Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     
Default Let's rock the Nationals old school!

In the past 20 years I’ve organised well over 50 events for the Victorian Cobra club, about half of those were performance related (Shelbyfest, Deca, Mangalore, Heathcote etc.).
I’m amazed at how complicated people can make these things. Sometimes simple is the best.
Take the 10 years Tony and I ran ShelbyFest as an example. We just built the event around what we had. Sponsorship covered the big ticket items, and the entrant’s fees covered the variable costs associated with the number of competitors. We had a loss one year when Roaring Forties went under and stiffed us $2K but made up for it the next year. When we had extra cash we got an entertainer and bigger trophies. When we didn’t have the extra cash we scaled back. It didn’t matter if we had 20 competitors or 70 we always covered the bills.
Here’s where things get messy. The event gets more popular, so the organisers think they need to build the event bigger and give more value as the years go on. No! If costs start getting out of hand; start knocking back on the simple things first. Smaller trophies and less of, no freebie T-shirts and if you need to drop a day, then so be it. I’m sure Shelbyfest could have made a profit at Winton this year with a few tweaks and the same numbers as last year; just drop the skid pan, scale back the trophies and didn’t give out free T-shirts to everyone.
I don’t think people have the respect they should have for the Cobra Nationals anymore (maybe myself included). If 45 Cobra are where we are at; dump Wakefield and organise a retro Nationals in a regional setting such as West Wyalong. Run a few events on the airstrip and a go to woe on a back street. Have a big main street cruise, show and shine and make sure the whole community is involved.
Then once we get the love back in to the Nationals and Cobra numbers up, we can scale it to the next level again (but only baby steps or we end up where we are once more).
Maybe it’s time to give you a break NSW. Let’s book out a few motels a function centre, inform the local council and media and rock the Nationals old school once more!
The Nationals was not always about going fast and winning trophies.
North Victoria, Mid NSW or East SA; I’d travel there in a heartbeat to re-live the Nationals spirit from the late nineties and I think a lot of the ladies would as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

REPTYL would you come to QLD?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I think we established back on page 2 that turning the nationals into a predominantly social affair would be a disaster.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

spookypt. If I didn't have a young family and could take a week off, yes I would travel to QLD. Even now depending on the event I'd probably give it go.
The more Cobras driving up from Vic the more likely I would come.
That way the trip up becomes part of the whole experience.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
I think we established back on page 2 that turning the nationals into a predominantly social affair would be a disaster.
I've seen massive social turnouts in QLD, NSW and Vic. I threw a car show together about 10 years ago in Melbourne and got almost 100 cars.Why couldn't we get 200 Cobras to meet up somewhere in the middle of the Eastern states and call it the Nationals.

We could still have a race at Wakefield each year. Move Shelbyfest there scale it down and keep it simple.

a 200 Cobra social event is more 'Nationals' than 45 cars at Wakefield. A hell of a lot easier and cheaper to run. I think you'd be surprised how big an event it could be.

Last edited by REPTYL; 04-22-2017 at 06:36 AM..
Old 04-22-2017, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Making the nationals a predominantly social event had the largest negative response of any of the suggestions in the survey. Just saying..
Old 04-22-2017, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:
Making the nationals a predominantly social event had the largest negative response of any of the suggestions in the survey. Just saying..
If you asked me if I wanted to turn the current Wakefield weekend in to a predominately social weekend, I'd so no also, as it would be a disaster.

That's not what I'm proposing here.

Run a massive National car show/social event that brings the masses from all the states and costs stuff all.
Then run your separate Wakefield event over 1 or 2 days without the pressure and big cost of the current format.

You keep the racers happy, you keep the costs down, you get big numbers back to a National event and organisation for both of these events would be less than the current levels needed for the single event.
It's a win all round.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427 SC-S, 351W
Not Ranked     

Promotional girls would always be a plus...But I am a single guy and therefore by default sexist. A ride along would be great as well- it would bring enthusiasts into "thinking" into buying or realising we are all mad. Trying to get the time to get a vehicle to track may not be convenient as there is the time to get there. So location is important as a "National" event.. Even though the trip half the experience, then breaking it, is the adventure getting it home... It is a five + day event from most places other than NSW. But I hopefully I shall have my car built in time to compete, have some time off (not likely, I have to present to work) and if that all happens then you can all see how not to drive if I get there. Hopefully Nationals 2017...2018... Cheers, Pigsear.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, I've been asked to arrange the qld mob again this year as Ron will be hammering the nurdbergering in July and August.

Will be easy as per usual so stay tuned on a separate qldnats topic.

Spookypt
Old 07-04-2017, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Is there any update from NSW on the classes for this years Nationals? Or have I missed that somewhere in another thread?
Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

The Supp Regs for the Nationals are out - not in a very prominent location mind you. They haven't really attracted much attention yet because the online entry system needs one more change before we can go live (sometime in the next week).

http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/ed...ns%20Final.pdf

Thanks,
Kim
Old 07-05-2017, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ben, You sticking with us plebs in class 7 or going for class 3 glory this year?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just giving Kim a hand to spread the message. Here's some info or go direct to Cobra Car Club of NSW : Cobra Car Club of NSW for these and further updates.

Class 1 Explained
http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/ed...0Explained.pdf

Show and Shine explained
http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/ed...nd%20Shine.pdf

Garages
http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/ed...a%20Garage.pdf

Whats new
http://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/ed...39;s%20New.pdf
Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,
the 24th Cobra Nationals online entry form is now live.
Go to the below link to take you to the entry form page.

2017 Entry Form : Cobra Car Club of NSW

Kim
spookypt, schipps and Legless like this.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra Nats are fast approaching - Finally pulled my finger out and got my entry in over the weekend. If you have not booked your accomodation there are still rooms being reserved at Trappers\Mecure - they will be released to the general public on 8th Sept.

So who else is a starter this year?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Not me I'm afraid. :-(

Gotta got to London for work that overlaps. Tried everything possible to get out of it but no joy.

On a positive note - Got my Cobra back from Paintwerks after the front bingle repair and full respray. Looks awesome. Will post pics once I can get it out into the non-existent Melb sun.

Good luck to all - be safe. cheers Gregg (scratchless - for now - Cobra)
Gav likes this.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

all booked

looking forward to this fantastic weekend
Old 08-20-2017, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I'm going to be a no show too this year.
I am taking the 911 on a road trip a couple of weeks after and I won't feel like making the treck over twice in a month.
As hard as it may to believe, I'm sure it will still be fun without Greggy and I.
gjkrv8 and DaveW like this.