Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking Newbie wanting to buy a Cobra

Hi All,

Firstly let me apologise if I get anything wrong here, as I am completely new to the Cobra Family.

Actually new is not the right word, I have not been born yet.

I have been looking for some time to purchase a Cobra, but I know it is simply not just about the exterior look.

I have found it'd difficult to find a definitive place to visit that tells me what I should be looking for in a car and what the tricks in buying are.

I have also tried searching for tips on valuations, what makes a Cobra worth 50k and what makes it worth 100k ( removing originals from this equation )

So I have narrowed down my search to a couple of cars ( by the way I'm located in Queensland so I am trying to look locally to avoid travel and the extra hassle. )

But seriously other than looking for damage that is apparent, and a nice clean tidy engine bay, well put together interior engine oil leaks etc etc . The typical things for anything motorized I don't have any further clues.

The other day for example I looked at two cars side by side at an event, and found out afterwards one was up for 125k and the other was 60k. I really could not tell the difference. Both exteriors where great, the interiors different but botH looked great.

I hope this in some way goes towards telling you my problem, any assistance would really be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome Rick. There are some Cobras that have more money tied up the engine and engine management systems than other people have tied up in their whole Cobra. Some people can spend $20k on paint; others $3k. Wiring can be $6k+ for a show spec hidden loom with milspec connectors, or you can do it yourself at home with a $300 hot rod wiring harness some patience and a crimping tool. Wheels can be $1k for the set or $1k each. There's an expensive or a not so expensive option with everything on these cars!

What's your budget?
Buying complete or would you build one yourself?
What are your plans for the car?
Performance or polish?
Original/authentic appearance or bling?

With those few basic details defined, I reckon there is a better than fair chance that Muzzza, Leroy17, 400TT and a bunch of other Qld members could sell you a car or help you find one. Heck I even have one for sale if you're entertaining the idea of an old left hand drive Cobra
Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With the National event looming in 3 weeks you could do worse things than fly down to Canberra and see "hopefully" a large variety of cars on display and venting their blouses in anger.

Also have a look at this link from the NSW Club which highlights some of Australia's different bodied cars.

http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/ed...2012%20old.doc

Spookypt
Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses, wow interesting the differences in shapes, never new of he distinct differences.

Craig, thanks for the info.

Budget of between 40k and 80k but I just don't know wether I have to pay 80k
I would like a complete car that I can maybe potter on.
Plans, fun. Coffee shop hopping around the hinterland of Queensland. Maybe attend some club events and see what the scene is about. Take the car around a track just so that I can tick it off the bucket list.
Performance Polish. Nice to have a V8 that sounds good but I think looking good is also important. I can't see myself getting into racing heavily.

I would like original but it must also look nice.

I suppose a little wishy washy, but I have found a few cars I like on carsales.

Anyway thanks to all.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some cars I have looked at, trying to work out the differences, any thoughts on these would help.

2012 AC Cobra

1992 AC Cobra

2000 AC Cobra

1996 AC Cobra
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

I am a little familiar with the first one, that 2012 Harrison. From what I have seen, it is a very high quality build with some amazing attention to detail. Have not had the opportunity to test it, but I expect it won't disappoint.

Some other solid older cars there as well. Condition on these is critical and something you can only tell when you inspect & test them.

$40k upwards is a good budget. $40k is the starting point for a solid car that is around 15+ years old. It will have wear and tear, but you can find reliable cars that drive well. But with everything the higher the budget you have, the newer and higher quality the car will be.

Sometimes it pays to spend more upfront and get a newer/better condition/higher spec car. Or you can spend less and pay to get the work done to get an older, lesser condition car to the spec you require.

We just inspected a solid older car for a client. It was a terrific car and excellent value for money. It now has a very proud new owner.

We offer and inspection and evaluation service on used Cobra replicas. We will go out and physically inspect the cars and report on condition, detail any modifications, give an evaluation on value etc. We also have extensive knowledge of most of the major brands and give you the pros & cons of each brand.

If you can make it down to our workshop, I would be very pleased to give you advice and also show you around our facilities to give you a better idea of what makes a Cobra replica tick. I'm hoping it might help you make a more informed decision.

