Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default If your up for Rego in NSW - Read this.

Yesterday being 27/5/10 was probably the worst day I have experienced in 3 years.

I finally had to present my car for inspection by the RTA at 10.30am in the Inspection Station at Botany near Sydney Airport. The papers were originally faxed to the RTA on 23/3/10. At this point, I must say that the most enjoyable part of the day was the drive in and the drive out, even though it was pounring down on the way in. The rest of the day was really depressing.

The day started off in the negative as it was pissing down so I had to christen my new soft top and side curtains which I have never put on the car before. That took me about 1 hour to install as the trimmer had fitted medium sized zippers and placed the joining points near the doors instead of installing large zipppers and placing the connecting points near the windscreen. A few years ago, I had a total shoulder replacement on the right side, and after installing the side curtains from the outside, I realised that I couldn't get into the car without opening the door and crawling under the side curtains into the cockpit whilst the side curtins were installed. That has now been resovled as the trimmer has agreed to replace the zippers with a large style and place the points where they clip onto the roof near the windscreen. He used a smaller zipper so they wouldn't push out on the top rear corner. After trying to connect the zips, I don't care how much they push out, as long as I can erect the hood and side curtains in under 30 minutes.

The 40 minute drive into the RTA was great. The rain came down in buckets and I only had a tiny leak on both sides of the windscreen which didn't overflow onto the floor. In that 40 minutes, I would have driven through about 4 inches of rain so I am happy with the result.

During my trip in, I was challenged by at least half a dozen f**ck wits, most displaying red P plates. Would you believe, there was one young Learner displaying L plates who also offered the challenge in his grey Mitsubishi Lancer. He then dropped the biggest burnout when he took off from the lights as he performed a right hand turn. I felt like belting him to teach him a lesson for the future.

He wasn't the only one I felt like belting that day.

I arrived at the Inspection Station at 10.30am and would you believe, left at 3.45pm. 5 Hours of intensive inspection with no stop for lunch.

The Inspection ranged from pulling lamp covers off to ensure that they had 'E' numbers endorsed, Inspectors indicating a desire to contact manufacturers to check on the validity of a reversing light 'compliance', even though I had the packet it came in to show them that it was was endorsed with the fact that it complied with the relevant ADR, to taking door trims off to measure and photograph the side intrusion bars. They even measured the width of the VC Commodore steering rack and established that it had been shortened 100mm. This was done by RMC whom I purchased it from. They now require the results of the Engineering tests which prove that the rack is safe and compliant.

A couple of other issues that I know of at this time are:-

The Demister didn't push hot air onto the windscreen.

The high mounted stop light was partially obscurred by the lower edge of the soft top window when viewed from around 8 metres to the rear in a crouching position. The high level stop light is mounted on the the body, behind the roll bars and inside the soft top.

Unfortunately, I had to have the roof on to drive in, as the rain was so intense.

If I went in as as a topless roadster, these two issues wouldn't have applied.

A word of warning here and some good advice:-

Under the relevant ADR, if the car hasn't got a soft or hard top on and never will have, (read between the lines) it doesn't need a demister. If it does, it needs one.

The only reason that I presented with the roof on was that it was pouring cats and dogs. I would never take my Cobra out in such weather and I doubt if I will ever use my soft top and side curtains again, except in emergencies. It was just my pathetic luck that I had to take it for inspection on a day that dumped millions of gallons of water on Sydney.

It looks like now that I will have to remove the consul and dash then work out some way whereby I can connect the heater, which is installed, to the dash vents, which are also installed. A lot of work for something I will never use.

Another issue they had was is the rear mounts where the seats bolt through the floor. Even though the front mounts go through the chassis rail, the rear ones just go through the sheet metal floor and have steel plates mounted on the underside, prior to the nut and washer, The floor plate which they are mounted to is tack welded onto the chassis. They feel that in the event of a major crash, the rear seat mounts will peel the floor away from the chassis. They now require a sub frame member to be fitted, either by welding or bolting to the chassis. The rear seat bolts can then be mounted through this bracing bar.

I was informed by the Inspector that during the past 12 months, they have inspected 140 ICV's and not one of them has passed their inspection. After my experience, I have no doubt that he is telling me the truth in that regard. Give the man an Order of Australia Medal for his efforts in that regard.

The report they use is 21 pages long. When they finish that, they compare their responses with that shown on the Engineers Report. If there are any discrepancies, the Engineer will receive a spray.

E.G. My chassis No had the Nos., followed the the letters RMC. On the Engineers Report, he had shown the RMC in front of the numbers. This was taken really seriously by the Inspector who indicated that it could lead to a prosecution against the Engineer. Similar action could also be taken against the mechanic who issued the Non Complying Blue Slip. Fair dickum. Give me a go here.

It is obvious that they don't want ICV's on the road. If you are coming up for inspection, ensure that you have an ample supply of Panadeine Forte on hand as I can gaurantee that you will experience some of the worse migraines imaginable. Mine are that bad at times, I am sure that I have a major brain tumor.

The results of my Inspection will now be assessed by RTA engineers and I will be notiifed within 2weeks of what modifications I have to perform or what tests I have to have conducted.

