Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Nice work Baz,

Have any ICVs been passed recently?

Phil
Old 06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
Nice work Baz,

Have any ICVs been passed recently?

Phil
Not that I know of Phil. Talking to a Clubman owner the other day and he has been knocked back on over 50 issues. He thought he would get through first up too.

Baz
Old 06-23-2010, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: drb,5.4 ltr,jag f/r
Not Ranked     

seems they are cracking down on the engineers rather than the cars, 1 guy from newcastle has had his licence revoked and under investigation and another close by
hopefully mine isnt one of the guys they are looking at
Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss290cobra View Post
seems they are cracking down on the engineers rather than the cars, 1 guy from newcastle has had his licence revoked and under investigation and another close by
hopefully mine isnt one of the guys they are looking at
Any idea as to why these engineers are having trouble?

Not checking ?
Looking the other way ?
False paperwork?

I had heard the story that a couple were in some strife, but didn't have any idea as to what they were in trouble for !?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Any idea as to why these engineers are having trouble?
It must be tough to be an engineer in this environment. It seems that the National Code of Practice is reasonably clear for ICV's, but mods to existing cars must be a minefield if you were an engineer.

How would you interpret the following if a customer came in looking for an LG modification code for their street car. The NCOP states "All work must be performed in accordance with recognised engineering standards. Cutting, heating, welding or bending of components should be avoided by choosing unmodified production components wherever possible."
Does that mean the owner can cut, heat, weld and bend to their heart's content (within "recognised engineering standards") if it wasn't possible to source bolt-on parts???
Old 06-24-2010, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
It must be tough to be an engineer in this environment. It seems that the National Code of Practice is reasonably clear for ICV's, but mods to existing cars must be a minefield if you were an engineer.

How would you interpret the following if a customer came in looking for an LG modification code for their street car. The NCOP states "All work must be performed in accordance with recognised engineering standards. Cutting, heating, welding or bending of components should be avoided by choosing unmodified production components wherever possible."
Does that mean the owner can cut, heat, weld and bend to their heart's content (within "recognised engineering standards") if it wasn't possible to source bolt-on parts???
Yep.......as long as the engineered std's of the original part can be replicated or enhanced and be performed by a suitably "QUALIFIED"person.

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-29-2010, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default My Non Compliance Report finally arrived.

After 4 weeks of waiting, my Non Compliance Report was emailed to my Engineer and a copy sent to me. I am publishing this on the Forum for the information of those in NSW who are currently building an ICV and will be shortly having an RTA Inspection:-

ADR 3. Head restraint locking system not fitted to left and right front seat head restraints.

ADR 8. Side wind deflectors left and right - No standard markings.

ADR 11. Padded Sunvisors and mountings - Sharp edges.

ADR 13. Rear reflectors fitted to right and left sides are rectangular.

ADR 13. Directional indicator defective lamp telltale inoperative.

ADR 13. Centre high mount stop light was not visible - With roof attached.

ADR 21. Padded surface on instrument panel was not securely attached.

ADR 31. Components sourced from several different make and model vehicles -Provide all details.

ADR 42. Wiring at Battery isolation switch cables not secured at 600mm intervals.

ADR 42. Wiring harness directly above left engine pipe at rear of engine not located to prevent overheating damage.

ADR 42. Sharp edges at Sun Visor mountings.

ADR 42. Sharp edges at upper corners of windscreen at roof attachment points.

ADR 42. Sharp edges at switches located left of steering column.

ADR 42. Rear bumper bar ends were not turned towards the body of the vehicle.

ADR 42. Front wheels and tyres protrude from mudguards.

ADR 42. Standards markings not clearly legible on brake hoses.

ADR 42. Windscreen demister not fitted.

ADR 42. Tyre placard fitted to vehicle showed incorrect information.

ADR 43. Insufficient running clearance.

ADR 47. Triangular Rear reflectors fitted.

ADR 60. Centre high mounted stop lamp bulb replacement not possible without the use of special tools.

ADR 79. Both the inner and outer fuel filler caps are vented to atmosphere.

Other - Extensively Modified steering rack and adjustable tie rods. - Not included in Certificate.