I believe you are in the right place to buy a Cobra, QLD seems to serve up a wide variety of great value cars. I'm sure you will find your perfect Cobra here.

Good luck with your search.

Craig White
Old 09-13-2013, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I am surprised that there are not few more comments here as I would have thought that nearly everyone has an opinion on this.

Anyway, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending on how you see it) all cobras are not created equal. There are variances in body styles, drivelines, overall finish, wiring etc etc which would also explain cost variances. Kind of like comparing Teac and Bang & Olufsen, there may be some similarities in appearance however thats about it.

How tall/big are you, when your driving you want to be looking through the windscreen and not over it (unless your noddy).

Take the time to have a look around and listen to the suggestions above as there is some great knowledge being provided. I know when I was looking there were a number on offer (some are still for sale now over three years ago). Some net photos don't tell the true story (good bad and ugly) on what its really like.

Maybe this ticks a box or two for you, not advertised anywhere but why not have a look.

dc7531 and Chook like this.

Last edited by leroy17; 09-13-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 09-13-2013, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

I really do appreciate your efforts in responding, lots of helpful information.

Craig, you mention coming down to your workshop, do you build replicas or service them ? Or both ? Where are you located ?

Leroy, nice car. I'm sorry to say, it does not seem to matter which one I look at they are all just different variations of LOVELY.

Not getting weird, but Cobras always remind me of a beautiful woman skimpily dressed, all those lovely curves.

I just like them and always have.

I think this is really why I'm finding it hard, other than obvious scratches dents or poor workmanship I think they are all perfect. So if the outside and interior cockpit looked great what else do I look at.

Anyway going to look at few cars today and see what happens.

What do you think about the 1992 RMC cobra ?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

have you driven one? a lot of people love the dream, but when it comes to actually living with one its a different story.
handling one with low horsepower and auto is different to obviously a manual with a fairly hot motor, also irs vs solid axle, chassis design and so on.
test drive and see what suits.
Mine has no wet weather gear, no heater, actually not much of any mod cons.
but thats the way i like it, a fairly raw driving expeirence.
has not stopped me driving it every weekend since i purchased it, even through the middle of winter.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Rick.

Like yourself, I spent the best part of this year researching and looking for a cobra to buy. I've noted some of my experiences and tips below, which I hope help you along your way.

Firstly, I'd recommend to buy a few books from ebay - most are only $10 or $20 bucks. These are all British and American, but the best part is, I'm not going to suggest to read them, but to look at all the pictures and understand what you prefer more, or dislike about each vehicle, ie colour, dash set out, steering wheel, quick jacks or bumpers (or none), wheels, roll bar or two or none etc. This way you'll have a better understanding of what is value to you, when you start looking at them and their price. What is of value to a vendor, is not always of value to the seller - but always remember to respect the vendor's value!!! Check out the snakebite website for different parts costings too.

Secondly, just don't restrict yourself to carsales/carpoint. There is also autotrader, unique cars, just cars, ebay, gumtree etc.

BE PATIENT! don't rush into buying one of these cars. They have a small buyer's market, therefore will remain on the market for a while, and give you plenty of time to do your homework. Be upfront and let them know that you require a chassis and mechanical inspection before purchasing. This is where I would engage with Craig from Absolute Pace to carry out the inspection. I had one done this week and it is the best value of money spent throughout the whole buying process. At the very least have your local mechanic inspect (assuming you're not one yourself).

Join the QLD cobra club. You'll meet a stack load of people with the exact same interest and who will help you in many different ways - whether it is just discussing what you like or dislike, sources of parts and service, vehicles for sale that aren't advertised etc. You're lucky that you're in QLD as I would guess they have the highest concentration of any state - just my opinion and that could be debated by others!!!

The price variances are mainly the result of the manufacturer, age, kms, engine and running gear. Some of this has already been touched on above.

Lastly, get out to the manufacturers and have a look and ask them questions. Don't feel that because you're not buying a new vehicle, you're not deserving of their time. Remember the second hand vehicle you're buying, may free up that vendor, to buy a new one from the manufacturer you're talking to.

As Spookypt suggested, try and get to the nationals on Oct long weekend. It will expose you to the most keenest and enthusiastic of the cobra family on the eastern seaboard.

