Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Even if you concrete isn't thick enough, all you have to do is run a triangle brace from the top of the hoist post to the sheds c section. That would relief a lot of pressure from the base.
JD
Old 08-02-2016, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14adrnln View Post
Has anyone seen or tried the Hero single post 2.5T portable lift? I know it only lifts to 1.75m but looks like it could be a good option to move out of the way once the cobra build is finished and the space is turned into my car collection museum.
I've seen these used, not sure it was the same brand, problem is where to store them when not in use. If you have the space, sure go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezakimak View Post
I would dearly love a hoist in the future.
My shed at the moment is 2400 below the rafters. 2500 between the rafters. So if I set it in the centre I could get the roof section to rise up between the two rafters. No going to leave much room though.

Will probably end up with a scissors lift table in the floor
I suffer similar circumstances. Low roof line and limited space.

My dream garage would look something like this:

But in lieu of having the cash and gumption to pull that off, and while I'm dreaming, I've been eyeing off one of these in-ground versions. http://powerrex.net.au/brochures/Powerrex_SL34DX.pdf

Similar to this:

But with this type of lift for more access under the cobra.

I love the way you can essentially store it away without issue (ie: buried).
I'm trying to convince myself to justify the spend but if I'm honest I'm pretty hopeless with any "real" automotive work. I figure maybe, just maybe, I could convince the myself and the wife it's an in-ground a table, it's more likely to see use that way.
ICCARS likes this.

Last edited by Dimis; 08-02-2016 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Inserting yt clips.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

That ^ lift is good for a flat bottomed car like a Porsche that doesn't require access to anything in the center. But for any other car, it would probably do damage to the underside and prevent proper access. Not a good universal design, imo.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny View Post
That ^ lift is good for a flat bottomed car like a Porsche that doesn't require access to anything in the center. But for any other car, it would probably do damage to the underside and prevent proper access. Not a good universal design, imo.
Agreed. That's why I'd go the dual in-ground scissor lift.
Also rubber blocks are used at the articulation/pick up points. So no damage is done to the underside of the car.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

I have a pneumatically operated scissor lift at home that sits outside more often than inside as it always seems to be in the way, and I don't use it that often - granted it is not an in-ground lift, so that might be a good option to consider; otherwise I would not recommend that type of lift...

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 08-02-2016, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison no. 9, Pace GT40 no. 14 build
Not Ranked     

Hi Scott, I have attached some photos of our recent shed build for reference, very similar in size to yours at 10m wide x 13m deep, 3m high walls, 15 degree pitch, I plan to install an overhead 2 post hoist, the generic brand hoist at our previous home worked well, installed it myself but had it checked over by a qualified inspector doing his rounds, the clearance to the roof is 3.9m at the post locations, concrete was thickened to suit, I also plan to put together a build trolley for the GT40 sometime soon, I feel both will be handy. All the best with the build, Derek

boxhead, Gav, schipps and 1 others like this.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

In my view the scissor lift (whether in ground or not) is only good for one thing, removing wheels. That's why they have them at tyre places. Underside access is way more important, what a waste of effort, space and money just to be able to remove your wheels?
boxhead likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
In my view the scissor lift (whether in ground or not) is only good for one thing, removing wheels. That's why they have them at tyre places. Underside access is way more important, what a waste of effort, space and money just to be able to remove your wheels?
I tend to agree BUT HOW COOL is it!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace427 Alumina #69
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all your shed and hoist ideas. I am leaning maybe towards one of these Hero Hoist's as I only plan on doing the 1 Cobra build at this location (and maybe some general tyre change maintenance. I also have the shed space in another workshop only a few meters away to store it when not in use so I can maximize my floor space instead of having to park cars through and around a permanent style lift. I got my plans finalized today on the new shed and it will be 12.8m x 10m x 4m height ceiling. Hopefully that gives me plenty of room to park 2 other cars and build the cobra at the same time. Cheers Scott
Old 08-02-2016, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 08-02-2016, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc7531 View Post
Hi Scott, I have attached some photos of our recent shed build for reference, very similar in size to yours at 10m wide x 13m deep, 3m high walls, 15 degree pitch, I plan to install an overhead 2 post hoist, the generic brand hoist at our previous home worked well, installed it myself but had it checked over by a qualified inspector doing his rounds, the clearance to the roof is 3.9m at the post locations, concrete was thickened to suit, I also plan to put together a build trolley for the GT40 sometime soon, I feel both will be handy. All the best with the build, Derek

Shed looks great. I was going to go barn style too but I have chosen to go wide span instead so I don't have internal posts to worry about (even though they do come in handy for power points and things).
Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry Derek...just realised yours is not barn style and is going to be more like mine. Good job.
Cheers Scott
Old 08-22-2016, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory five
Not Ranked     

A Lift makes all the difference. I'm about to buy another one.