Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree299Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Impressive, keep the info coming please.
Cheers
Chris L
Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodknock View Post
i'm very interested in the modifications that you'll have to make in order to fit the cammer. Can you please show us some details of those operations? Thank you.
x 2 !!!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

You make us jealous! That is one beautiful looking car. It is nice to see the progression. Keep us updated with photos and when it is all together please post a youtube video so we can hear it run, should I say roar?

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Simply stunning.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Are you going to polish the frame? Probably too late now, but still stunning!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

They are a very impressive kit the Kirkham. Think i would rather pay off my mortgage though.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

First a few replies and then some more pics and info.

Rodknock and ERA Chas; not 100% sure on the mods for the cammer I ordered it to take the cammer so Kirkhams built it ready to fit. From what I can work out its mainly engine bay panels that are massaged including footwells and engine mounts. All I know is it fits Kirkhams had it in there now all I have to do is get it back in there.

Bernica; no sadly the chassis will remain mill finished stainless steel.

Albany Cobra; the car was sent in to Aus in parts so there was no import approval required. I was actually told that was the easiest way but in hind sight I dont think importing a whole vehicle would be that difficult. If you want pricing just go to the Kirkham Motorsport page everything i sthere that you need to know.

Zedn: Kirkhams arent kit cars as such you buy them complete. Some people are buying them in parts and building them but its the same price disassembled as it is assembled.

Soulman cool 5 years didnt know there were any in OZ that old.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok so the last pics I posted were of the car being finished of at Kirkhams
This is the car all parceled up being loaded in to the container.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

You would be amazed how handy it is to have all of these pictures especially when you are comparing the car in the flesh. Photos are also really help full when you pay someone to do work for you, if you have before photos of every detail its really easy to see if they done the work theyre telling you.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Then my car arrived in Australia, apparently no build thread is complete with out an idiot in the car making big block noises so this ones mine LOL.

[/url]

Sorry I cut the front off the car to hide a dent that it had from the people who unpacked her out of the container, its all good though they fixed the dent perfect even told me free of charge but then later apparently I paid for it as it was part of the work performed.

This is the car being unloaded off the car trailer at my workshop I bought the car home so I could finish it off before my next birthday.

[/url]

After I got the car back in my workshop I had to go through everything to see what was missing because the people I entrusted my baby to had lost parts from her. David Kirkham was awesome he sent me all the bits that were missing within 1 week. He couldn't understand how parts were missing because they were on the manifest from when it was shipped anyway this is all the parts that were missing that I need to finish the car.

A full set of wheels (god knows how someone could miss place them)
[/url]

A full set of springs and retainers for the coil over Penske Shocks.
[/url]

Gear box mount
[/url]

Strut and sway bar mounting hardware.
[/url]
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rigtho now I start the jig saw puzzle, first thing out of the car is the fuel tank.

Didnt realise how big it was until i got it on the ground out of the car, probably should have asked for help but oh well.

Even the fuel tank is artwork full stainless full baffled and fits like a glove. KMS even make the tie downs for the fuel tank out of billet aluminium.

[/url]

next out of the car was the wiring harness, I pulled the tank to make the job easier, the wiring harness came out so I could add brake and reverse wiring I didnt want to just add to the car I wanted everything to look neat so while i had the harness out I also integrated the EFI power supply into the one loom rather then having 2 looms running to the rear of the car.

Next out was the dash so I could get to the rest of the harness. Behind the dash was a mess of wires and disorganisation and NO this is not the way Kirkham ships the car the build photos that KMS supplied show the wires bundled up nice and neat.

[/url]

[/url]

Also I had to wire up windscreen wipers windscreen demisters steering lock and replace the MPH speedo for KMH, I also had to change fuel pressure gauge as KMS had mistakenly put in a carby fuel pressure gauge While I had it out I did some tidying up and bundled the wires up nice and neat.