Visit and test drive as many as possible. Some might not let you test drive it on your first visit, but will definitely passenger you and then maybe on your second. Unfortunately there are a lot of tyre kickers and joy riders, and the vendors will look to weed you out in your first few minutes of the visit!

Lastly, with your budget, I'd be seriously thinking about getting one built by Absolute Pace. In my opinion, these are the best build in the industry at the moment, and the best value too. Definitely meet with Craig and have a visit.

Enough from me, back to sitting around waiting for this truck to arrive to deliver mine!!!

Good luck and share your stories from today!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickoz View Post
Craig, you mention coming down to your workshop, do you build replicas or service them ? Or both ? Where are you located ?
Yes, we perform a lot of servicing so there is a good chance you will see other brands at our workshop when you visit.

We offer virtually any type of kit delivery or build system. You can even build you car in house in our workshop.

That 1992 RMC is owned by a local QLD club member.

Some great advice there from Chook.

Take your time look at as many as possible before making a decision.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

I would check out Absolute Pace as you are in the sunshine state.

Also look at their web site and Facebook site.

The Cobra Nationals are only weeks away and well worth a visit as there are numerous owners, kits and a few trade areas to see first hand...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hello go cars online look at the ffr car from bay city texas
make offer very nice cobra for the money
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraboy 427 View Post
hello go cars online look at the ffr car from bay city texas
make offer very nice cobra for the money
Hey why not..... and then you can enjoy the 13,500klm drive home..... oh wait on....... we're on the other side of the world!
Wazza likes this.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     

Rick,

How did you go on your treasure hunt on the weekend?

Drive any?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: harrison
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick,

I am looking to sell my Harrison, sent you a pm,

Joe
Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok Guys,

Well it has been a poor start, but good all the same, lots of great people with amazing stories.

I managed to look at and sit in ( sorry attempted to sit in ) 6 cars.

So this led me to the first problem, I'm 6ft3in. Now it must be said I have sat in and driven two other Cobras in the States which is how I originally got the bug.

What I have determined is both of these had been extended length versions. ( Quick phone call to my friend in LA got me that info as he is also 6ft6in and one of the cars was his)

I did however sit in an extended Cobra in QLD, perfect fit lots of room, only issue is was that it was just not right. ( please don't ask any more questions on that one as this is an open forum )

So my market just got smaller, only options seem available to me are to find an extended version.

p.s. I did find my dream car late last Saturday afternoon on the Sunshine Coast, what an amazing car, beautiful , finished so well. ( My wife just said get it and she would drive it and I could take Her car, wont reiterate what my response was to Her as I might get kicked off the forum. Beautiful Grey with lighter grey stripes with a brand new Edelbrock motor. Wow. Murray well done.

So slightly depressed. I have been told that a new build is going to cost XXX +++ and I don't think I can stretch the budget that high at the moment.

So back to dreaming, maybe some day.

To all you guys with Cobras, I am in complete envy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont forget how lucky you are.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force MkII, Ford 429, Tremec TKO, Jag Suspension, Sequential LPG Injection, On The Road.
Not Ranked     

Hi Rick,

Don't despair, one that suits will come along.
I'm also 6'3" and while it's a tight fit, I do fit.
Mine is a standard length G-Force, room can be created with seat and pedal position changes. If you haven't talked to The Qld Cobra club already, now might be a good time.
They will have ideas on which model you could be shoe-horned into.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rickoz, you should definitely come down and see us.

I believe we can change the whole way you think about Cobra's in terms of quality, engineering, ride quality, performance, price etc.

Extended versions don't necessary mean they are the largest interior space wise. I believe we have more interior room in our authentic dimension body than any extended version available in Australia. Also doors that open wider to help with entry and exit.

Being only 6'3" I reckon you would swim in our PACE 427's.

Last edited by 400TT; 09-19-2013 at 02:37 AM..
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace 427 SC
Not Ranked     
Default Tall Men

Hey Rick

Look at this Photo. Don March is 6 feet 5 inches tall I believe

This man is very tall and was quite at home in the car with plenty of leg room and his head was under the top of the windscreen.

Cheers

Brad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: