Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree300Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2015, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLip View Post
Hoity.......I grew up in Indianapolis and always liked to tinker with anything mechanical. My dream was to build... but as I got a little older reality set in that my skill level, time and desire really wasn't there. After much research, I decided to buy a Superformance. Don't get me wrong, there are many, many nice vehicles out there but I elected Superformance because of them being produced on a factory line and felt as though consistency was there. I'm sure happy I did as the only thing that is needed is a key and wax. I wish I could say that I put my heart and soul into the build but can't like many others. It's hard to describe the enjoyment of driving the beast on a beautiful day so I wanted a car that I could get in and drive without worrying about getting too far from home! Good luck and hope your dreams come true....You won't be sorry.
Thanks jlip, that is great looking car, beautiful photo.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Welcome.

Firstly, if I may be so crude, what's your budget and what level of experience do you have?
My decision was based on those two factors above.

Good luck & Enjoy the fun.
Thanks dimis, funny thing I haven't thought too much about the budget, 50k upfront for the pace might be an issue, given if you buy a kit and you can drip feed the cash over the life of the project I think I will be ok.
I am an electrician by trade, rebuilt a ford v8 30 years ago, just finished a Reno on the house. Pretty hands on with Dirtbikes and Harley's currently. I think I am up for it, just need to get wifey on board and sort out my time management.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i built one about 17 yrs ago but was forced too sell it in a divorce and vowed and declared i would get another one when my circumstances changed .
i didnt want too build one after doing that with the last one scrounging thru wreckers and buying old jags then cleaning and recondition everything as i went along 3 yrs to build it i thought bugga that .
i,looked at a few local and flew interstate to tassie too look at one but couldnt find find one that suited my needs or i liked the look of .
in the end the wife and myself flew up to qld to check out the pace kits and was blown away by the quality and the engineering of the cars ive been involved in motor sport for the last 30 yrs and these equalled and in many cases bettered what i was used too .
we placed our order this time last yr and have made all the payments apart from transport to adelaide so we are waiting patiently for a delivery date . in saying that my car had to be modified to accommodate the 6 speed auto trans in it around the trans tunnel as there a wide bugga of a trans .
but due to a leg injury using a clutch pedal is out of the question and i didnt want to use a old turbo 400 trans or the like when i could have a 6 speed behind a L98 engine .
im lucky as my wife is motor car and Motorsport tragic she is on the committee and is the time keeper in our club where i race so i dont have any problems spending and her getting upset with in reason .

if your in a hurry and want a car to drive around in this summer look for one on the road and ready to go if your not in a rush check out the absolute pace kits or the factory five kits and see if there to your liking .
50g will put you into a car on the road as a base level inho after searching for one and the pace depending on what extras you want and how much of it you can do yourself imj budgeting for around 85g give or take a bit , in my case i can do all engine work and mechanical work as a semi retired mechanic put i will pay someone to do the wiring and trimming .
what ever way you go building or buying they will put a smile on ya dial for many a mile when ya out cruising .

cheers dean
boxhead and Hoity like this.

Last edited by deano59; 09-19-2015 at 09:59 AM..
Old 09-19-2015, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Pace 427 for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
Hey albanycobra, couldn't find it, went for a 100 ads, will anothe go later on.
See link or PM me for any info. Muz

PhotoPost Classifieds - Pace 427 roller / finishing kit - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 09-19-2015, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
i built one about 17 yrs ago but was forced too sell it in a divorce and vowed and declared i would get another one when my circumstances changed .
i didnt want too build one after doing that with the last one scrounging thru wreckers and buying old jags then cleaning and recondition everything as i went along 3 yrs to build it i thought bugga that .
i,looked at a few local and flew interstate to tassie too look at one but couldnt find find one that suited my needs or i liked the look of .
in the end the wife and myself flew up to qld to check out the pace kits and was blown away by the quality and the engineering of the cars ive been involved in motor sport for the last 30 yrs and these equalled and in many cases bettered what i was used too .
we placed our order this time last yr and have made all the payments apart from transport to adelaide so we are waiting patiently for a delivery date . in saying that my car had to be modified to accommodate the 6 speed auto trans in it around the trans tunnel as there a wide bugga of a trans .
but due to a leg injury using a clutch pedal is out of the question and i didnt want to use a old turbo 400 trans or the like when i could have a 6 speed behind a L98 engine .
im lucky as my wife is motor car and Motorsport tragic she is on the committee and is the time keeper in our club where i race so i dont have any problems spending and her getting upset with in reason .

