Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I'm suddenly a bit confused. The RTA forms and Dept of Infrastructure websites SUTI form all mention ADR 10/01 as the most recent. Where has the requirement for 10/02 come from? I didn't realise it was in force yet, just that it was a current ADR?

Cheers,

Treeve

p.s. as a side note Dave, telecoms for 50 years? do you send your SMS messages in Morse Code? ... _ _ _ ...
Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
I'm suddenly a bit confused. The RTA forms and Dept of Infrastructure websites SUTI form all mention ADR 10/01 as the most recent. Where has the requirement for 10/02 come from? I didn't realise it was in force yet, just that it was a current ADR?

Cheers,

Treeve

p.s. as a side note Dave, telecoms for 50 years? do you send your SMS messages in Morse Code? ... _ _ _ ...
Let's just say that when I was in my first couple of years at college the mighty 289 Cobra was a young man's wet dream and we listened to Jan & Dean and the Beach Boys sing about things of an automotive nature.

Since that time my taste has matured from the street thug Cobra to the smaller hooligan 7

ADR 10-02 came in mid last year for all new vehicles, my 2010 Forester TD is not compliant because it is a continuation of the existing body shape.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

With all these restrictions and falling sales of 'kits', I wonder how many manufacturers will survive the next 12 months?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
With all these restrictions and falling sales of 'kits', I wonder how many manufacturers will survive the next 12 months?
More to the point Merv, how many will take up the fight.

It's not just about the Cobra, GT40 or Clubbie market, ultimately it will affect every business that sells equipment to repair or modify a car, Whiteline, Supercheap, Rare Spares, Castlemaine Rod Shop, Jap importers, Hoppers Stoppers all the dyno shops etc.

The NSW requested amendments will also hit the rodders of both types as well, a guy who works for me put an electric motor in a Mondeo. An engine swap makes that an ICV under the new NCOP if NSW get their way.

The new engineering scheme VSCCS deregisters all existing engineers who then have a short period of time to apply and maybe accepted, the local engineers are up in arms and I don't see the interstaters taking it up because of the cost which will make any interstate stuff harder.

Have a look at your local council by-laws and see how much work you can do on your car in your garage.

Check the oil and top up the water and not much else.

My 7 is the fourth car I've built in my garage since the 80's plus some serious mods with my kids ( Datto 1200 ute with 350 RWKw ) but the first one I've tried to register and I now wish I'd registered one of the earlier ones.

[/rant]
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     
Default kit manufacturers

Quote:
Merv,

If the kit manufacturers don't get on board and follow up on these changes they shouldn't be in the business.

Most of these guys would know what stage of the build we are up to with their particular kits, maybe they should become more supportive.

Our recommendations form a large part of their continued business and we do continue to buy parts from them during the build.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry All,

I phrased my question really badly (partly because I was already aware of the answer). modifications to ADR 10/02 was tabled at the Senate (and I ssume passed since it is listed on the government legislation website) in July 2010. To original 10/02 was in 2008. However, the point I failed to make clear:

The RTA require vehicles in NSW to be manufactured to forms which have not been updated and still show 10/01; they have not adopted the newer versions of the ADR's for ICV's*

So, my point is: when did the RTA announce that this was the new rule, and update their publicly available documentation to allow us all (builders, hobbyists, owners, manufacturers etc) to be aware of the new requirement?

There's so many different sides to the ADR / NCOP / VSB application argument that I'm pretty sure I can see the back of my own head.

Cheers,

Treeve

* (at least if they have, it wasn't clear to me - and I do ask people to prove me wrong; it's better that we all learn something rather than just believe what we read on the internet...).
Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Sorry All,

I phrased my question really badly (partly because I was already aware of the answer). modifications to ADR 10/02 was tabled at the Senate (and I ssume passed since it is listed on the government legislation website) in July 2010. To original 10/02 was in 2008. However, the point I failed to make clear:

The RTA require vehicles in NSW to be manufactured to forms which have not been updated and still show 10/01; they have not adopted the newer versions of the ADR's for ICV's*

So, my point is: when did the RTA announce that this was the new rule, and update their publicly available documentation to allow us all (builders, hobbyists, owners, manufacturers etc) to be aware of the new requirement?

There's so many different sides to the ADR / NCOP / VSB application argument that I'm pretty sure I can see the back of my own head.

