28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Whether anyone agrees,disagrees, has other opinions, etc., etc., with the direction being taken by Caroll Shelby, Amy deserves credit for actively participating in the Club Cobra Forum and this Thread. May either like or dislike the answers, but at a minimum there is a response. Better than reading a published article with someone elses interpretation of what is or is not happening.

In most other Corporate situations of this nature, the replies for a Q & A would have been very carefully worded over an extended time period by the Public Affairs/Relations staff of experts and then sent to Legal for their approval. In the end, the reply might not have any correlation to the original question. Some would even recommend no reply hoping the question is dropped.

Those that have been the " A " point person in a real time Town Hall Q & A environment, especially on controversial subjects with a variety of opinions, can relate to the challenge.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:58 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra
Ah, yes. What if I had a business venture. And there was some "club" out there that essentially is like free advertising to my company. Maybe that "club" is really a business and their "members" are really customers to that club, but those customers are actually funding the free advertising for my business venture. What if there are 2 guys that run the club and might split the profits from their company that are probably less than 200k per year. Now lets say that I hire another company with part of my advertising budget that costs me 200k per year to essentially run another "club". Should I upset the first company that provides me with free advertising and cut them out of the picture so they cannot get the 200k that provides my free advertising?

I guess it might come down to, do I trust the "club" that provides my essentially free advertising that is not really under my control? If I don't trust them to do what I want, maybe I should try to stop them. But then again I might alienate some of the "members" that were happy customers to the "club" and you know what, those "members" are also my potential customers that I might be alienating.
If I may quote myself...

I think a made a bit of a bad analogy here.

My post sort of implies that SAAC was a business that promoted Shelby sort of independent of Shelby. But the SAAC and Shelby businesses have had business relationships with each other for a long time. We just don't know what the details of those arrangements were.

From some of the posts that I have seen, I was getting the impression that some people here think that SAI is going after SAAC's revenue, much like SAI is going after other replica manufacturers for not having a license for making vehicles that look like Cobras. I don't think that is the case. Unlike the replica makers, SAAC was licensed by Shelby. Amy has said that the license is not being renewed. Not only was SAAC licensed, if you go back in time prior to the current SAI, I believe SAAC used to be Shelby's licensing organization.

I believe Amy when she says SAI is not doing this for the money. I suspect that if SAI could get all of the SAAC members into the new club, SAI might be able to pay 2 or 3 employees with their increased revenue, but those people would have to do all of the same things that SAAC does and SAAC uses volunteers to do many things. However, it looks like SAI has outsourced TeamShelby. So I guess the new club has to find enough volunteers to make the situation work for them.

Maybe this is just what Amy mentioned earlier about some arguments between SAI and SAAC, and now SAI is cutting loose a long time business partner.

I'm sure that without the Shelby license, SAAC will continue, but will need to make some changes, probably like changing the logo so it is no longer a cobra badge, and perhaps the registry name will change from "Shelby American World Registry" to "SAAC World Registry". Maybe the t-shirts will not have cobras or shelby mustangs on them anymore. With that being the case, it actually seems like SAI is perhaps a bit foolish in not renewing SAAC's license as SAAC will continue to make money off of their members, their convention, t-shirts, posters, etc. and we'll all know that SAAC is still a Shelby enthusiasts club. Why not renew the license and get some percentage of the money that SAAC makes, however small that is.

Perhaps SAI and SAAC just cannot get along anymore. I doubt we'll ever know what the real reasons are behind this.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1967 GT 350 #2264
Not Ranked     

I believe once this gets ironed out, SAAC and Team Shelby will do nothing but help one another advance to higher levels than ever before. One needs the other to grow as much as the other needs the endorsement to survive. Business 1-0-1 states that somewhere! lets talk about the positive aspects of how that could happen!
Old 11-03-2007, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The $mart thing to do would to burry the hatchet, embrace ALL replicas. Imagine the influx of 10,000 + members
Old 11-03-2007, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe
A lot of the consternation comes from a lack of understanding of what SAAC truly is (IMHO). It IS and WAS a club set up and run by guys with an fervent PASSION for the 'true' Shelby-American cars. I think the club made errors is expanding to the late model vehicles (Dodges, Series 1, non 2-3000 CSX and late Mustangs) because they did not have the PASSION for those cars. This is the root of the lamented 'elitism', again only IMHO. I see owners show up with cars (a lot of clones fall here) and expect to be treated as the owner of an original and that is just not going to happen around a bunch of guys who have carried their passion (and SHELBY) on their back for 30+ years.
427sharpe, you are certainly correct about the nature of SAAC. It should be for owners of originals. Period. As the owner of a fake (Superformance), I should not be a member.

