Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Baz, talk with Les on the phone, I dont think your rack will be marked with an "E", I read his post as it should be stamped with a number? maybe part number by the supplier.
Exactly, there is no "E" number. It must be an RMC number that proves they did the shortening or at least approved the standard of work.

My number, stamped in large letters on top of the cast end adjacent to the steering input shaft is RMC854.

The build manual (dates back to the Anaconda days) also says in the parts list that the rack, steering column, and rear shortened diff bits MUST be sourced from RMC and are stamped and numbered.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

OZ: "Merv - ... Have a laugh at yourself"

I did OZ - you must have missed it - above ("Mc Fly it is! I had an idea that they may have contacted the moderator and ... well complained. At least this thread has united the those with police force/service histories among us)."

Enough of "common sense" included for a guy working (not on cars unfortunately) today

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Exactly, there is no "E" number. It must be an RMC number that proves they did the shortening or at least approved the standard of work.

My number, stamped in large letters on top of the cast end adjacent to the steering input shaft is RMC854.

The build manual (dates back to the Anaconda days) also says in the parts list that the rack, steering column, and rear shortened diff bits MUST be sourced from RMC and are stamped and numbered
Unless RMC have ADR approval, the numbers will mean didely squat. I imagine it will be the same as brake lines where the shop has an ADR certificate that approves them to do the work.

I expect thats what the RTA will require.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Sorry Merv ,

Couldn't hear you laughing over all the noise of me kickin heads in my steel caps....Sorry no NINJA boots on these feet!!
PS ...hope you had a good day !!!

OZ

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-30-2010, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Baz

Not good news. Hope you have more luck once the number of items identified have been done.

Here hoping they don't find more..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-30-2010, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hershal

Hi mate. Yes we have a few problems over here with presenting out cars.

Good to hear that you are thinking about the Phillip Island Classics next year. Glad to have you over.

We will do the east coast up to Sydney etc. for sure..

Mmmm two old Armed Robbery Squad and Homicide cops together on a road trip - some stories no doubt. Make those Underbelly characters look like kids..

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Unless RMC have ADR approval, the numbers will mean didely squat. I imagine it will be the same as brake lines where the shop has an ADR certificate that approves them to do the work.

I expect thats what the RTA will require.
The RTA could be satisfied if the rack had testing documentation or there is certification documentation to prove the shortening process did not result in the modified rack having less strength and reliability than the original rack. That's what would concern me and I expect that will also concern Baz now it has been pointed out.

I expect no one here uses a matching steering rack and column where the original ADR approval really means anything. Normally there are modifications made to the column shaft lengths, the angle of the column shaft and joints, the location of the rack & column mounts, non-matching rack to column, mount types used etc. Then you should also have calculations for amount of load being put through the steering assembly from tyres and suspension compared to the original donor vehicle with it's largest optional sized wheels and tyres.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
The RTA could be satisfied if the rack had testing documentation or there is certification documentation to prove the shortening process did not result in the modified rack having less strength and reliability than the original rack. That's what would concern me and I expect that will also concern Baz now it has been pointed out.

I expect no one here uses a matching steering rack and column where the original ADR approval really means anything. Normally there are modifications made to the column shaft lengths, the angle of the column shaft and joints, the location of the rack & column mounts, non-matching rack to column, mount types used etc. Then you should also have calculations for amount of load being put through the steering assembly from tyres and suspension compared to the original donor vehicle with it's largest optional sized wheels and tyres.
Thanks Craig,

You have made some interesting and correct points and I take them on board. All I can do now is wait for a reply from RMC.

Baz
Old 05-30-2010, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bludy hell.....

Good luck, just fix what they want it doesn't sound like a show stopper.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Baz I've read this horror story twice. I didn't believe it the first time! What a bloody-minded bunch of a...holes these jerks must be. And to scoff that they've rejected over 140 cars at their original presentation! You can bet that not one of them has ever put the research and time and money and sheer effort and passion into building anything remotely as difficult as a Cobra.

I really feel for you. It may be of small comfort to you at this time, but I would imagine that your recent and unfortunately on-going experience will send a clear warning to others who are to follow, that they should avoid the Botany test centre like the plague! What you've copped is just ridiculous and is quite obviously the result of a twisted agenda that these pricks have instigated as some sort of power trip--nothing less!

