Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Its not your friends sons car is it?
He's got girls, and they are too young for doof doof.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My cousin has a registered original chassis, original steel body 26 A model on a property near Broken Hill. Gossip around the Hot Rod circles is 'Nationally' they are all going to have to be re inspected........ alledgedly! He actually rang me last week to ask if I had heard if the cobra's / ICV's were going thru the same thing.. He said it's all talk at the moment but there are a few worried Hot Rodders out there... What is the world coming to!
Why are they picking on a small minority of people chasing / living their dreams?
Just my 2c worth....
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
Well guess what it is!!....Rego label is Visible on the right rear passenger window!!..

...Just to help VicRoads if they are watching....

Vehicle Registration: RATROD
VIN/Chassis Number: V975168P
Engine Number: V975167P
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Colour: BLACK.....well maybe BLACKY/BLUE..
Body Type: COUPE
Year of Manufacture: 1926

""The pictures are not proof of anything except the inability to make a cogent argument.""

It surely and blatantly shows the ridiculous liberties that certain sections of the Rodding community will apply to a vehicle that is road registered...... against the engineering that is considered when we are building our own cars!!!

""My general policy on threads like this is to deny them the oxygen of participation and hope they die.""

It's a good thing I know CPR and can once again BREATH life back into the thread...

"" who will have printouts of the rants from the usual suspects thrust under their noses at the next meeting - followed by the raised eyebrow and the 'look'....""WELL ADD THIS ONE TO MY FILE!!!!"""

LoBelly,
...With all of the positive Posts re; the SVGMA(sorry what's the NEW NAME????)... to date there is no and has been no public update as to the direction and progress of any submissions!!!

If this is part of the dedicated group you mention in Vic maybe be some update would be a help to keep people informed and in turn educate the RANTING RUBBLE that are apparently so destructive to the process!!...Mmmm the look!!!

the word game SUBVERSIVE.....
# insurgent: in opposition to a civil authority or government
# revolutionist: a radical supporter of political or social revolution

""So if you're not from this State and dont have a clue about what's going on here ""

Well I'm in Vic and don't have a clue of what is going on because there is no download of information to keep those affected buy the current process informed...apart from attending Club Meetings or events where the same venting rears its head !!!
There is NO reason for the process to stay indoors!!

M2CW

OZ...
Oz,

Doing your best to dob in someone else because they may be breaking the rules on a vintage car is a low act! How would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot?

Ben
Old 03-17-2011, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Oz,

Doing your best to dob in someone else because they may be breaking the rules on a vintage car is a low act! How would you feel if the shoe was on the other foot?

Ben
WTF .....Get real!!!!.....all available on a public forum and posted with pictures buy someone else!!!!

And if that car ran over your first born or any member of your family or friends because of that engineering!!!!.......... is THAT acceptable????????

And to REINFORCE it until you can understand the term TOUCHED BY THE ROAD TOLL
I will be vocal!!

I won't build a car and drive it on the road unless it is ROADWORTHY....Your most welcome too!!!!....Just don't hit anyone I know!!!!

If your going too add to this make it worthwhile....or COGENT..

OZ..

PS.... Next time you attend a Major Club Event or Car show I can GUARANTEE the appropriate authority has already been and noted any defective or suspect vehicle they are very active in this!! FACT!!!...

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 03-17-2011 at 10:58 PM..
Old 03-18-2011, 01:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sad state of affairs for potential Cobra owners...especially in NSW.

Personally...I dont want to do a build. Turnkey for me. I have seen 4 or 5 prime interstate examples...but not worth the hassle to get them rego'ed in NSW.

Other states shouldn't bury their heads in the sand either, because personally, I know how state govts work. You only have to look at the Australian Road Rules. Previously each state had a workable set of road rules which then was *****ed and bastardized because some TAFE educated bafoon wanting a promotion and dreamt up a set of road rules to comply across all of Australia. Result...confusion and failure. I would even say it cost a couple of lives. FACT. I can site the case.

We are churning out these bafoons daily.

Solution??? Nationwide public action I guess...but that is not in the Australian psyche, which is if it doesn't affect me...it doesn't matter.

My prediction...it will matter...to all states.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

Stopped in to organise my tailshaft today, the guy told me the local clubman supplier was no longer doing turnkey cars under the current regs, supplying kits and parts only
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Gents,

It's a mammoth thread, and I'm going to step back a couple of pages. From the department of Infrastructure's RVCS website, comes this little gem:

6.3 Replica: A vehicle that has a similar Make and/or Model name and/or the appearance of another Model in order to gain a marketing position based on that similarity. Typical examples are “AC Cobra”, “Lotus Seven” and “Jaguar XJ13”.

This gives you the opportunity to register as a low volume manufacturer and get federally legislated exemptions for one or two very insignificant things. But I'd advise you to read up on the circulars on the RVCS website / SEVS register website, they're surprisingly useful.

As for the UK IVA scheme, it ain't all roses, but at the same time, it is a lot more coherent than what we currently have in NSW. In fact, if you're diligent enough to review the UNECE regs that nearly all of the ADR's are equivalent to, you can all but use the IVA manual as a substitute for Australia. Find it on google, it makes a lot of stuff much easier to interpret than the legalese of the ADR's.

