Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-28-2004, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I almost forgot,

Thank you for you help Ron. Your solutions sound good but too expensive for me I think.

Regards

Cameron
Old 02-03-2004, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB - 302, T5, VN Rear
Not Ranked     
Question

Cameron,

How did you get on fitting the motor ? Post an update when you get a chance.

Cheers,
dan
Old 02-03-2004, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

Still not received a reply from Peter at GT40 Australia.

I went and saw Graham Docker (DRB agent in Victoria). He spoke to Peter and reckons Peter was shocked that the motor does not fit.

I bolted in the transmission on Sunday. The mount holes are in the wrong position for this transmission. Apparently its normally a simple process but its not going to be on mine. Graham said he would come over and have a look on Saturday so I'll give you another update after that.

How's your beast going?

Cameron
Old 02-04-2004, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB - 302, T5, VN Rear
Not Ranked     

Hi Cameron,

Thats not like Peter not to get back to you, he has been very responsive and helpful the couple of times I have contacted him. Hopefully Graham can help you sort it.

My car is all wired up now , I used a Painless wiring harness that made the job only half as bad as I thought it would be.... All the handles and latches are also on so it's starting to look the part.

Just need an engine and gearbox and I'm pretty much done (yeah right!) At least I'll be able to start it up and drive it up the driveway - so what if its on skinny rims, unpainted and no upholstery

Still undecided on engines, but I'm leaning towards a simple carbureated 302 (maybe stroked to 347) and T5 trans - we can still get way with this setup in NZ (along with the working side pipes, the twin wipers, speedos in MPH - man we have it good - for the moment anyway!)

Let me know how you get on this weekend.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 02-11-2004, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UPDATE

Graham Docker came over on Saturday and took some photo's.

Graham says he can fix the Tranmission mount problem pretty easily.

The engine is another matter. It seems I do have a GT40 manifold which seems to be the one that creates problems for Cobra owners.

Peter from DRB emailed me today. He and Graham seem to think that if I change the angle of the engine (ie. level it up a bit instead of having it tilted back) it will go some way to fixing the situation. Unfortunately I have already tried this and it make virtually no difference except that the diff and transmission become badly missaligned height wise.

So now I'm waiting for their next suggestion, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to put a bigger scoop on.

Cameron
Old 02-15-2004, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Cameron,

Attached is a photo which may assist.

My scoop is approx 630mm long and 600mm wide with a 50mm opening at the front (narrowest point).

Engine fits snug (approx 5mm clearance) with the only problem being the air intake pipe rubbing the scoop under hard acceleration (one of those felt pads prevents any paint damage).
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2004, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Peter,

Great pic of your engine. I can clearly see now why mine is causing trouble. Your intake manifold drops away at the side where as mine is square.

The dimensions of your scoop are much higher than mine. Mine is 20mm above the bonnet. Sounds like yours would do the trick.

I have a great offer for you. Lets swap bonnets, mine just needs paint.

Can you confirm for me that this was a standard item you purchased from DRB? How long ago did you get it?

If possible I'd really appreciate a side on pic of your bonnet.

Regards

Cameron
Old 02-16-2004, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB COBRA, 302W, GT40 manifold, E303 cam, Trickflow alloy heads, supra gearbox, LSD, commodore brakes, Autronic computer. The car was modified by Doug Pearce
Send a message via ICQ to Alvin
Not Ranked     

hey cam are you using the gt40p manifold with the ribs on the side??????
Cause l just changed mine from the standard to the gt40 ones and l might have a problem!!!!
My car is still down at Dougs if you want to have a look!!!! Im down there till Wednesday

ALvin

akyong1@optusnet.com.au
Old 02-16-2004, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cameron,

You can double check with Peter Ransom, but as far as I am aware it was the standard EFI scoop (built 2000 / 2001)

One note - my air intake drops away as the air filter is mounted just in front of the radiator (more efficient).

Found a side on pic of the scoop (at the paint shop). Will post later.

Hey.....

I know a certain Cobra fanatic who has a custom patented scoop (doubles up as a boogy board).
Old 02-16-2004, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Alvin,

Yeah I saw your manifold at Dougs the other day. Looks the same as mine, except yours is nice and shinny. So I guess they fitted GT40 manifolods to the 220kw XR8's. I'll try and get down to Dougs later today if possible.

