Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By sheer coincidence I crossed paths with a fella who works in Dept of Climate Change. I asked him "...does everyone in your office believe in climate change?" His answer was interesting. In essence, he said it was his job to support the government in promoting the dangers and effects of climate change. He did say, that not everyone in his office agreed with it, but its a bit like a Policeman not agreeing a road should be 70km/h instead of 80km/h...what can they do? He said he could sleep easy at night, because the success or failure of his/our/government intiatives wont even remotely be able to be assessed for at least a 1000 years.

Another point. India are building 6 new coal fired power stations in a developing province. These power stations emit far less CO2 than current ones, nonetheless, they emit tonnes of CO2. Australia is selling them coal to fire the plants. Due to the efficiency of the power stations, India then receive Carbon credits which Australia can then buy back of Insia at a cost of a many millions of dollars. Complete nonsense.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Default Good Doco

The ABC has a fantastic documentary on the topic of oil

Crude - the incredible journey

You can see the doco at the website:
Crude - the incredible journey of oil - Broadband edition - ABC Science

This is very interesting doco and is quite matter of fact (rather than hysterical/judgemental) about what carbon is and how it became oil and etc -

Make the point that we're all 100% recycled (even oil is)

I hope you can find the time to look at it.

LoBelly
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

I believe in a couple of things.

Firstly, I believe in climate change. I believe that in 21 days time, the climate will change from Winter to Spring and we will start to notice a warming of the temperature.

In another three months it will suddenely get hotter. Cobras, 40's and Daytona's will be exiting from their hiberation and things will be good.

Three months later, the leaves will start to fall and the climate will start to cool. That's called Autumn and three months later we will have Winter again.

If I worked in Canberra, my assumpuption would earn me a couple of hundred grand a year.

The second point is that this thread should be in the 'Pool Room' not taking up valuable space on this Forum.

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 08-09-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
I tend to go with the experts on this stuff. I remember the previous government and our 'deputy sheriff' going off to wars that most of us did not want. We made little difference and spent billions and lost lives and in reality made little difference, when other nations did nothing. I guess we try to do the right thing and that costs sometimes.
have to disagree Merv (or Sharon)...while we probably accomplished little in the war torn country to which we sent our finest (god bless them), we accomplished plenty in cementing allied friendships even further. Love 'em or hate 'em, I like being friends with the boys that have the biggest six shooters.

If my best mate and comrade in arms of the last 100 years leads out, I'm going to stand by him, even if it means risking my safety and my presence may mean little to the net result.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Each to his own view Mando. I guess there are wars and wars and some based on lies. Maybe they all are in reality. Many of our finest have died while other mates stayed home. Still maybe this should go to the Pool Room as Baz says. BTW it says Merv at the bottom. Not sure I have ever seen Sharon on here!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
The second point is that this thread should be in the 'Pool Room' not taking up valuable space on this Forum.
Pretty tough stance there Baz. I've seen many, many more useless threads around here lately. This one is political just like the ICV debate in NSW, and before you say it has nothing to do with cars... well maybe not right now but if we discourage open discussion and debate among friends we might one day find there's no 98 RON left at the fuel pump.

I like your analogy about climate change by the way (seriously) - I just wish it were that simple so we could get on with fixing it.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Somebody on this forum mentioned that Volcano's added to the green house effect.

This short youtube clip featuring David Attenborough seems to indicate that erupting volcanoes have a cooling effect as the ash blocks sunlight.

‪Save Our Planet: Sir David Attenborough The Truth About Climate Change‬‏ - YouTube

Australia's reduction in CO2 might not make much difference to the total worlds CO2 but then why would it we are very small. But it does give us the right to demand action from others. Lets see if helping out our USA Friends in Iraq will be recipricated.

I wonder what pacific islanders think about our bickering over some extra tax dollars when the islands they live on may disappear through no fault of theirs. It looks as though a lot of poor people are going to die from climate change. I say poor because its mostly the poor who live on low lying costal areas. If sea level rises then future tsunami will be more devistating. And the poor can not afford to pay high prices for grain when drought hits and global prices skyrocket. There are going to be a lot more refugees looking for somewhere to go. I'm guessing they will look to developed countries and say "you owe us".

I dont want my kids and grandkids to think I did nothing to save their future.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Hi Modena,

Re: the Kangaroo's. Yes I've heard there are a lot around there, some culling going on I believe.

There are some people looking at trying to switch people from beef to kangaroo due to the no farting no methane thing. Currently domestic comsumption is low but we sell a bit to Russia and somewhere else (cant remember). Anyway they have done the math and even if all of Australia switched to Kangaroo their just isnt enough of the buggers. I'm no butcher but apparently we only eat some of the back and rump. I assume the rest doesnt taste good?

I see what you are saying about supporting the USA etc. But I have to stop short since I didnt go and risk my life.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

One thread isnt taking up space. I would rather see this discussion here rather then clogging up the pool room. If you dont want to read it, dont open the thread. Pretty simple.

