Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 12:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Ash,

Since when does power equal fast laps.......!

Tomcat,

I bet a stock LS3 with a cam would make similar power to your engine, and be under $10K. Ugly engines - yes. Bang for buck - awesome.

HSV300.

Very sweet motor!
beejay, whats a stock ls3 make 300kw max, probably not even that, that must be some cam youre going to stick in it to get over another 100kw from a stock engine just to get close to me and im only running a '' touring '' cam, if i was to stick a race bump stick in it as you would have to do, there would be no comparsion, so i bet thats wishfull thinking on your part
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

An un-opened LS1 with proper tune will make (has made!) 310kw@fly. A properly tuned un-opened LS3 I would hazard would be 340+
Old 07-17-2011, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

With all this apart, I measured the crankshaft bearing journals (connecting rod and main), the pistons and the bores and I am very pleased with the results. All were well within specifications for both size and taper.

Before removing the pistons and crankshaft, I also checked the big end bearing play and the crankshaft end play - again, both well within spec. All corresponding measurements were within tenths of thou of each other.

Next, I will be taking the block to be honed and will be replacing the bearings and the rings before it all starts putting itself back together.

Cheers

I think while youve got the engine stripped down this far I would be boring it and throwing in a new set of pistons to match those new heads....
Take one of the old rings off and put it in the bottom of the bore measure the end gap....now put the ring in the top of the bore and measure the end gap ....I would bore it....anyway thats my two bobs worth...

Geof[/quote]
Old 07-17-2011, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat racing View Post
beejay, whats a stock ls3 make 300kw max, probably not even that, that must be some cam youre going to stick in it to get over another 100kw from a stock engine just to get close to me and im only running a '' touring '' cam, if i was to stick a race bump stick in it as you would have to do, there would be no comparsion, so i bet thats wishfull thinking on your part
I reckon argueing with the Pope about the theory of evolution would be kind of like this.

We are taking the side of EVOLUTION Tomcat
Old 07-17-2011, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I think that the original Cobras had about 350 HP, give or take. That seemed to be enough to see off the more powerful Chevies of the day in the SCCA. However, we can have as much power as we are able to pay for now in either the original Ford heritage or now, the Chevie. The cost of new Ford or Chevie motors are pretty similar it seems. The costs of speciality built motors is higher. I wonder if it is all about the balance between three things: the set up of the car, the power of the motor and the ability of the driver.

Too much power and not enough ability and, "this is the one that will kill me!" I am not where near the power (or the ability) some of you are talking about and I find it more than enough on the road.

Now Geof, what pistons are you getting?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-460 View Post
I think while youve got the engine stripped down this far I would be boring it and throwing in a new set of pistons to match those new heads....
Take one of the old rings off and put it in the bottom of the bore measure the end gap....now put the ring in the top of the bore and measure the end gap ....I would bore it....anyway thats my two bobs worth...
AC-460

Great idea - I will check this out.

EDIT: What would you expect for a good/bad result for the gap - top and bottom?

Thanks

Geof

Last edited by 07cob; 07-17-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Old 07-17-2011, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

well said merv, i was just addressing some statements made here that i thought were bulls++t, and could not let them go unanswered.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Tomcat,

Not bull**** mate. A cammed LS3 will make 350 kW at the wheels no problem. It will start first go every time, not overheat and deliver good fuel economy.

If you love Fords that's great. You are however kidding yourself if you think they offer the same power per dollar as a Chev.

For the record, my current daily driver is a Ford, and there are a few others I would happily have in my garage.

All in good fun mate!

Ben
Old 07-17-2011, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Nah bugger you Ben, Fords are $hit

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=Beejay;1140604]Ash,

Since when does power equal fast laps.......!

Ben,

Couldn't agree with you more, up until Xmas I was running with about 280 rwhp which is well short of even the most basic LS engine. That 280 was good enough for a 1:08.0 @ the Nats on Friday practice last year. All about getting drive out of the corners, low down torque. Doesn't matter if it's got 500 Hp & no low down torque then it will underperform. Drags are a different matter totally. I had a vu SS ute that made 298 rwhp but had nothing under 4000 rpm. No drive out of corners unless you came out @ 4000 rpm.
Love the banter boys!
Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

This year at the Nationals, I understand that there will be a friendly State of Origin competition. Would it be worth considering in the future (surely too late for this year) to include a Ford vs Chev showdown. There would have to be enough LS powered Cobras now to make this a reasonable comparison.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tomcat, love your passion.

Power to weight is what its all about.

An Ls engine is like buying wine in a box. Yes it is cheaper per litre, its packaging is light weight, no need for a cork screw, it may even taste like wine.
A windsor is like a bottle of Penfolds Grange, rediculously expensive, comes in a heavy glass bottle, care must be taken with its storage, the cork must be carefully removed. The Taste will be rewarding and in your memory forever.

Now if you were offered a glass of each which one will you take??

Phil
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

beejay
i was referring to gavs first statement that ls engines [make more hp, for HALF the cost]

it depends on what you are comparing your engines to, if you want to be perogative thats your choice

350rwkw is great, no denying thats bang for your buck

im really happy for more of you guys to be sticking gm engines in your cobras, it just makes a ford engined one more exclusive

gav, evolution is the coyote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post

An Ls engine is like buying wine in a box. Yes it is cheaper per litre, its packaging is light weight, no need for a cork screw, it may even taste like wine.
A windsor is like a bottle of Penfolds Grange, rediculously expensive, comes in a heavy glass bottle, care must be taken with its storage, the cork must be carefully removed. The Taste will be rewarding and in your memory forever.

Phil
he he he love it!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Phil
could not have put it better phil, that sums it up, and about power to weight.
one of them has still not passed me yet, even with their alloy donk

you win quote of the year mate
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Yeah Grange is bloody great, bit of cork taint at the moment though hey Phil, Ash, Wazz....etc
Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Phil
Love it Phil.

But Fords still suck

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, you get that Andrew when you run at the top of the pack. We will see what happens when the LS engines catch up.

Last edited by Philm; 07-17-2011 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling, because some wanker will point it out
Old 07-17-2011, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat racing View Post
could not have put it better phil, that sums it up, and about power to weight.
one of them has still not passed me yet, even with their alloy donk

you win quote of the year mate
So you have never been beaten by a chev.

Christ you are even more full of s##t than I thought.