Not Ranked     

Never mind.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Amy,

I agree with you completely, it is not your job to defend CS from all of his detractors (me included). I don't expect you to, and none of this is meant as a personal attack against you, or how you handle Shelby's business.

However, to those of us who view all of this as an avocation, rather than a job, the fact that CS decided a number of years ago that there was money to be made, licenses to be issued, and property rights to be protected is an affront to the efforts and hard work of all those who "kept the legend alive" during the decades between CS's interest in these cars. My enthusiasm for the cars remains intact, my enthusiasm for the man wanes.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 11-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Come on, who really gives a sh*t.... the universe continues to expand at the speed of light and we still get to enjoy driving all of our cars.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes
Come on, who really gives a sh*t.... the universe continues to expand at the speed of light and we still get to enjoy driving all of our cars.
So, does that mean that my car is moving at the speed of light? Wonder what THAT ticket gonna cost me?!?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Amy, you know you can't keep all the people happy all the time.

Carry on, and thanks a bunch for keeping us in the loop.

Don't feel bad, I can't keep my wife happy even some of the time .

Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

So, can SAAC still use the "S" in SAAC or is it just going to be "AAC" from now on?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default A Little Education in Brand Marketing

I see this changeover as a logical step and the best way I can explain why is to compare the marketing of the SHELBY brand to two clothing stores I visited (but whose clothes are aimed at a demographic far below my age). One is called "Hollister." I am an ad copywriter and am interested in how brands are promoted. This sometimes leads me to stores just to see how they are presenting themselves. I spent half an hour in the Hollister store but couldn't figure out what the store had to do with that little hick town up North in California other than back around 1950 there was supposedly a "riot" there when some Hells Angeles tore up the town. So the name "Hollister" for me conjures up images of Marlon Brando tearing through town on a Harley (actualy I think he rode a Matchless in the movie The Wild Ones)

Nevertheless someone spent millions to develop that brand name

Then there's Von Dutch. As I said, he was a financial bust all his life, doing a pin stripe job on a car for a case of beer, but now that he's dead even his toolbox sells for half a million. He is a legend in the hot rod world and some clothing manufacturer picked up his name and is making money selling clothes.

Now to the Shelby image. The new marketers figured , hey, we got a name here that is already on a car, and we can build the brand on a new customer base (starting with the '05 Shelbys) . They no doubt contacted the present club and asked "When's the next magazine coming out?"
"I dunno" or somesuch must have been the answer. You can't build a brand name and spend money on something run so casually.
So the new marketers said: "we'll make our own magazine."
The new markets probably then looked at the SAAC website. More bad news. If you go to their site and click on each of SAAC regional sites, how many of them are inactive but still listed like "ghost divisions" in an army (these are called "dead links" which you click on a URL and there is no response) ? I looked at the SAAC site today and they still are listing Unique Performance, a shop which Shelby cut loose a few weeks ago when they failed to deliver cars. So the SAAC website is obviouly slow to adapt to day-to-day events, of which there is a lot of in the Shelby world. There is practically a new announcement per week.
So even though I liked the old SAAC magazine, I can see why the modern day marketers of the Shelby brand name needed an organization which can
move briskly, and adjust to changing circumstances quickly. The car world is like that--you don't move fast, you got a lot of cars rusting away on unpaved lots (ask Chrysler)
I don't even think the brand name Shelby has realized near its full marketing potential. I can see SHELBY clothing stores (makes more sense than Von Dutch or Hollister to me, and you can park a real Shelby in each one) and even SHELBY burger joints (which could start out as a corner of some of the stores owned by Shelby's daughter if she still owns part of Chilis). And of course there's movie of his life (is Tom Cruise too short to play ol' Shel?)
So nothing against the old club but they just weren't a good fit with the modern brand marketing where you do things like e-mail news flashes to club members' ipods and such....
Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff
I see this changeover as a logical step and the best way I can explain why is to compare the marketing of the SHELBY brand to two clothing stores I visited (but whose clothes are aimed at a demographic far below my age). One is called "Hollister." I am an ad copywriter and am interested in how brands are promoted. This sometimes leads me to stores just to see how they are presenting themselves. I spent half an hour in the Hollister store but couldn't figure out what the store had to do with that little hick town up North in California other than back around 1950 there was supposedly a "riot" there when some Hells Angeles tore up the town. So the name "Hollister" for me conjures up images of Marlon Brando tearing through town on a Harley (actualy I think he rode a Matchless in the movie The Wild Ones)

Nevertheless someone spent millions to develop that brand name

Then there's Von Dutch. As I said, he was a financial bust all his life, doing a pin stripe job on a car for a case of beer, but now that he's dead even his toolbox sells for half a million. He is a legend in the hot rod world and some clothing manufacturer picked up his name and is making money selling clothes.