The last big Vic bushfires pumped out more carbon then we (Australia) normally do in a entire year. Wonder who will pay the carbon tax on the next one. God? She can put it on her carbon tax mastercard.

The volcano spews ash and co2. The ash may initially have a cooling effect on the atmosphere, but it will dissipate and settle. The CO2 will hang around forever. I personally hate the cold and reckon global warming is a bloody great idea.

Apparently there is a huge march\convoy on Canberra 22 Aug, the "convoy of no confidence", basically calling for the government to be sacked.

Cheers
Andrew
Old 08-10-2011, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Each to his own view Mando
Need some of these Mervy?

Poor bloody Mando dragged into this without even making a post.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

To be truly 'GREEN' You must stop breathing. It is the only way.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Hey you are right for once. Sincere apologies Mando. Thanks for the specs Andy, let me know when you need them back.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Default Skit

This just landed in my inbox, great timing.

If the ABC was Relevant (Part 44) (a John Clarke, Bryan Dawes skit)
(The Customer)

[Scene: A car yard. BRYAN is perusing the stock. He is approached by JOHN]
John: Morning! Looking for a new car?
Bryan: Nope. Prime Minister, actually.
John: You’re the third one this morning. Anything in mind?
Bryan: You know....... nothing fancy, reliable, economical family model. Something to get the country from A to B.
John: You mean like a Howard?
Bryan: Yeah....a little Johnny. Nothing flash, does the job. Low maintenance, economical, sensible. Runs for years, no troubles.
John: So.... you used to have one?
Bryan: Yeah. About 10 years. Great little model – don’t know why I got rid of him --biggest mistake I’ve ever made…
John: What happened?
Bryan: Traded him in for a Kevin 07.
John: Big mistake…
Bryan: Lot of people bought it. Good political mileage.
John: How was the Kevin 07?
Bryan: Came with a $900 factory rebate – that was good.
John: Anything else?
Bryan: Not much. Sounded nice but nothing under the bonnet. It was a lemon.
John: Didn’t stick around for long did it?
Bryan: Nah – had a factory recall. Shipped overseas and was never seen again.
John: What was the problem?
Bryan: Lots. But the final straw was the navigation system. Plug it in and it automatically loses its own way.
John: Whatcha got now?
Bryan: It’s a Gillard-Brown.
John: The hybrid?
Bryan: Yeah. The Eco-drive system – not a good idea. An engine that can’t deliver hooked up to a transmission stuck in permanent reverse…
John: Green paintwork with a red interior. And steering that always lurches to the left for no apparent reason – that’s the one?
Bryan: The Fustercluck model.
John: The only one they made, Bryan. Not the vehicle of choice for the road to recovery – but did they finish up fixing the navigation system?
Bryan: Made it worse. Turn it on and it does a press release, heads off in all directions and goes nowhere.
John: So that’s why you’re here?
Bryan: That’s right. I’m stuck with a government that's wasteful, expensive, ineffective and past its use by date. I don’t suppose you’ve heard of the “Cash for Clunkers” scheme?
John: Join the queue brother.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

ROFLMFAO !

Harrison #100
Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Dreams
Not Ranked     
Default "For what it's worth" dept.

Interesting discussion. I've just added an eco-friendly add-on to my 460 big block.... It's a beast which sucks gas and belches fire. Ok that's a bit of an exageration. I'm adding the only thing that really matters to me. It's an evap canister. And it's only on the gas tank vent. Nothing fancy. I'm just doing my part to make the planet greener and helping to solve global warming "crisis".

Thanks ya'll
Xack
Old 08-10-2011, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

My wife and I both drive Green cars................................ She drives a green Hummer and I drive a green Ford E-150.

The Cobra will be green too. British Racing Green

Arthur
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
The ABC has a fantastic documentary on the topic of oil

Crude - the incredible journey

You can see the doco at the website:
Crude - the incredible journey of oil - Broadband edition - ABC Science

This is very interesting doco and is quite matter of fact (rather than hysterical/judgemental) about what carbon is and how it became oil and etc -

Make the point that we're all 100% recycled (even oil is)

I hope you can find the time to look at it.

LoBelly
Watch the 3 parts over the course of last night.
Very sobering stuff Lobelly...
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Lobelly,

I just finished watching all 3 parts of the doco you recommended as well.

1) Well made
2) Very Interesting
3) Were all doomed
Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As Hanrahan said, "We'll all be 'rooned'"!

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seriously though Lo Belly, it is excellent and should be compulsory watching in schools. Natural events such as volcanoes took 250 million years to produce the degree of change that 7 billion people are producing in 100 years. All jokes aside, if ever one doubted ... The real question is can we do anything and is it too late to reverse or even slow the process?

Anyway, thanks for sharing this.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.