I hope you start to see some light at the end of the tunnel soon, and that you have the fortitude and persistence to beat them at their own game; just keep complying with whatever lame requests they keep coming up with until their stupidity is exhausted and they are forced to approve your car.

Stay strong mate, and good luck. I have no doubt the entire Oz Cobra community is firmly behind you on this one.

Don.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
Baz I've read this horror story twice. I didn't believe it the first time! What a bloody-minded bunch of a...holes these jerks must be. And to scoff that they've rejected over 140 cars at their original presentation! You can bet that not one of them has ever put the research and time and money and sheer effort and passion into building anything remotely as difficult as a Cobra.

I really feel for you. It may be of small comfort to you at this time, but I would imagine that your recent and unfortunately on-going experience will send a clear warning to others who are to follow, that they should avoid the Botany test centre like the plague! What you've copped is just ridiculous and is quite obviously the result of a twisted agenda that these pricks have instigated as some sort of power trip--nothing less!

I hope you start to see some light at the end of the tunnel soon, and that you have the fortitude and persistence to beat them at their own game; just keep complying with whatever lame requests they keep coming up with until their stupidity is exhausted and they are forced to approve your car.

Stay strong mate, and good luck. I have no doubt the entire Oz Cobra community is firmly behind you on this one.

Don.

Thanks Don,

One thing I forgot to mention too, is that ran the tape over all the car. They measured from headlight centre to headlight centre, headlight edge to body extremity, meaured the side indicator distance from the door opening to the middle of the lense and the middle of that lense to the headlamps. They even measured the rim widths.

Unfortunately, if your anywhere in NSW you will probably get the same Inspectors as there are only a couple of them and they work out of an office at Parramatta.

I promise I'll be strong. I've already started to fix up a few of the 'discrepancies' that were pointed out last Thursday.

Baz
Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I've notified my Engineer and he has told me that open sports cars dont need demisters.
Baz
Baz, the local agent for one of the Lotus 7 kits told us for this rule to be applied there has to be no means of attaching a roof.

You may need to fill in the slot on the top of your windscreen frame if you take this route.

Dave
Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I think you have had some good feedback and support on this Baz. It is a horror story, however, and is a case study of what can happen. It should form the basis of a good letter to the RTA and Ministry - once you're registered however!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Illegitimi non carborundum

...or move to WA
Old 05-31-2010, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

So jccraigau

Are you telling Baz to not let the bastards grind him down or f&@* the system?

Or both?

For Baz it's more a case of -

Nullae satisfactionis potiri non possum. - as sung by the Lapides Provolventes

Hang in there Baz the satisfaction will eventually be great!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keep ya chin up Baz.....

SpookyPT
Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

I was going with the first one, but latin is not my strong suit. Sounds like poor 'ol Baz could use them both though...
Old 05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Truth be told, the Latin class I found myself in at secondary school was by accident as I think I should have been in a visual arts type class instead.

So to easily summarise my real knowledge of latin.

About all I can vaguely recall is Laborum Laboras Laborat - "to labour", presumably with different Grandma inflections!!

My English Grandma is pretty stunted too!! No where near as bad as Venom's though - lol

As for you Baz

Lapides Provolventes are the Rolling Stones singing I ain't got no satisfaction (yet)!

But it will come.

Cheers
Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Baz,

I dont suppose they gave you a copy of their checklist? Would be helpful for others.
Your wish is my command. Look what I found:-

Google 'Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14.'

Click on VSB 14 - 9th June, 2009.

Scroll down and click onto VSB14.

Scroll down to NCOP10A (14 pages) & NCOP10B(10 pages) and there you have what to expect when you are inspected by the RTA in NSW.

I have found a few more surprises for my antagonists. Can't say too much, but I'm feeling quite good at this point in time.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 06-01-2010 at 02:22 AM..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
Baz, the local agent for one of the Lotus 7 kits told us for this rule to be applied there has to be no means of attaching a roof.

You may need to fill in the slot on the top of your windscreen frame if you take this route.

Dave
Dave the roof has been sold and the remaining tenax fasteners are to secure my tonneau cover. As far as that issue is concerned, it's all over red rover.

Baz