Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   The POOL ROOM (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/91647-pool-room.html)

BMK 02-24-2009 04:30 AM

Clois,

Still a little time left for cruising. The GT40 engine upgrade is finished and I'm just finishing some aluminium work/panels.

Not sure on the radio..:confused:. I find I use an iPod on longer trips. Breaks the boredom, but yes still love the sound of side pipes - guess I'll miss the Cobra..:3DSMILE:

trularin 02-24-2009 05:16 AM

BMK, I know what you mean, I use an MP3 player and headphones. Work great!

:D :D

Rob. Smith 02-25-2009 03:05 AM

As Law inforcement officers like to read these sites it is good to know and tell others that the headphones have one side totally disconnected and the sound insulation is rendered inoperative on that side. These headphones may look standard but they are extensively modified ( like all Cobras ) to meet the required ADR standards. I have discussed this with several law enforcement officers and it seems that Doof Doof car drivers don't recognise the use of the modified headphones and prefer a system that can be shared with the rest of the neighbourhood. :p

BMK 02-25-2009 05:02 AM

Rob.Smith

Rob,

It goes to say that we would not break the lawww..:LOL:

Seriously my headphones are great for cruising and I still hear someone talking. Not to mention the sound of sirens as I'm pulled over..**)

BMK 02-25-2009 05:04 AM

Trularin

Mmmm I have them on full when in the car with Anne...:LOL:

Hope all is well there. Did you get snowed in. Any pictures of the winter there this year..:confused:

Talk soon

Bernie

Clois Harlan 02-25-2009 11:04 AM

Bernie,

Our winter has been more of an inconvenience than any normal winter. 70 deg F today but Friday will be in the 50's. Plenty of times to get out an take a cruise every month if you want. Evenings and nights get fairly cool (30's or 40's) but after all we are still in February. Fireplace feels good in the evenings and a jacket until noon on most days.

Clois

BMK 02-25-2009 12:33 PM

Clois

Summer here has been a real mixed lot. No doubt you guys have seen footage of the fires and heard that we experienced extreme temperatures of over 46c - 125f+.

But day to day varies so much. Anne was only saying recently, that she packs two lots of clothes - day to day is so different.

The big dry is still here - we may need to build a Route 66 to get away from the dust bowls and head east or west..:LOL:

Stay safe

Bernie

Rob. Smith 02-26-2009 01:56 AM

G'Day Folks,
I'm changing the subject somewhat. I work inthe power industry and am curious about the US power supplies. I like to look at "Garage Journal". it's about sorting your garage and shows some amazing set-ups. What I'm trying to understand is the general power supplies available in the general domestic situation. I have read 110v, 220v and 400 v. Here in Aus. 240v is standard...415v is industrial and special for the house/ shed (3 Phase for the spa, giant air con...or maybe a welder ). Can anyone give me the low down on what's the common USA supply setup. By the way does anyone know someone that works in a power station that I can have a yarn with.
Rob. Smith

WKB 02-26-2009 02:46 AM

Rob,
I do, but as I am in Australia only know about as much as you. There single phase is 110vac 60hz, I think there is a domestic 3 phase around 220vac. Like you said there is also 3 phase around 380 - 400v.

Warren

Clois Harlan 02-26-2009 05:20 AM

110 V 60 cycle is common house current that runs most appliances, TV's, Radio's, Computer's, and lights. Most A/C units operate on 220 V as do many welders, electric dryers, generators, or heavy duty shop equipment. 440 V is pretty much industrial.

Since I am not an electrician I am guessing here when I say most household devises are single phase where as the heavy duty stuff normally use multi-phase power sources.

Clois

Rob. Smith 02-27-2009 01:33 AM

Clois, Thanks for the heads up thats what I was after. Warren which Power Station do you work in ?

WKB 02-27-2009 01:46 AM

Rob,

Swanbank "E" west of Brisbane.

Warren

BMK 02-27-2009 03:26 AM

All you need to know is to hook prior to the meter...:LOL:

Mulv 02-27-2009 10:16 AM

Since Mulv has extensive experience with USA style power...

We have 60 cycle 110-120 - 115 v average single phase supply that covers about 90% of domestic items 2 or 3 wire ground dependant

We have 220-240v dual phase / neutral for things like welders and clothes dryers.. 3 wire

We have 220-240 3 phase / ground for large electric motors that are phase wound like in large computer discs and trolly cars 4 wire

We have 380 v Y connected for some office lamps

We have 415 delta connected for more efficient office lighting..

Just assume that any item of low current will be 115 and any item of high current will be 220

Now it is clear, yes? :JEKYLHYDE :LOL:

Cheers

Mulv

Mulv 02-27-2009 10:17 AM

Bernie

Check this out at the 5 minute mark or so - the Pavillions car show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjb4yGyaw9Y

Rob. Smith 02-28-2009 12:26 AM

1 Thanks for the helectrikal info and 2 Thanks for a look at the car show...It makes our hotrod shows look like a billy cart race. Wonderful !

Rob. Smith 03-01-2009 02:01 AM

Mulv you speak like Yoda do you have extraterrestrial powers ? ;)
Ps. Thanks for the heads up on the power supplies.

Mulv 03-01-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob. Smith (Post 925365)
Mulv you speak like Yoda do you have extraterrestrial powers ? ;)

I think that Bernie will concur that I am indeed "Spaced Out" .....**)

You are welcome Rob! The 5 minute mark more or less is Mulv in my underpowered Mustang. Bernie took a ride in that anemic auto..:LOL: His hair was black when he got in...

That show has 8 rows of cars, generally about 300-500 every week, no fees , no trophies - just car guys who show up to have fun and shoot the breeze..

Cheers
Steve

BMK 03-04-2009 03:16 AM

Mulv,

Mmmm the Mustang, now that was fun..But I should mention the midnight race around Scottsdale, Arizona in the 60's Corvette...**)

This I like, but it was gone when I arrived in Texas at Jays. Was looking forward to a run around the Texas streets in this fastback.
..**)

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._Medium_2_.JPG

Now here is the Mustang that we raced the streets of Scottsdale in around midnight....**) and the Gt40 that Hersh and I drove across the USA in..**)

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...m/100_0672.JPG

BMK 03-04-2009 03:20 AM

Mulv,

When I arrived at Jays in Texas this Shelby fastback Mustang in the above Post was already gone. Now it would have been the ride home for me to LAX.Cal. Shipped to Melbourne...**). Jay didn't even think of me he just Sold it...:eek: