Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree251Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2016, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I certainly see it as a bit of a privilege for me to be able to compete (I'm laughing at me using the word "compete") at the Nats by being a club member. But I was curious as to whether as Damage suggested, if it was opened up to NCM would he choose or others alike choose, to attend? I'm guessing that if clubs aren't their thing perhaps a National gathering of clubs isn't either but it would eliminate that as being a part of the process in building going forward. I'm not picking on Damage in any way, just using it as an example of a QLDer, non club member who may or may not attend.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I hope that whatever happens, the Nationals stays as it is.

Although it is highly likely I wont compete again (Main reason for me is distance/cost, not cost of entry, but cost to attend, fuel, accommodation etc. For me to attend it is 2 weeks away from home and work).
I would most likely attend as a spectator again (but I will admit I find it frustrating watching and not competing), with any luck when we move, I will attend as it is only a 2 day drive each way.
I think the Friday should be more like an open practice (same as Friday at Shelbyfest).

I can honestly admit the few times I have attended has always been a great fun weekend with many laughs along the way.

Would it be worth opening up to non Cobra Club entries?
Maybe get the word out amongst car clubs, Facebook social media etc to simply get more competitors?
I am sure there are plenty of Cobra's out there whose owners may not be a member of a specific Cobra car club?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Im a member of the nswccc. I have only ever attended one meeting and one non nationals event in 8 years (Bathurst drivers parade last week) . I'm a member pretty much only to attend the nats. It's not expensive, and doesn't mean you have to be an active member. I just don't have a lot of time for a lot of the social stuff.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

I merely made a suggestion that I thought may be valid. Would I attend if there was no requirement to be a club member? Quite possible I would. I know a few other cobra owners that aren't members who the thought may appeal too also. Perhaps there are more in QLD to. Maybe if there was a different entry fee for non members it would also help with individual state memberships as well.

Just some suggestions to help.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

I didnt know that either, so i need to join the NSWCC to participate next year?
Old 10-12-2016, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

All suggestions are worthy for consideration mate and I appreciate all contributions to this topic. Another thing that may make non members an issue is that the qccc has its own insurances for members that gives certain coverage to its financial members for public liability etc.

That issue alone may make the idea of non member participation a no go.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanycobra View Post
I didnt know that either, so i need to join the NSWCC to participate next year?

No mate you're banned! You won't get through WP metal detectors.
Plus wouldn't you be an honorary QLDer now having had your car in residence here for quite some time.
albanycobra likes this.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Does that mean I can wear a Maroon coat at the Nats??
Old 10-13-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Its not often I have a big say but here's my 4 bob's worth. I think if you open it up to non CCC members you would need to expand the event, not consolidate it. This event would need to become a pure racing event as it appears that the majority of non-members that would be interested in it, are looking for racing events. It does seem to be almost that now.
Don't get me wrong, I love the racing aspect and could go round and round the track all week, but I think the nationals has lost the thing that once brought along most club members; the relaxed atmosphere, an enjoyable social event for partners, and events that all attendees were happy to enter.

I have attended all Nationals barring the first at Mildura in '94 and the last at West Wyalong (WW) in 2000, when my second daughter arrived. We consistently had in the order of 100 entries along with spouses and several families, both at WW and the early Goulburn meets. The Nationals was started as an event to bring all the members from across the states together for a National meet, before individual state clubs were formed. The events were low key and consisted of a Show and Shine, a Poker Run, and a Go to Whoa on a closed back street on Saturday and Motorkhana, Drags and a 1 kilometre sprint at the airport on Sunday. Some other novelty stuff like visiting the local weighbridge to determine most lightest and most lush Cobra. Not exactly adrenalin pumping stuff, and we were always looking to up the ante, but perhaps it has gone too far.

With insurance premiums escalating, and speeds getting faster, we had to take the events to a place that was intrinsically safe, hence Wakefield Park. This venue has encouraged us to go to the extreme – perhaps too far. Over the years I have spoken with or heard talk of guys liking the minor events but aren’t interested in the sprints, ladies or partners getting bored and finding no real interest in attending anymore. Previously there was only a hand full of guys there without their partners, now it would be 30%or more. This is also reflected in the amount of ladies driving in the current format. It is no longer an annual social event, apart from the dinners.

I’m not saying let’s go back to the old days, but let us at least learn from them.

I basically agree with Wazza’s thoughts in backing off from the track and introducing events/activities that all can join in, a good mix of track and off track events. Reducing the track days would certainly help in the budget. Yeh, yeh, I can hear the roar from the die-hard racers, but anyone who wants lots of circuit work can always fulfil their need at other dedicated track days. To get the entrants in to cover costs, we need to have an event that is attractive to all demographics, not just one. Goulburn has a good district road network and local towns, that would prevent repetitiveness in say poker runs or mystery drives etc.

I also see where Wazza is going with sub leasing the track on Sunday, but I doubt the track managers would go for that. I know any astute business mind wouldn’t, particularly when the track is already in high demand. The October long weekend Monday is not a holiday for all states, so would it hurt if we moved it to late Oct or early Nov? Weather would most certainly be better and more stable. I also heard over the course of the weekend, that the track management is receiving pressure and offers from others for our weekend, we could us this to negotiate a surrender for another favourable time slot.

The idea of joining in on their Lilac festival may not wash with a lot of the town folk. They are already invaded by race cars and other car clubs most of the year and while we think we’re special, they may not. We also may not wish to be tied to their time frames for having the cars immobilised, restricting our program for the day.

The event is a club event, if we keep the current format and invite others, we just become race promoters. Nothing wrong with that, however that would need to be a separate event and handsomely profitable for the club.
guye, boxhead, spookypt and 3 others like this.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good post Dave. Its good to hear what used to happen and what did/didn't work. I reckon nationally there's probably only really say maybe max 10 cars that are dedicated track cars that attend regularly (7 from QLD). Its probably fair to say that those cars would drop out of the weekend if the track time was reduced BUT that number would be easily made up of by new people who want more of a social event cruise type event. Whether QLD would get 7 + alternative people to drive their cars down there is a question maybe moreso for Wazza as he'd be more aware of Qld Club people looking for something different from the Nats.

Keep the ideas coming.
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
I hope that whatever happens, the Nationals stays as it is.

Although it is highly likely I wont compete again (Main reason for me is distance/cost, not cost of entry, but cost to attend, fuel, accommodation etc. For me to attend it is 2 weeks away from home and work).
I would most likely attend as a spectator again (but I will admit I find it frustrating watching and not competing), with any luck when we move, I will attend as it is only a 2 day drive each way.
I think the Friday should be more like an open practice (same as Friday at Shelbyfest).

I can honestly admit the few times I have attended has always been a great fun weekend with many laughs along the way.

Would it be worth opening up to non Cobra Club entries?
Maybe get the word out amongst car clubs, Facebook social media etc to simply get more competitors?
I am sure there are plenty of Cobra's out there whose owners may not be a member of a specific Cobra car club?
Exactly ditto for me.
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Yes Matt, I'm sure we would lose those race cars and any unregistered cars that may occasionaly attend. With the cost and time away from work/business, anyone coming long distances will want value, and for those cars it means track work as they obviously can't participate in any road events - in the cobra at least. As you said though, it may be more than made up for by others in favour of a variety of activities.

Maybe that now the state clubs offer so much variety, people don't feel the need to travel interstate for an event.
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3175
Not Ranked     

As a first timer to Nationals, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and liked the format.

That being said, I have to admit feeling a little 'selfish' giving up a long weekend (NSW) with the wife and kids to "go racing" - the concept of standing around watching me watching cars rip around a track has zero appeal to them. Furthermore, I am aware of at least two other owners who don't attend for the simple reason they don't want to put their car on a track (I suspect they may feel embarrassed by this and therefore simply avoid the event altogether)

If the goal is to increase participation / attendance, then surely the action is to create events that are more inclusive and engaging to a wider audience.

With this objective in mind, I would support other comments in this thread recommending limiting track activity to two days (subject to WP allowing a sublease) and/or an itinerary that provides alternative activities for those that don't want to participate in competition events. Those not participating in track events should have access to lower entry fees, albeit there may be an element of cross-subsidising if we're not able to release one of the track days to another club?

Non track events to attract a wider audience may include;

1. A charity drive to raise money for a particular charity (as a White Ribbon ambassador I'm happy to recommend this as an opportunity to raise awareness about preventing violence against women)....This gives the event a greater purpose.

2. A "Ladies Day"......Men chauffeuring their ladies on a wine tour (2 or 3 local wineries) to say thankyou for putting up with us and the love affair we have with our Cobras!

3. An orienteering race (all at street legal speeds of course) where each entrant is given a list of clues to follow to arrive at a secret location for a picnic/lunch

4. A convoy to Canberra to visit National museum of Australia, National gallery of Australia, Questacon, Australian war memorial or Parliament House (maybe send a message to parliament about icv' while we're there!)

I'm sure others have many more suggestions, but hopefully this illustrates the concept of attracting "others"

With regard to on track events, I personally could take or leave the slalom and drag events, but the super sprint laps are as close to heaven as I get.....more of this would be fine by me :-)

On a separate, but related note, I was learning a lot while listening to everyone talking about tyres and various performance parts.....I can't help think there are additional sponsorship opportunities for other/additional suppliers. And while I'm at it, a big shout out to the guys at Superformance, Absolute Pace, Stryker and others for supporting this event!

Kim, well done on a mighty effort thus far......As a NSW member, I understand I need to pull my finger out and lend a hand going forward, all in the hope we can get the word out and attract many more people to next year's event.

Cheers,
James
guye, Gav, Wazza and 6 others like this.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I for one could guarantee my wife Josie would be keen on a wine tour!!!
boxhead and Cobra72 like this.