Treeve (Not quite english born, but close enough Baz!)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gents,

It's a mammoth thread, and I'm going to step back a couple of pages. From the department of Infrastructure's RVCS website, comes this little gem:

6.3 Replica: A vehicle that has a similar Make and/or Model name and/or the appearance of another Model in order to gain a marketing position based on that similarity. Typical examples are “AC Cobra”, “Lotus Seven” and “Jaguar XJ13”.

This gives you the opportunity to register as a low volume manufacturer and get federally legislated exemptions for one or two very insignificant things. But I'd advise you to read up on the circulars on the RVCS website / SEVS register website, they're surprisingly useful.

As for the UK IVA scheme, it ain't all roses, but at the same time, it is a lot more coherent than what we currently have in NSW. In fact, if you're diligent enough to review the UNECE regs that nearly all of the ADR's are equivalent to, you can all but use the IVA manual as a substitute for Australia. Find it on google, it makes a lot of stuff much easier to interpret than the legalese of the ADR's.

Treeve (Not quite english born, but close enough Baz!)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Treeve Is this the document you are refering to:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...20May%2009.pdf

Last edited by beauies; 04-27-2011 at 04:20 AM..
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G'day Beauies,

Yep, that's the one. The emissions stuff is completely irrelevant to Australia, but for headlight positioning, visibility angles, radius information, etc etc it is a great little bit of info. Certainly easier to understand than the ADR's.

Additionally, there is the SUTI form, which you can use (not searched the cobra forum yet to see if it's linked here or not). RVCS MENU Note: This form has been updated with VSB14, hoever not all states have accepted VSB14, and NSW is already looking for state specific additions to the National Code of Practise - less than 3 months after they agreed on it...

Treeve
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

I agree ten times easier to understand than the ADRs
Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Liam,

You have a PM
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauies View Post
I agree ten times easier to understand than the ADRs
Beauies,

Yes,
I have a brother in law in the UK just built a Lotus 7 replica.
He told me his rego check was a walk in the park, brake test done on a rolling road (similar to chassis dyno).....easy.
A guy with a Cobra went thru before of him, after hearing it he now wants to sell his clubman and build a cobra, couldn't get the sound of that V8 out of his head all the way home.

Dennis
Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G'day Strida,

Yes, it is a lot easier to register cars in the UK. That's where I'm from, and I can confirm it is a lot simpler. However - and this is a big one - the quality and safety of the cars built over here typically excede that of those in the UK. Lets face it, the brake tests here are a touch more extreme than I would have expected, and it should be possible to provide evidence / calculations that the balance is correct and the brakes have been used in more aggressive manners in their original installation, however registration authorities here won't accept that. The other end of the scale, the UK tests, prove that the brakes function; it does not demonstrate that they are effective.

The UK system has some shining lights with regards to using old emissions requirements if you can prove the age of the engine (easily done based on engine number and information from the manufacturer).

It also has some glaring ommissions: there is nothing like a beaming and torsion test - so you can put whatever you like into whatever chassis you can bodge together in your shed. This leads to some terrifying cars. Lets face it - I've got a TVR 4.0 V8 in a Dax Rush. Did I have to prove structural rigidity, or safety of the seatbelt mounts? No. Is this a good thing?

To be honest, I'd love to see the entire IVA system over here, it would make life so much simpler, but there are bits and pieces of the way it is done over here that I think are also more relevant than some of the UK system.

Just my thoughts - I'd welcome others to change my opinions.

Treeve
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I agree Treeve, i think the rta arnt that far off the mark, just need be a bit fairer with the expensive anchor tests by accepting calcs or fea and the steering column issue. I would be more than happy to install a 10/02 column if i could find one that didnt also have an airbag.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

That could take a long time in NSW .... before another Cobra is registered.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gents,

It's not all doom and gloom; there are ways and means of making things happen when your car is legally built to the standards. Unfortunately, what is becoming more evident is that the RTA are asking for full proof of a standard being met (unlike the federal government who have made allowances for low volume manufacturers). Unfortunately, the federal government information is a) incomplete online and b) getting on a bit - i.e. not current.

where the 'unfairness' come in is that the RTA themselves have not published what they will accept, and hence when the engineer comes up with a suitable cost effective method for demonstrating equivalence to an ADR (such as FEA) it is rejected. I am fully aware of the limitations of FEA for crash modelling, and why it doesn't immediately add up to me to use it for impact testing, however, to demonstrate chassis rigidity, and suitability of members it seems to make sense. Also for the clubby community, we have the advantage of Caterham Cars, who have crash tested a 7 to allow them to sell in the US; the chassis design is similar, and the column meets ADR 10/02, however since the RTA have come up with a minimum wheel size of 315mm, it is not possible to fit the required wheel to maintain legality to the ADR.

It's not perfect, but we have a small head start there. With the cobra side of things, well, there's plenty of cobras out there too, and most are high quality, well engineered bits of gear. This issue is not the shape of the car, rather the expectations / requirements (and hence costs) put onto home builders.

If we keep cool heads about it we can get things to go our way, but we need to agree on what our way is, and present it in a combined fashion.

Treeve