage increased from 12.66 to 19.02 and there was a 40hp gain throughout the rev range on the FI system. Good article both sides should review it.

One comment, in one of the post a person said all the emissions standards came out and then FI was born. FI has been around since the 50's and maybe earlier, the computer is what made FI work.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

I have a few question regarding the dynatek system vs true Weber carbs. There is no doubt about haveing the Weber carbs properly tuned is a true accomplishment. However, properly tuned can mean many things to alot of people. I have had my Weber carbs for sometime know and do wish sometimes that I have purchased the efi setup. But when you sart caomparing the dollar amount between the dynatek and Weber carb there is a huge difference.

Weber carbs = $2500
dynatek = $6000

We are here arguing if the efi will give you more HP compared to the carb setup and can not come to an agreement nor will dynatek comment if you will gain more power from there system.

If I were to use the dynatek system I would definitly through out the computer and use the Halteck system. This is just my opinion. However, I dont think you have that option.

The only down side I see to the Weber carbs besides the cost to properly tune them ( which I have managed to help someone tune their weber setup for approx. $ 100) is the fuel drip that happens after shutdown.

The Weber carbs are period correct and alot of fun to play with.

But bottom line, the dynatek system is for different people than the Weber carbs.

But the HP out come from the dynateck will definitly not justify the cost difference.