The problem is that on one hand Shelby, his lawyers and branders want to go to war with the anyone associated with the replicas, yet they troll around here and other places frequented by their supporters hoping to get our support for their next great thing. Hey, we can buy club memberships, shirts, hats, decoder rings and other trinkets of the brand, and they will have a smile on their face while they take our money. All the while they have a lawsuit against the manufacturers of our cars.

I love the originals, wish I owned one and am sort of envious of those who do. But trolls like Amy B who come here to put the smiley face on should get lost. Amy, go make a club or something out of owners of originals and leave us alone. See how much money you make from those few good people.

In my opinion the manufacturers like Kirkham, Superformance, ERA, Factory Five and others are responsible for the current popularity Ol' Shel enjoys. It is not the handful of original owners. Not big enough for critical mass. But instead of welcoming them, they are targets of lawsuits.

Also, in my opinion owners of fakes are more delighted customers than those who have purchased authentic Shelby "branded" cars in the last 30 years. Check out the current thread about Unique and their Eleanors. Or the dying guy who bought a one of Ol' Shel's continuation cars and had to wait until he was almost dead to get it. On and on...

Jack
Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra
If I may quote myself...

Perhaps SAI and SAAC just cannot get along anymore. I doubt we'll ever know what the real reasons are behind this.
Having trouble resisting... Must not quote my own post that quotes another one of my posts...

Unless of course, I don't argue with myself this time. Hmm, ... that might be OK.

Just need to say it before Bill does.

Only "da bunnies" know.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjack
.... But trolls like Amy B who come here to put the smiley face on should get lost. Amy, go make a club or something out of owners of originals and leave us alone. See how much money you make from those few good people.
Jack...you've missed so many points of this thread. But, that's OK.

But, Amy is no troll here and you are out of line insinuating that. As a "mover" in the Cobra community, she is welcomed here, regardless of the message.

Just leave it at that.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bruce
The $mart thing to do would to burry the hatchet, embrace ALL replicas. Imagine the influx of 10,000 + members
You can't expect SAAC to embrace all replicas, because the club's purpose is for the support and history of Shelby cars.

HOWEVER, a club started by Shelby, COULD embrace all brands of replicas. As the creator of the Cobra, Shelby could start a "COBRA" club, who's intent is to get ALL Cobra owners together as one. A national Cobra club would be a hit. I also feel that a national Cobra club, as started by Shelby, would help to relieve a lot of the tension between "brand ownership".

BTW, I know a thing or two about car clubs, I founded the National Lightning Owners Club in 1996 (nloc.net).

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
427sharpe, you are certainly correct about the nature of SAAC. It should be for owners of originals. Period. As the owner of a fake (Superformance), I should not be a member.

Jack
I think you are suggesting that SAAC become something that it has never been, nor does it plan on being.

SAAC is an ethusiasts club. Owning a Shelby car is not required. If you don't want to belong, don't join.

I had not been to a convention in years, but went to the one at VIR a couple of summers ago. It's cool for me to see so many nice cars there, originals and replicas included. It was also cool to see the vintage race with Dick Smith out there. I was busy trying to get some pictures while I was there because my wife and small children were getting bored. I did not get a chance to talk to many people while rushing thru, but I did not really experience the elitist attitude. I was taking some pictures of CSX3003 and CSX3035 at one point and someone there was having a conversation with my 3 year old son. He was probably the owner of CSX3003.

I'm glad SAAC does not exclude me, as I don't own a Shelby car and I don't even own a replica (well, not yet).
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

'quote'
HOWEVER, a club started by Shelby, COULD embrace all brands of replicas. As the creator of the Cobra, Shelby could start a "COBRA" club, who's intent is to get ALL Cobra owners together as one. A national Cobra club would be a hit. I also feel that a national Cobra club, as started by Shelby, would help to relieve a lot of the tension between "brand ownership".

Now that's about the smartest thing I've read in this thread since yesterday.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Another point on the future direction, from the December Road & Track article regarding the 2008 Shelby GT500 Super Snake:

" ........modifications are completed either at Shelby Automobiles' Las Vegas headquarters or the factory approved modification center at Tasca Ford in Providence RI

I think Tasca Ford is the same organization that was popular in years past for it's Ford drag racing cars
Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...not so much part of the club talk...

Tasca was named a Mod Shop by SA, and more to follow, they say.

Up until now, if you want a GT500 "SuperSnake", you have to buy the base car from a Ford dealer and then send it to LV for the upgrades.

This just sanctions Tasca to be a "mod" center on the East Coast for these upgrades.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
...not so much part of the club talk...

