21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
While I can't disagree with anything you've said, and nor do I think Patrick needs the support, but IF you are being honest, he makes a valid point here, merely offering the other side of the coin.
Having read Bill's posts, both here and on our local board, for a good ten years or more, I can attest to his kind heart and passionate stance.

Of course, what I actually believe matters not. Nor does it matter that 90% of the men on this forum have, at least one time in their life, driven an automobile with a BAC over the legal limit.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Of course, what I actually believe matters not. Nor does it matter that 90% of the men on this forum have, at least one time in their life, driven an automobile with a BAC over the legal limit.

I've no tolerance for people mistaking "negligence" for "accidents".
...and less again for people who knowingly and actively blur the truth!

Our John here has tried both, and with it taken the life of someone's child, granddaughter, cousin, friend, possibly even wife, and/or mother.
Which can NOT be undone!

While I don't exonerate her responsibility in this (ie: her choice to get in the car), it could easily have been your child, daughter, wife, mother that he careered into at the next intersection.

--
Just on your post - I've been told that 90% of stats are made up?
Can you reference yours please.

Last edited by Dimis; 03-04-2015 at 04:10 PM..
Old 03-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Just on your post - I've been told that 90% of stats are made up? Can you reference yours please.
Anecdotal, from State Troopers, of whom we have more than a few on this board. But I tend to believe it. I also believe "alcohol awareness" is much higher now than it was 30 years ago -- so maybe that figure is on the decline. Another "trooper anecdote" is that it's the amateur drunk who is the most dangerous.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

If I were in ffr's shoes right now, I would be preparing myself for a product liability lawsuit. They'll be caught in the civil suit net that lawyers always throw out there. You can bet your driving shoes this asshole is going to claim a shock broke (or some other critical part) and that's what caused the accident. A good lawyer will grab that cobra carcass and have it dissected and analysed every which way to see if they could possibly blame FFR for this accident. Or at least drum up reasonable doubt. And the shock breakage on early Bilsteins is well documented in ffr's forum.

Hope this twit's lawyers don't read this or the FFR forum.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
If I were in ffr's shoes...
People have accidents all the time; fatal ones, too. And the reality of today's criminal justice system is that you don't have to show that the blood alcohol content caused the accident. The end result is that you could go to jail for an accident, because you were intoxicated, when, in reality, the alcohol had nothing to do at all in causing the accident itself. It was just your "status" at the time it all happened.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I don't think the best lawyer will be able to cover up the BAC in this kids report. He'll be very lucky if he is only charged with second degree murder.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 03-04-2015, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
If I were in ffr's shoes right now, I would be preparing myself for a product liability lawsuit. They'll be caught in the civil suit net that lawyers always throw out there. You can bet your driving shoes this asshole is going to claim a shock broke (or some other critical part) and that's what caused the accident. A good lawyer will grab that cobra carcass and have it dissected and analysed every which way to see if they could possibly blame FFR for this accident. Or at least drum up reasonable doubt. And the shock breakage on early Bilsteins is well documented in ffr's forum.

Hope this twit's lawyers don't read this or the FFR forum.
That car way predates the Bilstins, however, I have often wondered how it will work out when a kit car manufacturer puts out a car with zero passenger rollover protection and someone sues. With a good lawyer I think it's a win.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
I don't think the best lawyer will be able to cover up the BAC in this kids report. He'll be very lucky if he is only charged with second degree murder.
A little devil's advocate. FFR was aware of the need for passenger rollover protection as evidenced by their offering the option. FFR sells the kit with a passenger seat and belts, but no rollbar. Even FFR makes it clear that the car isn't intended as an exact reproduction, so the "not on an original" argument is not valid. FFR has widely publicized a video of one of the company owners rolling one of their cars, so they are quite obviously aware of the potential. The list goes on...

EDIT: Not intending to pick on FFR, the same applies to pretty much all cobras built since 1970.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To my knowledge, Arizona law requires seat belts for the passenger in the front seat only. There is no mention of rollover protection that I am aware of. Subsequently, I don't believe that argument would have any standing in a court of law as regards the manufacturer. A good prosecutor will hang the driver for being under the influence and for being unable to keep his vehicle "under sufficient control to avoid endangering or damaging, persons or property", which is required by Arizona statute.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
In the Old West Days, they would look at something like this and just say "Get a Rope".
They almost still do that in Texas, thank God.
Made that exact comment about this incident today with my buddy.

Also, if there's one thing I've learned from Clint Eastwood it's if you're gonna lynch someone you make sure you finish the job.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Old 03-05-2015, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
To my knowledge, Arizona law requires seat belts for the passenger in the front seat only. There is no mention of rollover protection that I am aware of. Subsequently, I don't believe that argument would have any standing in a court of law as regards the manufacturer. A good prosecutor will hang the driver for being under the influence and for being unable to keep his vehicle "under sufficient control to avoid endangering or damaging, persons or property", which is required by Arizona statute.
Did Arizona pass some sort of tort reform that I was unaware of? Are you contending that civil liability requires some sort of code violation to have standing?

Wile one could legitimately contend that the passenger shares some liability with the driver in regards to the driver's criminal behavior, alleging the same for faulty design and construction would be a much taller order.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not.discussing civil liability as.that frequently defies logic. I am speaking strictly of criminal liability.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 03-05-2015, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the internet....
Old 03-05-2015, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

"I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on the internet"

Love you man!
Maricopa likes this.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as civil liability goes, you can sue anybody for anything. That said, I am sure this isn't FFR's first rodeo as far as safety is concerned. I would think FFR's first line of defense is they furnish a kit to builder who then determines what is required to finish the car. Furthernore, since it is a kit, it doesn't fall under any safety requirements of Federal Law. It is up to the builder to determine what safety equipment is installed.

As far as the driver goes, he is in deep ca ca. This should a strong reminder to a lot of us, taking fast cars to a place where you consume alcohol is not a good thing. I know a number of people out there have driven and been over the legal limit, just sayin'. Don't be that guy.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Saw this in another article:

"Staff at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center said Wilson's blood-alcohol content was 0.148 percent, nearly double the state's legal limit of 0.08 percent."

Larry
To help put this into perspective: According to this web-base BAC calculator (www.bloodalcoholcalculator.org), I would need to drink 8 beers in 1 hour to blow a 0.146. That's a lot.

IMO, this punk's actions were 100% criminal and he deserves to be severely punished. His grossly negligent actions have ruined the lives of two families, his own and the victim's.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Wouldn't a lot of the liability for the vehicle rest on the inspecting and titling department of the state where it is titled/registered???????

side note-----Revell has a 25 million liability on the model kits of my race car-------

And statement about he was running 60-70 mph and went 100 feet off road and thru fence--------that's like multiplying apples x oranges to get pears divided by banans to get pineapples minus lemons to get limes????????
Old 03-05-2015, 08:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In the 30 +years I've been following this hobby, I don't ever remember a suit being filed against a Cobra manufacturer because someone got hurt and claimed it was because the car itself was bad/dangerous/crappy, etc. It's bound to have happened somewhere, sometime... I've just never seen it and, had I, I would most certainly remember it.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I believe that one of the many reasons the manufacturers sell the cars as "rollers" is that it is then just considered a "part". What you do with that part after you purchase it is up to you.