Peter,

I've sent an email to Peter Ransom re the scoop.

The Robnel's seem to have the air filter in front of the radiator too. Seems like a good idea. How is it mounted, ie..is it a stock piece or made up from scratch. I've been thinkiing of making something from fibre glass. Cant wait to see that side pic of your scoop.

Have fun

Cameron
Old 02-16-2004, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scoop attached (minus stripes).

Hope it helps.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2004, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cameron,

Intake photo attached.

What you don't see is the 100mm flexy pipe running under the wheel arch and the filter mounted in front of the radiator.

Note a special bracket was needed to mount the filter to the rad (blue tac).

It's never come off and allows the filter to flex in the heat.

If it works don't fix it

Attached Images

Old 02-17-2004, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

That's a pretty good advertisment for BluTac !!!

Your scoop looks big in that photo - much bigger than when it's on the car.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB2000 Ford XR8 5lt HO roller rockers Jag running gear
Not Ranked     

Cameron,
I have just been going over all this regarding the engine to high, my drb is arriving next week and I have a xr8 au engine waiting to go in but it looks like I will have to change my engine mounts also, which model did you use.

Regards Chris
Old 02-17-2004, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,

Not sure if you will have the same problem or not. You are using the Jag front where as I am using the LH Torana front end. The mount points may be different so your engine might sit a little lower.

Also might depend on the year of your motor. Mine has a GT40 manifold with a 70mm throttle body. As far as I know only the 220kw models had this throttle body. Earlier model manifolds seem to curve downwards on the drivers side where as the GT40 is more square.

As far as the engine mounts go: If your AU mounts are these huge round steel things with a shinny bracket underneath then they will lift your motor about 35mm higher than the old style standard 302 mounts, so I suggest you sell them. Apparently they are filled with oil so must be great for reducing vibration. Somebody told me the cost heaps so maybe you can sell them.

You can purchase standard 302 mounts from most auto suppliers. No drama.

Thanks for the pics Peter,

Thats a big help.

I got an email from Peter Ransom today. He says the scoop was designed for a customer who wanted to keep the plate that covers the distributor wiring (like yours). Apparently a few cobras have this scoop. He still thinks mine will fit under the standard scoop if I just rotate the throttle body. I have cut through the bottom skin now so I'll remove the throttle body sensor to test the theory.

Cameron
Old 02-17-2004, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Chris,

Just thought of something.

Does your motor have coil packs or a distributor. If it has a distributor then you probably have the older style intake manifold and will be OK.

If you have coil packs I can just about guarantee you that you will have to mount them lower or remotely mount them. With the coil packs on, my bonnet was about 300mm above deck.

Good luck.

Cameron
Old 02-18-2004, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB2000 Ford XR8 5lt HO roller rockers Jag running gear
Not Ranked     

Thanks Cameron,

I will chase up some 302 mounts, I felt that the AU ones would be to high but until the body turns up next week I can't tell, yes my engine has coil packs so I might have to move them.

Chris
Old 02-18-2004, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UPDATE:

Cut through the inner skin of the bonnet and the engine is still too high.

Peter says I can not lower the engine. Apparently the limiting factor here is the bell housing. It just cant be any lower (100mm).

Peter says I have 2 options.

1) Change the intake manifold(plenim chamber) to and earlier model.

2)Use the large bonnet scoop like Peter Craigs.

Actually I'm not sure even the large bonnet scoop will be enough as I've just noticed that throttle body inlet is just shy of the side of the current scoop and Is one third covered. Which means I would not be able to fit an intake tube. From photo's it looks like earlier manifolds hade the intake closer to the mid line of the motor.

Decision time

Cameron
Old 02-18-2004, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Post a pic Cameron so that I can see exactly where your problem is.

Pictures speak louder than words!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Is it just corner of the plenum on the manifold that has clearance problems? Depending on how much clearance you need it might be feasable to trim the corner off the plenum and weld a plate in to give a bit more room. Reducing the volume of the plenum a little won't have much of an affect on HP as long as it doesn't restrict any of the runners.

You could swap the manifold for an earlier version for rego and then save up your $$$ for an 8 throttle body set up.

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: