Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DE Type Cobra Ford Windsor 302, 5lt fuel injected. Ford front and rear. 9" lsd.
Not Ranked     
Question Roll Bars

I hope someone can shed some light here, I have just heard today that having just one roll bar hoop on the drivers side only may be a roadworthy issue here in Queensland. Is this correct or is my roadworthy inspector pulling my leg.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

News to me Damo.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I am pretty sure that there are no ADR's that relate to roll bars.

Certainly no issues in NSW.

Ben
Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Yeah I think he is trying one on you. I asked my Eng in VIC and he said no ADR for this. He pointed me to a lot of examples of open top cars without rollbars, such as MX5 etc. Also, my mate has a BMW Z4 and those things behind the seats that resemble something like a rollbar felt like plastic to me, i.e. just for show.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My engineer told me the same, no requirement in Qld.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Ha Ha Ha ! Here in the police state NSW. My engineer told me to register my cobra without a windscreen to beat spectral gloss, demister, and wiper issues ( to beat emissions changes deadline) The dude at the blue slip inspection said "You need a roll-bar and a windscreen and wipers and a demister" I told him to ring my engineer but he insisted on ringing the RTA.
The RTA had recently relegated their inspectors to advisory positions and given their jobs to 'garages'. When this pea-nut rang the RTA "advisor" that bloke abused him so loudly I could hear it on the phone against the p-nuts ear ! I enjoyed that moment.
Basically you don't need a roll-bar in an open/convertible car. Take Mazdas and MGs for example. Good luck with the rego.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just went through engineering in Vic - no issues with roll bars - not required. Also bonnet handles weren't commented on so I guess they're OK. The engineer did say that there is some pressure from VICROADS for builders to supply photo's of the build. They are suspicious that some kit builders who are building turn-keys are actually circumventing regs regarding vehicle manufacturering.
Another glitch for Vic builders is that in addition to the normal engineering inspection you are also required to pass an emmission test - IM240. The only facility in Vic that conducts this test is VIPAC. The process takes about 2 hours and requires the car to be run on a dyno at various speeds in different gears for set periods of time while the emmissions are checked. If you are successful then a certificate is issued which you goes to your engineer to present to VICROADS with the rest of the paperwork.
Building an ICV just gets better all he time..........Oh I forgot to mention the test costs about $500.

Peter
Old 04-08-2010, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter,

Did they make you do the test?

Up here the IM240 test is 240 seconds long and is free. I was in and out in 30 mins.

You would want to pass first go if it is $500 down there!

Cheers,

Ben
Old 04-08-2010, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecal View Post
I just went through engineering in Vic
Hey Peter, congrats on getting through engineering, you kept that one a bit quiet.

I assume you sorted your front brake problem - what was it in the end?

Rgds

Gregg
Old 04-08-2010, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ben,

The test is compulsory, I'm booked in next week. Hey Ben you should know that nothing is free in Vic.
Greg
After 4 weeks of frigging around with the brake system it turned out to be a faulty master cylinder. A port had not been drilled properly. Swapped the master cylinder and all was well.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hope the test goes well Greg.

Make sure you get your cats as hot as possible!

Ben
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Damo, I got a safety cert on mine yesterday (in qld), it has only a drivers rollbar and it was fine, never got a mention. -Andy
Old 04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecal View Post
The test is compulsory, I'm booked in next week.
Good luck with that Peter. I thought if we presented the car as a VZ/VE with factory bits that no testing was necessary. I bet Holden aren't paying $500 to test every Commodore that comes off the line.

Out of interest, what spring rates are in your car and how do you find it on the road?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

One year ford forgot to fit cats to one model of their falcons, so they put them toward the end of the exhaust system (totally useless there) As far as the ADR's were concerned that met the rules. That definately would NOT pass emmissions testing.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

What?????

Lots of repairs, changes, mods are made to any model before and after release, but I really don't think they would have ever forgot to fit cats.
I might be wrong, but I reckon there would be at least a couple of design staff responsible for emmissions testing....