Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Time constraint was the only issue with having passenger laps.
With the weather, we simply had no time spare to do anything else.
Gav likes this.

Last edited by Kimbo; 10-09-2016 at 02:49 PM..
Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm a newbie to both this forum and the Cobra Nationals and whilst I didn't participate in any way; I enjoyed the event and managed to take a few photos.
Attached Images

gjkrv8 and SydneyChris like this.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A few more pic's from the Nationals.
Attached Images

guye, LoBelly, schipps and 3 others like this.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Out of interest, why didn't that happen?
Due to the weather earlier, Simon, we ran out of event time. Competition events naturally take precedence over passenger laps. Unfortunately, time just ran out.

[edit] [doh! Sorry Kim, just saw you already replied! Oh well, it MUST be true then if we both said it ]

Last edited by guye; 10-10-2016 at 03:07 AM..
Old 10-10-2016, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Great pics Hawkeye!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Idea. With a magic number of say a guess of 90 cars (?) how about each of the dominant clubs Vic, Nsw, QLD are given an incentive that if the individual club reaches 30 paying participants a group discount on fees or disc on garaging etc is offered? Means some of the onus on the gee up reverts back to club levels rather than it being nats committee direct to the end participant.

Another suggestion (not mine) is clubs should all garage together in a group? I'm not a fan as I prefer pit row but it's a thought for open discussion.

Last edited by spookypt; 10-10-2016 at 03:58 PM..
Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Time constraint was the only issue with having passenger laps.
With the weather, we simply had no time spare to do anything else.
This is where a 2 day event and no Sunday falls over as in the case of this year Sunday was the savior to get through the program. Having that 3rd day just averages out the risk when weather affects the program as is often the case at WP. And for those travelling a fair way for track use you want your track time as high as possible.
Gav, Legless and Cobra72 like this.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Nats 2017 and onwards

Guy's,

A very relevant thread, I have been talking to Wazza and Kim about exactly this subject..............

From a purely Victorian perspective the following issues have been the main reasons for no-shows to the last few Nats.

1. Cost
2. Time
3. Dont want to race my car

I am sure the other Presidents have heard the same reasons.

The Victorian club has always been light on entrants based on total numbers compared to QLD who I see as the best comparison as they have to travel a similar distance. We average 15 entrants in a club of 140 financial members with a high of 22 a few years ago. The ratio is quite small, but we can get 30 cars booked for the Alpine Run in a week (similar cost and time). But the other half is able to attend without getting bored Sh***** at a race track .

So how to make the event more viable..........

Option 1. I agree with the 2 day track option, but I would think the Sat/Sun would be the better option as Friday is just practice. Friday can be the S & S and lunch cruise?

Option 2. Biennial, not the best option as we would lose the Long Weekend Date for good.

Option 3. Inviting OTHERS would be the last resort IMO.

Option 4. Sponsorship, its great to have and really appreciated but it will never be enough to offset the track cost increases and add-ons.

For those people offering their opinions and support its great, but remember that the people organising the events are volunteers from different backgrounds and they all have full-time jobs. I have been involved in the Shelbyfest Commitee for a number of years and it takes a lot of time to organise the event that is a third the size of the Nationals.

There are far greater minds out there than mine so I'm sure the event can continue and prosper.

Rohan
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another thought is if Friday was a SOTS Day WP would have to change their rego'd cars only policy for S&S days plus increase their DBA allowance LOL. Quite a few non rego cars come down (Paul G, Chunky H, Me, Mick W, Geoff T, Tony) plus plus and we all like to break things that day so we cant enjoy the rest of the weekend!

I'm just wondering if their is much more of a push for social/cruise type environment for the Nats why have it at WP? Just pick a nice B&B? I like how at a circuit guys can drive their cars legally and safely at speed in a controlled environment.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Also, without offending or pigeon holing I guess the reality is that most people who can afford these wonderful cars are perhaps of a more mature ilk and prefer to cruise rather than hang and fang around a race track? It'd be nice to think the event could support both interests but in the end this may not be possible.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     
Default Opinion only

It used to support both concepts, i don't know why it changed.
Everyone would Show and Shine Saturday morning then those that wanted to do the Saturday events did and Sunday those who wanted to race did and the others trundled off for a cruise/ lunch and came back for the dinners.
Either way they were all paying entries that supported the event.

Maybe do the S and S on Friday along with scruitineering then the multiple events in the afternoon/ Saturday Morning. Practice and Hot Laps on Saturday so people can set up cars for race on Sunday.
Those not racing can vollunteer to wave flags if they wish on the Saturday or do whatever around the local area then Cruise/ lunch on Sunday.

Fancy Dress was a hit on the one and only time it happened, bring it back Friday or Saturday Night.

End of the day we just need more entries to cover costs and do stuff to get these cars out of the garage and get back to the 100 odd entries that was the norm a short time ago.

Just an opinion
Cheers
albanycobra, spookypt and Cobra72 like this.

Last edited by BJ's Snake; 10-10-2016 at 10:34 PM..
Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

With Pace now in full production and a community developing around them hopefully nationals attendance numbers will improve.

One thought, Given the number of cars from all manufacturers being been built over the years has there been a corresponding increase in nationals attendance? Cars are rarely being written off or destroyed so the net number of Cobras must be on the increase. Is the issue more about getting new owners interested in the clubs and the events they run?

Is your average Cobra driver these days more interested in cruising than stretching the cars legs on the track?

Cheers

Old 10-10-2016, 11:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike maybe a lot more cobra owners aren't involved in the club scene or perhaps clubs don't have the same level of active participation they once did? Im not sure if QLD numbers are up or down...

I guess it comes down to increasing both the club interest at a state level and then participation levels once on board.
Old 10-11-2016, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     
Default My excuse..,

Lots of great thoughts.

I like the fact the event exists but have never attended as a "competitor" for the weeekend. The best I've managed is to turn up as a spectator on the infrequent occassion.

I just need my car operational to coincide with that weekend.
Then I need to find a way to entertain the family with two kids under 4 for the weekend.

I'm penciling it in on the calendar for next year.
I'm looking forward to attending my first in 2017 as a "participant" (competitor - would be an inaccurate description).

Thanks to all that have been involved in organising in the past.
All reports suggest that you've done a fabulous job!
Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

Just a suggestion why not open it up to non club cobras, fair chance there are a lot of people that don't want to be part of a club.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Damage,

the Cobra nationals is already open to any cobra, club or not, as far as I understood?
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

There you go didn't know that.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Currently open to members of the Cobra car clubs only.
Cheers
Old 10-11-2016, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
Just a suggestion why not open it up to non club cobras, fair chance there are a lot of people that don't want to be part of a club.
I understand the position of not choosing to be part of a club and I respect that wholeheartedly. Being a financial member for a nominal sum in turn does give you a fairly direct line of information as to whats going on car wise. You can put your foot in as far or as little as you want and it does give you opportunities like the Nats entry that you wouldn't otherwise be able to access.

But with that being said I do understand those who don't want to be part of a club.

Do you think though if the Nats was open to cobra/GT40 owners who are non club members that you and other Qlders who aren't members would participate at WP in their Cobras/GT40's?
Old 10-11-2016, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I think it's more about being held responsible for their members behaviour etc.
CCCNSW are held to account for whatever happens on their watch.
I don't think that a moderate joining fee would be a barrier.
Those who take part in the Nationals,should be just as interested in being part of the camaraderie ,rather than just getting on the track to win a trophy,and then never see them at any other gathering throughout the year.
I recon there's plenty of club members to fill the Nationals ,and make it all about the getting together of friends, and those keen on the Cobras and GT40s.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: