Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: F5 Roadster
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Cobra Crash This Morning !

Hi *We met the 20 Phoenix cobra's on I 60 and followed them out onto the freeway on our goldwing.* We were to meet up with the Tucson cobras in Superior and continue from there to the car show in Globe.* Just after merging onto the freeway (Perry and I at the back of the pack on the wing) something went very wrong and Stuart (sorry, don't know his last name) hit his brakes and swerved to miss another car and ended up "flying" through the median, over the guard cables, hitting the west bound lanes, and as his tires were now flat and the steering locked, turning back into the median.* His car came to a rest under the guard cables with the cables pinning him by the neck.We ran to him and I thought for sure he was dead as his eyes were open and he was not breathing or moving.* Perry jumped into the car to try to pull the cables off his throat and myself and three others pushed the car back - it moved about 2 inches, enough to open his airway a bit to let him breath.* He started breathing and coughing up blood.* We suspect he has several internal injuries and a smashed up hand.* Don't know if he will lose a finger or two.* We sure hope he will be all right - he is alive and was talking to us before the ambulance arrived.The cobras that were in the front had turned around and pulled up on the other side of the freeway to help - an SUV ran into the back of one and pushed it into the side of another.* Three snakes out of commission this day - no one was in the parked cobras, so no more injuries.I'm sure there will be more accounts of this posted - I know I won't be able to forget it for a while - I also know Perry and I and the three or four others who initially pushed and pulled saved Stuart's life and we can feel good about that - We both really hope to see him up and around very soon and wish him the best and a speedy recovery!Bev
Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

Holy crap!

I hope all the injuries are relatively minor!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Talking is a good sign.

Good Luck Stewart and we'll all be hoping for a speedy recovery.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 347, 462 hp, 4 barrel
Not Ranked     

Our thought and prayers will be with him.

Lee
Old 04-12-2008, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 FFR MKII STROKER 514
Not Ranked     

Wow Everyone, I Was Supposed To Be On That Trip But Had To Work, I Hope That He Is Ok And That A Great Day Turned Out Like It Did.
Stuart If You Read This I Hope You Are Doing Well And Look Forward To Seeing You Back On The Road!!!

Jim.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, CCX3209 is history. I think Jeff's car will survive. I'll post some photos in a while. RIP CCX 3209!

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 05-29-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Old 04-12-2008, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Geez!
Talking is definately good! Hope he is OK.
Did someone "get a rope" for the SUV driver?!
Larry
Old 04-12-2008, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hope he's ok. Hats off to you guys that got to him quickly. Bummer about the cars but they can be replaced.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

I heard from Mikie.
Stuart P. is scheduled for surgery later today but not sure if more than his hand is issue. Mike was coming back to town and was still a ways out. I see Dan's post about his car being totaled but I also heard Jeff's was a total, Dan was there and saw it and thinks repairable so some good news. My thoughts are with you all and if I can help in any way let me know. 602 402 8504. Jeff C
Dan, just glad you and Jeff are OK
Old 04-12-2008, 01:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Are you guys referring to "Tan Man" Stuart?

We are so sorry to hear about this, our thoughts are with him and we wish him a speedy recovery. We always call him Tan Man at the Bash...
Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

OK,

Here is what I know... Ginny talked to the hospital where they took Stuart. Very limited info forth coming... Hippa rules. He is under observation and was scheduled for surgery later today. Yes, it is a good sign that Stuart was alert. As soon as I find out more info I'll pass it along.

Phil and Dan.. Sorry about your cars. Glad I went ahead to alert the Tucson gang as I was parked right behind you 2. Sorry for the DPS officer's car as it was also hit by the lady that was in a hurry.

Another Cobra sustained damage today. Rickie's hit a large rock on the side pipe and cracked the glass near the cutouts.

Duane.. Yes the same Stuart.

A special thanks to Bev, Perry, Lyle and Brandon and others. Stuart owes you lunch.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 04-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

wow! God bless him and ya'll...
how quickly things turn from great fun to great fright.
My prayers are with Stuart, and yes, please keep us posted.
sincerely,
kristen
Old 04-12-2008, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF136 427FE
Not Ranked     

Poor Dan's car was sandwiched between the RAV4 and my SPF.
His took most of the impact receiving massive rear and front damage.
His car is totaled. Don't know the final extent of the damage to mine untill
it gets put on a lift but the rt rear tire was not vertical, instead, top was tilted in.
Stuart was in shock after the accident and kept trying to get out of his car.
The first responders were there by the grace of God or Stuart would not be here anymore. When Dan and I arrived at the scene we were able to help get the cables moved enough to allow Stuart to free himself from them.

Fortunately for Dan and me, we were not in ours when the lady in the RAV4 skidded, and then slammed into Dans' beautiful CCX. Once again, another lucky moment. One woman seemingly not paying attention wrecked her car, 2 Cobras and damaged a DPS vehicle.

only good thing noticed about this accident scene was noticing how well the RAV4 held up in the crash.

This was the first AZCOBRA outing I have been able to attend in several months and now it seems it was the last one for awhile. If we had not parked our cars in the median and got out to help, this woman would have plowed into the emergency crews that were there helping out Stuart. I'm sure Dan would agree that sacrificing our autos is a small price to pay to have saved the rescuers from being run over.

My thoughts are with Stuart and hope for a speedy recovery.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2008, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Car builder/restorer FFR
Not Ranked     

Hi guy's, I'm glad that the injuries weren't worse.
Dan. I'm really sorry to see your car like that. Please let me know if you need any help with anything.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

When the time for Stuart to go home I am available to pick him up and take him home. I am sure others will offer too. Mike was saying his family relatives are not in town. Anyway just in case I will make myself available. Stuart was sure lucky today. Must have had a angel in the car with him. Great response from the guys that got there quick! Jo said that could have been anyone of us. Let all of us know if we can send anything to him at the hospital and / or go see him if he will be there for some time.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

GOOD NEWS....................

Ginny just talked to Stuart. He is doin as fine as as could be expected.

It appears that there was an Accident right in front of him, causing him to jam on his brakes. He recalls going into the median and then lost control of his car. He has cuts, lacerations on his hand, black eye and 2 broken fingers.

They are scheduling surgery on him tonight. And possibly a second one tomorrow.

Thats all for now.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 04-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Thanks be to God and prayers for Stuart and all the others....Sounds like a few Cobras gave their lives for the first responders; a sad but good trade!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Scary, scary. Glad to hear that things didn't turn worse... such as the possible head on collision.

Here's a wish for brief surgery, a speedy recovery, and back in the saddle again soon for all involved.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Now I'm glad the tranny was leaking and laying on the garage floor. I wanted to be there but glad I wasn't. Dan, let me know if I can help in any way.
"Thanks be to God and prayers for Stuart and all the others....Sounds like a few Cobras gave their lives for the first responders; a sad but good trade!"
Well said.
John

John
Old 04-12-2008, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR from Levy Racing 302 FI w/Edelbrock Performer heads
Not Ranked     

I haven't seen so many old guys move so fast to get to Stuart and help. Great job was done by all that helped probably close to 10 guys. Many of us called 911, thank goodness for cell phones. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Stuart. Dan and Jeff, thank goodness you are safe, can't say the same for your cars. Where did you have them taken? Lunch was delicious thanks to Carl's suggestion. Speaking of Carl, on the return home before we reached Superior, a flashing light pulled Carl to the side of the road. What happened next? This was a lousy day for Cobra people!
Judy

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes. Finally got around to going to the VA.
Closed Thread