Cheers,

Treeve

* (at least if they have, it wasn't clear to me - and I do ask people to prove me wrong; it's better that we all learn something rather than just believe what we read on the internet...).
Seat heights must be allowed at the old height also then. But damn that means glare reduction in field of view is back in! We could do this all night...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

as I said - so many facets that I'm starting to feel confused by it all.

Where do we start? With the RTA and DoI forms.

Where do we end? __________ (fill in your own blanks because I've had the RTA refer me to an engineer who referred me to the DoI, who answered me, which I forwarded to the engineer, who referred me back to the RTA who said "ask the engineer again"....).

Thus began the seatbelt saga of ADR 4/04 and 5/05. (p.s. the DoI are happy to accept harnesses. ADR 4/04 makes allowances for them. Neither NCOP does though).

As Zedn pointed out, it's been messed up by so many people not following procedure that there is no procedure left to follow.

Treeve
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

There are stories about that some of the manufacturers are closing up or reducing their businesses to parts supply.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
There are stories about that some of the manufacturers are closing up or reducing their businesses to parts supply.
Sad but true, PRB here in Sydney made a very nice 7 replica for over 30 years and no longer sell road kits.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthol View Post
ADR 10-02 came in mid last year for all new vehicles, my 2010 Forester TD is not compliant because it is a continuation of the existing body shape.
My "completed" and unable to be registered in NSW cobra is a continuation of a 1965 body shape? will that do?

F**k it - Im moving to the NT with Dave.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just had an email from the RTA stating that the inspection guys won't accept engineers calcs or FEA to demonstrate seat mount and seatbelt anchor points are ADR compliant, this was after I forwarded an email to them from their higher authority that stated cals or alternative methods such as a fully tested sacrificial chassis provided empirical evidence of compliance.

Depending on the legislation that empowers the RTA the decisions made by them can be reviewed by the Administrative Descisions Tribunal (NSW)

Decisions made in administration of the Road Transport (Safety and Traffic Management) Act 1999 are reviewable

but the ROAD TRANSPORT (VEHICLE REGISTRATION) REGULATIONS 2000 are not listed (so maybe a specific enquiry)

Administrative Decisions Tribunal of NSW - Adminstrative Decisions Tribunal : Lawlink NSW

However, if your state govt is looking at the RTA then it might be a good time to remind the transport minister or your local member that oversight/review of these matters might be a good thing and provide an avenue for getting complaints off his desk...

who knows

LB
Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Provision for appeal is under the Road Transport (General) Regulation 2005. Part 3 Division 2.

Any person aggrieved by a decision of the Authority under the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 to refuse to issue an examiner’s authority or a proprietor’s authority or to suspend or cancel such an authority, being a decision notified to the person under clause 64 of that Regulation, may appeal against the decision to the Local Court by lodging a notice of appeal with the Court not later than 21 days after being so notified.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post

F**k it - Im moving to the NT with Dave.
You're always welcome over here in the West! Our blokes at DOT are a sensible bunch and actually enjoy the modified car scene. I had a good chat with one at Whiteman Park back in Feb and he was very accommodating and informative about the ICV process. He also thought the Cobra Club was the best club on show that weekend!
Old 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sad but true, PRB here in Sydney made a very nice 7 replica for over 30 years and no longer sell road kits.
DRB announced a week ago that they are no longer selling kits but just supplying parts from a smaller shed. This from a company that has been making kits for god knows how long. Probably close to 20 years?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
DRB announced a week ago that they are no longer selling kits but just supplying parts from a smaller shed. This from a company that has been making kits for god knows how long. Probably close to 20 years?
What? Is this true?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
Probably longer because Dennis had VW based stuff in the late 80's that I remember so almost certainly goes back further than that.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you are both talking about different companies. PRB and DRB
Old 05-03-2011, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Probably longer because Dennis had VW based stuff in the late 80's that I remember so almost certainly goes back further than that.
He certainly did ... I remember his involvement in kit cars before he built his first cobra kit.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
I think you are both talking about different companies. PRB and DRB
Sure am, first met Peter Bladwell in the late 70's and saw Dennis Bedford's early efforts in the 80's but don't remember exactly when.

Now neither are making road kits, age could have as much to do with it as rego problems though.