I have been reliably informed that today they had a 3 hour meeting relating specifically to my car between the Inspectors and the Engineers to discuss the results of yesterday's inspection. One of the Inspectors even visited Spare Parts retailers to measure and compare sizes of components on my car to that of original parts.

I hope this thread will assist those who follow behind me. Updates will follow. Believe me.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 05-28-2010 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Additional Info.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

My god, I feel for you baz. Have others in nsw had similar experiences?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Wow that's harsh. Keep your chin up, get the list and attend to each item one by one. Re-present and get your rego.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Spellcheck says RTA is RAT. Man that's ridiculous. The engineers report is the final word. The engineer is more qualified than the RTA inspector. Maybe the old tale is true...A bloke built a hotrod, an engineer passed it, the bloke crashed, the bloke sued the engineer, the engineer sued the RTA. Good luck with the next phase.
Rob.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Baz i cant imagine how you are feeling tonight!

Ok... calm breaths.

If thats all it is, i dont see it as that bad. Welding a subframe in is pretty simple, the only problem is it stuffs the paint on the chassis (ok thats a big problem if its as nice as yours).

With the demister, is there any reason why you cant run some flexible rubber pipe from the vents to the windscreen? As long as it doesnt obstruct the gauges or controls i dont see how they can knock it back. Could you imagine the look on their faces! and easy to undo.

How was the steering rack shortened? With mine they just cut down the shaft where the tie rod screws on and rethreaded it (so i was told). If thats the case its a simple visual inspection and measurement of the height of the thread.

Keep us up dated.

Last edited by Zedn; 10-15-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Words fail me Baz ... What an awful experience.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
My god, I feel for you baz. Have others in nsw had similar experiences?
There was not long ago; lock up brake tests at 160 kph...why would you require that ? They changed it to 100 kph.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

f%&k me. i havent even got my body and chassis yet. Should i just cancel the whole dream....?
Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

So I have a couple of questions for you Baz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
...The Demister didn't push hot air onto the windscreen.

The high mounted stop light was partially obscurred by the lower edge of the soft top window when viewed from around 8 metres to the rear in a crouching position. The high level stop light is mounted on the the body, behind the roll bars and inside the soft top

....etc
have you considered permanently removing the top and windscreen?

Are you considering taking your car on a trailer next time?

Quote:
The Inspection ranged from :
  • pulling lamp covers off to ensure that they had 'E' numbers
  • Inspectors indicating a desire to contact manufacturers to check on the validity of a reversing light 'compliance', even though I had the packet
  • taking door trims off to measure and photograph the side intrusion bars. measured the width of the VC Commodore steering rack - now require the results of the Engineering tests which prove that the rack is safe and compliant.

Another issue they had was is the rear mounts where the seats bolt through the floor.

They feel that in the event of a major crash, the rear seat mounts will peel the floor away from the chassis. They now require a sub frame member to be fitted, either by welding or bolting to the chassis. The rear seat bolts can then be mounted through this bracing bar.
How pi$$ed are you ?
Presumably the engineering qualifications of the inspectors meet or exceed those of your engineer
Is there any scope or limit on the inspectors role in the governing legislation
Apparently NSW has an Administrative Decisions Tribunal.
As a former public servant you would have previously encountered minor fiefdoms and be aware that sometimes a third party is required to get the correct application of the rules.

Quote:
I arrived at the Inspection Station at 10.30am and would you believe, left at 3.45pm. 5 Hours of intensive inspection with no stop for lunch.

I have been reliably informed that today they had a 3 hour meeting relating specifically to my car between the Inspectors and the Engineers to discuss the results of yesterday's inspection. One of the Inspectors even visited Spare Parts retailers to measure and compare sizes of components on my car to that of original parts.
This smells like a set-up ....

**Press Release : Kit Cars cost RTA $25,000 to register
Figures release from the RTA today under Freedom of Information show that the average cost to register a kit car is

Good luck over the coming weeks

LoBelly
Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Actually, I think that a factual letter to the Minister for Transport and Opposition spokesperson (with a copy to the SMH), detailing the multiple and wasteful levels of operation in the process and the 140 vehicles inspected, with none passed. This really indicates that the people involved are power seized or that they have been instructed to act this way. Either way, the value of this industry and the costs to individuals suggests that this is not natural justice. Obviously get the car registered first! Then write accordingly. Even a magazine article naming and shaming the RTA would help.

Very cathartic for you at any rate Baz! Now do the next thing that they want, and the next ...

Take care

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Man Baz, talk about pissin' in your corn flakes!
Are these guys from Mars? I'm a retired cop and it seems to me they have no sense of juries prudence at all. I'm sorry but common sense has to fall in here some where.
Merv and Sharon are right, This really indicates that the people involved are power seized.
I have to admit that you sure took this well and still had not a bad word for those clowns that supposedly "helped you".

It appears that trying to fight is would be tuggin' on Superman's cap. I hope you get it done the next go.

Hersh
Old 05-29-2010, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Did they shut down the Forum as punishment?

