Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default How Can some Street Rods get full NSW Rego?

The majority of you know the problems I am having with my Engineer and the RTA in trying to get my Cobra registered in NSW. Well this really rubbed the salt into the wound today when I attended a local Hot Rod Show and Swap Meet this morning.

There were a large number of 1930 Ford Buckets on show, all on Club Hot Rod Rego, but there were also a large number of coupes and sedans from the same era bearing full NSW Street Rego.

The majority of these latter vehicles had massive blowers sitting on top of 500 c.i. big blocks and fed by a brace of double pumper holley carbys which towered high above the top of the bonnet line. The braking and steering systems on these monsters appeared quite deficient compared to the amount of horsepower these motors would develop and were considerably inferior to what I have fitted to my Cobra.

The RTA have obviously granted these vehicles full NSW Street Registration which permits them to be driven legally on our road systems at any time without restrictions while my Cobra, which is a far safer vehicle has to sit in the garage under its car cover. Am I missing something here?

I realise that the ASRF has gained Hot Rods many exemptions and I accept the fact that the cars on Club Hot Rod Rego have to comply with certain aspects of their Code of Conduct, but shouldn't the cars on full Street Rego have to comply with the same requirements of the ADR's as we, the average ICV builders have to abide by, putting up with the continuous 'moving goal posts' every few weeks?

Baz
Old 03-12-2011, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

The hot rods are not classed as ICV.

They are supposed to have an original part somewhere (although I think even that line has been blurred).
Most normaly used an original frame, or even cross member.
But I think they are now succesfully arguing that these are now too hard to find, or damaged/rusted that repro ones are better.
I have said all along we should be joining these guys and trying to get our Cobra's through the same way.
But I also realise that a Cobra like yours or mine Baz has a totaly differing chassis compared to a genuine Cobra, so a car like Kirkham, FFR, Era, possably new CR (the ones with round chassis rails) might be better suited?

And I agree it doesnt seem fair, but the HotRod guys got together and did something about it, so far apart from the small group that was put together, all that Cobra guys have done is sulk.

Is this group still together and still trying to change things? Has anyone been keeping up to date with them? Has anyone offered to assist?
I know I havent, but I am a little further away than most of you.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
And I agree it doesnt seem fair, but the HotRod guys got together and did something about it, so far apart from the small group that was put together, all that Cobra guys have done is sulk.
Couldnt agree more. The attitude of cobra owners is "it will sort it itself out and if it doesnt who cares my car will be worth more". Currently there are clubby people working on a number of approaches to save ICVs in NSW and what are the cobra people doing? Is the NSW cobra club doing anything?

Do people actually understand that cobras can not be registered in NSW at the moment regardless of make or engineer because of what the RTA wants? Everyone has this attitude of they will give an exemption like the crash testing. Well no they wont just give an exemption.

Its not as easy for hot rods as everyone thinks. In NSW if you want full rego for a hot rod it is done as an ICV. If you want club rego then it is done through the ASRF to their code.

The cars that Baz has seen would not have look anything like that when first registered and run the risk of being defected everytime they drive. Its no different to a cobra with live side pipes.

Big superchargers sticking out of the bonnet and major mods after rego are a big contributor to the current NSW nightmare and im sure it wont be long until it spreads to other states.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

I am researching what is required in NSW for 'Club Rego' of Cobras. I don't want to go down that track as I want fulll Street Registration, but if that appears unlikely, as will be borne out by my next RTA inspection, whenever that may be, I will be judged by the decision that flows from that inspection.

I will be sending of a letter to the President of the NSW Cobra Club shortly to investigate and implement the 'Club Rego' system for Cobra owner's in this State who, because of the RTA policies, are unable to get their cars approved for for Street Rego.

This is especially relevant for those who are in the process of building their cars and who will be caught up with the latest traconian and dictatorial amendments that we will have to face in the future like the VSCSS and VSB14.

Does anyone out there know how the Green Slip Insurance system applies to vehicles with 'Club Rego?'

Baz
Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

I would have thought there would have been a huge difference between factory vehicles and ICVs.

Yes, I know none of the hotrods would come within a bulls roar of passing todays ADRs - which the Cobra's must comply with, although a let stringent list via ICV compromises - but only are required to pass the "rules of the day" for the production car that they once were.

It's a shame that NSW RTA has taken the stance they have, but maybe the way around it at this stage is to go for club rego and continue the fight for full rego. At least you can enjoy your pride and joy on the mean streets of Sydney.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default There goes my latest idea.

I have just finished researching Club Rego for cars in NSW and I think my previous idea is snookered. There are only 11 different types of vehicle that qualify for Club Rego in NSW. These are:-

Historic Vehicles - Car, Truck, bus, motor cycle and plant over 30 years old.

Street Rod -

Purpose built Vehicle - Golf Buggy & vehicles of a similar type.

Lawn Mowers - over 250 kgs.

2-3 wheel agricultural bike operated for forming purposes.

All terrain vehicle operated for farming purposes.

Plant operated for farming purposes.

All terrain vehicle.

Oversnow vehicle (Skidoo, snow plough, snow groomer).

Recreational 2 - 3 wheel motor cycles with engine capacity greater than 300ml used on Stockton beach.

All terrain vehicles used on Stockton beach.

But there is still hope. I am thinking of installing a set of blades and pulleys under the car and trying to get it through as a lawn mower over 250 kgs or putting a bloody great big blade on the front and see if I can get it through as a Snow Plough, or how about a nice little rack on the back for my clubs and try for a golf buggy.

Looks like I will just have to persevere and keep trying for full Street Rego.

Apparently, Green Slip Insurance automatically comes with the Club Rego. It is far cheaper than full rego, but you need a Pink Slip - $35, Yearly Rego Fee $55 plus a one off Plate Fee of $33.

Back to the Think Tank.

Baz
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Baz, for club rego, talk to teh relevant authorities, use a phone, not a letter.
As when I rang regarding this in the NT, they would accept the Cobra as it represents a vehicle over 30 years of age.
Only hiccup you may have (and this is due to the process in NSW) is that you will most likely require a VIN to gain a roadworthy. (Your car may have a chassis number that was stamped in by your supplier - they may accept this)
But again, talk to the authorities, or even beter, check which clubs in your area run the club plate scheme,some clubs will have requirements, ie must be a member for x period of time etc, but they should be able to supply you the answers, as the club plate scheme is run by the club.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Baz, dare I say it but this issue has been canvassed extensively in the past. I refer to past posts regarding the issue.

Essentially when John Staszynski stepped down as President CCC Australia the whole thing fell to pieces.

John wanted the various state clubs to lobby their state authorities to create a new "type" of vehicle for rego purposes and remove the cobras (and GT40's/Daytonas) from the ICV classification.

Initial discussions with State Authorities were encouraging but to go further it required the State branches of Cobra Club to start being pro-active to give weight to the proposal.

This didn't happen and it all fell to pieces.

I still have the original email from John dated 05/07/2006 regarding this issue.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

How cool would a cobra be as a golf buggy???

All you need Baz is a hook for your sand bucket and some form of restraint for keeping your bag in place.
Job done, Club rego organised.