[/url]

Well I ran out of things to do on the wiring while I wait on some parts so I started on the suspension putting the coil overs on the shocks and sway bar attachment.

this is the right rear corner coil over installed

[/url]

Left front corner

[/url]

Sway bar and front coil over mounting hardware.

[/url]

Sway bar mounted all neat and tidy. Billet suspension really is a treat to work on.

[/url]

Next install is the engine I wont get back on to the car till probably Tuesday.

Last edited by damage; 01-10-2014 at 03:38 AM..
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Simply beautiful man!

You seemed quite nonplussed about the damage and missing parts for your car. I'd have blown a gasket and probably gotten myself in trouble.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Simply beautiful man!

You seemed quite nonplussed about the damage and missing parts for your car. I'd have blown a gasket and probably gotten myself in trouble.
I haven't named names on this thread because other people are getting sick of me moaning and I didn't want this thread to be all about bagging someone out but if you read some of my comments on other threads it's all related.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
I haven't named names on this thread because other people are getting sick of me moaning and I didn't want this thread to be all about bagging someone out but if you read some of my comments on other threads it's all related.
I may have missed it, but did you name who built the Cammer? How about some details, like what type of cam, cam specs, EFI, heads, etc.?

There was one gentlemen building an engine for his ERA and he was showing us pics of his hose clamps and main bearings. Don't need that much detail, but some would be great.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

I missed something in this great thread too. I saw a cammer in the car at one time and saw the custom valve covers, pipes etc. Also saw all the wiring going on. I guess the cammer was a test-fit and you already have the real one at home? I guess the way I read the thread, you were having the complete driver delivered down under. Regardless, an awesome car! You are obviously taking your time and doing everything right. You have a nice big piece of jewelry there!

Keep the pics coming!

-Michael
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

It's a work of art, must admit i would be to worried about driving it!, i think you may need to mod your living room and just park it there

Shelby Cobra Doing Donuts In A Living Room - YouTube
Old 01-11-2014, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys I don't have the full spec sheets on the engine handy at the moment so can't give you too much, engine was built by Keith Craft block is a Pond as are the heads injection is Hilborne 8 stack with a Fast EFI the injection stacks are billet aluminium produced by Kirkham rocker covers are billet and front pulleys are all billet also by Kirkham. Internals are all forged scat and pistons are diamond. It made 725hp at 7200 (from memory) on KC dyno on the sheets that he supplied. I'll try put up more on that later.

[/url]

In the mean time the one who must be obeyed allowed some more play time today so I went to work and did some tidying up and moved the motor into my workshop ready to shoe horn in.

[/url]

This is my girl in her corner at work with the engine waiting to be slotted in.

[/url]

I finished up under the dash tidying all the wiring up and make sure everything worked for the final time prior to hanging everything where it should be. It's just lucky that I did because I found a bunch of stuff wrong so a little job turned into a big one. Biggest lesson I learnt out of this whole experience is that if you have the capabilities to do a job just do it yourself, paying people for bad workmanship really leaves me off.

Then I went about getting the engine bay in order removing anything that could be an obstacle for getting the Engine in, don't want any issue while it's on the crane so removed all the plumbing from the radiator and pushed all the wiring harnesses away so that no wires get damaged. Wow didn't realise the amount of monitoring circuits on a nowadays last time I did anything like this was 25 years ago. The main engine loom for this thing with efi is huge.

[/url]

[/url]

Last edited by damage; 01-19-2014 at 02:57 AM..
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Incredible

Wow is all I can say. I've been looking at the AP cars for some time and your story is invaluable for someone hoping to embark on a similar journey soon. Once I weigh up the problems with the RMS here in NSW with an ICV and and having one built for me or buying an already registered vehicle. Many decisions yet.

I cant wait to see how this beautiful vehicle progresses. Congrats.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Ozzie_Johno, before everyone jumps in here, just want to be clear that damage's fantastic car is in fact a Kirkham replica, not an AP replica per se.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Did you mean "a real Kirkham" or a replica of a Kirkham?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Real Kirkham. Sorry. Ohh ambiguities.....