Now to the Shelby image. The new marketers figured , hey, we got a name here that is already on a car, and we can build the brand on a new customer base (starting with the '05 Shelbys) . They no doubt contacted the present club and asked "When's the next magazine coming out?"
"I dunno" or somesuch must have been the answer. You can't build a brand name and spend money on something run so casually.
So the new marketers said: "we'll make our own magazine."
The new markets probably then looked at the SAAC website. More bad news. If you go to their site and click on each of SAAC regional sites, how many of them are inactive but still listed like "ghost divisions" in an army (these are called "dead links" which you click on a URL and there is no response) ? I looked at the SAAC site today and they still are listing Unique Performance, a shop which Shelby cut loose a few weeks ago when they failed to deliver cars. So the SAAC website is obviouly slow to adapt to day-to-day events, of which there is a lot of in the Shelby world. There is practically a new announcement per week.
So even though I liked the old SAAC magazine, I can see why the modern day marketers of the Shelby brand name needed an organization which can
move briskly, and adjust to changing circumstances quickly. The car world is like that--you don't move fast, you got a lot of cars rusting away on unpaved lots (ask Chrysler)
I don't even think the brand name Shelby has realized near its full marketing potential. I can see SHELBY clothing stores (makes more sense than Von Dutch or Hollister to me, and you can park a real Shelby in each one) and even SHELBY burger joints (which could start out as a corner of some of the stores owned by Shelby's daughter if she still owns part of Chilis). And of course there's movie of his life (is Tom Cruise too short to play ol' Shel?)
So nothing against the old club but they just weren't a good fit with the modern brand marketing where you do things like e-mail news flashes to club members' ipods and such....
HistoryBuff,

Thankyou for making my point.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If Buff keeps going, Amy is going to put him on the payroll!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

sounds good? more events, magazines, news letters, a registry, forums, etc.......how much is the new clubs dues ?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Buff, I think your right on some points, but miss a few for us, although from a marketing strategy your probably right.

When I was at Mattel I realized they were thousands of clubs that supported the brand. Now I am not saying that hot wheel collectors are the same as guys who own shelby's, but the passion is the same.

Well, I knew that we could support those guys and get them close and help them get what they want and build what they want, and in return I would make better product, I could make them happy and support the years they supported us. We had conventions for them, we made them special product only they can buy, yes, we made money, but many thought we spent way to much time and effort for what we got. I still hear from those guys, I think we made a difference then, I think we can do the same now. This is not for just the new owners, I would love for all the cobra and vintage Mustang owners to join us. I think that is is what should have been done 40 years ago.

This brand is my responsibily to keep the legacy going, Saac did that for last 30 years, we want to keep it going and take it another step. I am hoping that all of those who have written to me, offerred help and want more will join us. noboday has too. On some level this probably sounds corny, but we all love these cars, we love to drive them and we have so little time to enjoy them, I am just trying to make that time better, and make the brand better

Amy
Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I can see where this is going...

While I do believe that SAAC has been dominated by too much of the same faces and needs "new blood" at the helm in some areas, the closeness of SAAC was in the individual cars built as shall we say "first generation" (62-70). Thing is there is/was exclusivity there...let's admit it alot of us "original" owners really don't consider a new thing 100% "shelby" as we see it historically. Now with the new club EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE - include the little Shelby Dodge OMNIs will be in the fold. Yep - they're built by SHelby with his name and they'll be parked next to an original R model. Kinda cool that it could be that opened...then again for us "original" 60's fans - might make you want to vomit the hotdog you pick up from the concession stand at the next AAC meet.

Last edited by wcampbell; 11-01-2007 at 07:10 PM..
Old 11-01-2007, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default SAAC Just a note

Most of us are used to SAAC and all its benefits but, think of the foresight they had from the beginning, a time when the cars were not all that old and, not all that valuable.
I can't think of another car club that has stressed the tracking of their cars to the extent that SAAC does.
Actually, I know one that only wishes they had. CORVETTE. They are now trying to set up a competition car registry. But, just think of how hard it is going to be to accomplish a fraction of what SAAC has done since the mid 1970's.
Hinesight is truly 20/20

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"

Last edited by CSX 4027; 11-01-2007 at 09:28 PM..
Old 11-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

I have no comment.

...but feel compelled to share the press release.

Quote:
Las Vegas - October 31, 2007 - The legendary Carroll Shelby is creating a new community for enthusiasts of the cars built by his companies. Based in Dearborn, Michigan, “Team Shelby,” is the only club officially recognized by the factory for all vehicles built by Shelby, including 2006 and newer Shelby based Mustangs. The club will officially launch on January 11, 2008, which is Mr. Shelby's 85th birthday.