My Forum has been down since Friday. It occurred just after Liam posted his thread. Makes you wonder.

At any rate, here's what's going to happen.

I've notified my Engineer and he has told me that open sports cars dont need demisters. No more soft top...Also resolves the obscurred high mount stop light problem.

Bolt a brace across the chassis rails to secure the rear seat mounts to... Problem solved.

And now the rack. Amazing what a few nights restless sleep does. My initial reaction was to remove the rack and have it tested for load, twist and torsion. Hold on... There's a better way. I have sent a few emails.

The first was to a reputable Steering Rack manufacturer to establish what tests they do on modified and un-modified racks.

The next was to Westfield Sports Cars in WA who have bought out RMC. Bradley from Westfields has been outstanding over the past couple of months, chasing down and sending me torsion and beaming test results on the RMC chassis and details on the Side Intrusion Bars which were also required by the RTA. Hopefully they will be able to source this data from the Engineer who tested all the other components but is now based in Adelaide.

Thirdly I have emailed GM Head Office to establish and chase down the company who built the original VC Commodore steering racks. When this is forthcoming I will request that Company to supply me with details of the load, twist and torsion tests performed on the original VC racks, how the tests were performed and what were the results.

My thinking is that a rack shortened by 100mm will be stronger than one 100mm longer.

The results of my emails will be interesting in the least and will form a major portion of my Appeal to the Administrative Decisions Tribunal.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. We will win in the end.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 05-29-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Old 05-29-2010, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT SNAKE View Post
Man Baz, talk about pissin' in your corn flakes!
Are these guys from Mars? I'm a retired cop and it seems to me they have no sense of juries prudence at all. I'm sorry but common sense has to fall in here some where.
Merv and Sharon are right, This really indicates that the people involved are power seized.
I have to admit that you sure took this well and still had not a bad word for those clowns that supposedly "helped you".

It appears that trying to fight is would be tuggin' on Superman's cap. I hope you get it done the next go.

Hersh
Thanks Hershal,

From one retired cop to another. I appreciate your thoughts. I wanted to meet you when you were out with bernie, but it never did eventuate. Maybe next time and we will swap some war stories.

Baz
Old 05-29-2010, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Maybe start butterin some palms

Paul McPherson, the former manager of the RTA's Botany office and driving instructor Komate Jaturawong were charged after an investigation by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).

The District Court heard McPherson gave people the answers to their L-plate licence test and also tipped-off drivers who were sitting for P-plate and heavy vehicle licences.

He has been jailed for up to three years, after pleading guilty to receiving rewards for corruption and misconduct in a public office.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Baz, You can count on it. I will be there next year for Phillip Island at least. It will be my pleasure Mate to buy the first round.
That Bernie character was a copper too you know.
Bernie and I are supposed to plan a trip up the eastside coast and visit all those Cobra and GT nuts up that way as we go.

Hersh
Old 05-29-2010, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Wow,

Not fun at all.

Just remember that if these guys are going to that much trouble to ruin our hobby they will probably be reading these forums too.....

Ben
Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Baz,
I feel for you this is disgraceful.

I am sure the day will come when you are screwing the plates on.

It is almost better not to register the car, the fines and penalities would be much easier to cop than this rubish.

Phil
Old 05-29-2010, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In some ways, I hope authorities do read this Forum, at times like this. Coming from a police "service" it must be especially galling for you to see this overzealous use of regulatory power by the RTA. There needs to be a clean out of those guys to remove procedural bias that seems central to their operation.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
In some ways, I hope authorities do read this Forum, at times like this. Coming from a police "service" it must be especially galling for you to see this overzealous use of regulatory power by the RTA. There needs to be a clean out of those guys to remove procedural bias that seems central to their operation.
DITTO TO THAT.......let the Federal minister MR.Albenese take a look at the length his overzealous representatives go to on a daily basis!!!!...
From all reports in Victoria when they formed their mobile enforcement group they actually had to employ from outside due to the lack of QUALIFIED Inspectors,so it would not be an unreasonable request to see the qualifications of the inspector.
All engineers and there businesses must display appropriate certification so let's see them boys
.....I'd like to take legal representation with me if I were to have to do what Baz is going through .....I'm sure they're whole demeanour would change and their BULLY-ISH attitude would be curbed sum what.....knowing that their processes were being MONITORED and scrutinised.....
Just a thought VIDEO THE WHOLE inspection....
It would be a worth while exercise in my way of thinking....I'm available for a small fee and you get a copy of the days event although i reckon your inspection would only be around 1 Hr now!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT SNAKE View Post
Baz, You can count on it. I will be there next year for Phillip Island at least. It will be my pleasure Mate to buy the first round.
That Bernie character was a copper too you know.
Bernie and I are supposed to plan a trip up the eastside coast and visit all those Cobra and GT nuts up that way as we go.

Hersh
I am aware that Bernie was a whalloper in an earlier life. I think he was the one that organised us to get half price Maca's. Would that be right Bernie?

By the way Hersh, there's always room at my place for you and Bernie whilst you'r in Sydney town.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 05-29-2010 at 06:11 PM..