if your in a hurry and want a car to drive around in this summer look for one on the road and ready to go if your not in a rush check out the absolute pace kits or the factory five kits and see if there to your liking .
50g will put you into a car on the road as a base level inho after searching for one and the pace depending on what extras you want and how much of it you can do yourself imj budgeting for around 85g give or take a bit , in my case i can do all engine work and mechanical work as a semi retired mechanic put i will pay someone to do the wiring and trimming .
what ever way you go building or buying they will put a smile on ya dial for many a mile when ya out cruising .

cheers dean
Thanks dean, it's amazing how many people have been touched by the cars many years ago only to have the desire to have one lay dormant, until such time as we can make it happen. Even worse for you having had one, let it go and now that life is all the better with a wife that's into what your into. The pace car is now on my shortlist, it is all good news so far with that car.
boxhead likes this.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzza View Post
Thanks for the link muzza. I am not ready to pull the trigger yet, although at the moment I want a ford motor. It certainly is a nice bit of kit. Good luck with everything and if by chance it's still around when I ready, who knows.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I'm a sparks too Hoity, and started out like yourself without a solid budget.
I bought the basic body and chassis and then bought parts as they where required, affordable or if I had the cash.
Just like any complex task you will learn new skills and hone ones you had building a cobra.
As far as supplier support goes CR is sometimes a little disappointing, but the wealth of knowledge the other builders have is more important.
If you are really serious about building a cobra, get your butt to the nationals the weekend of the 2/3/4 and see what the differences are between kits and start building your new circle of mates!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I forgot to mention, what I liked most about the CR was that most of the parts are not custom one off bits, if I was to break a lower control arm on the front I can locate a jag part from anywhere and fix it. I didn't like the idea of having to buy parts from one supplier who may go out of business. I'm not saying anyone is going out of business in the cobra game but I wanted to future proof my car.
boxhead, Jaydee and Hoity like this.
Old 09-19-2015, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey gav, just took the wife out for breakfast and had the conversation. As you know that's grand final weekend here in Melbourne, which we of late have been going away for and watching the game on the TV in our camper trailer. Now I am suggesting we get up to Goulburn for the weekend, kill two birds with the one stone, so to speak.

I have some questions which I will post in the cobra nationals thread.

Thanks for the info on the CR, it's my preferred choice at the moment and given its pedigree appears to be a well engineered kit.

Why chev for you?
Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i forgot about the cr kits and also the g force kits as well best idea is to sit in a few and see how well you fit in them ...the old chev vs ford when i built my first one if you had anything but a ford engine you could almost get shot for treason .
alth there was the odd chev and 308 powered cars around and i also went for a ride in a rb 30 turbo powered cobra it was bloody fast but just looked and sounded wrong .

with ls engines been so cheap and plentiful nowdays and you can make good power out of them the stigma i feel about having a chev powered car is not as bad as it used to be well at least i dont think you will shot for treason ..

it's true a car built with jag bits parts will always be plentiful and cheap .
with my pace i will prob order a spare set of wishbones and uprights once the car is finished and have them for just in case . failing that im not all that concerned with the amount of different wishbones and uprights been used in speedway i am confident something could be adapted to fit after all its just metal & alloy and not something used on a space shuttle ..
a trip to the nationals will prob having you leave there with placing a order with one of the suppliers .
cheers dean
Hoity likes this.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Get your Missus in a Cobra for a ride......Once my Missus had a ride in one she was hooked and Cobra freedom fell my way.....infact she drove my last red Cobra more than me.....
deano59, boxhead and Hoity like this.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
i
a trip to the nationals will prob having you leave there with placing a order with one of the suppliers .
cheers dean
I am working on that
Cheers
Old 09-19-2015, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
Get your Missus in a Cobra for a ride......Once my Missus had a ride in one she was hooked and Cobra freedom fell my way.....infact she drove my last red Cobra more than me.....
That sounds like a plan.

Do they do rides via suppliers ect at the nationals or is it a visit to the manufacturers factory etc?
Old 09-19-2015, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you ask nicely I'm sure you will get plenty of offers