Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Wow,

Not fun at all.

Just remember that if these guys are going to that much trouble to ruin our hobby they will probably be reading these forums too.....

Ben
Not only can they read them, it appears that they can close them down too.

Baz
Old 05-29-2010, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

They closed the Forum? Is that true? Free speech is a basis of our democracy. Also such inspection procedures need to be open to scrutiny and accountable

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
They closed the Forum? Is that true? Free speech is a basis of our democracy. Also such inspection procedures need to be open to scrutiny and accountable
Not really Merv... Just my weird sense of humour which I need at this time.

Baz
Old 05-29-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
....Only in QLD!!!!.........HELLO McFLY..

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Baz,
Thanks for the invite. Mate's rates are always welcome.
I have the best time every time I go to Australia. I look forward to coming up to the northside and visit several Mates up there.
You ever get out Texas way Baz, you got a place to stay as long as you're here. My brother and I are building my new house and it is a month or so from being finished. I built on a nice shed too. It's 9X9 meters with a lavatory.

Hersh
Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Mc Fly is is! I had an idea that they may have contacted the moderator and ... well complained.

At least this thread has united the those with police force/service histories among us!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Wow - looks like I might move to Qld. As big a PITA as it all seems Baz it doesnt look like there is anything there that is not workable. Keep your chin up mate - a few more dollars and a bit more time will see you out of trouble I reckon.

Anyone ventured to any of the clubman forums to see if they are having similar issues - surely a few of the "140" would come from there as well.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Baz, As far as I know the RMC rack has long been approved and accepted as long as it was stamped with an RMC number.

Keep your chin up mate and remember these low level bureaucrats can be beaten at their own game.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Baz, As far as I know the RMC rack has long been approved and accepted as long as it was stamped with an RMC number.

Keep your chin up mate and remember these low level bureaucrats can be beaten at their own game.
Thanks Les,

As I have said earlier, I have emailed RMC for further particulars. You state that:- " As far as I know the RMC rack has long been approved and accepted as long as it was stamped with an RMC number." Can you find out WHO approved and accepted it and let me know please?

Thanks

Baz
Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Baz, far as I know if you purchased a steering rack from RMC it should have an RMC number.

All my RMC sourced stuff has. Steering box, shortened rear lower arms and driveshafts, shortened and re-splined steering column etc..

I have within the last 30 minutes been under a mates RMC and checked his steering rack. His is also numbered.

Having said that. When I purchased mine an engineer called Jaime (can't remember surname) was the certifying signatory within the RMC organization. He was employed full time by RMC and he also tested and signed off on all the chassis tests they once conducted.

I don't know if it still applies but RMC in those days were an approved chassis test facility in WA.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thirdly I have emailed GM Head Office to establish and chase down the company who built the original VC Commodore steering racks. When this is forthcoming I will request that Company to supply me with details of the load, twist and torsion tests performed on the original VC racks, how the tests were performed and what were the results.
Baz i would try and get some answers from the inspector about specifically what testing they need. You might find they are interested in the durability of the modification rather than the initial performance (eg fatigue, corrosion resistance etc).

It might be worth just locating a mob that shorten steering racks (who have ADR approval) and getting a price from them to shorten another one. VC commodore racks arnt going to be overly expensive and depending on the method of shortening, it probably wont be that expensive. I know there are a few VC's at pick and payless at the moment.

Paying for specialized testing to be carried may be exy and it may require destructive testing. Also to have another shortened could probably be organised and completed in just a few days. For the sake of $500 or so its probably worth saving the hassle of chasing a manufacturer from the early 80's.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I forgot to mention Baz. I think G-Force use the same steering rack, so maybe worth chatting to them also.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Baz,

I dont suppose they gave you a copy of their checklist? Would be helpful for others.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

Baz two 12 volt Hair Dryers will fix the hot air on the demisters thats what I did with mine the pulled them out. When I received the engineers report it was listed as not needed
Old 05-30-2010, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Baz,

I dont suppose they gave you a copy of their checklist? Would be helpful for others.
Liam,

It was protected like gold. Sorry. I'm going to have a good look at my rack tomorrow and hopefully, I might find an 'E' number on it as suggested by Rebel 1. That'll stuff em.

Baz
Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Baz, talk with Les on the phone, I dont think your rack will be marked with an "E", I read his post as it should be stamped with a number? maybe part number by the supplier.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-460 View Post
Baz two 12 volt Hair Dryers will fix the hot air on the demisters thats what I did with mine the pulled them out. When I received the engineers report it was listed as not needed
Thanks AC460,

Where have you been man. Long time since we heard from you. It's great to have you back. Your suggestion is added to the list of possibilites. I'll put it in just above "Cut your wrists" In other words, it's one of my 'Last Resort' measures. Thanks for your help.

Incidentally, did you have a soft top on when inspected? If there is no top then demisters aren't required. That's how I would have gone in only that day, it was pissing down and I had to wear the top and side curtains.

Baz
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Free speech is a basis of our democracy.
C'mon Merv,
Have a laugh at yourself!!!!!!
Seriously being an offshore Website how do you think this NANNY state could censor it...Common sense!!...sorry!!
And yes their processes are open for scrutiny they just need to be challenged at some point to make them accountable!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-30-2010, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Baz, talk with Les on the phone, I dont think your rack will be marked with an "E", I read his post as it should be stamped with a number? maybe part number by the supplier.
Dave,

I have sent an email to RMC. Hopefully will have a satisfactory reply back soon.

Baz
Old 05-30-2010, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
If there is no top then demisters aren't required.
Baz, if the vehicle is designed to have a soft top then you need demisters. So if your Cobra has soft top mounts, it definitely needs a demister. You could also see the valid point in that all cars with a windscreen fitted, needs a demister regardless of whether a roof will be fitted. That's the way I look at it without even getting into the regulations.

I've actually owned Cobra's where we have used the 12v hairdryers and they have been reliable through hours and hours of constant use and many years of vehicle ownership. Surprising. Having a functional demister might actually save you a great deal of distress and could help safety wise if you get caught out by poor weather, especially when you are far from home. I've driven through days of bad weather on interstate trips to club events in a Cobra.

Contact RMC about the shortened rack. They have been doing it basically since day dot on their Cobra's. I know the RMC I had did not have any markings on the rack, so no way to prove without an invoice it was actually shortened by them and also no way to prove the quality and safety of work performed.

The chassis numbers are unfortunately a valid point. They have got to be correct, it's unfortunate, but they need to be 100% accurate on all documentation. Same goes for all the identification numbers. How unlucky can you get that the peole involved swapped the number about.

Sounds like a terrible ordeal even before you got to the inspection station.

I'm really not sure what the deal is with that (140) number of fails. There are a lot of unfortunately very ordinary ICV builds out there. That number will not include well built Cobra replicas. It's not just first inspection failures is it?

It's not unusual to fail an inspection the first time, I actually tell people to expect it. You can be tripped up on the smallest requirements. And the inspections can sometimes find valid safety concerns that you might be very glad were identified early.

As you are doing, just get stuck into correcting the required items and you will have your Cobra street registered before you know it. Keep your chin up mate. Good luck with it.

Last edited by 400TT; 05-30-2010 at 02:24 AM..