Other - Fabricated steering intermediate shaft and universal joints between column and steering rack. - Not included in Certificate.

Other - Jaguar XJ front suspension major components are missing or replaced with unknown aftermarket items. - Not included in Certificate.

Other - Jaguar XJ rear suspension major components are missing or replaced with unknown aftermarket items. - Not included in Certificate.

No 'E' marking on Reversing Lamp.

No 'Unleaded Fuel Only' label fitted near the fuel cap.

In addition, the RTA requires my Engineer to :-

Supply further details in relation to all components utilised in the steering and suspension system, and include all modifications and all test results as per COP requirements.

Supply all test data for seat belt anchorages.

Supply test data for calibration of speedomenter at all required speeds.

Full ADR 31 testing required for brakes. master cyclinder and booster.

Explain the anomalies, errors or ommissions described in Certificate. Registration of the vehicle will be delayed until this matter is resolved.

Baz I love the RTA too Andrew.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Seems that you guys from NSW will have to become Queenslanders. That could have other benefits ....

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yeah we'll win origin 3 and the series
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

from what i was told they have been under the microscope for a while, i dont actually think it is or would be looking the other way but definatley not enough paperwork and clarification as to what is outlined in the ADR's, looks like the more paperwork and reports sent to RTA the less likely you will be gone over with a fine tooth comb,
Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Is it possible to ask for an official postion from the RTA on the state of play with ICVs.

That way you can play the game on the same field.

Phil
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Baz

On the demister I sort of did the same thing, though I pre-cut the tube and on the upside down body heated the pipe to follow and sit in position on the underdash.

Then I made a fibreglass mould off the pipe in position and plan to glue this fibreglass version into location when I know what space I have to play with. I still have to glass ends onto the arrangement and add a tube to attach the hose to but this is all simple stuff.

Have fun!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Wow - thats some list. Full ADR31 testing? what does that involve?

Last edited by Tenrocca; 06-30-2010 at 12:23 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Bluddy hell Baz.

This shows the total hyprocracy of authorities when allowing hot rods to drive on public roads with the exemptions from ADR's they enjoy.

I suppose they excuse it by saying hot rods have restricted registration.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Wow - thats some list. Full ADR31 testing? what does that involve?

BTW, I would say were f**ked.
Andrew,

I think they want us to re-do the Brake Test which won't be happening. Can't say too much here, but don't stand too close to the front of the fan if you know what I mean.

Baz
Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have to agree Ben, alot of it looks like stuff that engineer should have pointed out, I realise the testing is alot less strict up here, but I would expect even my engineer would have questioned alot of the items on that list.

Things like wheels poking from guards, miss match between tyres placard and tyres fitted, fuel vented to atmosphere (I am assuming charcoal canister non existant or not plumbed correctly), No E on reverse light.
Would have been pretty obvious items.
Also just remove screen and roof when presented for inspection would have addressed alot of the list.
I realise it was raining on the day and that is unfortunate timing, but with teh screen out then there would have been no option to fit the roof and a new inspection date or a covered transporter could have been used.

I am not having a crack at you Baz, but engineer is the one paid to check and advise you of all these options.

I would be chatting to him more than causing a hornets nest bun fight at the RTA.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Baz,

Wow thats a big list. I suppose the positive thing is that you have a definate list that you can start crossing off.

With the brake test, was that because it wasnt done at 160Kph?

Also was the jag suspension issues due to aftermarket shocks and springs or was there more to it?

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Baz,

Wow thats a big list. I suppose the positive thing is that you have a definate list that you can start crossing off.

With the brake test, was that because it wasnt done at 160Kph?

Also was the jag suspension issues due to aftermarket shocks and springs or was there more to it?

Cheers.
Liam,

I suppose this thread is of particularly interest to you because of where you are situated with your build. Some say that I was targeted because of this thread. Not so. This thread was started after I had my thorough 5 hour inspection.

Another Cobra owner who has gone before me and has posted on the NSW Cobra Club thread have had their Inspections completed in 2 hours. Mine was 5 hours. It is obvious that changes have been made in the Inspection protocol at the RTA. I will leave you to work out what the motives or objectives of those changes are, but they certainly don't benefit ICV builders. All I am saying, is don't express your feelings or sentiments on this Forum in open threads, only do so by PM's.