“People have asked me for years to form a club that will help them really enjoy their Shelby car,” said Carroll Shelby, Founder and CEO of Shelby Automobiles. “There's a new generation of cars, new faces at Shelby and people who want to enjoy their vehicle in new ways. The world has changed over the past 42 years, so we need a club to meet the needs of this new generation. We want to knit together those people with owners of early Shelbys and give everyone new ways to have fun with their high performance vehicle.”

Mr. Shelby imagined a place where owners could talk about their latest conquests at the track, swap E.T's and learn new ways to hot rod their cars. He wanted to link all of those enthusiasts into one “dream garage” populated with Super Snakes, Hertz cars, Cobra's, supercharged Shelby GT's, Mustang GT's with Shelby performance parts, Series 1's, GLH's, Vipers and GT500's. Thus, Team Shelby was born.

“We're experts at creating winning teams by combining our strengths with those of others who have unique talents and skills,” said Amy Boylan, president of Shelby Automobiles. “So we took the same approach to create Team Shelby. It didn't make sense for us to form and operate a club on our own, so we looked for a partner who was a true enthusiast and capable of creating an organization that would give all its members real value. That led us to the S197 Shelby Owners Association.”

Robert Lane and Sharon Elliot founded the S197 Shelby Owners Association in early 2007. After meeting with Boylan, they evolved their organization into Team Shelby (www.TeamShelby.com). It is designed and engineered by real enthusiasts inside and out of Shelby. And just as the Shelby team relies on the latest technology to build their cars and products, Team Shelby will be at the forefront of the latest innovations.

“We're developing a Web site with member only areas that have videos, forums, podcasts, exclusive news and insights straight from the factory,” added Robert Lane. “And we're planning simulcasts briefings with Carroll and other key Shelby execs through the site. Plus, we'll invite Ford and other Shelby partners to communicate with our club members through it. This will enhance the sense of community and give team members the first crack at Shelby news, products and events.”

Team Shelby is not a “virtual club” the group will design and distribute a quarterly e-newsletter and is planning a full compliment of events such as tours of the Ford and Shelby facilities, a 40th anniversary GT500KR reunion, track days, Hertz reunion and other events. Membership includes official Shelby gear and an opportunity to learn more about the development of cars. Anyone can join Team Shelby on line for only $49.95 and receive benefits including:

• First news on all of the products and vehicles coming out of Shelby
• Exclusive access to members only areas of the Club web site
• Quarterly club publication
• Official Team Shelby T-shirt
• Two official club decals
• Shelby Commemorative magazine
• Shelby Key chain
• Two official membership cards
• Shelby Performance Parts catalog and discount on all parts

While interest in current generation Shelbys cars was the foundation for the club, ownership of a Shelby is not required to be a member. The club is dedicated to serving all Shelby enthusiasts past and present including those that own cars built in the 1960's and non-Ford powered vehicles.

“We built Team Shelby for anyone who is passionate about Shelby cars,” added Carroll Shelby. “I'm member #001 and anyone who wants to have fun should join, whether or not they own a Shelby car. I'd love to see GT500's on the track with the high strung GLH's and limited edition Series 1 cars. We'll have a blast and we'll do it the Shelby way.”

About Shelby Automobiles
Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby Automobiles, Inc., manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company manufactures authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles. The company has partnered with Ford Motor Company to build the Shelby GT, Shelby GT500 and Shelby GT-H, which are based on the current Mustang. For more information about Shelby Automobiles, visit www.shelbyautos.com.
...and truly believe that Mr. Shelby said or imagined none of what is quoted.

Last edited by computerworks; 11-01-2007 at 07:26 PM..
Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just $49.95 to join! And you don't even have to have a Shelby!

Do you get a decoder ring?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin
Just $49.95 to join! And you don't even have to have a Shelby!

Do you get a decoder ring?
Chappy,
If you want the decoder ring it's an extra $20.00.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
and truly believe that Mr. Shelby said or imagined none of what is quoted.

I will telll you this, those who know Carroll know his feeling and what he wants not a release or quote go outwwithout him reading it.

Amy
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The club formerly known as SAAC is only $39.95 per year. I guess the T-shirts that I've bought over the past 25 years are now collector's items just like Barbies.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

I guess I might know the answer to this but "I gots to know"

Will the new Team Shelby have a place for replicas to join in on the fun?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Boy that didn't take long...

See I told you. The GLHs will be parked next to the R-Models and FIA COBRAs for all to see. Gee - if you're one of those GLH owners I think the value of your car just went up 10K. On the other hand, if you own the R-Model you might feel kind like you just kissed your sister...