Tasca was named a Mod Shop by SA, and more to follow, they say.

Up until now, if you want a GT500 "SuperSnake", you have to buy the base car from a Ford dealer and then send it to LV for the upgrades.

This just sanctions Tasca to be a "mod" center on the East Coast for these upgrades.
More are already following.

From the news page on shelbyautos.com:

NEWS RELEASE: Shelby Automobiles, Inc. has chosen Quantum Performance as its third Mod Shop location to build high performance versions of current generation Shelby and Ford Mustangs for enthusiasts in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. Quantum Performance will open the "Southwest Shelby Mod Shop" at a dedicated facility in the Dallas suburb of Farmers Branch, Texas, during November 2007.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aluminum SPF #SPA0001 ,round tube frame, with a shelby 484 CID AL engine,68 GT 500 KR , 4 spd with factory air
Not Ranked     

Amy ,

SAI has handled this poorly and you know it and this is not the first time, YOU are hear to see how badly this is being taken. Why is it SAI has grand plans and always screws someone? NO you don't like to hear it , but it's true.I know you , have listened to the promises and still can't understand why this company is run this way.
John T
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Guys, Thank you for at least giving me a chance to answer and the fairness you have shown.

Bill S, I responded that way because I am in the middle of this and your first post to me was a shot. How did you expect me to respond? Good people also need to be part of a team, and again, your email to me was accusatory. By the way, Carroll is anything but a "rubber stamper" he come to vegas often, he drives every car we build, he is part of every new project, there is nothing getting built or done without his decision. Board posting is a tough way to communicate, you could have done better, to tell me how talented you are.

To the rest, As a reminder, I did tell BobG about SAAc, The Letters, the correspondance was between licensing and Carroll, I am in the middle because of the new club. The new club was always designed with the cobra 4000, the gt500 and newer cars in mind, but I worded the press release to include eveyone as I never want to exclude anyone. The new club is being done very differently from SAAc, although it will have a registry, as I have all the info on the new cars. This club will except and celebrate all who join. I never assumed or thought I could replace the years of dedicated employees who have kept the registry of vintage vehicles. As SAI, we want to offer more and do more for our buyers and community of members most of which I communicate online with. We think Shelby should offer more. More events,track days,rally's , more magazines , newsletters by email and information. More expose to the company and Carroll. It was never meant to replace any fan sites or organizations.

I have been talking to many people the last 2 days, ultimately it will be Carroll's decision on how this is resolved if at all. I hope this doesn't go 22 pages

Thank you again

Amy

Last edited by amy B; 11-03-2007 at 05:26 PM..
Old 11-03-2007, 05:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy B
Bill S, I responded that way because I am in the middle of this and your first post to me was a shot. How did you expect me to respond? Good people also need to be part of a team, and again, your email to me was accusatory.

Amy

UUuuhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm,

What email to you, as I have not sent any? As for me selling myself to SAI, at this point in time, I think not.

Again I wish you well, for after all, friendship is one thing, but for SAI, business is business.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-03-2007, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang
UUuuhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm,

What email to you, as I have not sent any? As for me selling myself to SAI, at this point in time, I think not.

Again I wish you well, for after all, friendship is one thing, but for SAI, business is business.

Bill S.
Bill, I meant "post". I agree, friendship is friendship, and business is business, I don't think we can do either

Amy
Old 11-03-2007, 05:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy B
Bill, I meant "post". I agree, friendship is friendship, and business is business, I don't think we can do either

Amy
If that is how SAI Corporate feels, that works for me. You don't mind if I forward off your comments to "a few of my friends", do you?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-03-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Amy B.

If you want to make a few friends and gain respect, how about posting something over on the "Unique Performance is gone" thread about how Shelby is going to make whole those who lost money trying to get a car with the Shelby imprimitur?

I read that Shelby associated himself with the project. Then disassociated himself when things went south. Is that right?

Jack
Old 11-03-2007, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Amy B.

If you want to make a few friends and gain respect, how about posting something over on the "Unique Performance is gone" thread about how Shelby is going to make whole those who lost money trying to get a car with the Shelby imprimitur?

I read that Shelby associated himself with the project. Then disassociated himself when things went south. Is that right?

Jack

Jack, the unique thing is a license, I dont know enough to comment on it. I do know that Carroll has always played the same role as with all licensee's. A license is not a partnership, it's not a day to day relationship, in fact a license is exactly opposite that. It's a means to use a name to do business under certain guidelines. I am sure that Shelby Licensing and it's president is working on this.

Amy

Last edited by amy B; 11-03-2007 at 06:41 PM..