In answer to the Brake Test. The answer is a definate NO. The 160kph Brake test is out. Why they want Full ADR 31 Testing again is beyond me and is an issue that my Engineer will be discussing with the RTA hierachy.

Q re Jag Suspension:- In the front suspension, I have done away with the lower Jaguar A Arms as they had limited adjustment capabilities as far as a perfect wheel alignment is concerned. Instead, I installed lower arms from FFR in the USA which are far superior to the original Jag setup and provide for precise and full adjustment. SEE MY GALLERY. I can easily go backwards and fit lower Jaguar A arms, but I know this would be making the car far less safer.

I have fitted Spax Shocks and Eibach springs all round the car, doing away with the Jag setup. This is a far safer and better performing product than the original so I can't see their problem here.

Thanks for your support here Liam, I hope you have picked up a few tips. Don't forget that when you take youe car for Inspection, you don't go with a roof.

Baz
Old 06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Liam,

I suppose this thread is of particularly interest to you because of where you are situated with your build. Some say that I was targeted because of this thread. Not so. This thread was started after I had my thorough 5 hour inspection.

Another Cobra owner who has gone before me and has posted on the NSW Cobra Club thread have had their Inspections completed in 2 hours. Mine was 5 hours. It is obvious that changes have been made in the Inspection protocol at the RTA. I will leave you to work out what the motives or objectives of those changes are, but they certainly don't benefit ICV builders. All I am saying, is don't express your feelings or sentiments on this Forum in open threads, only do so by PM's.

In answer to the Brake Test. The answer is a definate NO. The 160kph Brake test is out. Why they want Full ADR 31 Testing again is beyond me and is an issue that my Engineer will be discussing with the RTA hierachy.

Q re Jag Suspension:- In the front suspension, I have done away with the lower Jaguar A Arms as they had limited adjustment capabilities as far as a perfect wheel alignment is concerned. Instead, I installed lower arms from FFR in the USA which are far superior to the original Jag setup and provide for precise and full adjustment. SEE MY GALLERY. I can easily go backwards and fit lower Jaguar A arms, but I know this would be making the car far less safer.

I have fitted Spax Shocks and Eibach springs all round the car, doing away with the Jag setup. This is a far safer and better performing product than the original so I can't see their problem here.

Thanks for your support here Liam, I hope you have picked up a few tips. Don't forget that when you take youe car for Inspection, you don't go with a roof.

Baz
I dont think you were targeted because of this thread, i think there is a lot of paranoia floating around.

I dont plan on fitting a roof at all at this stage, so shouldnt be a problem.

I have also been following a Clubbie on OZclubbies who is about to have an RTA inspection in the next couple of months so will be watching closely. The description of his brake test sounds the same as yours.

In regards to blame of RTA or Engineer that people are talking about, i think its important to just focus the energy on rectifying the problems identified. you have a great looking car and i am sure soon in enough it will be a great looking registered car.

If you need to borrow any standard Jag parts, you are welcome to use my control arms. Also if you want i can measure my front wheel offsets and you can borrow those if they fit.

Good luck with the Operation.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
I dont think you were targeted because of this thread, i think there is a lot of paranoia floating around.

I dont plan on fitting a roof at all at this stage, so shouldnt be a problem.

I have also been following a Clubbie on OZclubbies who is about to have an RTA inspection in the next couple of months so will be watching closely. The description of his brake test sounds the same as yours.

In regards to blame of RTA or Engineer that people are talking about, i think its important to just focus the energy on rectifying the problems identified. you have a great looking car and i am sure soon in enough it will be a great looking registered car.

If you need to borrow any standard Jag parts, you are welcome to use my control arms. Also if you want i can measure my front wheel offsets and you can borrow those if they fit.

Good luck with the Operation.
Thanks Liam,

Everythings under control. Hope to talk to you on the other side of the anaesthethic. The Cobra is one thing I don't have to worry about for the next 2 months at least.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 06-30-2010 at 03:22 AM..